• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know that was the devil fruit power and it's about hormones, but I'm not a biology major and aren't aware of a hormone that engorges heads specifically like that. So I assumed it was some kind of cultural reference to being a transvestite. So...what is it then?

Lol, it's a manga. Of all the things that don't make sense, this is what gets you? Man, it's just a move he does where he manipulates hormones to make a persons head expand. Ivankov can manipulate hormones in many different ways, and I'm sure most of them aren't biologically accurate. That's the power of the Hormone Fruit.

Veelk

Banned
Lol, it's a manga. Of all the things that don't make sense, this is what gets you? Man, it's just a move he does where he manipulates hormones to make a persons head expand. Ivankov can manipulate hormones in many different ways, and I'm sure most of them aren't biologically accurate. That's the power of the Hormone Fruit.

Dude, it's one of about a 12 thousand things that gets me in OP, and that is a conservative estimate at best. I've read other manga, most of them don't get as weird as OP.

Anyway, Iva expands his head in particular. Luffy grows his arms and legs and body, for example, for combat purposes. I was just wondering if there was some reason Iva does it in particular, but apparently not.

Sin

But yeah I think it's clear Weeble's mom is actually Lola's mom.

67iLAUp.png
B8J8cSS.jpg

Weeble also shares Lola's braids as well, as well as being part of his Jolly Roger:

xj1Yeqe.png

Also another funny thing to note is that Lola's zombie form had her tusks in the same shape as Whitebeard's moustache:

K04ate9.png

What if she is Lola's Grandmother...

Miss Bakkin could be Big Mom's mother and Big Mom could still be Lola's mother. :O

Russ T

Banned
I just remembered why I assumed it had to be sea/salt water to weaken a Devil Fruit user.

In the goddamn Arlong fight, Luffy is almost entirely submerged in a pool of water, and he only survives by stretching his neck from the pool floor to the surface so he can breathe.

If that was sea water, he wouldn't have been able use his power to do that, right?

So, retcon?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just remembered why I assumed it had to be sea/salt water to weaken a Devil Fruit user.

In the goddamn Arlong fight, Luffy is almost entirely submerged in a pool of water, and he only survives by stretching his neck from the pool floor to the surface so he can breathe.

If that was sea water, he wouldn't have been able use his power to do that, right?

So, retcon?

His powers would still work, the Sea water just weakens him immensely. Look at the trip to Fishmen Island, Luffy can still use his powers in the water but they put a huge strain on him. Sea water has never stopped powers from working, it only weakens the user to the point where they may not be able to use them.

bjork

So, retcon?

The pool was an extension out to the sea, so I'm guessing it was sea water. Though, keep in mind that it was Nojiko and Gen that stretched his neck. I'm gonna guess he couldn't do it himself, but his body was still stretchy.

Russ T

Banned
The pool was an extension out to the sea, so I'm guessing it was sea water. Though, keep in mind that it was Nojiko and Gen that stretched his neck. I'm gonna guess he couldn't do it himself, but his body was still stretchy.

Oh yeah good point. I guess if he'd been able to use his powers for real, he wouldn't have been trapped under that rubble in the first place.

Bandini

The pool was standing water, not flowing. Devil fruit users aren't effected unless they're in flowing water like a sea, Oda talked about it in a SBS.

bjork

The pool was standing water, not flowing. Devil fruit users aren't effected unless they're in flowing water like a sea, Oda talked about it in a SBS.

You mean this?

D: Odacchi! Here's a question for you! Crocodile can't fight water because he's "sand," right? Then how does he bathe?! Does he at all?! That's filthy!! Do you bathe, Odacchi? by Crocodile's Mother

O: First of all, let's discuss the problem of Devil Fruit users bathing themselves. People who have eaten a Devil Fruit are "hated" by the sea, and cannot swim. The "sea" here can refer to anything from rivers, pools and baths to any kind of standing water. On a worldwide level, they are all the "sea." When these people enter the water, not only can they not use their powers, they have trouble moving their bodies at all. They might be able to struggle a bit, but it wouldn't do much good. That's if their entire bodies are submerged in the "sea." With less than half the body or just the limbs, it gets easier. Also, rain and dripping water have no effect at all. Therefore, hip baths or showers are the most common choice. Now, in Crocodile's case, "water" is the weakness of his very powers, so his abilities are robbed even in the shower. But it's not like there are enemies around when you take a shower, so I'd bet he would take them even with his powers being blocked. Don't you think? ---And to answer your final question, about myself bathing. As it happens, I do bathe. Twice! In a year!

See you next volume!

bjork

It's weird that the series has gone on as long as it has and it's always either perfectly dry land or fear of falling into open sea.

But wasn't Kalifa in a bubble bath? Wait a minute, Oda...

Chariot

It's weird that the series has gone on as long as it has and it's always either perfectly dry land or fear of falling into open sea.

But wasn't Kalifa in a bubble bath? Wait a minute, Oda...
Nope. They talked abotu that. Kalifa didn't fight while she was in the bath.

gU6zbUn.png

Chariot

I meant with his eyelid as well. Why is it more practical to enlarge your head along with it?
Because a giant single bodypart is going to hinder you. Just enlarge the whole thing, it's easier and won't rip your eye off while running through the woods.

Veelk

Banned
Because a giant single bodypart is going to hinder you. Just enlarge the whole thing, it's easier and won't rip your eye off while running through the woods.

At no point did he run through any woods, and I imagine any tree branch that would touch the eyeball of someone as strong as Iva would probably be more damaged than his eye.
Because oda likes drawing him with a giant head.

Oda just likes drawing silly things guys.

Probably the real reason.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Probably the real reason.

I'm sure this is the real reason.

BUT, how on earth would you just enlarge an eye and eyelid in a meaningful enough way without enlarging the head to actually.. hold that eye? A big head has the neck as kind of a manageable tapering point, but just growing one chunk of your face that's not a protruding element like an ear or nose doesn't seem particularly feasible. The eye socket in the skull would have to increase in size to hold the larger eye, and that would force the stuff around the eye socket to grow to hold the larger socket... etc etc.

Veelk

Banned
I'm sure this is the real reason.

BUT, how on earth would you just enlarge an eye and eyelid in a meaningful enough way without enlarging the head to actually.. hold that eye? A big head has the neck as kind of a manageable tapering point, but just growing one chunk of your face that's not a protruding element like an ear or nose doesn't seem particularly feasible. The eye socket in the skull would have to increase in size to hold the larger eye, and that would force the stuff around the eye socket to grow to hold the larger socket... etc etc.

I laugh everytime someone tries to argue feasibility as a defense in OP. Ivo's neck would break from not being able to hold up his head. Enlarging a single eye wouldn't be any less feasible than what is already happening. Anyway, the eyesocket doesn't need to grow with the eye, it can just pop out a little.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I laugh everytime someone tries to argue feasibility as a defense in OP. Ivo's neck would break from not being able to hold up his head. Enlarging a single eye wouldn't be any less feasible than what is already happening. Anyway, the eyesocket doesn't need to grow with the eye, it can just pop out a little.

Hormones that maximize the strength of his neck muscles. BAM. Bigginating that socket in isolation would totally be crazier. And if you keep it the same size and just pop the eye out a little, the eye's not actually any "bigger" in a way that would improve that wink. Socket and eyeball, package deal.

Veelk

Banned
Hormones that maximize the strength of his neck muscles. BAM. Bigginating that socket in isolation would totally be crazier. And if you keep it the same size and just pop the eye out a little, the eye's not actually any "bigger" in a way that would improve that wink. Socket and eyeball, package deal.

If you're going to argue that way, he can do the same with his eye muscles. For it to be a wink, he need to enlarge the eyelid, but he doesn't need to enlarge his whole head. And I am not saying make the eye a 'little' bigger, I mean enlarge it the way he enlarges his head. Have the eye be bigger than his head. So be like...

I forgot to draw a border around the eye, so pretend it's there. It can go bigger too. Like, make it larger than his body, the way he can make his head. It's no less plausible than anything else in OP.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If you're going to argue that way, he can do the same with his eye muscles. For it to be a wink, he need to enlarge the eyelid, but he doesn't need to enlarge his whole head. And I am not saying make the eye a 'little' bigger, I mean enlarge it the way he enlarges his head. Have the eye be bigger than his head. So be like...

I forgot to draw a border around the eye, so pretend it's there. It can go bigger too. Like, make it larger than his body, the way he can make his head. It's no less plausible than anything else in OP.

Ya know what, I'm just gonna give you this one, since you produced that wonderful image.

But I'm very interested to see what Ivankov looks like from the side with an eye like that.

arkon

I mean, I know that was the devil fruit power and it's about hormones, but I'm not a biology major and aren't aware of a hormone that engorges heads specifically like that. So I assumed it was some kind of cultural reference to being a transvestite. So...what is it then?

Overproduction of human growth hormone can lead to things like gigantism and acromegaly leading to enlargement of the skull etc in some cases. That could be what's going on in the series. Obviously this being One Piece the effects and timescales involved are exaggerated.

It may just be that Ivankov doesn't have that level of control over his hormone power so he isn't able to localize the effects of the hormones so specifically to just an eyeball. Maybe that's something for his awakening

Qurupeke

Damn, I really hope not. The past few arcs have been quite long, with Dressrosa being the king so far. I have a feeling that Zou is going to be short, a stop before Wano that will be 50+, but considering plot points like Weeble, Minkmen, Kaido's subordinates, Weeble, Law's crew and SHs reunion, it could be longer than I expect. I'm optimistic that it won't though...

I'm gonna take a shot at it being pretty short. 20-25, out by the end of winter next year.

Pacing wise, I don't think it's wise to do something even remotely long after Dressrossa, but that's my guess.

i don't get it

i guess we don't really know

I guess a solo pirate would work as a shichibukai too though, they might as well be a captain

His power is described as overwhelming by a marine admiral, so he's bound to be pretty friggin strong

Yeah, I know, I just kind of hope he isn't. Why is Oda still continuing on with the Shichibukai? Anyway, Luffy has been compared to a young Roger and has the backing of a lot of big shots. I don't think he should have a problem with Weeble if they meet. He is a bigger fish and I don't think a fight with Weeble, if it happens, should be much more than a gag fight. Evidently he is strong...but we are in the big league now. Luffy shouldnt have much time for guys like this...He has beaten 3 shichibukai already...they are not a big deal to him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom