• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could easily see Luffy say no initially for some really silly reason like "I don't want to be your Dad. I don't even know my own dad" until someone explains it to him in a way he can actually understand

Yeah, I hope Zoro put it into words he can understand.

When Luffy fights a Yonko, he shouldn't have to kick 5000 small fry asses first. Leave that to the B-Team.

At the same time, this could REALLY change the pacing of the story of how fights are set. If Oda is going to Oda, then every big fight after this is going to have to check in with these guys every time. The Dressrosa fights took a bit long and that was with nearly half the crew absent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This chapter had fucking everything. I love the citizens of Dressrosa after this, they're all such good dudes it's not even funny.

Also, HOLY SHIT Oda playing that not so long game with the fleet. My hype levels went through the roof right there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, I hope Zoro put it into words he can understand.

When Luffy fights a Yonko, he shouldn't have to kick 5000 small fry asses first. Leave that to the B-Team.

At the same time, this could REALLY change the pacing of the story of how fights are set. If Oda is going to Oda, then every big fight after this is going to have to check in with these guys every time. The Dressrosa fights took a bit long and that was with nearly half the crew absent.

I'm still seeing no reason why Luffy would even want to accept this. His plan and goal is be the most free free person in the world, shackling him down as the admiral of his own personal fleet sounds exactly like the kind of responsibilities he really doesn't want to have.

He loses his shit if something happens to even one of crew members having a fleet of fodder seems like more trouble that's worth to him if he literally feels the compulsion to save every single one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm still seeing no reason why Luffy would even want to accept this. His plan and goal is be the most free free person in the world, shackling him down as the admiral of his own personal fleet sounds exactly like the kind of responsibilities he really doesn't want to have.

He loses his shit if something happens to even one of crew members having a fleet of fodder seems like more trouble that's worth to him if he literally feels the compulsion to save every single one.

That's why GOD USOPP is going to take charge of the fleet and command them using HIS GOOD WORD.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Luffy's obviously going to turn them down because that's what he does, but they're still going to somehow end up joining up anyway. Pretty much ever since the God Usopp stuff it's been pretty clear that this was going to be how Luffy forms his pirate fleet. Fucking awesome to see it finally "officially" happening, though.

And their ranks didn't even include the Heart Pirates, who are already part of the Alliance.

And we still have Jinbe, who has theoretically joined the main crew already, and anyone he brings with him.

And then Hancock's group.

And Ivankov and the Newkamas. And Bon Kurei and his Newkamas if they can somehow get out of Impel Down.

And with Sabo and Ivankov, not to mention whatever Robin was up to during the time skip, the Revolutionaries should be on Luffy's side as well unless Dragon plays the role of villain.

And that's not counting the people from past countries he's helped like Drum, Arabasta, Skypiea, Water 7, and now Dressrosa. Or the remnants of Roger's crew like Rayleigh and Crocus (and Shanks and Buggy).

And so on and so forth.

That Straw Hat Armada that we should get to in the manga in about 17 years is going to be fucking awesome.

smurfx

get some go again
i think usopp will officially get his thousands of followers at elbaf. imagine him having a fleet of thousands of giants. as i said before luffy won't want something like a father/son relationship since that isn't his style but i can see him saying if they want to be friends he isn't opposed. that or he drinks sake with them and becomes brothers with all of them and they all consider each other bros. i definitely think the remaining whitebeard pirates and alliance members will definitely join luffy. i bet many of them have been aimless since whitebeard died and luffy will light that fire again. zoro might get his fleet at wano possibly. i can imagine him going to dojos defeating the masters and maybe they all end up following him.

The thing is they're already friends. Luffy doesn't rush to save crew members out of obligation, he does it because he wants to since he likes them. I think you're making this alliance way more formal than Luffy would

NSESN

Pretty hype episode, we understand Fuji more, i loved when he said he would like to see Luffy's face.
And that instant new Fleet.

It's well past time to catch up with both Marco and Crocodile.

Crocodile is an interesting guy. We still don't know much about his past or his motivations but it seemed like the person he hated most was Doffy.

smurfx

get some go again
It's well past time to catch up with both Marco and Crocodile.

Crocodile is an interesting guy. We still don't know much about his past or his motivations but it seemed like the person he hated most was Doffy.
didn't really seem like croc hated doffy. if anything we found out that doffy was the one supplying the arms for the rebel army at alabasta since they had some kind of partnership.

Holy shit! The Straw Hat Pirate Fleet is HERE! This right here is the big payoff of Dressrosa and introducing so many characters.
Luffy doesn't have a say really. Even if he rejects them initially, he'll soften up to them after some pleading.

Did anyone catch the "Gomu" pun in the number of people under Luffy's flag now? lol

jbug617

Banned
I think Luffy lets them join. Not sure if he will exchange sake with them because of wanting to keep that a thing that he did with his brothers.

didn't really seem like croc hated doffy. if anything we found out that doffy was the one supplying the arms for the rebel army at alabasta since they had some kind of partnership.

Isn't the only reason to think that to assume that only Doflamingo could supply dance powder because he is an underworld broker? We do know that Doflamingo tried to recruit him and he found that so annoying that he decided to stop fighting Whitebeard.

Luffy is now a daddy with 5600 children.
emoticonLaughing.gif

What does Iva know about him...

Heh. Crocodile being a gender switch would be less of a big deal than finding out where he fits in with a lot of the major characters. He seems to be linked to everyone and is still one of the few characters who seems to be actively interested in the void century.

mrmickfran

So, are we in agreement that Issho's sword was fed a devil fruit, and it's not him that's the user? 100% of his gravity feats have used the sword, he even called out "Gravity Blade" before bustin that mountain today. One Piece wiki seems to think Issho himself is the user, but I dunnoooo.
If that ends up being the case, I would be sooo disappointed.

Controlling gravity is such an awesome power :(

Zatoth

Turning them down would be such a dick move. Doubt Luffy will do that after all they went through. I can see him offering them to be at equal term when it comes to power.

Kornflayx

It wouldn't make sense for inanimate objects to have Paramecia powers. With Zoan fruits you can say that they have their own will because their basically animals, but paramecias don't have their own will.

Chariot

It wouldn't make sense for inanimate objects to have Paramecia powers. With Zoan fruits you can say that they have their own will because their basically animals, but paramecias don't have their own will.
It's not the Zoan that gave them live, it was that they were kind-off alive in the first place that they could "eat" the devilfruits, right?

It's not the Zoan that gave them live, it was that they were kind-off alive in the first place that they could "eat" the devilfruits, right?

Yeah. Oda has made it clear that objects have "souls" in the One Piece world. We can guess that things like named swords and important ships have especially strong souls. Possibly poneglyphs have souls also which is why Roger could hear their voice.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't see why Luffy wouldn't accept. Just because they're a fleet doesn't mean they all have to travel together, and Oda hinted that the finale would be bigger than Marineford, so...

I feel like the story is really ramping up to its final stages, now. We've got the Wano/Zo arc/Kaido story, Elbaf at some point, a wrap up to the Big Mom scenario, a fight with the marines, and then Blackbeard at Raftel is my guess. Of course there's any number of things that can happen within those stories, but there's not really as much wiggle room for random adventures anymore (although Oda will still create whimsical places for them to carry out the plot threads he's set), so Luffy needs a strong army to help him.

If Jinbe shows up he better bring Vivi with him to soften the blow. :(

I don't see why Luffy wouldn't accept. Just because they're a fleet doesn't mean they all have to travel together, and Oda hinted that the finale would be bigger than Marineford, so...

I feel like the story is really ramping up to its final stages, now. We've got the Wano/Zo arc/Kaido story, Elbaf at some point, a wrap up to the Big Mom scenario, a fight with the marines, and then Blackbeard at Raftel is my guess. There's not really much wiggle room for random adventures anymore (although Oda will still create whimsical places for them to carry out the plot threads he's set), so Luffy needs a strong army to help him.

That's what I'm thinking. Ever since Punk Hazard it feels like we've been seeing the setup for the end game. Sadly I think the goofy little adventures are coming to an end and it's going to be big sweeping arcs like Dressrosa now. Which is a shame because the beginning through Sabaody is still my all time favorite part of OP. Even though I love what we have now, it just isn't the same without all the old crew interacting with each other. Oda still hasn't recaptured the magic since they all came back.

If that ends up being the case, I would be sooo disappointed.

Controlling gravity is such an awesome power :(
I mean, Law also uses a sword with the Ope so it's possible he's just redirecting it.

But it's also true that we don't know the exact details about the Gravity fruit...

I wanna say it's Fuji.

I feel like the story is really ramping up to its final stages, now. We've got the Wano/Zo arc/Kaido story, Elbaf at some point, a wrap up to the Big Mom scenario, a fight with the marines, and then Blackbeard at Raftel is my guess. Of course there's any number of things that can happen within those stories, but there's not really as much wiggle room for random adventures anymore (although Oda will still create whimsical places for them to carry out the plot threads he's set), so Luffy needs a strong army to help him.

We're really getting close to the end..man can u guys jus imagine that final arc after al these years? I kno im speaking to fast for now but man it only gets more hectic from here, im must say oda is delivering with the new world so far

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If Jinbe shows up he better bring Vivi with him to soften the blow. :(

That's what I'm thinking. Ever since Punk Hazard it feels like we've been seeing the setup for the end game. Sadly I think the goofy little adventures are coming to an end and it's going to be big sweeping arcs like Dressrosa now. Which is a shame because the beginning through Sabaody is still my all time favorite part of OP. Even though I love what we have now, it just isn't the same without all the old crew interacting with each other. Oda still hasn't recaptured the magic since they all came back.
I totally agree. There was a much more grounded feel to that part of the series, and the adventures felt calmer and more focused, with a focus on the crew and their interactions with each other and the land they were in. Post-timeskip it's the reverse, where the world takes center stage and the crew gets swept up in an epic rather than a compartmentalized adventure or conflict. The story has been leading up to bigger things from the beginning, but back when all of the story was still being set up I never imagined it would get to THIS scale. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with larger scale stories, but it seems like the smaller things suffer as a result, and those were really OP's strength back in the day. Now there's this overwhelming sense of urgency. But at the same time, don't forget that the Straw Hats have their individual dreams to be realized (All Blue, Zoro vs. Mihawk, etc.) and Dressrosa gave Usopp a huge amount of the spotlight already, so I think a stronger focus on the crew will come back at some point, at least to an extent.

Disclaimer: New World is amazing and still better than most other manga out there, it just has a different feel to it that doesn't quite recapture the magic of earlier OP. It has its own magic to it, but old man yells at cloud, etc.

Nah, I think there are more arcs left than that. There are a whole bunch of characters and plots hinted at that have yet to come, and new things might show up just like Wano did. Of course we won't know the final amount of arcs for at least another decade and by then no one will remember this discussion and no one will be proven right or wrong, lol.

Tizoc

^Oh I see, odd I thought she stopped voicing Chopper entirely heh.

Was Wanted! ever released in English? Just learned that it features the origins of Ryuma.

Mortemis

Banned
Awesome chapter. As much as I'm against shoving so many characters into an arc, if they're gonna be apart of Luffy's army then I'm okay with that. The story is gonna go crazy with tons of characters involved in the upcoming arcs, but I hope Oda still saves time to grow the main straw hats.

Also I don't think Luffy's gonna say no honestly, maybe he'll say no to the whole parent-child thing but say they're already friends, but I doubt he'll send them packing.

So, are we in agreement that Issho's sword was fed a devil fruit, and it's not him that's the user? 100% of his gravity feats have used the sword, he even called out "Gravity Blade" before bustin that mountain today. One Piece wiki seems to think Issho himself is the user, but I dunnoooo.

man, anyone think Luffy or Zoro will ever get a devil fruit weapon? Maybe Zoro, I doubt luffy would but that would be cool

Zeppu

I'm really curious to see Barto's ship. He told luffy he'd "wet himself" when he sees it. I have a sneaky feeling it's either an homage to the Merry or (more probably) some sort of Strawhat themed ship.

Bart is awesome.

Welfare

I'm really curious to see Barto's ship. He told luffy he'd "wet himself" when he sees it. I have a sneaky feeling it's either an homage to the Merry or (more probably) some sort of Strawhat themed ship.

Bart is awesome.

Big meat ship.

Tizoc

Just read the latest chapter...
Part of me says that Luffy will say 'No', but if he does agree, I wonder if he'll have them do odd jobs for him and not tag along with him so closely...

Chariot

Just read the latest chapter...
Part of me says that Luffy will say 'No', but if he does agree, I wonder if he'll have them do odd jobs for him and not tag along with him so closely...
Obviously 5600 people are really bad to supply. Not every isle is inhabitated and they tend to be far away from each other. Additionally they could decide to spread their allegiance to the strawhats to their homes or home terriroties or generally trying to conquer a bigger field of influence for Luffy. Prepare harbours and bases for him in the case he has to retreat somewhere. You can't rule over an area just by word. You need guards for uphold your rule. That keep your flag raised and your people defended. The Strawhats alone couldn't even rule one island without stopping travelling. With forces all over the grandline they have squads ready to intercept, defeat or at least stall enemy forces. As I said the islands are far apart and it could take weeks or months to arrive at some place to support.

RomanceDawn

Kaku 5? What does that mean? We'll we be seeing CP9 soon? On the first page we see the citizens smiling.

I think I have a problem, I get so emotional over everything now, I wasn't always like this. Fuji wishing he could see Luffy's face and other features almost made me tear up. The citizens knowing Fuji is blind and using it to their advantage trying to project Luffy like that also warmed my heart. Oh I love this series!

The moment Chinjao got his head popped back into place I knew his crew would be future allies. Even before Chinjao outright gave Luffy the authority over his fleet I just knew it was going to happen. The moment everyone was turned into toys I just knew these guys, like everyone else the Straw Hats liberate, would be on Luffy's side until the end of days. Even when Doffy started his 5 star game I knew ultimately these people would still end up as Straw Hat allies in some massive fleet for the final story.

I knew all this and still hated that half the crew was gone for so long. I hated that Sanji didn't get a rematch against Vergo or Trebol. I hated that Nami wasn't going to be able to pull of some amazing new weather stunt causing a huge shake up like Usopp or Zoro. I couldn't wait to see Brook make everyone get high again! I knew what Oda was setting up and while it was enjoyable it just wasn't as enjoyable as a Straw Hat taking on those acts. The payoff however came so much sooner than I expected! Hakuba one shoting Delinger and Hadrudin blasting Mach Vice up into the bird cage just carries so much more weight now! The pay off was worth the Swirly hats absence for me. They will be back soon enough and chances are Oda will give them a few extra great moments to compensate. Somewhat like how Brook got a fairly fleshed out battle compared to other Straw Hats on Fishman Island since he never got a chance to really shine before the separation.

Look at Law just standing there. Probably like, "if it wasn't for me, the Straw Hats wouldn't even be here! Grumble grumble." Seriously though you know he's thinking that their 30% success rate against Kaido just increase to like 50%.

Loved this chapter! YABADABADOO!

It makes me wonder who else is going to join.

If everything is going to go according to how it's being telegraphed, the one who finds One Piece is going to challenge the world to a fight. At that point, I imagine individual statuses aren't going to matter anymore, and there are going to be certain individuals/groups that will defect to Luffy's side (provided he IS the one who gets to One Piece first. Oda could throw a swerve at the 11th hour).

But yeah, I could see Hancock giving up her status and the Kuja joining. I could see Law's group joining. Depending on the circumstances, I could see Coby defecting because it's the right thing to do.

Of course, Luffy could just be like, "Nah." and leave, and this idea won't be addressed again until later.

Two weeks is entirely too far away.

Big One

Banned
I just realized Luffy is going to really have to change his act up to sustain the fleet. What if he gets his own office for example? He's gonna need a secretary to carry out some of his business, so maybe that'll be the next Strawhat crew member.

He needs to actively be able to provide for his children branches and support them. Luffy going to become a businessman too if he wants to truly do this.

As of 799, Dressrosa is now 100 chapters long.

I just realized Luffy is going to really have to change his act up to sustain the fleet. What if he gets his own office for example? He's gonna need a secretary to carry out some of his business, so maybe that'll be the next Strawhat crew member.

He needs to actively be able to provide for his children branches and support them. Luffy going to become a businessman too if he wants to truly do this.

Hell, nah. Nami or Usopp will be the ones to organize and sustain the fleet. Luffy will just be the figurehead who leads the charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom