• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scans are only forbidden if there's a watermark on them.

Lol, this is of course incorrect, but it's situational, and posting scans like above should be fine. You can't just photoshop or crop a watermark away, or post a scan from Famitsu just because there isn't a watermark on it.

Looks good, but I wish the backgrounds had some color or substance in the panels without anything drawn. Don't like the blank white backgrounds there.
It's jarring to me, anyway.

Russ T

Banned
Looks good, but I wish the backgrounds had some color or substance in the panels without anything drawn. Don't like the blank white backgrounds there.
It's jarring to me, anyway.

Yeah even like just a slight change in color behind the different characters in those close-up frames of their faces would be good. Preferably a little bit of texture, too.

But damn it looks really good besides that. D:

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The occasional white backgrounds are one of the things that bug me about the color volumes. It's this mix of full color and just "color elements on white" that makes scenes start to feel anemic. When it's all black and white there's no dissonance, a white background doesn't really seem any different, cause everything's white. It's just a way to emphasize the foreground.

A lot of the color pages really do look fantastic, but like that one up there with Akainu's lava punch is an example of a page that bugs me with its white bits. Feels kinda unfinished, feels like they're coloring something that wasn't built for color. Which, well, they are.

Now if every page looked as good as the actual Oda-colored color spreads we'd be in business. But as-is it's kinda so-so for me.

Veelk

Banned
The occasional white backgrounds are one of the things that bug me about the color volumes. It's this mix of full color and just "color elements on white" that makes scenes start to feel anemic. When it's all black and white there's no dissonance, a white background doesn't really seem any different, cause everything's white. It's just a way to emphasize the foreground.

A lot of the color pages really do look fantastic, but like that one up there with Akainu's lava punch is an example of a page that bugs me with its white bits. Feels kinda unfinished, feels like they're coloring something that wasn't built for color. Which, well, they are.

Now if every page looked as good as the actual Oda-colored color spreads we'd be in business. But as-is it's kinda so-so for me.

I wouldn't call that a fair comparison, since even black or white, a cover page has way more detail to it than most panels of the story. It's got extra detail so as to sell more.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Did an update of the Arc Chapter Counts. How long each arc lasts in the manga.

Dressrosa: 102
Skypiea: 66
Alabasta: 63
Enies Lobby: 56
Water 7: 53
Fishman Island: 51
Thriller Bark: 48
Punk Hazard: 46
Marineford: 31
Baratie: 27
Arlong Park: 27
Drum Island: 25
Impel Down: 25
Sabaody Archipelago: 24
Syrup Village: 20
Jaya: 19
Long Ring Long Land: 19
Post-War: 17
Little Garden: 15
Orange Town: 14
Post-Enies Lobby: 11
Amazon Lily: 11
Whiskey Peak: 9
Romance Dawn: 7
Loguetown: 5
Reverse Mountain: 5
Return to Sabaody: 5

Zou is currently at 8 chapters.

People talk about how everyone complained as well reading Skypiea and Enies Lobby weekly but look at this, dressrosa almost doubled them. And its a continuation of the 46 chapter long Punk Hazard.

BatDan

People talk about how everyone complained as well reading Skypiea and Enies Lobby weekly but look at this, dressrosa almost doubled them. And its a continuation of the 46 chapter long Punk Hazard.

They did complain.
People complained that Skypiea ran too long, and Enies Lobby suffered ending fatigue. Keep in mind this was when Oda didn't take mandated breaks for his health.

Dressrosa was an overlong arc that felt slower due to all the breaks. Read in one sitting, it's a lot better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dressrosa is just so far above the others it isn't even close.
Water 7 and Enies Lobby put together are longer, though. And those arcs are tied at the hip.

Sigh man after psx...i think i need a gaf break. Guys...dont change in here plz!! I even appreciate veelk like 100% more now. Live long one piece brethren may we all find the all blue

Sigh man after psx...i think i need a gaf break. Guys...dont change in here plz!! I even appreciate veelk like 100% more now. Live long one piece brethren may we all find the all blue
Take care dude.
Water 7 and Enies Lobby are part of the same arc. It's definitely the longest arc.
I like to combine them, but it feels different because of the location change. Dresrossa is technically part of Punk Hazard and Zou but I think arcs are restricted to one location whereas Sagas are thematic (the pirate alliance saga). You could add Aokiji's scene to the Water7 saga because it sets up the whole thing about Robin and ends with him too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The main thing differentiating Water 7 and Enies Lobby is that the villains introduced in W7 leave and go to Enies Lobby, and that arc is really just the Straw Hats chasing them down. It's not like Jaya -> Skypiea or the islands they went to before Arabasta, where it was part of the same overarching story but told its own vignettes. W7 and EL are telling the same story, both on a micro and macro level.

Lol you're on here too! Hey man, I just gave up on GAF gaming for a while, I'm just gonna start subscribing to threads. OP and SF GAF are consistently great.

One Piece Manga |OT| Consistently great

dfe8d824caf0558be0fb0ee28c6c507b.png

Nibel

Now that puts things into perspective. And that was "just" Don Flamingo - I wonder how he'll handle Kaidou and his captains.

Speaking of chapter counts, even though I love long arcs, I honestly wouldn't mind having like three or four East Blue-length arcs in one row. That pacing would be nice. It's harder to do because there are way more characters now than back then, but still I think it's very much plausible with slightly different story-telling. Could be interesting to have a complete change of pace for a while.

Kornflayx

The only reason Dressrosa ran for so long was because Oda had to introduce a shit ton of new characters that will be super important for the rest of the story

BatDan

I still think of Dressrosa as two arcs. Dressrosa Arena and Bird Cage. The location didn't change but a big reset button was pushed on the arc.

I kind of see as this too.
All the toys returning to normal and Kyros decapitating Doflamingo felt like an arc ending, in the same way as the train fights at the end of Water 7.

NSESN

I still think of Dressrosa as two arcs. Dressrosa Arena and Bird Cage. The location didn't change but a big reset button was pushed on the arc.

Same here, i think it's like the CP9 arc, but everything was in the same island ( well the Arena part was in Green Bit too but Luffy wasn't there ).

GG-Duo

Was just thinking about this today:

I'm pretty pessimistic about this new arc. Things are already getting chaotic.

I honestly think Oda has lost the magic. His storytelling isn't as good as the old days anymore. The pacing is all weird and everything is too chaotic. Dressrosa and the fishman islands were bad... Dude needs to chill and get a new editor.

On the other hand, I'm really liking the character designs in this arc so far. I had expected the cat to be thinner, and this design surprised me.

I honestly think Oda has lost the magic. His storytelling isn't as good as the old days anymore. The pacing is all weird and everything is too chaotic. Dressrosa and the fishman islands were bad... Dude needs to chill and get a new editor.

On the other hand, I'm really liking the character designs in this arc so far. I had expected the cat to be thinner, and this design surprised me.

I think the real sense of wonder is going to be recaptured towards the end of the series, but I sort of agree.

Other than that issue, I don't think Oda has lost much of anything. Zou (Zunisha) is insanely creative and the minks more so. What do you mean by chaotic?

I think the real sense of wonder is going to be recaptured towards the end of the series, but I sort of agree.

Other than that issue, I don't think Oda has lost much of anything. Zou (Zunisha) is insanely creative and the minks more so. What do you mean by chaotic?
yeah, I don't think he's lost anything, but it would be nice if main issues would come back into focus.

Some stuff can stay a mystery until the end like Luffy's Mom, or him finally meeting his father. But where Devil Fruits come from, or something close to an origin story, the void century, the weapons, Will of D versus the "Gods", and just wtf happened with each crew mate in there 2 years separated.

I hope this arc characters have serious battles and we just focus on Strawhats for a bit. Neither Luffy nor Zoro has had a Enies Lobby caliber fight yet. Luffy has these weird exhaustion limits on his power, but he basically has been beating people up since the time skip.

yeah, man, One Piece is my favorite manga besides Naruto (before timeskip) and Gundam. I also got into Hunter x Hunter, but the chimera arc got too weird and dark for me.
You see...i knew you were one of the good one's!! Sorry that insightful thread you made turned to shit as well tho. But aye nice nd quiet here one piece rulez

Sealed

Banned

I disagree. I thought Dressrosa was a great arc, and this Zou arc has the most promising start of any arc since the timeskip began.

I also think the pacing for this arc has been pretty good so far, with the exception of Oda teasing Sanji reveals and never delivering

yeah, man, One Piece is my favorite manga besides Naruto (before timeskip) and Gundam. I also got into Hunter x Hunter, but the chimera arc got too weird and dark for me.

The Chimera Ant arc is a Shonen treasure

TheFlow

Banned
I am loving this new arc, all the new characters being introduced are likable.

I think it is safe to assume the dukes are stronger than Jack.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if luffy will even defeat jack at all. perhaps he will end up being the one who reunites nekomamushi and inurashi and together they will defeat jack. an event that might reunite them is jack trying to kill zunisha.

Sealed

Banned
wonder if luffy will even defeat jack at all. perhaps he will end up being the one who reunites nekomamushi and inurashi and together they will defeat jack. an event that might reunite them is jack trying to kill zunisha.

jack is already gone

i doubt the dukes will leave zou

With Gear 4 Luffy is probably as strong as he was with Nightmare Luffy and that made Oars into a joke. Of course, Jack could use armament Haki. That might be troublesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Jack got fucked by the marines already, remember? He went to go rescue Mingo after his trip to Zou.

smurfx

get some go again
Jack got fucked by the marines already, remember? He went to go rescue Mingo after his trip to Zou.
it was a ship to ship fight though. fujitora probably launched a meteor at his ship and sunk him and his crew. that doesn't mean he is down for good. he could have been saved by someone on his crew and they were later picked up by someone on kaido's crew. what if another one of the 3 calamities picked him up and brings him to zou? would make things interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom