• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Nah dude, we have to be done now. What else is there to finish up?

I'm sure Mingo is going to be relevant again when the whole WG truther arc comes around.
He probably means the "split up" between Luffy's Fleet, who they stick with (or borrow a ship from) and then setting sail. If we're lucky it'll be a split chapter; fully closing dressrosa and then the Curly P's or maybe even Jinbe.

RomanceDawn

Any 801 predictions?

Stephen Paul tweeted that this is going to be the big one. He never says things like that so I am hyped.

As far as world building I always found One Piece to be extremely rich in its content and very consistent in how it evolves. Now granted I too am the type who thinks, aw Fuji could have thrown away some priceless stuff or what if an animal was hiding in some of that rubble? That kind of thing is best not to think about for me personally, lol. And then I do wonder what news papers have to say about characters and places as well. Do they go into detail over an admirals abilities or the strange geography on certain islands? I imagine they do occasionally and people choose to believe what they want. For example, Sanji read the encyclopedia on Devil Fruits when he was a kid, he didn't believe what he was reading and barely payed attention to the curse aspect of them. So while he had hope that the Clear Clear fruit was actually real he barely believed in them when he met Luffy and the aspect of drowning didn't even dawn on him when Luffy started to drown at Baratie.

As far as life on grand line being much more livable than what we might have thought in the beginning, It reminds me of friends who found out I grew up in South Central Los Angeles. The way they spoke, I lived through world war 1! From what they heard in the news they assumed I was dodging bullets, running away from gang members and getting beat by the police every day! Now each of these things happened to me, but they were super rare occurrences and life was 99% peaceful for me and my family.

To me the One Piece world is so alive. If you look at every flash back that happened in the North Blue with Cricket, Doflamingo, etc, you can even see the style of clothing is different from other regions of the world! I mean it's really subtle but it's there for anyone who looks deeper into it. So many things happen off panel or far in the back ground away from the main story but it still comtributes to the over all narrative and I love it.

I feel like One Piece can be as silly or realistic as it wants and for what ever reason I give it a pass. I think that this aspect of One Piece is one of its more endearing qualities. It can be super serious and logical or it can be completely off the wall and silly at the same time and it's completely ok. The thought of young Franky removing his organs and replacing them with some old ship parts is just so unbelievable but hey, he runs on cola so it's all good!

I just jumped in and I really don't know what the discussion is about. Sorry in advance.

Big Mom's tea party. Probably the sweets from fishman island were as important to Linlin as the smiles were to Kaidou. If not more important.

She already said she going to give a pass to FI and focus her anger on luffy .
And time line wise the tea party should be done if i remember right.
But maybe something did come from it .

He probably means the "split up" between Luffy's Fleet, who they stick with (or borrow a ship from) and then setting sail. If we're lucky it'll be a split chapter; fully closing dressrosa and then the Curly P's or maybe even Jinbe.
True. I remember Leo saying he was going back to Dressrossa last chapter? Hoping for Jinbe though, however unlikely.
Stephen Paul tweeted that this is going to be the big one. He never says things like that so I am hyped.
YES.

RomanceDawn

Who's that? And why is he supposed to know what happens next?

Yup he is the official VIZ translator and his translations are super famous in the one piece community. He used to just translate for the fun of It and his translations were so accurate they were always used as a way to settle disputes. And he is usually ahead 2 chapters as to keep pace day and date with the Japanese release. Very nice guy as well.

smurfx

get some go again
thank god for stephen's translations back in the day. these days it's aohige who i trust when something needs to be clarified.

Veelk

Banned

As far as world building I always found One Piece to be extremely rich in its content and very consistent in how it evolves. Now granted I too am the type who thinks, aw Fuji could have thrown away some priceless stuff or what if an animal was hiding in some of that rubble? That kind of thing is best not to think about for me personally, lol. And then I do wonder what news papers have to say about characters and places as well. Do they go into detail over an admirals abilities or the strange geography on certain islands? I imagine they do occasionally and people choose to believe what they want. For example, Sanji read the encyclopedia on Devil Fruits when he was a kid, he didn't believe what he was reading and barely payed attention to the curse aspect of them. So while he had hope that the Clear Clear fruit was actually real he barely believed in them when he met Luffy and the aspect of drowning didn't even dawn on him when Luffy started to drown at Baratie.

As far as life on grand line being much more livable than what we might have thought in the beginning, It reminds me of friends who found out I grew up in South Central Los Angeles. The way they spoke, I lived through world war 1! From what they heard in the news they assumed I was dodging bullets, running away from gang members and getting beat by the police every day! Now each of these things happened to me, but they were super rare occurrences and life was 99% peaceful for me and my family.

To me the One Piece world is so alive. If you look at every flash back that happened in the North Blue with Cricket, Doflamingo, etc, you can even see the style of clothing is different from other regions of the world! I mean it's really subtle but it's there for anyone who looks deeper into it. So many things happen off panel or far in the back ground away from the main story but it still comtributes to the over all narrative and I love it.

I feel like One Piece can be as silly or realistic as it wants and for what ever reason I give it a pass. I think that this aspect of One Piece is one of its more endearing qualities. It can be super serious and logical or it can be completely off the wall and silly at the same time and it's completely ok. The thought of young Franky removing his organs and replacing them with some old ship parts is just so unbelievable but hey, he runs on cola so it's all good!

I just jumped in and I really don't know what the discussion is about. Sorry in advance.

Welp.

I've already made it well known I don't share in any of that appreciation, but I can genuinely appreciate whats written here. As much as I have to slag OP (and other series) off for any number of things, I can never condemn the joy others find in any story, regardless of my personal feelings. I like seeing posts like these, and there is no comeback that I've ever seen to pure unconditional love for a thing.

thank god for stephen's translations back in the day. these days it's aohige who i trust when something needs to be clarified.

If not for aohige they would so much misinformation about OP in english community .
He is a life saver but even back in the day he use to help out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I feel like this was really noticeable at the start of Sabaody and Fishman Island. These were just very unique places and cultures, the second Oda started drawing the places there were a million unique details that told the story of their lives. The bubble-based economy at Sabaody, the neat dichotomy between the happy amusement park and the slave trade, a very divided place both visually and thematically. The water paths through the sky on Fishman Island, how their transit relies on free-floating water-filled bubbles, the vast array of different fishman races.

Really the same stuff happened at the start of Water 7 and Dressrosa, just some low-impact hijinx through establishing shots and culture development for a chapter or two. It's never just "another town," they're all extremely unique in meaningful ways.

Nightbird

He's the official Viz translator

Yup he is the official VIZ translator and his translations are super famous in the one piece community. He used to just translate for the fun of It and his translations were so accurate they were always used as a way to settle disputes. And he is usually ahead 2 chapters as to keep pace day and date with the Japanese release. Very nice guy as well.

Oh Shit, forgive me for being skeptical then :$

Kater

Banned
tumblr_nv4imvMweo1r20q0do6_540.png

Has the time come yet? Excited for the new chapter. :3

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It always bothered me how early One Piece made the world out to be a relatively closed off place where each Island sort of existed on its own with little interaction besides the occasional Pirates and Navy, but then Oda sort of changed that when he introduced a worldwide newspaper and such.

Like early one it was believable that most normal citizens were surprised by encountering people with Devil Fruits and such, but then by now it's sort of weird since you think stuff like that would be public knowledge through the newspaper and everything. But I guess that's typical in a lot of fantasy stories for the author to sort of introduce more and more crazy stuff and it eventually become commonplace when before it was treated as rare and unusual.

Dragon Ball perhaps is one of the few that does the opposite since all the crazy stuff in Dragon Ball is sort of forgotten about by the general populace by Z.
That's because the manGA starts off in the boonies (East Blue), then goes straight to the heart of the world (the grand line).

As for dbz, toriyama forgot and/or needed to make the general populace dumb to accentuate Mr Satan

Lunar15

I wonder how seriously the Celestial Dragons take the whole "D" thing anyway? From how Rosinante said it, it seems like a children's tale. I mean, the marines themselves have hired at least two D's.

IHaveIce

Banned
Also I wonder if Noland will play another big role.. he was very strong, a botanist ( Heracles anybody?) and seems like he discovered a lot of stuff

I wonder how seriously the Celestial Dragons take the whole "D" thing anyway? From how Rosinante said it, it seems like a children's tale. I mean, the marines themselves have hired at least two D's.
Perhaps trying to sweep it under the rug as a children's tale, rather than a real threat.

One of the Gorosei say "the name has become rather too exposed" meaning they know some real shit.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Maybe part of the the Void Century flashback shows how the Celestial Dragons and WG slaughtered as many of the D as they could. But offered a chance for surrender to work under them. Though a number of them slipped through their fingers.

I'm just guessing. The WG has shown they're willing to commit genocide at the drop of a hat, or target a specific group of people (pregnant women being one of the worst cases)

Chariot

It would be funny if the "D" had not meaning at all in it's origin and was but a arbitrary reason to hunt down some people until it spiralled out of control and people gave it meaning by supporting those with the "D" so they would rise to power. Also it's pretty difficult to hunt people just with their name. Like, whose idea was it even to tell Luffy that there is a "D" between Money and Luffy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom