• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
By thst logic Kubo should know what he is doing too.
He doesn't.

Oda knows what he is doing, but let his work speak, not the duration of it.

I don't know who the hell Kubo is and couldn't care less, but in every other industry in the world, the years of experience are always taken in metric, so why wouldn't it do that here? He's been making the world's best making manga for many years; with tons of arcs, characters and scenes. I don't think he cares if you don't think he's good enough, because he's done damn good for himself. And on the note of this one arc, I personally didn't find it to be messy at all.

Kain

I have to somewhat agree, I find the beginning of this arc to be a little messy to be honest. Oda doesn't need to give five episodes explanations like Higashi does, but these parts with so much exposition would be better with a more paused pace, to be honest.

Yeah.

Jack attacks Zou
Get beaten
Poison Gas
Sanji & co force him to retreat
Jack tries to rescue Dofla

Thanks, I wasn't as lost as I thought then. That confirms that Jack either has very bad luck or he's a jobber of the biggest caliber lol

Chariot

I don't know who the hell Kubo is and couldn't care less, but in every other industry in the world, the years of experience are always taken in metric, so why wouldn't it do that here? He's been making the world's best making manga for many years; with tons of arcs, characters and scenes. I don't think he cares if you don't think he's good enough, because he's done damn good for himself. And on the note of this one arc, I personally didn't find it to be messy at all.
Kubo is the mangaka of Bleach, who works also almost as long as Oda in the biz and still didn't learn a thing. Bleach OT is one of the few OT threads where most of the regular people have a negative opinion about the topic.

Thanks, I wasn't as lost as I thought then. That confirms that Jack either has very bad luck or he's a jobber of the biggest caliber lol
Neither, he just picks targets much bigger than him. That's just plain bad decision making. I don't know yet if he's overconfident or just stupid.

Nibel

What is that thing standing behind jack when his bounty is revealed?

That's him as a human

Jack is Luffy's mom.

So you are implying here that a woman wouldn't be fit or strong enough to be the mother of one of the strongest rookies in the One Piece universe and even greenlight this demonstration of male power fantasy? I'm disgusted

messy chapter. oda needs a better editor.

What about that chapter is messy?

Strawhats talk to the king -> king falls asleep which leads to the explanation of Zou having two leaders -> Sicilian falls asleep as well and remembers the fight against Jack -> new powerlevels, informations and characters are being revealed and introduced that put things into perspective -> end

If that's too messy to you I recommend reading The Cat In The Hat

Minks> every fishman that is not jimbei confirmed.

Gotta say I'm loving the pace of this arc even if it's mostly flashbacks.

Minks could electrify the Fishmen, right? They really seem like the stronger group of people

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think we should know by now that One Piece is paced for the volumes not the weekly chapters.
Its success gives it the privilege to do this. And we should be thankful for it. OP is the perfect show for binge reading/watching.

I do miss mini-arcs like we had in East Blue sometimes, but eh.

Jack is Luffy's mom.
THANK you.

Otherwise, cmon Oda the last time we had a break it ended with SANJI IS- and now we have another one?! Ugh.

The minks are really badass, and Imo we are seeing them in detail like this because they will be aiding Luffy in the final battle.

MCD

That's him as a human

So you are implying here that a woman wouldn't be fit or strong enough to be the mother of one of the strongest rookies in the One Piece universe and even greenlight this demonstration of male power fantasy? I'm disgusted

What about that chapter is messy?

Strawhats talk to the king -> king falls asleep which leads to the explanation of Zou having two leaders -> Sicilian falls asleep as well and remembers the fight against Jack -> new powerlevels, informations and characters are being revealed and introduced that put things into perspective -> end

If that's too messy to you I recommend reading The Cat In The Hat

Minks could electrify the Fishmen, right? They really seem like the stronger group of people

It's messy in how Oda put a zillion thing in a single panel or page. The minks weird designs aren't helping too.

Kreed

One Piece 809:

As I said last week, I'm really liking this change of pace with the Mink story line. Seeing the Minks not be totally helpless and against enemies that aren't complete push overs (particularly Jack) is nice. That said, the stronger they are the more trouble they are going to be once the Samurai's return (I actually hope I'm wrong here story wise and maybe when the Samurai/Ninja show up it's not a big deal and doesn't cause a conflict). I hope Oda continues to go into details with this flash back, as it would be cool to see some battles with the other Straw Hats since we haven't seen them in action in so long.

Squishy3

The other thing is Dressrosa is the outlier as far as the New World goes, where the inhabitants are completely helpless... because they're just regular people. The other countries by necessity have probably had to become as strong as they are just to make it after the pirate boom started.

Chariot

The other thing is Dressrosa is the outlier as far as the New World goes, where the inhabitants are completely helpless... because they're just regular people. The other countries by necessity have probably had to become as strong as they are just to make it after the pirate boom started.
Good point. There is a lot to be said about Dofla, but his presence alone protected the island from most threats, and the big ones didn't care for him or the kingdom.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I agree it was hard to see some of what was going on in this chapter, particularly the cat guy reveal. I couldn't really tell what his body shape was in that panel, it was kind of just a mess of lines. Very busy when there are a million minks in panel.

I prefer One Piece in the original black and white, but color would've helped immensely for differentiating the various characters.

It'll be interesting to see how other islands in the New World stack up. You'd think with pirates like Jack, not to mention fucking Yonko sailing around that there would be few peaceful civilizations left.

It'll be interesting to see how other islands in the New World stack up. You'd think with pirates like Jack, not to mention fucking Yonko sailing around that there would be few peaceful civilizations left.
Yea im getting a feeling most of these islands will be decked out with warriors. Wano,elbaf,zou,dressrosa,whole cake island,punk hazard,baltigo(am i missing any known ones) we know at least 5 of those have potential threats on them that can pose a challenge. We've been to three so far

Veelk

Banned
I agree it was hard to see some of what was going on in this chapter, particularly the cat guy reveal. I couldn't really tell what his body shape was in that panel, it was kind of just a mess of lines. Very busy when there are a million minks in panel.

I prefer One Piece in the original black and white, but color would've helped immensely for differentiating the various characters.

I made a topic a while back that died pretty fast that more manga should be colored after release like OP is, and I was met with similar responses about it. I decided it depends on the manga because I really can't see something like Berserk being colored and maintaining it's feel. Like, even the cover pages can look off. But for me, it's the opposite when it comes to OP. One Piece was definitely meant to be in color with it's cartoonish art style. For one thing, it makes everything easier to see, like you said. The Marine Ford arc is going to be useful for that by itself, but it's already helped with every arc that incorporated complex arc, like Impel Down does currently. It only really didn't give much help in early OP where things were a lot simpler. And the characters stand out all the movie with having unique color palettes as well as designs.

The only real downfall is that the fact that the there is a small glow around each character is much more evident and can become really distracting. In BW, you only sometimes notice it and can underrstand why it's there, because if everything was connecting, things would be REALLY hard to see. But that's not an issue with the colored version, so you just have this small white glow around everything like they're imbued with the holy spirit.

Still, I'd like to atleast have more options for manga in color.

bjork

I never thought I'd say this, but I might actually take a few months off and come back when I can reread a big chunk of it. Just not feeling this arc at all.

messy chapter. oda needs a better editor.

I don't know what chapter you read. lol

If you haven't caught on already to what's happening, Oda is showing us the present events on Zou while also retroactively showing us the events that happened before Sanji's group landed.
In any other arc, we would have gotten a exposition character just tell us everything in a page or two without going into much detail.
I welcome the structure change since we still get to see Luffy and co. mingling and exploring Zou as well as see what caused Zou to fall to ruin, instead of the flashbacks just being a connected string of chapters that halt the arc progression.

If I'm right, we'll see Jack's group use the poison weapons next chapter, then the following chapter, we'll see the Swirlybrow crew arrive at Zou where we'll see what they've been up to during their absence.

I never thought I'd say this, but I might actually take a few months off and come back when I can reread a big chunk of it. Just not feeling this arc at all.

See you in two weeks.

I do feel like we are burning out on the hype since it's been a sort of crazy year for the manga. It's like, Jack is this 1 billion berry monster mammoth but it barely registers on the hype meter. Maybe in 10 years time when they fight him his hype levels will be through the roof.

I made a topic a while back that died pretty fast that more manga should be colored after release like OP is, and I was met with similar responses about it. I decided it depends on the manga because I really can't see something like Berserk being colored and maintaining it's feel. Like, even the cover pages can look off. But for me, it's the opposite when it comes to OP. One Piece was definitely meant to be in color with it's cartoonish art style. For one thing, it makes everything easier to see, like you said. The Marine Ford arc is going to be useful for that by itself, but it's already helped with every arc that incorporated complex arc, like Impel Down does currently. It only really didn't give much help in early OP where things were a lot simpler. And the characters stand out all the movie with having unique color palettes as well as designs.

The only real downfall is that the fact that the there is a small glow around each character is much more evident and can become really distracting. In BW, you only sometimes notice it and can underrstand why it's there, because if everything was connecting, things would be REALLY hard to see. But that's not an issue with the colored version, so you just have this small white glow around everything like they're imbued with the holy spirit.

Still, I'd like to atleast have more options for manga in color.
I'd buy physical color volumes in a heartbeat. I agree that the series really needs them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I guess my problem with the color volumes is that they're "colorized." It's like old black and white films being painted over. When the original art was drawn, it was composited based on the limitations of the medium. Certain things jet black, certain things in certain places to provide proper contrast, etc. It's all purposeful art, even if from time to time it ends up looking a little busy.

While canonical coloring schemes end up getting established via volume colors and things like that, simply backporting those colors would end up creating some very weird looking scenes. You could have two absurdly colored things next to each other that Oda never would've composited that way were he doing it with color in mind originally.

Plus these recolors aren't actually colored by Oda, so there's yet another level of disconnect there. I'd feel better if Oda were doing it, like he does for the color spreads, but even then it's all very revisionist.

Colour is expensive, but what's worse is the loss of detail. I've yet to see a coloured page with the same level of detail as a black/white page. Expressions lose meaning. Still, of course colour is nice, but I wouldn't expect to ever see official releases of coloured volumes. It'd be far too expensive.

Veelk

Banned
I guess my problem with the color volumes is that they're "colorized." It's like old black and white films being painted over. When the original art was drawn, it was composited based on the limitations of the medium. Certain things jet black, certain things in certain places to provide proper contrast, etc. It's all purposeful art, even if from time to time it ends up looking a little busy.

While canonical coloring schemes end up getting established via volume colors and things like that, simply backporting those colors would end up creating some very weird looking scenes. You could have two absurdly colored things next to each other that Oda never would've composited that way were he doing it with color in mind originally.

Plus these recolors aren't actually colored by Oda, so there's yet another level of disconnect there. I'd feel better if Oda were doing it, like he does for the color spreads, but even then it's all very revisionist.

That's ...mostly fair, but I would avoid trying to think of any writer as a godlike figure that makes every decision with perfect and precise purpose for why it's this way and it can't be any other way. Sometimes it's because Oda wants there to be a sharp visual contrast, sometimes he just needs two characters to be at a particular place. Which isn't to say that he never pays attention to creating purposeful art, but I wouldn't say it's the vast majority of it. So I don't really see that as a concern since while some few frames might end up looking weird by coincidence of having noncontrasting colors, often times does contrast anyway, or else just looks fine.

Have you read any particular arc in color?

Veelk

Banned
I've read through Enis Lobby/Water 7 in color (also parts of Dressrosa) and it was pretty awesome.

I think all the arcs have been improved by it. Except maybe Thriller Bark, but that arc is extremely ugly to me black or white. But I do agree, Ennies Lobby in particular was well visually pleasing.

Veelk

Banned
Thriller Bark looked really good in the anime imo

It depends on how much you like the art style rather than the technical quality. The Nightmare before christmas is a look I can dig for a bit, but 800 pages of it makes me hate it. I felt the same about NBC too. First half hour, I love it, then I hate it. It's a personal issue, I know.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fishman Island in color was amazing in the manga. That particular environment was made to experience its dream-like, watercolor-esque atmosphere. It got kind of washed out in the anime, but man, it was great in the manga.

One Piece in general is a very colorful series. Everything is bright and cheerful. I feel like it isn't complete without things like Franky's or Vivi's candy-cane blue hair, or Sanji's constantly changing undershirt color.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bepo isn't a wimp, but he's very apologetic.
When a couple Marines pointed out he's a bear, he apologized for it. When he asked if Amazon Lily had female bears, his crew mates yelled at him and he apologized for that. If he wanted a female bear, he could have headed back to Zou.

I dunno if I'm not allowed to post scans, but the digital colored manga looks very vibrant and excellent compared to your average fan colorings.

004.jpg

16.jpg

017.jpg

The best part is that none of the hatching and shading is removed.

Russ T

Banned
holy shit those look incredible to me

i would dish out a large sum of money for physical one piece in color like that D:

(although i think scans are forbidden are they not? D:)

(i admit tho, i would feel way better if i knew those were official and done/approved by oda)

holy shit those look incredible to me

i would dish out a large sum of money for physical one piece in color like that D:

(although i think scans are forbidden are they not? D:)

(i admit tho, i would feel way better if i knew those were official and done/approved by oda)
There are official color volumes released digitally by Shueisha. But only in Japanese. I would definitely pay at least double per volume for them if released physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom