• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really didn't like this chapter but we need to see where this all goes. Too much time spent dicking around in the hail and I don't know WTF to think about weeble. He seems strong enough though. Very strange chapter.

Well what if that mother is devil fruit user and she is able to make puppets out of dead humans? She could have made a puppet out of Whitebeards corpse. I like that idea.

Sure, but this guy looks nothing like Whitebeard, aside from the moustache and the weapon, so it's clearly not Whitebeard's corpse.

bjork

Lol, there's no way you could possibly misinterpret the whole chapter even more, never mind the fact that the marines ordered Moriah dead, along with the fact that the marines themselves aren't sure if the new warlord really is who he claims to be. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion but you've got everything completely wrong.

was that ever clarified? I remember Doflamingo and some Pacifistas, and DD saying it was someone higher up, but that's it.

Chariot

Well what if that mother is devil fruit user and she is able to make puppets out of dead humans? She could have made a puppet out of Whitebeards corpse. I like that idea.
He doesn't look like Whitebead. Nextbest thought it that it's really her son, but with stuff from Whitebeard's corps stitched on.

was that ever clarified? I remember Doflamingo and some Pacifistas, and DD saying it was someone higher up, but that's it.

I don't think so. Doflamingo said that Moriah had to die because he was too weak, and said that someone higher than Sengoku had ordered it. However, Moriah was most likely not killed, but saved by Absalom, so he's still out there somewhere and we'll probably see him again.

Lunar15

Did MS really say "Enough with that Martha Stewart crap?"

I mean, really?

Also, I feel like this is the first time we've heard about a death toll regarding characters we've already seen before. Pretty dark.

bjork

I don't think so. Doflamingo said that Moriah had to die because he was too weak, and said that someone higher than Sengoku had ordered it. However, Moriah was most likely not killed, but saved by Absalom, so he's still out there somewhere and we'll probably see him again.

I think we need an Absalom cover page arc to catch up with that dude. I'd be interested to see his chain of events.

Kreed

One Piece 802:

I'm glad Oda is continuing to add to the Shichibukai, and White Beard's "son" seems like a fun character for Luffy to fight (I doubt he'll ever make it to Marco). The fact that his "mother" seems so confident he can beat Luffy even after the news that he beat Doflamingo says a lot about his strength though (or they are very delusional, but I'll go with confidence). Although now I'm more curious to see what's happened to White Beard's crew without him and Ace. I hope Marco and the others have made bigger names for themselves after all this time vs just fading into the background.

I'm also glad Oda is jumping straight into reuniting the crew/vs delaying things too much with side stories, and it sounds like Bartolomeo and his crew will be departing/going on their own way once they drop the Straw Hats, Law, and the Samurais off so that's good news for the Straw Hats getting more focus again.

Lunar15

I do get a "Majiin Buu" feeling from Weeble. Once his mom is removed from the picture, he'll probably be an ally in some way. He seems like he wants to go after Blackbeard, so I think there's an arc in there.

Kornflayx

Also, I didn't know that Edward is Whitebeard's last name, not his first name. His first name is Newgate...

cGcljXn.gif

Kreed

I thought it was funny. It's the kind of thing I expect to see in Toriko but good use of it here.

Yeah I immediately thought of Toriko when I saw the island. I know I was supposed to get a "wow" reaction from that scene, but it's hard when Toriko does goofy things like that every other chapter.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It did, but it's kind of funny because the name of the island is basically "Elephant".

It's literally what it says it is.
Yeah, I don't think anyone expected it to be a literal elephant.

Getting huge adventure vibes from Zou. One of the reasons Skypiea was so great was how outlandish it was. I love when OP does stuff like this. Thriller Bark was also pretty out there.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
We're totally getting some world history on this elephant, too. The 1000 year thing, I know someone mentioned Chopper talking to the elephant maybe but I'm more interested in the Mink. They're probably oblivious to the outside world with no human contact, they probably think the world is still however it was before the void. Robin's gonna hear some gooood stuff.

Island in the fog on the back of a live elephant? I wonder if it was the thing we saw in that panel after thriller bark. [Unlikely though, considering it has to cross over.]

All the stitching on Weeble's body, I wonder what that's about.

Looking at it again I wouldn't be surprised if Gekko Moriah was involved. But he would have to be an underling rather than the main boss if so. Given he is being told to not go after Blackbeard this could be some sort of Blackbeard scam.

daveo42

Banned
Odd chapter. Nice to see the crew coming back together pretty fast, though I'm guessing we'll get an exposition chapter or two to cover the events on Zou.

Island in the fog on the back of a live elephant? I wonder if it was the thing we saw in that panel after thriller bark. [Unlikely though, considering it has to cross over.]

That was my first thought actually. Thick fog, moving mountain "thing" with eyes. It'd be a great callback and we might get to see Lola and her crew again if they somehow got scooped up onto the back of the elephant. If anything, it'll get cleared up in a future SBS if not covered in the manga itself.

One Piece 802:

I'm glad Oda is continuing to add to the Shichibukai, and White Beard's "son" seems like a fun character for Luffy to fight (I doubt he'll ever make it to Marco). The fact that his "mother" seems so confident he can beat Luffy even after the news that he beat Doflamingo says a lot about his strength though (or they are very delusional, but I'll go with confidence). Although now I'm more curious to see what's happened to White Beard's crew without him and Ace. I hope Marco and the others have made bigger names for themselves after all this time vs just fading into the background.

I'm also glad Oda is jumping straight into reuniting the crew/vs delaying things too much with side stories, and it sounds like Bartolomeo and his crew will be departing/going on their own way once they drop the Straw Hats, Law, and the Samurais off so that's good news for the Straw Hats getting more focus again.

I honestly don't think he will be much of a threat to luffy, or at least I hope he isn't...He just beat DF who is an absolutel beast. This guy looks like a big step down from that. Luffy shouldn't have much time for people like this anymore to be honest...I hope this isn't some kind of misstep by Oda. We have already got enough big fish for the SH to wade through...Can't we get over the shichibukai (minus Mihawk and Kuma obvioulsy...)

Kornflayx

I honestly don't think he will be much of a threat to luffy, or at least I hope he isn't...He just beat DF who is an absolutel beast. This guy looks like a big step down from that. Luffy shouldn't have much time for people like this anymore to be honest...I hope this isn't some kind of misstep by Oda. We have already got enough big fish for the SH to wade through...Can't we get over the shichibukai (minus Mihawk and Kuma obvioulsy...)

Considering he went through 16 Whitebeard captains (and destroying whole towns in the process) I don't know if he's going to be a pushover.

I'm curious how Stephen will translate his speech quirk.

bjork

Considering he went through 16 Whitebeard captains (and destroying whole towns in the process) I don't know if he's going to be a pushover.

I'm curious how Stephen will translate his speech quirk.

I wonder which 16 they are. There are like 20 listed as "crew" on the wiki and then a bunch more listed as "allies" so idk which ones count.

Chariot

I wonder which 16 they are. There are like 20 listed as "crew" on the wiki and then a bunch more listed as "allies" so idk which ones count.
I think it's the allies. We know how the captains looked, they would've showed the body of the captain that was defeated there.

omg i'm so excited

i love that oda made the last shichibukai a total idiot, and I love that Zou is an actual elephant

I remember someone said that a race of beast people lived on Zou, I guess they were right!

I guess Weeble is going to be a major player in this arc, and maybe Marco too?

I can't wait! I'm glad there's no hiatus next week. Hopefully the crew will finally reunite.

Kornflayx

I think it's the allies. We know how the captains looked, they would've showed the body of the captain that was defeated there.

Well they showed A.O in this chapter, we just don't know the other 15. But I guess those were just the allied captains and not the main division commanders

smurfx

get some go again
We're totally getting some world history on this elephant, too. The 1000 year thing, I know someone mentioned Chopper talking to the elephant maybe but I'm more interested in the Mink. They're probably oblivious to the outside world with no human contact, they probably think the world is still however it was before the void. Robin's gonna hear some gooood stuff.
if these minkmen were largely undisturbed by humans for a 1000 years then they probably do have a ton of info about the void century. hell the reason they hate humans might be because of what happened during the void century. although i'm kinda wondering if sanji and the others are even on this island. if they were for some reason on another island then maybe jimbei would meet up with them instead of luffy. weeble might be the one to find sanji's group as well. perhaps sanji and the others run into marco.

A.O. was one of his "allies" at Marineford so I am assuming he's targeting them first then going after the sub-commanders after they're all gone.

#SaveWhiteyBay

Big One

Banned
One Piece 802:

It's pretty obvious that Weeble isn't actually Whitebeard's son and is just being manipulated by his mother. I do however think Weeble will turn good due to Luffy's intervention, and he'll eventually inherit the will of Whitebeard. Whitebeard likely never had a real son cause he already had hundreds of them on his crew as is (basically achieving his dream already, hence why he never went as far as Gold Roger aka Pirate King).

He MIGHT be made up of Whitebeard's body ala Geckoh Moria due to those stitches looking suspicious. But it's hard to say as really only Moria has been seen to be able to do that and why would he ally himself with this old woman? Regardless I do not think Weeble is going to be the Zou arc antagonist but will be an antagonist later (maybe for my prediction of a Pirate's Island arc).

Bart's interactions were pretty lol-worthy. I do think Grammy might know more than we think though or else they likely wouldn't have even gotten to Dressrosa or other places.

Zou looks awesome as hell. I wonder how you're even supposed to get on that thing. The 1000 year remark implies some Void Century and Ancient Kingdom exposition coming out.

Big One

Banned
But yeah I think it's clear Weeble's mom is actually Lola's mom.

67iLAUp.png
B8J8cSS.jpg

Weeble also shares Lola's braids as well, as well as being part of his Jolly Roger:

xj1Yeqe.png

Also another funny thing to note is that Lola's zombie form had her tusks in the same shape as Whitebeard's moustache:

K04ate9.png

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That was my first thought actually. Thick fog, moving mountain "thing" with eyes. It'd be a great callback and we might get to see Lola and her crew again if they somehow got scooped up onto the back of the elephant. If anything, it'll get cleared up in a future SBS if not covered in the manga itself.

I thought about it too. But they don't really match up.

There's three things, or really, one thing with three... parts? They seem connected at the bottom.

Don't think Zou could've made it across the Red Line, anyway.

Kreed

The bolded on it's own is a big reason why Oda has to keep the Shichibukai relevant, mostly Mihawk since he is Zoro's end goal. Plus there are only 4 emperors, 1 that Luffy will probably never fight, and one that will probably be the final villain. Including the 3 Admirals + Akainu, if Oda wants to keep the second half going for a while, the Shichibukai have to remain relevant outside of Mihawk.

Tizoc

Islands on turtles are used in various stories and myths, an elephant though is friggin' brilliant but it might also be based on some myths from india perhaps?
Non the less Gotta love all these ideas Oda is using :D

But yeah I think it's clear Weeble's mom is actually Lola's mom.

67iLAUp.png
B8J8cSS.jpg

Weeble also shares Lola's braids as well, as well as being part of his Jolly Roger:

xj1Yeqe.png

Also another funny thing to note is that Lola's zombie form had her tusks in the same shape as Whitebeard's moustache:

K04ate9.png

cGcljXn.gif

Anteater

I thought about it too. But they don't really match up.

There's three things, or really, one thing with three... parts? They seem connected at the bottom.

Don't think Zou could've made it across the Red Line, anyway.

They're the legs. Oda purposely didn't draw the top to make it harder to figure out what it is, and because of how thick the fog is. Don't know how it got there though, lol. Also wouldn't work with the anime version since I think they showed the eyes on the middle pillar thing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They're the legs. Oda purposely didn't draw the top to make it harder to figure out what it is, and because of how thick the fog is. Don't know how it got there though, lol. Also wouldn't work with the anime version since I think they showed the eyes on the middle pillar thing.

HMMMM. I guess I could buy the leg explanation, if we assume that "eyes" panel isn't actually showing the eyes on one of the pillars, but is rather a completely different shot from a different angle. Which seems like a bit of a stretch. And yeah, the Red Line problem. But I feel ya.

Tizoc

Which chapters are these panels from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom