• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fleets are just going to do their own thing until Luffy needs them. I mean Whitebeard had the same thing and they didn't linger for too long on any of them and showed just enough of them doing their own fighting, IMO.

I think it'll work out fine. I just want the core SH crew (GIMME MUH JIMBEI) together.

Luffy is the spiritual leader, but Usopp is the actual one. Bringing to fruition his lie about being "captain" Usopp.

This has been a question I'v had for a while but I guess I'll ask it now.

When do Luffy and Sabo (he's gotta go with him if they go) go to Ace's grave together? There has to be a mini-arc about it right? I mean you have one shot at the New World, and it makes sense for him to go at some point.

When do you guys think he goes?

Welfare

This has been a question I'v had for a while but I guess I'll ask it now.

When do Luffy and Sabo (he's gotta go with him if they go) go to Ace's grave together? There has to be a mini-arc about it right? I mean you have one shot at the New World, and it makes sense for him to go at some point.

When do you guys think he goes?

After Luffy becomes Pirate King.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
As of 799, Dressrosa is now 100 chapters long.

Damn.

Remember when Luffy met Colby, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Smoker and took down Alvida, Buggy, Kuro, Krieg, and Arlong within that same amount of time?

Not gonna lie, I miss that pacing. And we got plenty of decent world-building too.

Damn.

Remember when Luffy met Colby, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Smoker and took down Alvida, Buggy, Kuro, Krieg, and Arlong within that same amount of time?

Not gonna lie, I miss that pacing. And we got plenty of decent world-building too.

Meh they were all small fry(aside from smoker) so of course it went by quick and as far as world building..i dont really think so on the grand scheme of things. Within dressrosas time we've learned of islands(kanokuni,dressrosa,greenbit,the navys draft,aokji working with blackbeard and also blackbeard has fleets himself,cpo exists,learned of another D,met different armies,tribes,crews,etc, id say dressrosa had a pretty good world building element to it

One Piece is just going get more bloated. If Oda's health wasn't an issue, I'd say we are only 60 percent done in terms of story. Elbaf, Wano and Raftel are places they will at least have to go too....

Damn.

It's hard to compare it to East Blue because the scope of the world was much, much smaller and it was a simpler period for building the main crew.

Now, the world is much bigger and vaster than before and there are more side characters that all have their part to play toward the end game of the story.
Most of the new characters introduced in Dressrosa will be key players for the rest of the manga as 799 establishes handily.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This chapter is the reason Dressrosa went 100 chapters. It's ALL to set up the end game.

Yea. We're currently in Act 2, the section of the story that is setting up for the endgame. Oda's moving around background pieces to make sure he can get to the ending, the main pieces are already in place and have been since the end of Thriller Bark--with the exception of Jinbei.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just realized that if Usopp becomes the commander-in-chief of the Fleet, he'll be 2400 people short of his 8,000 followers.

Z2VVeHV.gif

(I just needed an excuse to post this, I saw it in the manga thread and loved it so much)

Lunar15

What if Luffy declines so they decide to become Usopp Pirates instead? Haha, won't happen, but it's almost something I could see Oda doing.

Grexeno

I highly doubt that, no matter how events play out from here, we're going to suddenly have all of these characters constantly around.

Qurupeke

Dressrosa is 100+ chapters long but it has so much content. Sabo, Kaido, Law's story and D in the name, a new admiral, gear 4, many new characters that become important allies, Belllamy, Jesus, the Tontattas, the toys, Rebecca's story and the rest of the royal family etc... I don't think any other story in the series so far has made something like that. Baroque Works saga or W7/Enies Lobby were also pretty big but they were quite specific on what they did. This time, we got a story as usual but we also got things stirring for a world scale event like Marineford.

I could do without some of the elements above, like the Tontattas or Violet, but in the end the arc delivered way more than I thought so I'm fine with that. Also, considering how many chapters Doflamingo took, I wonder how huge will Wano Country and Kaido be.

Tizoc

One Piece is just going get more bloated. If Oda's health wasn't an issue, I'd say we are only 60 percent done in terms of story. Elbaf, Wano and Raftel are places they will at least have to go too....

Don't forget All Blue, Sniper Island and that one Island Franky wants to go to for that legendary wood.

What if Luffy declines so they decide to become Usopp Pirates instead? Haha, won't happen, but it's almost something I could see Oda doing.

I could totally see this happening. But to everyone else it will obviously seem like Luffy is in charge since he's the Captain of the Strawhats.

Just imagining Usopp FINALLY yelling, "I have 8000 followers," and his opponent going "yeah, right", then a cutaway shot of the Law-Luffy Alliance is giving me a boner.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I imagine that Oda will do some shorter arcs for a bit since Dressrosa was so massive.

Lunar15

I highly doubt that, no matter how events play out from here, we're going to suddenly have all of these characters constantly around.

No, probably and hopefully not. I think they'll be in the background of a fight against Kaido, but I think they serve other purposes. They can actually fight things for Luffy as he goes out and has more personal adventures. It's just kind of a necessity in a world where you're marking territory. Luffy can't rush back to Fishman Island if it's under attack, even though it's his territory now. The Alliance can, however.

Rereading the chapter, I wonder, is Fujitora reading the minds of those Dressrosa citizens? Presumably by using haki? Or is this just one of those manga things where they're whispering extremely loud. Also, one guy says that all the adults knew about Rebecca and Kyros for 16 years but pretended to be oblivious, however they couldn't have known since Kyros was a toy.

On another note, while it's awesome, it kind of seems a little unlikely to me that all these people would like to become Straw Hats subordinates just like that. Then again I suppose they're placing their bets on him and want someone powerful as support in the uncertain future.

Chariot

Rereading the chapter, I wonder, is Fujitora reading the minds of those Dressrosa citizens? Presumably by using haki? Or is this just one of those manga things where they're whispering extremely loud.
He listens to a conversation, two people in the crowd are obviously talking. Probably in normal voice, you wouldn't expect for someone to pick the particular talk up easily. I think he is just hearing very well, as people with closed eyes do in manga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rereading the chapter, I wonder, is Fujitora reading the minds of those Dressrosa citizens? Presumably by using haki? Or is this just one of those manga things where they're whispering extremely loud. Also, one guy says that all the adults knew about Rebecca and Kyros for 16 years but pretended to be oblivious, however they couldn't have known since Kyros was a toy.

They forgot since he was a toy, but they knew he went off got married to the princess and had a daughter. After that it's just 2+2=4.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I didn't expect a Straw Hat Pirate alliance megacrew until near the tail-end of the storyline, and knowing Luffy's unpredictable nature, that could still happen.

But thanks for your condescending response.
He still has the Kuja pirates, pretty much the entire race of fishmen, the alabasta armed forces, the entire WB alliance (his last order was to help straw hat), the drum kingdom, half a dozen giants, and the revolutionary army itself, among other forces, which have already mostly committed themselves as his allies.

The "Go(5)-Mu(6)" alliance of 5600 is just the start. Oda himself said it was a small taste of what was to come.

He listens to a conversation, two people in the crowd are obviously talking. Probably in normal voice, you wouldn't expect for someone to pick the particular talk up easily. I think he is just hearing very well, as people with closed eyes do in manga.

Lol, "two people are obviously talking". Yeah, they're running at full speed and having a really long dialog, and yet Fujitora hears everything, even though there are tons of people running and presumably shouting. The dialog "bubbles" also have that shape that they do when someone is thinking or maybe whispering.

Issho is blind, and in fiction, blind people have very acute hearing.

Yeh.

Marvel should sue.

mrmickfran

I mean, Law also uses a sword with the Ope so it's possible he's just redirecting it.

But it's also true that we don't know the exact details about the Gravity fruit...

I wanna say it's Fuji.
But Law opens up the room on his own. His DF is enhanced by the sword. It is true that we haven't seen Fuji control gravity without the sword.

Yeah but what if Zoro ends up with that blade later in the story?
:0
Shocked-Fan-After-Undertaker-Loss-to-Brock-Lesnar.gif

Chariot

He still has the Kuja pirates, pretty much the entire race of fishmen, the alabasta armed forces, the entire WB alliance (his last order was to help straw hat), the drum kingdom, half a dozen giants, and the revolutionary army itself, among other forces, which have already mostly committed themselves as his allies.

The "Go(5)-Mu(6)" alliance of 5600 is just the start. Oda himself said it was a small taste of what was to come.
I wouldn't count the rebels. I think they will play their own game, they have little interested in the pirate king game. Also I don't think that Drum is a big help. A case could be made for Alabasta and Fishmen Island, but those would be quickly under siege and hard pressed to defend against the Marines and WG. Could of course divert forces, but Luffy wouldn't bring civilian lives in danger for tactical advantage. He is neither that smart nor tgat ruthless for that. No, he needs real pirates, free men and women for his push in the new world.
Lol, "two people are obviously talking". Yeah, they're running at full speed and having a really long dialog, and yet Fujitora hears everything, even though there are tons of people running and presumably shouting. The dialog "bubbles" also have that shape that they do when someone is thinking or maybe whispering.
What I meant is: it's ibviously a dialog. Two people talkjng and reacting to each other.

Yeah, I addressed that in a later post when I wasn't responding to that guy. At first I thought that the Revolutionaries were a bit of a wildcard. I know Sabo and Dragon are there and directly connected to Luffy, but I don't see them as joining the Straw Hat Alliance so much as I see them fighting AGAINST the World Government. I think that those two paths will probably just intersect. I do agree that the Kuja are a lock though, as are the Whitebeard Pirates and their allied crews.

At this point I'm just kinda blindly speculating though. I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm not even convinced that Luffy will be the one to find One Piece. Or if he does, maybe it'll be at the same time someone else (Blackbeard) does. There's so many variables.

All signs point to the big battle at the end (?) of the series being ridiculous, though. Way more insane than the War of the Best. I don't think a fight like that can even happen at one location. I'd imagine it'd be spread out all over the New World.

Two weeks is too long to wait.

I could totally see this happening. But to everyone else it will obviously seem like Luffy is in charge since he's the Captain of the Strawhats.

Just imagining Usopp FINALLY yelling, "I have 8000 followers," and his opponent going "yeah, right", then a cutaway shot of the Law-Luffy Alliance is giving me a boner.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Raonak

Banned
Oh my fucking god. I got so fucking hyped reading this chapter.

We knew luffy would get a fleet for the final war, but i didn't expect it to happen this soon. Ussop's 8000 men is comming true. It's crazy. God Oda at it again. This is one of the defining moments of OP, and a turning point of the series.

I tough sabo would be the highlight of dressrosa.... then God Ussop happened, then Gear 4th happened. THEN THIS HAPPENS! Dressrosa was long winded, sure, but we finally see why. It also cements dressrosa as best arc imo. I'm really excited to re-watch it knowing that these side characters will become psudeo-strawhats.

Now the hard part of not spoiling this for my anime only fiends.

EDIT: Forgot about the other stuff that happened in this chapter.

Fijutora's changing opinion on luffy was great, when he said he wanted to see what luffy looked like.
And the citizens all smiling. So was fucking happy about that! great twist!
Got massive feels from those moments.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Just re-read the chapter with better clarity. My god, this chapter has me so hyped!

Next 2 weeks need to go by quickly!!

Maximo

Rewatching Enies Lobby, will the CP9 ever return? Guess the way the manga is going if we do ever see them it wont be for another 10 years..

Rewatching Enies Lobby, will the CP9 ever return? Guess the way the manga is going if we do ever see them it wont be for another 10 years..

They aren't CP9 anymore, but yeah, I'd imagine we'll see them again somewhere in the New World. At least I hope so. Rokushiki is one of the coolest fictional martial arts styles ever, and I really liked their dynamic. I've heard speculation that Lucci is one of the underworld brokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom