• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if the crew is going to be traveling back and forth for a bit. we haven't seen any of that before. would be interesting if they stay for a bit on zou and then head to wano and then back to zou.

Squishy3

Zou will probably be around the Punk Hazard length, so about 45ish chapters. I don't think we'll end up getting something along the lines of Dressrosa again until the final arc, I don't think Oda will make the mistake of introducing like 30 new characters again

Oxn

Think it will be that small? At first I expected it to be a minor arc as well, to have a breather after Dressrosa, but a giant thousand year old elephant seems too epic to just be glossed over.

I was actually being a little optimistic, but yea like the other guy said, maybe even 60

NeoGAF.

Where short arcs are apparently better than long arcs.

I don't care at all about how long an arc is; I still love every chapter and trust in Oda to go where he needs to with the story.

Squishy3

There's nothing wrong with a long arc if it feels like steady progress is being made, but Dressrosa has a lot of incremental progress when it came to the fights because it had a lot of swapping between the Straw Hats and the Gladiators each chapter, and didn't become joint fights with a Straw Hat pairing up with a gladiator fighter to take down an executive until near the end of a given fight with said executive.

I still like it overall, and I'm sure it's fine when inevitably I'll go back and read it from beginning to end, but still. It took a year and 2 weeks for Franky to defeat Senor Pink and destroy the SMILE factory, and he was the first one to reach his objective's location on Dressrosa. There were just a tad too many characters spread out over too many places for Oda's traditional formula of checking in with each one nearly every chapter.

Veelk

Banned
And the irony is that a short arc, Saobody, is still the best arc in the manga.

Hm...thinking about it, yeah. Maybe marineford beats it out for sheer epicness, but I have a huge soft spot for the supernova reveals and all the crazy shit that went down. I'd probably say that it's one of the best.

Gvitor

There's no way this will be longer than Dressrosa. Dressrosa was so big and tiring because Oda needed to introduce a bazillion characters so they'd eventually go on to be Straw Hat's divisions or whatever. (Yeah, it could've been done without the colosseum and the other thousand random characters, but still).

I refuse to believe Oda will introduce another 300 characters in one arc again. So it bloody has to be shorter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I imagine we're going to get smaller arcs until it comes time to face Kaido directly. That will be a hefty one.

Big One

Banned
I think Zou will be the Jaya to Wano's Skypeia, but I think nowadays the standard for "short arcs" is Punk Hazard size.

I do think Zou will have some info about the Void Century and/or the Ancient Kingdom which is going to be pretty hype.

Hm...thinking about it, yeah. Maybe marineford beats it out for sheer epicness, but I have a huge soft spot for the supernova reveals and all the crazy shit that went down. I'd probably say that it's one of the best.

It's still crazy that Oda apparently designed and named all the supernovas in 3 hours, with no planning beforehand.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I think Zou will be the Jaya to Wano's Skypeia, but I think nowadays the standard for "short arcs" is Punk Hazard size.

I do think Zou will have some info about the Void Century and/or the Ancient Kingdom which is going to be pretty hype.

Same here, It's been a while since Robin has seen a glyph (chapter wise)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I also want to know what happened with the tea party?
What about Kaido?
Did kidd and others tell him yet? Could they even speak?

Yeah, I know, I just kind of hope he isn't. Why is Oda still continuing on with the Shichibukai? Anyway, Luffy has been compared to a young Roger and has the backing of a lot of big shots. I don't think he should have a problem with Weeble if they meet. He is a bigger fish and I don't think a fight with Weeble, if it happens, should be much more than a gag fight. Evidently he is strong...but we are in the big league now. Luffy shouldnt have much time for guys like this...He has beaten 3 shichibukai already...they are not a big deal to him anymore.

not all the shichibukai are necessarily at the same level though. I don't think Luffy could have beaten Doflamingo before the time skip. Personally, I don't think he'll have too much trouble with Weeble, but you never know. They may not even fight.

Think it will be that small? At first I expected it to be a minor arc as well, to have a breather after Dressrosa, but a giant thousand year old elephant seems too epic to just be glossed over.

this is part of the reason why I think that it will be somewhat long

Zou will probably be around the Punk Hazard length, so about 45ish chapters. I don't think we'll end up getting something along the lines of Dressrosa again until the final arc, I don't think Oda will make the mistake of introducing like 30 new characters again

I mean, Oda introduced all the characters to set up the straw hat fleet, so it wasn't a waste of time, but as someone else said, he could have done it without introducing so many other characters as well. I think the coliseum was somewhat necessary because why else would all of them had been gathered in dressrosa in the first place?

I agree with both of these points. Also, I don't think we have to worry about a plethora of characters being introduced in the next couple arcs. I think There was a gap between the "end" of Dressrosa and the start of Zou so that Oda could introduce all the major players (Weeble, Kaidou, Kidd Alliance, etc.) in the next few (Zou/Wano) arcs.

There will be no need to introduce a lot of new major characters because we already know who they are. I can see the Strawhats making some kind of ally on the islands, because they always do, but nobody who will stick around forever, except maybe Jinbe if he shows up.

It's still crazy that Oda apparently designed and named all the supernovas in 3 hours, with no planning beforehand.

really? that's pretty impressive, they're all pretty unique and likable characters with cool designs.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
NeoGAF.

Where short arcs are apparently better than long arcs.

I don't care at all about how long an arc is; I still love every chapter and trust in Oda to go where he needs to with the story.

That's not an off-the-wall opinion at all?

A majority of people will probably say, when it comes to manga, a lot of the earlier arcs that are brief easily surpass the later ones that are bogged down.

Squishy3

I mean, Oda introduced all the characters to set up the straw hat fleet, so it wasn't a waste of time, but as someone else said, he could have done it without introducing so many other characters as well. I think the coliseum was somewhat necessary because why else would all of them had been gathered in dressrosa in the first place?
It's not a bad thing, and I'm not complaining about the coliseum (that's a very small set of chapters in itself all things considered) I'm talking about after Usopp sets them free from Sugar's curse and there's a lot of time where it's flashing between a member of the Straw Hats to a gladiator to Luffy to Kyros to King Riku. Lots of changes to another character's perspective that makes it feel like incremental progress was being made each week.

If Oda introduces new characters I hope they're paired with other characters a lot of the time so we aren't switching individual character perspectives multiple times throughout a week. Group them up, show the actions of 2 or more characters that way you aren't spending a lot of panels on just one characters' actions.

It's not a bad thing, and I'm not complaining about the coliseum (that's a very small set of chapters in itself all things considered) I'm talking about after Usopp sets them free from Sugar's curse and there's a lot of time where it's flashing between a member of the Straw Hats to a gladiator to Luffy to Kyros to King Riku. Lots of changes to another character's perspective that makes it feel like incremental progress was being made each week.

If Oda introduces new characters I hope they're paired with other characters a lot of the time so we aren't switching individual character perspectives multiple times throughout a week. Group them up, show the actions of 2 or more characters that way you aren't spending a lot of panels on just one characters' actions.

I don't really know how the fights will work, since Law's crew is there as well, but I have a hunch that there might not be any major fights on Zou, maybe some skirmishes against some powerful people, but I think that it will more be an arc of discovery and reunion, and all the fighting will transition into the Wano arc where the big battles will go down.

I also think we won't see any new major players on Zou, just pre existing characters and some supporting Minkmen

SalvaPot

I am pretty sure the Zou arc is going to be short, a reunion with the rest of the straw hats, a introduction of the minks. 40 chapters, tops.

I am pretty sure the Zou arc is going to be short, a reunion with the rest of the straw hats, a introduction of the minks. 40 chapters, tops.

we'll probably learn some stuff about Kaidou's crew and the history of the world too. not to mention a reunion with Law's crew.

will Law and co. still travel with Luffy after this?

I guess he wanted to take out Kaidou, but he wanted to do it using Doflamingo, so idk if he's ok with a head to head battle. I think they'll maintain the alliance though.

Big One

Banned
That's still a year's worth of time spent, lol. And if Weeble is the antagonist it could be pretty lengthy.

Marineford was really good on a large battle scale. And seeing Luffy's losing streak that started at Saobody reach its tipping point was very poignant.

Zou does seem like a great place to hide a Poneglyph.

And then there's the poneglyph that Jimbei has with him.

Veelk

Banned
Marineford was really good on a large battle scale. And seeing Luffy's losing streak that started at Saobody reach its tipping point was very poignant.

Yeah, one consistent feature I noticed is that, generally speaking, the more Luffy is in pain and loss, the better the arc is. Maybe it's because I just think it's much more interesting when OP actually subverts the whole "hero comes in to save the day" that is the norm of the series. It's one of the most tiring traits of OP that I find, the structure choreographed and unnatural, so it's far more interesting when the series beaks away from that. Or maybe I just hate the little fucker. Probably both.

Big One

Banned
Saw this theory on reddit that I really liked: https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/3nad2c/manga_spoilers_zou_and_smile_theory/

Basically Minkmen are the key ingredient to SAD to make SMILES, hence why Zoan users come out of the artificial Devil Fruits rather than it being something else. Vegapunk's Dragon DF that Momo ate was considered a failure cause it involved sacrificing an innocent life to make it, but that didn't stop Ceasar from continuing the development of the project.

Yeah, one consistent feature I noticed is that, generally speaking, the more Luffy is in pain and loss, the better the arc is. Maybe it's because I just think it's much more interesting when OP actually subverts the whole "hero comes in to save the day" that is the norm of the series. It's one of the most tiring traits of OP that I find, the structure choreographed and unnatural, so it's far more interesting when the series beaks away from that. Or maybe I just hate the little fucker. Probably both.

i know some people take issue with some of your posts in this thread, and get irritated, which I don't generally find to be the case for myself, as I think you raise a lot of interesting questions and the like, but this really got to me.

It doesn't make me mad, it just makes me sad ;-;

edit: Is Kong still commander in chief of the navy? Do you think we'll ever see him fight?

Veelk

Banned
i know some people take issue with some of your posts in this thread, and get irritated, which I don't generally find to be the case for myself, as I think you raise a lot of interesting questions and the like, but this really got to me.

It doesn't make me mad, it just makes me sad ;-;

Well, I'll clarify my position a bit.

The issue I take with Luffy is that he is essentially uninvolved in the world changing events he participates in. His motivation for every single arc is fundamentally the same. "My name is Indigo Montoya Monkey D. Luffy. You killed my father messed with my friends. Prepare to die get beat up." At any given modern arc, there is more going on than he realizes or cares about because if he happens to take a liking to the people there, he will fight to defend them. And it so happens that all he needs to do to solve everyone's problems is punch out the leader guy. For example, it's not like he is aware of the horrible shit that Doflamingo did to Law, and I'm pretty sure Rebecca didn't tell him of her family's history. So who was Doflamingo to Luffy? Just some jackass that kept causing a ruckus. So every villain of every arc comes across the same from his perspective. They all have varying personalities and backstories and such, but Luffy doesn't know or care about any of that, they are just people who his friends don't like for reasons he doesn't pay attention to. It makes his fights highly uninvolved and detached.

This moral is mostly taken from Shanks, who in the first chapter outlined his philosophy clearly: "I don't care what you do to me, but anyone who messes with my friends gets fucked, even if they're hte ones in the wrong." Every villain we had so far was unique to one another, but they were such a overtly evil that people uniformally loved what Luffy did, from Morgan to Doflamingo. For example, Doflamingo did a lot of horrible shit, but under his rule, Dressrosa prospered enormously. I questioned highly how the city can possibly come back from the kind of destruction that they were faced. Well, I apparently got the answer in the last Dressrosa chapter: easily. Apparently, they were in the happy process of rebuilding, and going out of their way to make statues even though they apparently had houses to build. The city was almost destroyed, and it's no big deal. The money that Doflamingo provided is gone, and it's no big deal.

So I hope you understand how in any given arc, what Luffy is doing is the least interesting thing going on, partly because it's predictable, partly because I find it inauthentic. In a real life scenerio, there would be a faction of Dressrosa citizens that hate the strawhats because their lives were fantastic before they arrived. I don't mean to say that they are selfish or evil, but it's a human reaction that people won't be happy that their lives got turned over like this, with extreme hardships placed upon them overnight. It'd be more believable that the money that Doflamingo brought in would be sorely needed to help with reparations and bringing livelihood up.

This unanimous love of Luffy is extremely grating then. Even if Dressrosa's citizens are happy that they are free from Doflamingo's rule, Luffy just introduced a whole new set of arduous problems, or by all rights should have, which would have left the Dressrosa citizens feeling atleast conflicted. Like, yeah, my precious owner was a maniac that placed us under a spell, but it was still a comfortable spell where I was happy (Essentially, the matrix problem). But, no, this happens every arc, Luffy punches out the big bad, and everybody loves it, everyone's problems are solved, yay....and as a result, Luffy's beliefs are never meaningfully challenged. For example, I would find it a very interesting situation if Luffy happened to meet one of the villains the first time before he met the innocent victims he's dicking over. Luffy's code only applies to friends, so what if the victims, in pure defense, are changing the tide against the villain, and the villain needs Luffy's help. Well, by how Luffy operates, the villain is his friend, so that would obligate him to help him crush the victims instead. But I doubt we're ever going to get that situation. Alternatively, Luffy would be so much more interesting to me if he actually considered the various dynamics of the world going on around him. He's after pure freedom, as he's said multiple times, but he's never abused his freedom, not out of some moral code, but just because he hasn't been inclined to do so. Take Bart, however, who has been relentlessly cruel to others, cutting out someone's tongue for a remark against Luffy. He's essentially following the same code of ethos that Luffy is, but he also enjoys causing people pain as long as they're not friends of his. Luffy doesn't know about this, Bart's just his fanboy. But what if he did? What would happen if Luffy looks at the generation for who he is an example and sees all the pain he has wrought by inspiring his principles in others?

I feel like Gon from Hunter X Hunter is what I would like Luffy to be. He's a bright eyed, generally nice kid, who only really gets mad if you mess with his friends. But whereas that series doesn't shy away from how alien and disturbing this can make him if placed in the right situation, Luffy is just this concept romanticized and kept away from more realistic (and, imo, interesting) consequences of having such an overly simplistic, extremist personality of "hurt friends, will fight". It will never have him befriend a monster wherein his moral code then obligates him to participate in atrocities, his actions will never come to a head where he has to regret the pain he has unintentionally caused others (I don't consider Impel Down to be an example because we have yet to see anything the inmates he let out did), because if they did, Luffy's character would break in one of two ways. He would either have to abandon his current lifestyle of 'living without regrets' and finally develop away from what we know him as now. Or else he can stay the same, indifferent of the pain he has wrought because he wants ultimate freedom to do the fuck he wants, then he becomes become, atleast a little, a monster himself.

So, TLDR, I view Luffy as too highly romanticized to see as an actual character that's interesting. He is a functional Deus Ex Machina that we are following throughout the world. A savior that just happens to show up to beat the evil bad guy for no real reason other than that he's just looking out for his friends, who are obviously all decent people themselves. This is also why I enjoyed the Enies Lobby arc, since that's the one time that Luffy's management of his friends (regarding Usopp) is put under question and pressure. I wish more of that happened. As it is, any emotional investment people get from any arc is from pasts that Luffy never sees, from people Luffy only barely talks to, and then saves because he can. So when I say that I consider Luffy to be at his most interesting when he is on unsteady ground with himself, I'm telling the truth. But I also hate that he's not anywhere near that 99% of the time, so in effect I highly dislike him.

Edit: If anyone is preparing to have another megadebate about this, just know that I'm not interested in this one. I just wanted to clarify my take on Luffy for Pegosaurus. Unlike most things I bring up, I feel that this delves more into subjective opinion than any objective fact might be gleamed from it through debate. Luffy bugged me for a long, long time and I couldn't put my finger on why until about a year ago, where I discovered the real problem was that I just didn't believe in him as a character. No amount of evidence anyone here can provide is really going to change that. If there is anything you wish me to clarify, I'd be down with that, but I'm not looking for a fight on this one.

Yeah, that's a really good one, although I'm also a complete sucker for Kizaru. It still bothers me though that every single Supernova somehow managed to escape even though they were utterly defeated. I don't know if I'd call it the best arc personally, but it's definitely up there in the top.

MCD

Well, I'll clarify my position a bit.

and I'm pretty sure Rebecca didn't tell him of her family's history. So who was Doflamingo to Luffy?

Luffy actually listened to Rebecca's story and didn't sleep or ignored her. A first for him.

A first? When has Luffy not paid attention when someone tells him their goals, or all the terrible things the person he's fighting has done?

Wouldn't say it's a first, but the other guy is kind of right; it actually happens quite often. The first time that I recall was way back during Arlong's arc. Luffy wasn't interested in hearing Nami's story, and decided to go for a walk. Zoro fell asleep, and thus only Sanji and Usopp listened. I think Luffy doesn't need to hear any story. The details of a person's history isn't important to him; what's important to him are the emotions. Luffy just knows.

MCD

hmm...maybe i'm wrong and it's not a first time for Luffy, yeah. But to me, he showed how different he is than your typical shonen MC when he told Vivi how naive she wants to save everyone without people dying.

Maedhros

I prefer short, with good pace, arcs.

But I don't remember that many in One Piece anymore. And with the current pace, I doubt it'll ever get one, since Oda likes to introduce 100+ character per arc now and give at least some pages of backstory and flashback to them (it was fine when it was 5 or six characters per arc).

BTW: rereading this arc and fuck... Usopp hasn't evolved at all. Let's flee guys, blahblahblah. Ugh.

Wouldn't say it's a first, but the other guy is kind of right; it actually happens quite often. The first time that I recall was way back during Arlong's arc. Luffy wasn't interested in hearing Nami's story, and decided to go for a walk. Zoro fell asleep, and thus only Sanji and Usopp listened. I think Luffy doesn't need to hear any story. The details of a person's history isn't important to him; what's important to him are the emotions. Luffy just knows.

Some people might complain about this but mark my words, this character trait has been foreshadowed again and again. It's going to have something to do with the One Piece and Will of D.

Roger could hear "the voice of all things", just like Luffy supposedly can.

uBGT9MJ.jpg

In the Viz translation it says: "I can hear your voice!"

Oxn

Some people might complain about this but mark my words, this character trait has been foreshadowed again and again. It's going to have something to do with the One Piece and Will of D.

Roger could hear "the voice of all things", just like Luffy supposedly can.

In the Viz translation it says: "I can hear your voice!"

.??

What are you talking about. She used a speakerphone

bjork

What if they can't get to Zou from where they are, so they need to go to Wano first and ride a flying dragon or something to get up there? Makes Wano the Jaya, make Zou the Skypeia, makes seeing the elephant the same as seeing the tall shadows from Skypeia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom