• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Finally got around to reading the chapter.

Oooh nice, we finally got the identity of the Seventh Warlord. He's going to be an interesting character. Also, "Weeble" sounds like a mistranslation. It's probably meant to be Weevil.
So the island called "Elephant" is literally an Elephant. Heh.
It's surprising how far Bartolomeo and his crew got considering they have no navigator and they all get seasick easily.

Either way, time for the Zou Arc!

zgs1YOW.png

lol robin

But yeah I think it's clear Weeble's mom is actually Lola's mom.

Hm, interesting.

I want to know who Bart's grammy is. It's funny how they're a sleazy back-alley gang, but they still rely on help from Grammy. XD

Oda will prob draw her in an SBS

They're the legs. Oda purposely didn't draw the top to make it harder to figure out what it is, and because of how thick the fog is. Don't know how it got there though, lol. Also wouldn't work with the anime version since I think they showed the eyes on the middle pillar thing.

Pretty sure those were confirmed to be the shadows of the people of Skypiea.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Which existing characters do we think are minkmen? Some possible ones are Magellan, Bepo, Mohji and Merry.

I hope Oda doesn't go to lengths to explain every silly design as being part of some special race.

Mohji and Merry should just be dudes with stupid haircuts.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's fun to read back and see all the hints.

Looking back at chapter 795 and seeing the Sunny parked right outside one of Zou's legs.

The eruption rain looking like it's actually zou shooting water up from it's trunk (rogersbase pointed this out).

So goood!

Which existing characters do we think are minkmen? Some possible ones are Magellan, Bepo, Mohji and Merry.

I think Pekoms is the biggest indicator, because he's a lion creature yet we know his devil fruit is related to turtles meaning he's something else.

Bepo could have very well been in hybrid form the whole time like Dalmation.

Since Law says Minks hate humans, I think that rules Mohji out.

Magellan is a possibility.

Mojo and Merry are just dudes with goofy hair, aren't they?

Bepo and Pekoms seem the most obvious.

I think Mohji has unusual hair that grows all over but he cuts it regularly and has different styles for it. It's about as good a thing to consider as linking all the women who have the same lipstick to Lola.

Magellan is an interesting one because he looks similar to Kaidou.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think Pekoms is the biggest indicator, because he's a lion creature yet we know his devil fruit is related to turtles meaning he's something else.

Bepo could have very well been in hybrid form the whole time like Dalmation.

Since Law says Minks hate humans, I think that rules Mohji out.

Magellan is a possibility.

I am pretty sure the minks are just... minks.

b5RUt8F.jpg
3arXvbe.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's fun to read back and see all the hints.

Looking back at chapter 795 and seeing the Sunny parked right outside one of Zou's legs.

The eruption rain looking like it's actually zou shooting water up from it's trunk (rogersbase pointed this out).

So goood!
Nice finds!

lySg5bI.jpg

ACfCJ3Q.jpg

RomanceDawn

Magellan is a normal human. His horns and wings are props, one of which that can be used for battle. Decoration to give him the looks of a devil, a master of hell.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I seriously doubt anyone we've already met is a minkman. Chopper-girl is likely the only one we've seen.

Also, wouldn't parking the Sunny near its leg be... really ineffective? What happens when Zou moves? What if it crushes it?

It's possible that there are just a lot of people with horns and fur in the one piece world and minks are a very specific sort of race. But wouldn't that mean that Kaidou and the characters we saw in the curly brow scene, other than the girl, were all invaders? Probably the most important question is why the wano guys wanted to go to zou and why law wanted to go there.

I'm curious what a Snakeneck is. That's the one race on the Sabaody slave ledger yet to be brought up. I always thought thats what Moria was but I'm not sure.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

67iLAUp.png
B8J8cSS.jpg

Weeble also shares Lola's braids as well, as well as being part of his Jolly Roger:

xj1Yeqe.png

Also another funny thing to note is that Lola's zombie form had her tusks in the same shape as Whitebeard's moustache:

K04ate9.png

I'm not so sure, Lola's mother is supposed to be a big known pirate in the new world

Wait, I'm confused.

The mountain is meant to be its trunk? It's obviously true, but did the crew not know that they were on an Elephant?

It most likely is the trunk. Elephants like to bathe by spraying water on their bodies from their trunks.
I have a feeling they know that they're on a giant elephant, but the dialogue in that scene is intentionally meant to keep the location ambiguous.

What is Sunny moored to? The Leg?

Yep.

Tizoc

You guys
Didn't Usopp once say he fought against a monster whose poop created islands? Was that mosnter a giant fish or did he say it was an elephant?

It most likely is the trunk. Elephants like to bathe by spraying water on their bodies from their trunks.
I have a feeling they know that they're on a giant elephant, but the dialogue in that scene is intentionally meant to keep the location ambiguous.

Yep.
Thanks. So I guess the ship gets pulled along? Does the elephant shuffle instead of raise its leg up?

Also, I wonder how they even get up to its back.
You guys
Didn't Usopp once say he fought against a monster whose poop created islands? Was that mosnter a giant fish or did he say it was an elephant?
It was the goldfish at Little Garden.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But wouldn't that mean that Kaidou and the characters we saw in the curly brow scene, other than the girl, were all invaders?

Well.. yeah, obviously. They were all Kaido's people. Sheepshead had Kaidou's emblem on his belt, and everyone else there was his subordinate. They all had the trademark horns that identify themselves as part of Kaido's organization. Zou's a moving isolated target/culture, I highly doubt there's some permanent Kaidou base there. Kaido's base is probably in Wano.

We clearly don't know the details, but they're in pursuit of Momonosuke, probably followed Sanji and co. there. They didn't realize it was him in dragon form. They're likely after him, on Kaidou's orders, for the same reason Doflamingo was.

...whatever that reason was.

67iLAUp.png
B8J8cSS.jpg

Weeble also shares Lola's braids as well, as well as being part of his Jolly Roger:

xj1Yeqe.png

Also another funny thing to note is that Lola's zombie form had her tusks in the same shape as Whitebeard's moustache:

K04ate9.png

big one you're on fire lately with these theories

this one is very believable to me

even though Lola said her mom was a known pirate, it's possible that Weeble's 'mom' is the actual captain and she manipulated Weeble into thinking he's the captain

do Shichibukai have to be pirate captains though?

Tizoc

big one you're on fire lately with these theories

this one is very believable to me

even though Lola said her mom was a known pirate, it's possible that Weeble's 'mom' is the actual captain and she manipulated Weeble into thinking he's the captain

do Shichibukai have to be pirate captains though?

Was Hawkeye ever a pirate captain?

Dat foreshadowing tho

i don't get it

Was Hawkeye ever a pirate captain?

i guess we don't really know

I guess a solo pirate would work as a shichibukai too though, they might as well be a captain

I honestly don't think he will be much of a threat to luffy, or at least I hope he isn't...He just beat DF who is an absolutel beast. This guy looks like a big step down from that. Luffy shouldn't have much time for people like this anymore to be honest...I hope this isn't some kind of misstep by Oda. We have already got enough big fish for the SH to wade through...Can't we get over the shichibukai (minus Mihawk and Kuma obvioulsy...)

His power is described as overwhelming by a marine admiral, so he's bound to be pretty friggin strong

Veelk

Banned
i don't get it

The official name of the first half of the Grand Line is called "Paradise". As far as I know, we only found that out once it was revealed the second half of the Grand Line is called "New World". So while a new reader would see Zeff calling the Grand Line Paradise as just something poetic about the romanticism of Pirates, a rereading it, I realize he's referring to an actual place.

Chariot

The official name of the first half of the Grand Line is called "Paradise". As far as I know, we only found that out once it was revealed the second half of the Grand Line is called "New World". So while a new reader would see Zeff calling the Grand Line Paradise as just something poetic about the romanticism of Pirates, a rereading it, I realize he's referring to an actual place.
Coul also mean that Zeff never actually managed to get to the New World.

Chariot

We don't really have a reliable frame of reference for how strong Zeff was. Kreig talked him up, but lol Kreig.
He was stronger than Arlongs crew. Remember how Sanji commented that Zeff's kicks were a lot harder than the one crewmate of Arlong's? And he only knew those kicks way after his zenite. I think Zeff was reasonably strong. Not New World strong probably, but reasonably.

Veelk

Banned
He was stronger than Arlongs crew. Remember how Sanji commented that Zeff's kicks were a lot harder than the one crewmate of Arlong's? And he only knew those kicks way after his zenite. I think Zeff was reasonably strong. Not New World strong probably, but reasonably.

Haven't gotten to that part yet in the reread, but lol arlong too. Anything before the grand line isn't a good metric, since the East Blue is piss weak, so if Zeff hung out in the grand line, obviously anyone here is going to talk him up.

The first 100 chapters of OP are the hardest for me to get through. Luffy is essentially unstoppable with no real rhyme or reason, so he just takes forever plowing through pirates just through sheer toughness. It won't be until Arlong that Luffy has to get smart (even if I dislike his strategies too). I can see worldbuilding pieces being put in place, (including a mention of Jinbe, man, I totally missed that when reading) and far more stereotypical and uninteresting characters than what we'll get when the real shit starts, and the art is far more sparse and open, more loose. Some people complain about it getting sharper, but I honestly dislike the beginning more. The most interesting is how the crew has more interactive dynamics since they don't know each other all that well yet, so they're more raw.

Veelk

Banned
One thing I never got. Ivo's power is basically being a transvestite, right? What about that is connected to enlarging your head?

One thing I never got. Ivo's power is basically being a transvestite, right? What about that is connected to enlarging your head?

Did you just blackout? There's no way to miss the fact that he has a devil fruit. He didn't get the ability to energize people, change their gender, change the size of their head etc. just by being a transvestite, lol.

Veelk

Banned
Did you just blackout? There's no way to miss the fact that he has a devil fruit. He didn't get the ability to energize people, change their gender, change the size of their head etc. just by being a transvestite, lol.

I mean, I know that was the devil fruit power and it's about hormones, but I'm not a biology major and aren't aware of a hormone that engorges heads specifically like that. So I assumed it was some kind of cultural reference to being a transvestite. So...what is it then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom