• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Where CP0 at tho

Straw Hat Fleet, fuck yeah. As if it wasn't obvious enough from the Colosseum onward, but enough people were telling me that it was unlikely that I was convinced. And practically outta nowhere, too. At this point I figured this damn arc was just gonna end with everyone getting the hell out of dodge. One Piece is about to get fuckin' real

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So,when Luffy first fought Caesar and he was revealed to be able to resist the poison---why did he suddenly faint soon after? Was that simply foreshadowing Caesar's ability to take away oxygen, or am I missing something?

Dugna

So,when Luffy first fought Caesar and he was revealed to be able to resist the poison---why did he suddenly faint soon after? Was that simply foreshadowing Caesar's ability to take away oxygen, or am I missing something?

Caesar is Gas-Gas fruit and he just removed the oxygen from the air, so while Caesar couldn't poison Luffy because of how luffy created antibodies to basically every poison known ever because of magellan he could just remove the oxygen. After that fight though zoro had to kick him in gear and tell him now to screw around with an opponent he can easily beat.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Caesar is Gas-Gas fruit and he just removed the oxygen from the air, so while Caesar couldn't poison Luffy because of how luffy created antibodies to basically every poison known ever because of magellan he could just remove the oxygen. After that fight though zoro had to kick him in gear and tell him now to screw around with an opponent he can easily beat.

Okay, it just confused me because right as that happens we see Law suddenly faint which is then revealed to be Vergo tampering with his heart, so that made me not even consider Caesar had additional power...

Guess I rushed to post this since they explained it soon after, lol.

Jigorath

Banned
Rewatching Enies Lobby, will the CP9 ever return? Guess the way the manga is going if we do ever see them it wont be for another 10 years..

Eventually. I'm eagerly awaiting another arc where Luffy gets stuck working with his former villains again.

Straw Hat Fleet, fuck yeah. As if it wasn't obvious enough from the Colosseum onward, but enough people were telling me that it was unlikely that I was convinced. And practically outta nowhere, too. At this point I figured this damn arc was just gonna end with everyone getting the hell out of dodge. One Piece is about to get fuckin' real

How can you read One Piece for so long and think that things are unlikely just because they are to big or ambitious.

I predicted when they were in the shack that the most important thing about the end of the arc would be whose ship they sailed on and who was sailing with them. Not if there would be a new Straw Hat. And next chapter Bonney will join the fleet and take over then the manga will be renamed Bonney Piece.

Tizoc

It was already confirmed by Oda that Arlong has two dicks, so Franky wouldn't be the first. >.>

Goddamnit Oda.

Speaking of which, what was Whitebeard stricken with when he was first revealed?
JpUtYMw.jpg
Also wht happened to his nurses?

Speaking of which, what was Whitebeard stricken with when he was first revealed?

Old age and years of battles.

I believe it was in the beginning of Marineford however that Whitebeard says something to the extent of the machines just being for show and how he didn't care for them.

Maximo

Getting around having a new nakama by basically making everyone his Nakama ?

Oh man up to this part again.
frank-ball-grab-o.gif

So fucked hahaha.

Goddamnit Oda.

I didn't see his nurses at Marinford. It never said what his ailments were. But that bag does have Doflamingo's smile on it just upside down btw. He looks like he was recovering from a battle, perhaps a fight with Kaidou?

Chariot

Goddamnit Oda.

Well maybe he just recovere and it was nothing permanent. Hell, he probably fought a lot against strong enemies.Maybe he was poisoned by something.
Now we talk how Oda is sexist for 20 pages.
Well, it is a bit sexist. Usually I would say it's Whitebeard taht is sexist, btu the way this is written makes it sounds like Oda wants us to appreciate this thought train. You can be sexist and still write a good manga. And the other way around it's not wrong to talk about Oda's flaws, aight.

Majukun

his manga,his characters

I want a future where every author is free to write everything he wants more than how much i want a future with equal opportunities for characters of every gender

Majukun

Rewatching Enies Lobby, will the CP9 ever return? Guess the way the manga is going if we do ever see them it wont be for another 10 years..

one of the black market dealer looking at caesar demonstration really lookd like lucci in the manga
not in the anime,but they also missed Marco the first time he was showed giving him black hairs

Kater

Banned
It was already confirmed by Oda that Arlong has two dicks, so Franky wouldn't be the first. >.>
I don't get it, why would Arlong have two dicks? Franky I could see having two dicks, one out of flesh, the other made of metal. That guy also made it so that his nipples could shoot lasers so it wouldn't be too far off if Oda told us that he made himself a second dong.

Grexeno

I don't get it, why would Arlong have two dicks? Franky I could see having two dicks, one out of flesh, the other made of metal. That guy also made it so that his nipples could shoot lasers so it wouldn't be too far off if Oda told us that he made himself a second dong.
Sharks have two penises.

Chariot

Huh. The more you know.
shark-claspers-570x427.jpg

Apparently one penis isn’t enough for sharks. Nope, they need two of them. Each organ, or “clasper”, is actually a tight roll of cartilage that stiffens during arousal. So it’s a functioning penis, but with a bit of a twist. Once it’s inserted into a partner, it expands greatly, much like an umbrella, in order to anchor the sharks together. Oh, and did we mention it also has “spurs?” Clearly, sharks like it rough.

Despite the fact that it’s got two, sharks only seem to use one penis at a time, leaving scientists to think that maybe the other one simply serves as an extra, in case of malfunction, perhaps. Most of the guys out there have had at least one drunken night where a backup weenie would’ve come in handy, so why is that gift wasted on a damn shark?

So what now? Do they have penises or not? :p

They don't.

But claspers work in a similar way when it comes to intercourse, and yes, they do have two of them. Calling them penises is ignorant, since they're quite a bit different, but I understand why publications do it.

Also this thread just got weird again, lol. Especially weird that the poster above felt the need to include an image, lol.

Metal B

I could see, the CP9 members joining the Revolutionary Army and using there espionage skills for them. After escaping the world government, they would be the safest party to join.

Kater

Banned
Huh. The more you know.
o.o

The more you know indeed.

They don't.

But claspers work in a similar way when it comes to intercourse, and yes, they do have two of them. Calling them penises is ignorant, since they're quite a bit different, but I understand why publications do it.

Also this thread just got weird again, lol. Especially weird that the poster above felt the need to include an image, lol.
Thanks for the explanation, both of you. ^^

Kreed

That ship sailed for the last time with the events/fights in Dressrosa IMO. Time to just move on, let Nami/Robin/etc... be fan service characters and enjoy the story for what it is. Regulate the sexist talk for "Why Oda isn't Goda" discussions.

RomanceDawn

No matter what Luffy says about accepting these subordinates, the result will be the same. There have been way too many hints and clues during these last 2 years for things to end up in any other way beyond these guys being Luffy's fleet.

Fishman Island can be legitimately protected now once Big Mom is dealt with, though I don't trust any of the no named crew mates with mermaids... Though by that point Fishman Island as we know it will probably be destroyed in a power struggle between Big Mom and Kaido. Once Kaido receives the ancient weapon secret from Caribou, word will reach Big Mom and the Straw Hats will get right in the middle. I keep thinking a mass migration for the fish and mer folk wouldn't happen until after the Reverie but I could see Luffy out right destroying Fishman Island with an island splitting attack or destroying the Eve Tree letting no one have absolute control over the island where Poseidon might have a geographical advantage over everything that passes through the Red Line.

Veelk

Banned

I wouldn't say Oda is sexist for something his character does. It would be nice for him to acknowledge that whitebeard is being a fuckwad here though.

Well, it is a bit sexist. Usually I would say it's Whitebeard taht is sexist, btu the way this is written makes it sounds like Oda wants us to appreciate this thought train. You can be sexist and still write a good manga. And the other way around it's not wrong to talk about Oda's flaws, aight.
That's interesting, usually I'm all for calling Oda out on this stuff, but to me he's just discussing Whitebeard's thought processes neutrally here. He's not disapproving of it, which is something he should be done, but that's not an indicator of anything on Oda's part. For me, this all reads as whitebeard.

Bandini

Old man Whitebeard didn't allow females into his crew as fighters... not seeing how that reflects on Oda in any way. This might sound crazy, but not every character is a personal statement of his beliefs. Every person has flaws, and fictional characters should as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One Piece is evocative of like, 14th century pirate culture. Not letting women on your main fighting force out of a sense of chivalry fits the setting.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
One Piece is evocative of like, 14th century pirate culture. Not letting women on your main fighting force out of a sense of chivalry fits the setting.
This post mirrors my thoughts as well. Not being sexist, just over-protective. Very old school chivalry.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah? And what part of the 14th century pirate culture is Oda drawing cyborgs with laser beams, multi-firing muskets, Doflamingo's pink feather coat, or even Nami's low riding jeans from?

Look, I'm not trying to make a thing out of this again because I don't know what else needs to be said about it. But don't defend it. As someone who doesn't like OP that much, it's still one of the most imaginative and inventive series I've ever seen. Oda doesn't write anything with the consideration of how it should logically work unless it's convenient to the story he wants to tell. If it's inconvenient, then it simply doesn't work that way within OP and he moves on. So it's simply disingenuous to say "Well, Oda would totally empower women in the same way he does with the men in the series, but he has to adhere to outdated real life rules or the imagination police will get him, so his hands are tied!" No, he doesn't. He could just as easily invoke his idea of piracy while ignoring all the bits he doesn't want to deal with like he's done since the the first chapter where Luffy punched out a giant fish because it was a cool thing he wanted to see.

The under-representation of women in positions of power just happens to not be one the things he, for whatever reason, doesn't care to fix in his depiction. There is no real valid reason that justifies his depiction of women the way he does, because there isn't any point he's making about it. It doesn't mean he's a horrible, evil person or that OP is worthless due to it, but this is one fault (unless, of course, you think there is some reason women should be continued to be depicted as inferior to men) that OP simply has to own up to.

This post mirrors my thoughts as well. Not being sexist, just over-protective. Very old school chivalry.

That's like saying that gangs aren't violent or murderous, they just have a code of honor that dictates they kill people. Very old school ganstery.

Wait are people saying oda is sexist? How did ths start and cant we make a thread for this literally every japan made game,book,movie,etc thread turns into a crap fest of how ppl feel about author's treating women.
But with that said how is he sexist or how are women treated unfairly? Nami? What cuz her but size is big? So, so is half the rl women bust sizes still a darn good character for what shes written for(15 yr old boy's) robin? Plz tell me shes not a good character i dare u. Hancock,tashigi,big mom,viola,monet,vivi,kaya,an entire island of woman taking care of themselves?(watch somebody say something about how they are dressed..they're amazons)alvida,i could go on all very good woman not shown to be weak or helpless but of course when they can't do anything their friends whether men or a woman will help them.Bonneys a supernova,big moms a yonko they have power. Jus because a man author draws more men in power doesn't mean he treats woman inferior. Sorry for wall of text but its frustrating that everything always has to equal women somehow being misrepresented

Wait are people saying oda is sexist?

Have you been sleeping under a rock for the past five years?

Seriously, this has been discussed to death. All of your points above (all posters) have been discussed tons of times already. Lol, how many times must we go over this? This topic always ends in disagreement so why even bother. A lot of people don't even know what sexism is. One Piece is incredibly sexist, though it is sexist in both directions, both for the male and female characters. Don't think sexism is a thing only women have to deal with, as One Piece is very much sexist against men as well, both in physical appearance and in verbal actions. Personally I can't say I care too much, though, but it's really silly and non-nonsensical to deny that One Piece is sexist, although the point about creative freedom is always true.

Have you been sleeping under a rock for the past five years?

Seriously, this has been discussed to death. All of your points above (all posters) have been discussed tons of times already. Lol, how many times must we go over this? This topic always ends in disagreement so why even bother. A lot of people don't even know what sexism is. One Piece is incredibly sexist, though it is sexist in both directions, both for the male and female characters. Don't think sexism is a thing only women have to deal with, as One Piece is very much sexist against men as well, both in physical appearance and in verbal actions. Personally I can't say I care too much, though, but it's really silly and non-nonsensical to deny that One Piece is sexist, although the point about creative freedom is always true.

Meh i never noticed i guess i never paid attention. it pissed me off alittle that we had a bomb chapter and the topic is about how women are treated which has been like u said argued about to death. But lets TRY and drop it talk bout other things.

So anybody notice a couple ppl were missing from that group,like king elizabolo,dogama,the bounty hunter guy, i guess they aren't pirates really so it makes sense they wouldn't be apart of it but i wonder if they will turn up again

Honestly Oda does his research looking for historical names to be inspired by and it's not his fault that most of them are men. History is quite sexist in that way. It's to his credit that he doesn't just whitewash the females out of his comics or do stuff like only have female characters to be beaten and left as broken emotional wrecks.

In reality the majority of people who read one piece are supposed to be adults and by gender a slim majority are women. These grown women can decide themselves if the manga is harmfully sexist or if it's just irreverent and mostly well intentioned.

Honestly I think that people relate with the long term relationships the characters have built up and by now are more interested in that than boob size or number of fight scenes. Most of the fight scenes lack a lot of detail and panel count compared to how it used to be.

Honestly Oda does his research looking for historical names to be inspired by and it's not his fault that most of them are men.

Lol. At the end of the day, 99% of the characters are purely fictional, and the few characters that are based on real characters are usually based on name only. I mean yeah, Captain Kid, Blackbeard and many more were real characters, but trust me, they didn't have devil fruits, and absolutely everything else about them was different too.

In reality the majority of people who read one piece are supposed to be adults and by gender a slim majority are women. These grown women can decide themselves if the manga is harmfully sexist or if it's just irreverent and mostly well intentioned.

Come on, man. You can't possibly think this. Everything about this is just wrong. Like I mentioned earlier, I really don't think sexism in One Piece is that big of a big deal, but this is just seriously morally wrong. And I assume you mean minority, not majority.

Lol. At the end of the day, 99% of the characters are purely fictional, and the few characters that are based on real characters are usually based on name only. I mean yeah, Captain Kid, Blackbeard and many more were real characters, but trust me, they didn't have devil fruits, and absolutely everything else about them was different too.

Come on, man. You can't possibly think this. Everything about this is just wrong. Like I mentioned earlier, I really don't think sexism in One Piece is that big of a big deal, but this is just seriously morally wrong. And I assume you mean minority, not majority.
Nah, he means that the women to men ratio as appeared on one survey was like 52% women, 48% men, and most One Piece readers are in fact adults. That said, I'd consider the 52% to be a margin of error and the actual number is more like 50% since One PIece is a huge cultural phenomenon in Japan

if people didn't post b/s like this, these arguments wouldn't come up lol. One Piece is sexist, in both sides of the issue (male and female) the why's have been discussed to death, but it is what it is, and it's a great show. Nothing is perfect. Not isolating this one example btw, just the whole of the show. Filled with nonsense.

Still, guess I'm the only one who felt hype after the pirate's ask for Luffy acceptance, then kinda got deflated when I thought about it. Would have been nice if we were shown the discussions they were having, but atm, it felt kinda too convenient for all of them to put so much faith in Luffy besides Cavendish and Bartholomeo. Saw it coming, but want a little more back story on some of the others, especially the guy that has like 5k crew. Also, gotta say, still don't like Luffy's Gear 4 ;-(

"It fits luffy"
"it's perfect for his character"
" it's sooo very much something Luffy would do."

Yeah, looks stupid to me, and not stupid enough to find humorous since it's so similar to thriller bark. Really hope Gear 4 is about forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom