• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jojo will be the series that finally destroys Veelk
This. Veelk, if One Piece's flaws irritate you, JoJo will give you an aneurysm.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So you only go into Veelk mode if it is about OP?
Both are worse in every regard you are complaining about in OP.
I think the difference is that OP has so much potential in and focus on its world building only to frequently drop the ball to maintain its risk free, feel good environment.

A world entirely ok with its own goofiness or over the top nature is different than one that has a frequent compromising of its own storytelling and world building to maintain a certain atmosphere.

Ya'll gotta stop saying "no mi," that's some nakama level nonsense.

Anyway the Glint Glint fruit sounds fun to me. Lemme teleport around. Bird Bird model Falcon is pretty good too tho, anything that lets you fly is fun.
Believe it, dattebayo.

The Glint Glint fruit, if it followed real world laws of physics and shit, would be the most broken thing imaginable. Kizaru could one shot everyone on the planet ridiculously.
Keep in mind that I have also watched Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. And I loved them.

tumblr_nhqq6qMvk51s5u24po1_500.gif

Veelk

Banned
I disagree and i think veelk will strongly too, you are about to make him go veelk mode :p

And the wall of text is gonna be awesome

vf4vl.jpg

*Veelks out*

But nah, I said I'm done making Veelks for this thread for a while, and I am. Writing out an essay on why KLK is good as a response to why OP is not would be tantamount to just continuing what I've been doing.

I'll just say this regarding the apparent contradiction: If you're looking for reasons, I have plenty of them for why I enjoy KLK. It does some interesting things with sexuality, and it's clumsy earnestness is endearing in a way that OP never was, with a lot of actually really interesting character development, specially regarding Satsuki, and it's just flat out hugely entertaining the way GL was. I wrote out an essay at one point with how it depicts sexuality regarding both the fanservice and how Ragyo molests her daughter. It's actually doing something interesting with the concept, as opposed to OP with how it's just....there. And as Sol said, there's also the fact that it's telling a different kind of story than OP with more sophisticated worldbuilding that it compromises in it's narrative telling.

But if you want to call me a hypocrite for liking KLK and not OP....eh, you're probably not entirely wrong. I don't have a set mathematical formula that dictates whether I like a show or not. There are too many variables that go into viewing a show, including who I am at the time of viewing. I can't even tell you what comes first, whether I like a show and then try to figure it out, or whether I first analyze it and then discover afterwards what I really think of it. Sometimes my feelings change in the process of analysis, sometimes they remain grudgingly the same. I can hate one show for doing one thing, then turn around and like a show that does the same thing. We can debate whether that aspect has the same effect on both shows, or maybe if it's appropriate to one but not the other, or whether there are simply other factors that make it less auspicious, but at the end of the day, we love what we love. I don't pretend it's entirely rational.

DON'T LOSE YOUR VEEEEEELK

vf4vl.jpg

*Veelks out*

But nah, I said I'm done making Veelks for this thread for a while, and I am. Writing out an essay on why KLK is good as a response to why OP is not would be tantamount to just continuing what I've been doing.

I'll just say this regarding the apparent contradiction: I have plenty of reasons for why I enjoy KLK. It does some interesting things with sexuality, and it's clumsy earnestness is endearing in a way that OP never was, with a lot of actually really interesting character development, specially regarding Satsuki, and it's just flat out hugely entertaining the way GL was. I wrote out an essay at one point with how it depicts sexuality regarding both the fanservice and how Ragyo molests her daughter. It's actually doing something interesting with the concept, as opposed to OP with how it's just....there. And as Sol said, there's also the fact that it's telling a different kind of story than OP with more sophisticated worldbuilding that it compromises in it's narrative telling.

But if you want to call me a hypocrite for liking KLK and not OP....eh, you're probably not entirely wrong. I don't have a set mathematical formula that dictates whether I like a show or not. There are too many variables that go into viewing a show, including who I am at the time of viewing. I can't even tell you what comes first, whether I like a show and then try to figure it out, or whether I first analyze it and then discover afterwards what I really think of it. Sometimes my feelings change in the process of analysis, sometimes they remain grudgingly the same. I can hate one show for doing one thing, then turn around and like a show that does the same thing. We can debate whether that aspect has the same effect on both shows, or maybe if it's appropriate to one but not the other, or whether there are simply other factors that make it less auspicious, but at the end of the day, we love what we love. I don't pretend it's entirely rational.

I fucking love this thread, hahahahahaha

Veelk, have you ever considered either making a blog or compiling your posts somehow? I think it would be pretty interesting to have some kind of journal or collection of your take on various fictional media.

I think your posts are best when they are simply your own voice, rather than posts in response to others (if that makes any sense).

IHaveIce

Banned
For the record I also like KLK or GL, just thought the over-the-top fanservice would be annoying to you.

But I laughed because of the Hulk pic, super awesome :D

Veelk

Banned
I fucking love this thread, hahahahahaha

Veelk, have you ever considered either making a blog or compiling your posts somehow? I think it would be pretty interesting to have some kind of journal or collection of your take on various fictional media.

I think your posts are best when they are simply your own voice, rather than posts in response to others (if that makes any sense).

I have, and even registered an account on Wordpress, but haven't gone through with it yet. Idk, like I said way back when, I like the level format of forums that don't need me to be the center of discussion. I might though, since I seem to gather a small fanbase whenever I stay long enough in one OT or another.

For the record I also like KLK or GL, just thought the over-the-top fanservice would be annoying to you.

But I laughed because of the Hulk pic, super awesome :D

The difference is that both those shows make greater use of it than just sexual objectification.

I'm not against tittilation, just when it is used to do nothing but objectify the sexual person. With KLK, shame and sexuality are used in different parts as a source of strength, as a source of weakness, as a basis for emotional connection, of a representation of self empowerment, of comradery, of affection, for pure humor (as in, without the sexual context).....I mean, yes, the male gaze is strong as hell with KLK, and you could pick out several scenes that do sexually objectify the female characters, fine. But taken as a whole, it treats sexuality as a complex subject that you have to grapple with as you grow up. Gurren Lagann is far more in line with how OP uses it most of the time, and I wish Yoko was a greater and more equal agent within the story. But even here I can find small uses of sexuality. For example, the whole episode with them at the springs is a build up to helping Kamina and Yoko admit they like each other. It's fanservice, yes, but it's also used as a device to progress the characters relationship to the point where htey admit they like each other. It isn't much, I know, but it's something.

I've posed this question whenever I bought up fanservice in my post: What does the fanservice of OP accomplish beyond pure titlation? What does it imply about Nami that she is willfully wearing skimpy outfits and stuff? Nothing, atleast insofar as I can tell and nothing that anyone has ever brought to my attention. There's not even any element of romance. It's so damn unnatural how she's going around dressed the way she is and none of the crew try to get anywhere with her. Not even Sanji. He panders to her, he apparently spies on her, but he never actually up and asks her if she wants to get a quickly in before the next island or anything. Nami's body exists as an object to be oogled by men and the most agency she gets in this is the fact that she doesn't particularly mind it happening, even though good looking women are similarly oogled regardless of how they feel about it.

Again, I'm not going to get into this stuff anymore, but one piece fails because it fails both to treat women as complete agents of the world and then fails to explore what the consequences of placing women in such positions of disempowerment brings. Skimpy outfits themselves aren't a mark of disempowerment, but society has made them out to be. If Oda had depicted scantily clad women who are also agents of the world he is in while also providing a substantial reason for why they're dressed the way they're dressed or atleast leveled the playing field so that men wear the same kind of outfits, I would have NO problem with it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can't wait to see Jack's true form tomo- oh...

According to Oda's author comment in the latest Jump, he said he's very busy with different projects.
I imagine one of them is Film Gold.

RomanceDawn

No, to everything. What is it about Youtube theorists that are always sooooooo bad.

The numbers theory... Someone mentioned that in an SBS and Oda was like "???" It's a nice coincidence that each of the fruits come up with those numbers if you break down their Japanese names but it really is a happy coincidence so far. And that's probably the best part of the theory. If you dig deep enough you can find a ton of little coincidences just like that.

The jump he made with fire wood and the book to Ohara was laughable. Kuma is not dying to give Franky or Jinbe a Devil Fruit. Jinbe's biggest asset to the entire crew is as an amazing life guard. That's worse than the theories that Sanji will eat the flame flame fruit because his time skip training wasn't enough. Franky already expressed how he doesn't want to eat a fruit even one as powerful as the flame flame fruit as he likes to swim.

The whole thing is a bunch of bologna.

You can't forget that Oda is an artist not a technician. He's not following a technical manual on how to write One Piece week by week. He takes inspiration from a lot of areas from architecture to the occult to zoology but what he does with that is loosely interpreted and even long term plans for characters and plot could change if he wanted.

RomanceDawn

I love when people calculate formulas.

East Blue:
Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji

Paradise:
Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook

Therefor in the New World
Jinbe, girl, boy, boy

Like just stop.

Hmm, I thought it was intriguing but I do agree he has zero evidence. The SBS bit was pretty interesting too, the more interesting of anything he talks about, but that's if you believe Oda is into patterns like that.

Kuma beinf Robin's father is pretty out there, though.

Keep in mind that I have also watched Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. And I loved them.

Gurren Lagann, now that is a series that wore its shallowness with pride. In the end, I found that to be its greatest weakness as well. The 'emotional' scenes lacked any kind of impact, and its abreviated story telling provided very little credible character development. Refreshing and pretty forgetable to me.

Magwik

Banned
Man I really was used to reading one piece during Thursday lunch
Keep forgetting that things are going to be later than usual

I love when people calculate formulas.

East Blue:
Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji

Paradise:
Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook

Therefor in the New World
Jinbe, girl, boy, boy

Like just stop.

How about Luffy rang the bell 16 times at Marineford when he went back. The first 8 are for the first crew members and the next 8 are foreshadowing 8 new crew members, LOL there is legit no basis for this. Oda has does use math & has even foreshadowed things with math but it is very little compared to how people make it out to be.

Leave Rogersbase alone! :(

To be fair he is one of the few youtube theorist I can watch his video's for a few minutes before shutting it off, the others I can only stand may be 30 seconds at the most yes I know Rogersbase vids are like 10 or 15 min and I said only a few minutes

Volume 80
CV7qLnYWsAEQ1sk.jpg:large

80 volumes...wow.

Kinda disappointing that the focus wasn't on the Armada/Alliance :/ Seems really random with Bakin and Weevile just randomly thrown in along with Buggy. But damn, Fujimom looking real proud.

smurfx

get some go again
i think the whole reason kuma forgot everything was his own doing. if kuma can use his fruit to bounce pain away then maybe he can do the same for his memories. maybe he gave his memories to dragon so the world government never finds out his connections to the revolutionaries. the end game for the pacifistas will likely be kuma controlling all others and working together as one. at that point dragon will return his memories and dragon will gain control of the pacifista army.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Buggy is:

A former crewmate of the King of Pirates.
Best friends with Emperor Shanks
A drinking buddy of the target of the Whitebeard War, Fire Fist Ace.
A man who broke out of the most secure facility in the world and into the second most secure facility in the world in a single 24 hour period.
Leader of the Seven Warlords of the Sea.

He is one of the most famous pirates alive.

SolVanderlyn

Buggy is:

A former crewmate of the King of Pirates.
Best friends with Emperor Shanks
A drinking buddy of the target of the Whitebeard War, Fire Fist Ace.
A man who broke out of the most secure facility in the world and into the second most secure facility in the world in a single 24 hour period.
Leader of the Seven Warlords of the Sea.

He is one of the most famous pirates alive.
Also Oda's favorite villain, and voiced by none other than Raditz from Dragon Ball Z.

SolVanderlyn

Biggest mystery of One Piece:

Where does Garp keep that damn ball and chain?
Where does he get all of his crackers from?

What happened to his dog hat?

i think the whole reason kuma forgot everything was his own doing. if kuma can use his fruit to bounce pain away then maybe he can do the same for his memories. maybe he gave his memories to dragon so the world government never finds out his connections to the revolutionaries. the end game for the pacifistas will likely be kuma controlling all others and working together as one. at that point dragon will return his memories and dragon will gain control of the pacifista army.
At the Reverie. Just watch.

Kuma's fruit should be the most broken of them all (except for Kizaru). He can literally repel all damage he takes in battle.

He can only repel it with his hands/paws though, right? I can imagine a lot of unavoidable attacks, and besides, he wouldn't be able to keep up if someone is faster than him, no?

Kornflayx

He can only repel it with his hands/paws though, right? I can imagine a lot of unavoidable attacks, and besides, he wouldn't be able to keep up if someone is faster than him, no?

I meant he can repel the damage from his own body (like he did with Luffy). Sure, if somebody is so fast that he can't keep up (which is also unlikely, since he can propel himself forward with his power) then he's in trouble. But otherwise he can just teleport someplace safe and repel the damge he has taken.

I meant he can repel the damage from his own body. Sure, if somebody is so fast that he can't keep up (which is also unlikely, since he can propel himself forward with his power) then he's in trouble. But otherwise he can just teleport someplace safe and repel the damge he has taken.

Oh, that's true. Yeah, you'd have to one-hit KO him or attack him in a very rapid succession to defeat him then. Although you never know when devil fruits go up against each other. Doflamingo might be able to prevent Kuma from using his abilities, if Doffy was strong enough. Kizaru can attack at the speed of light, so he might be able to keep up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom