• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This chapter was really random... I didn't understand shit about what was happening. What a mess.

Sanji and co... weren't they in front of Big Mom the last time we saw them? Then, from nowhere, they are fighting someone... I was expecting a explanation of what they have been doing.

And then, from nowhere, Kaidou.

Seriously... completely random.

I think it's neat how Oda is staggering all of the Dressrossa follow-up segments instead of making whole chapters about them. Otherwise, this is definitely a chapter worthy of 800, so it begs the question...Big Mom reveal maybe?

Also, wonder if they'll show the Kidd Alliance fighting Kaido off-screen, or if they even fight at all. Can't wait until next week!

What's so special about the 700th chapter again? Does Oda do something special for each hundred chapters or something?
From Reddit:
Reddit said:
100: introduction of Dragon, SHs off to the Grand Line

200: Luffy begins 3rd & final fight with Crocodile

300: Skypiea victory party

400: SHs begin attack Enies Lobby

500: introduction of Rayleigh, screen time for Kidd's & Law's crews

600: reunion of the Straw Hats after TS

700: reveal of current Shishibukai, Fujitora first mentioned, Mera Mera fruit shown in Doffy's hand

The reunion of the strawhats didn't actually happen until 601, and the timeskip ended a few chapters before 600 as well.

Ah, noted.

I honestly don't think too many major things happen on specific 00 digits but something is always happening within 5 chapters or so, like an arc ending or beginning.

Like this fucking chapter.

Ah, noted.

I honestly don't think too many major things happen on specific 00 digits but something is always happening within 5 chapter or so, like an arc ending or beginning.

Like this fucking chapter.

I mean, I feel like that's more because of how Oda paces his arcs than anything. Also huge things happen fairly frequently in OP, so it's not hard to find events that could be considered major happening at around the 100 mark. I honestly think the only one that was actually timed to the mark was 100 itself

I mean, I feel like that's more because of how Oda paces his arcs than anything. Also huge things happen fairly frequently in OP, so it's not hard to find events that could be considered major happening at around the 100 mark. I honestly think the only one that was actually timed to the mark was 100 itself

It's all sexy!

SalvaPot

I got a few Enies Lobby figures last comic-con and wanted to share them

tumblr_nsc036PbAA1qgeu8jo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsc036PbAA1qgeu8jo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsc036PbAA1qgeu8jo3_1280.jpg

Squishy3

yeah well i'm going to go brave pixiv

only these two images so far but it was worth it... although judging by the rest of the person's pixiv i'm scared of what will be to come

OV6ZtkA.jpg

jBV80nb.jpg

I got a few Enies Lobby figures last comic-con and wanted to share them

Yeah I saw those at anime expo, very emotional scenes and they look really awesome :).

The bomb that was sent to big mom's ship with candy from fishman island exploded on her ship and Sanji and the rest were able to escape.

Anteater

That tattoo looks like a serpent (with a skull as its head) coming out of his chest and wrapping around his left arm.

I suppose he's just naturally strong even without DF or not a DF user, since he's been captured before and couldn't be killed, usually DF users are fucked when they're handcuffed by kairoseki, unless there's something special about his strength. I'm not entirely sure about the rules, but I remember a DF user loses his/strength along with their DF power in water/handcuffed.

I can't see him not being a DF user though.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/56142145faf598f8143d963a0467035c/tumblr_inline_nsav31pkmg1t5wngt_500.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://40.media.tumblr.com/d4e8d3ef22d5ad23c1227d2a4d93a579/tumblr_inline_nsav3pm3Q61t5wngt_500.png[IMG]

LOL. The first translation was incestuous as fuck. That's why I don't visit that site anymore.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I caught that too. My first thought was that the use of the word "queen" was very strange.

[quote="mrmickfran, post: 173589978"]Guys, Dressrosa lasted nearly 100 chapters.

Holy shit.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Lunar15, post: 173590215"]This is the first time in [I]over a year[/I] that we've seen Sanji, Nami, Chopper, or Brook.[/QUOTE]

It's funny how people bring these two things up after almost every chapter, lol. We get it, guys. We know.

Honestly the tattoo looks more like fish scales than a dragon or snake tattoo. Koi tattoos are apparently quite popular and their symbolism meshes more with Kaidou. His moustache is also quite Koi like.

Grexeno

The Kidd alliance is so hilariously outmatched against Shanks. They may or may not know that the giant monster that just fell into their base is Kaido, and they're immediately shitting their pants.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love how the Yonko are all gigantic monsters, and then there's Shanks, who looks like a normal dude.

The Kidd alliance is so hilariously outmatched against Shanks. They may or may not know that the giant monster that just fell into their base is Kaido, and they're immediately shitting their pants.

I really hope we get to see some of their fight, but I feel like Oda will skip over it and just show them on the verge of death at the end of a chapter or something.

Lunar15

I think it's worth mentioning too, because whenever people say "don't complain about the pacing, you're just not used to reading it week to week!" I think it's important to see how few things happened in one of the longest arcs ever.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dressrosa and when read together it makes more sense, but I can't deny that there's a lack of focus and tightness that's bloating up arcs here.

Jigolo

those guys are gonna get spanked. This reveal to me felt to me like a place for Oda to showcase the power of the Yonkou.

EDIT: FUCK. Odas world building skill is so incredible. I can't stop thinking of the possibilities

Lunar15

Random, unrelated one piece thought of the day: The New Fishman Pirates were actually kind of a decent example of ignorant hate groups. Felt different from how that stuff is usually handled. A lot of people got upset when hody said that "nothing" was the reason he was so hateful, but that's kind of exactly what happens.

It's not a great example nor a perfect one, or even one that's needed, but props to Oda for approaching that from a different kind of angle.

Random, unrelated one piece thought of the day: The New Fishman Pirates were actually kind of a decent example of ignorant hate groups. Felt different from how that stuff is usually handled. A lot of people got upset when hody said that "nothing" was the reason he was so hateful, but that's kind of exactly what happens.

It's not a great example nor a perfect one, or even one that's needed, but props to Oda for approaching that from a different kind of angle.

I actually thought the exact same thing, it was really intriguing showing the empty hatred Hody was conditioned to feel.

Lunar15

I actually thought the exact same thing, it was really intriguing showing the empty hatred Hody was conditioned to feel.

I just got done watching the "why are you so angry" youtube series on Gamergate and hate groups, and it just made me kind of think about that. You have this kid who grew up around hate without any experience and context, formed this mental vision of how the world is, and then tricked other people who had genuine concerns into joining a horrible campaign. They twisted a good message into a really, really bad one just for the sake of having something to fight.

In some ways, the Fishman District is like what happened with Reddit: you had this big, insular echo chamber that allowed hate to fester, so the King was like "ehhhh how about we not have that place anymore". It's easy to say, "eh, those guys over there, they're not us, so it's not a big deal", when I think a lot of people realized that it's likely something they all kinda harbored in one way or another.

I don't want to trivialize real world issues by comparing them to a funny cartoon, but there's some parallels there that I found interesting.

Chariot

A normal dude who sacrificed his arm and effectively nerfed himself for "making a bet for the future".

Shanks is such a mystery.
But you gotta say, he and his crew look hillariously normal compared to all other top-tier pirates. Actually, could Shanks be racist? He got only humans, no giants, no DF users, no beasts, no anything that isn't human without devil fruit powers. Hell, no women and his guys are tanned at best.
He probably isn't, but his crew is really really ethnically uniform as far as we saw them.

SalvaPot

But you gotta say, he and his crew look hillariously normal compared to all other top-tier pirates. Actually, could Shanks be racist? He got only humans, no giants, no DF users, no beasts, no anything that isn't human without devil fruit powers. Hell, no women and his guys are tanned at best.
He probably isn't, but his crew is really really ethnically uniform as far as we saw them.

Well, we know what, 3 members of his pirate crew? All the others seem like background characters so far, so it won´t surprise me if we see more variety on his crew later on. Also its been years since we last saw them all, normally when the story goes to present Shanks we only see him and the same 3 members.

Chariot

Would be cool if Shanks only recruited non Devil Fruit users. Highly unlikely, but would be cool.
Well, that is literally what he tells Luffy. He wan't a crew where everyone can swim, which makes DF users an impossible choice.

Well, we know what, 3 members of his pirate crew? All the others seem like background characters so far, so it won´t surprise me if we see more variety on his crew later on. Also its been years since we last saw them all, normally when the story goes to present Shanks we only see him and the same 3 members.
We saw some group shots of his crew with one slightly big guy and of course the Lucky Roo, but I believe giants or half-giants would've stood out in a way. Unless he didn't take them with him because of reasons.

SalvaPot

He's not saying Shanks looks weak, he's saying Shanks looks like a normal-sized regular guy, which he totally does.

I agree with him x), weird, how are people reading sarcasm into my post? I am adding to what he is saying, Shanks look totally normal and that makes him even a bigger badass.

Umibozu

Hello one piece gaf.

I had mentioned this:
''I'm guessing kaidou has some kind of devil fruit power that gives him the devil's luck (bad luck). Which would explain why it lists all the times he lost and why he failed at even killing himself, but still managed to become one of the four emperors''
in the manga OT and didn't get much of a response.
Now I know it doesn't fall into what someone would think the logia, zoan or paramecia would be. I would still think it could be a paramecia type.
I was just wondering is what I said off base or is it a commonly held view?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hello one piece gaf.

I had mentioned this:
''I'm guessing kaidou has some kind of devil fruit power that gives him the devil's luck (bad luck). Which would explain why it lists all the times he lost and why he failed at even killing himself, but still managed to become one of the four emperors''
Now I know it doesn't fall into what someone would think the logia, zoan or paramecia would be. I would still think it could be a paramecia type.

Eh, given what we've seen so far that seems rather unlikely. It's kind of a crappy power and doesn't really seem like the sort of thing Oda would think up. Personally I think whoever had the Ope Ope Fruit power before Law was on his crew and, for some reason, gave him immortality.

Squishy3

Actually we're probably due for a Shanks appearance soon, right? Probably for when the Straw Hats' bounties inevitably go up because of Dressrosa.

Hello one piece gaf.

I had mentioned this:

I guess that all devil fruits are like doing a deal with the devil so he could have a devil fruit power like the luck luck fruit. I guess it would be a power like Midas turning everything he touches to gold. Being captured and tortured doesn't seem very lucky but before I compared him before to Brook who ate the revive revive fruit and that didn't exactly work out as he wanted.

This is a manga where one of the most powerful devil fruit powers is the hobby hobby fruit so something weak sounding is just as likely to be super strong as something called the ultimate annihilating mecha dragon jesus fruit.

If he has some luck type power we might see Basil Hawkins comment on it in some way.

I think that his symbolism matches up with Luck. The suicide attempt could be seen as him "testing his luck" before a big challenge rather than wanting to die. The opening of the chapter with Fujitora explains this theme. His tattoo looks like a Koi which is associated with luck amongst other things.

Commonly held views on Kaidou are mostly just wild speculation from before we knew anything about him other than his name or based on the not much more we have seen this week. It's interesting to me to hear different ideas about what he is supposed to see and Oda always tries to surprise so commonly held views should be wrong pretty often.

Hello one piece gaf.

I had mentioned this:

No way. I'm calling 0% chance on that being the case.

Now this is some epic fanart

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e535f797e43e812b2657e3d2849c6ad2/tumblr_nsd82hf7gX1so8w78o1_1280.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom