• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Female reindeer has a bounty of 50 beli as well, falls in love with Chopper & they combine bounties to 100 beli. Oh btw she probably loves cotton candy too.

Frog-fu

Banned
This Kaidō don't look like the boss of a criminal enterprise. Doesn't strike me as the type that would want to interfere at Marineford either, or care about artificial Devil Fruit.

He really just looks like a me-too One Piece version of Kenpachi.

And those horns look dumb.

This Kaidō don't look like the boss of a criminal enterprise. Doesn't strike me as the type that would want to interfere at Marineford either, or care about artificial Devil Fruit.

And those horns look dumb.

Kaidou doesn't really look or act like Kenpachi at all. Not to mention that Oda has no reason to copy from a substantially less popular manga than his own, especially with Kenpachi being pretty much only popular in the west

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
He also has the added topping of running Oda gag.

That's fine with me.

Kaidou doesn't really look or act like Kenpachi at all. Not to mention that Oda has no reason to copy from a substantially less popular manga than his own, especially with Kenpachi being pretty much only popular in the west
I think he meant in terms of "wild super strong guy who does what he wants", in which case, I can see that.

He also has the added topping of running Oda gag.

That's fine with me.

I think he meant in terms of "wild super strong guy who does what he wants", in which case, I can see that.

That's really fucking vague and not really something unique to Kenpachi at all. But seriously, Kenpachi is the axe crazy guy who gets off on fighting strong opponents, and seeks thrills in combat even when it means lowering his own strength to his opponents level, whereas Kaidou just seems really, really fucking bored of life because nobody can seem to actually kill him, regardless of what they try.

Lunar15

One funny thing I noticed is how oda absolutely refused to show Kaidou's eyes. He places so much importance on eyes, as he said they contain the full personality of a character. He even went so far as to put a speech bubble right over Kaidou's eyes.

Contrast this with Big Mom, who's eyes are pretty much the only part of her face that we've seen well.

Also, his quote about Whitebeard is interesting: I'm curious as to whether or not that translation is accurate. If it is, I think he's likely upset that Whitebeard is dead because Kaidou thought he was his best shot at attaining death.

WHAT
WHAT
MEGATOOON

I guess this chapter confirms that Capone wasn't on their side, as they had to escape from Big Mom.

I didn't think Oda would show Kaidou so soon. Do you think his immortality stems from his devil fruit power? Those people on the island Sanji and co. are on were part of Kaidou's crew right?

Also, lol at Brook and Momo in the water.

nice chapter, I NEED THE NEXT ONE. I'm super interested in this war he's taking about.

Honestly, if anything, Kaidou's personality reminds me more of Saitama from One Punchman than anything else, just without the heroic aspects

yeah this seems pretty accurate to me haha

Frog-fu

Banned

It's the vibe I'm getting from him. This big, dumb brute that's too stubborn and "badass" to die. Frankly, OP didn't need another one of those, and if it did, Kaidō is an odd choice because he was foreshadowed as a sinister force behind a vast criminal enterprise that posed a real threat to the status quo. Not some quarter giant with a death wish.

The bold doesn't make the slighest amount of sense. Good ideas are good ideas, regardless of how poorly executed by another.

Lunar15

If he wants to start a big war, I'd imagine he'd do it with at least one of the other Yonkou.

I wonder if that's what we're moving towards: A war between Yonkou?

It's the vibe I'm getting from him. This big, dumb brute that's too stubborn and "badass" to die. Frankly, OP didn't need another one of those, and if it did, Kaidō is an odd choice because he was foreshadowed as a sinister force behind a vast criminal enterprise that posed a real threat to the status quo. Not some quarter giant with a death wish.

The bold doesn't make the slighest amount of sense. Good ideas are good ideas, regardless of how poorly executed by another.
How can a guy who's actively trying to kill himself be to stubborn to die lol?

Also nothing in this chapter suggested he was dumb or a brute. If anything, he came off as way less of a brute than I expected from the way he was personally described before where he seemed to be super short tempered and willing to kill people over the slightest inconvenience

If he wants to start a big war, I'd imagine he'd do it with at least one of the other Yonkou.

He's heading out to fight Doflamingo. I know Mangastream is a bit ambiguous on that, but it's definitely against Doflamingo from what I've heard from far more reliable translators than them

Lunar15

He's heading out to fight Doflamingo. I know Mangastream is a bit ambiguous on that, but it's definitely against Doflamingo from what I've heard from far more reliable translators than them

Ah, so he's saying he wants to go fight "Joker" after hearing about his failure?

Panda says: "Dammit Joker, get ready for the last fight you'll ever have!", while Stream says something along the lines of "Make the preparations, Joker! We're gonna fight the biggest damn war, ever!"

Very confusing. MP even says "Whitebeard did a number on me", while MS says "That ol' whitebeard, he's gone and done it now". Those can mean wildly different things.

Either way, all translations paint him as a nihilist. He doesn't give a shit about the world or who he fights, he just wants everything to burn, including himself. I kind of like how Oda is setting up the Yonkou's motivations:

Big Mom: For Consumption
Whitebeard: For Family
Shanks: For Fun?? (Adventure - see: what he told luffy)
Kaidou: For Destruction
Blackbeard: The one we don't really know. For dreams? His motivations kind of seem like twisted version's of Luffy's.

Of course, all of these are subject to change as we learn more, but this is the general feel I'm getting.

Ah, so he's saying he wants to go fight "Joker" after hearing about his failure?

More like he wants to go fight Doflamingo because of Caesar's kidnapping meaning no more SMILEs, and hasn't actually heard yet that Luffy beat him (remember, his men were rushing around trying to find him to tell him the news, but he was nowhere to be found because he was on the sky island at that point)

Lunar15

More like he wants to go fight Doflamingo because of Caesar's kidnapping meaning no more SMILEs, and hasn't actually heard yet that Luffy beat him (remember, his men were rushing around trying to find him to tell him the news, but he was nowhere to be found because he was on the sky island at that point)

Right: I know kaidou knows about the Ceasar getting kidnapped/the SAD refinery being destroyed, but likely not doflamingo's defeat at the hands of Luffy - unless within the day he saw the news in the paper. This is unlikely, though.

This is why we need a really good translation, because it honestly could go either way.

*reads newest chapter*

giphy.gif

VzhC8y2.gif

smurfx

get some go again

i'm not sure about that. remember that doflamingo's ultimate goal was to destroy everything the celestials control. doflamingo's end game might have been him having kaidou attack mariejoa and starting a massive war. after severely weakening mariejoa then doflamingo probably planned on acquiring the ancient weapon there.

The sheer build up to Kaido's reveal was epic. All this time I'm thinking it's this random dude because "there's no way Oda would reveal Kaido so soon" I thought....

and well, there it is.gif

Kaido's intro was masterful, hilarious and badass.

Kaido himself looks incredibly strong, which isn't really the usual for Oda, aside from Whitebeard. Probably the most badass looking character since Whitebeard actually.

Kid,Scratchman,Hawkins : Broes lets go after Shanks!

Kaidou: *Literally falls outta sky in front of them*

Kid,Scratchman,Hawkins: 😅😅😅🏃🏃🏃

How is Luffy supposed to beat this guy? The only thing I can think of is water if he is a devil fruit user

He'll fight him with a group of other Supernova like Law, and possibly it'll even be an effort by the whole Strawhat Crew and the crew of his allies. I absolutely don't expect it to be a one on one fight with Luffy vs Kaidou. I'm actually leaning towards an all-alliance vs Kaidou effort after this chapter. I mean, according to reliable translators from Arlong Park, Kaidou was specifically stated as being the strongest in a one on one situation, so he's probably not as effective as other emperors at handling multiple strong opponents

HAH I WAS RIGHT KAIDO IS A CHINESE DRAGON!

Oh man that's so cool. Seriously his design is just...

Easily the best "big bad" villain design yet. That's fucking imposing. And it lends credence to the whole "This arc is going to be one long Kurosawa tribute" which I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE..

I wonder why Kaidou is pissed at Whitebeard. Was he the only one who had the strength to kill him?

Also I've seen several translations now that have placed Kaidou as either the strongest living pirate or the strongest living creature which makes me speculate just where in the world he would rank power wise before and after the time-skip.

Chariot

I wonder why Kaidou is pissed at Whitebeard. Was he the only one who had the strength to kill him?

Also I've seen several translations now that have placed Kaidou as either the strongest living pirate or the strongest living creature which makes me speculate just where in the world he would rank power wise before and after the time-skip.
This is what I got from it yeah. Whitebeard was known as the strongest and was the one with the best chance of killing Kaidou, known to Kaidou.

From what I've heard from a reliable translator (Aohige at APforums, he provides spoiler summaries and is a native Japanese speaker) he's upset that Whitebeard was able to die in battle when he's still alive despite his best efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom