• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people take the playing cards theme as a sign that Oda is dropping references to Alice in Wonderland. You can see how some of his characters in Dressrosa might be inspired by that and it's not even subtle how Master Nekomamushi is inspired by the Cheshire Cat.

I'm going to come out and take a stab and say Jack is either Weevil's brother or father. I'm wondering if Weevil's mom could possibly Queen with Kaido King & Jack well you know Jack.

Inb4 Jack is Luffy's mom, or Luffy's dad. Or Luffy is Jack's dad or any of those weird combinations lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Interesting theory I spotted.

What if Kaido and the Three Calamities are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Kaido is death, in that he can't die
X Drake (assuming he's one of the three) is War, being a former Marine turned pirate.
Jack is Famine, as "Drought" can also be another type of famine.
And I guess the third unknown Calamity will be Conquest.

Just food for thought.

I'm going to come out and take a stab and say Jack is either Weevil's brother or father. I'm wondering if Weevil's mom could possibly Queen with Kaido King & Jack well you know Jack.

Inb4 Jack is Luffy's mom, or Luffy's dad. Or Luffy is Jack's dad or any of those weird combinations lol
Weird? Please.
Anything is possible, we just need more evidence. Imo I don't think Jackmomma is going hold any wait against crocomom or fujimom.

Obvious link from the spoiler...
so Avalo Pizarro was once in Kaido's crew or an ally? He has the same fake horns that Jack has.

Squishy3

Weird? Please.
Anything is possible, we just need more evidence. Imo I don't think Jackmomma is going hold any wait against crocomom or fujimom.

Obvious link from the spoiler...
so Avalo Pizarro was once in Kaido's crew or an ally? He has the same fake horns that Jack has.
It'd make sense a captured member of Kaido's crew would be a Level 5 prisoner. So I can see it.

It'd make sense a captured member of Kaido's crew would be a Level 5 prisoner. So I can see it.

Level 6 :p
But yeah, if it's true I wonder what he did/how high up he was. His epithet is "the corrupt king" so maybe he terrorized a kingdom or something? Obviously he has no loyalty to Kaido anymore.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Interesting theory I spotted.

What if Kaido and the Three Calamities are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Kaido is death, in that he can't die
X Drake (assuming he's one of the three) is War, being a former Marine turned pirate.
Jack is Famine, as "Drought" can also be another type of famine.
And I guess the third unknown Calamity will be Conquest.

Just food for thought.

Interesting though I doubt Oda would invoke the Four Horsemen when he already seems to be invoking the Buddhism Calamities instead. Similar concepts but bringing up the 3 Calamities sorta gives away which theology he is going with.

BatDan

Interesting though I doubt Oda would invoke the Four Horsemen when he already seems to be invoking the Buddhism Calamities instead. Similar concepts but bringing up the 3 Calamities sorta gives away which theology he is going with.

That's also likely (looking up the Buddhism Calamities)
Best bet is to wait and see who the other two are

Chapter is out!

"Crucify and Chill"

same-fathers.gif

smurfx

get some go again
wonder why the two dukes are so important to the world. wonder if the minks also have some connection to joy boy. lets say luffy defeats jack then what happens to jack? will one of the dukes kill him? we know luffy isn't going to do it. there might not be any marines to come and clean up after luffy this time. jack is worth one billion so maybe one of the minks takes him to the marines and collects his bounty.

BatDan

God damn, Jack is brutal. Going to be one hell of a fight when he shows up again (he's totally not dead).
Sounds like his DF is the "Elephant Elephant Fruit: Ancient Model"
I can see why Luffy is considered a savior too despite not being at Zou. His actions on Dressrosa lead to Jack leaving to try and "save" Doflamingo. This was then followed by the Curly Hats arriving and saving the wounded. I can see all this building up to a major arc with the Minks helping the Straw Hats as a massive army.

"Crucify and Chill" God damn it MSteam... there's a reason /a/ has an obscene name for them (though that mostly comes from their liberal Bleach translations)

God damn, Jack is brutal. Going to be one hell of a fight when he shows up again (he's totally not dead).
Sounds like his DF is the "Elephant Elephant Fruit: Ancient Model"
I can see why Luffy is considered a savior too despite not being at Zou. His actions on Dressrosa lead to Jack leaving to try and "save" Doflamingo. This was then followed by the Curly Hats arriving and saving the wounded. I can see all this building up to a major arc with the Minks helping the Straw Hats as a massive army.

"Crucify and Chill" God damn it MSteam... there's a reason /a/ has an obscene name for them (though that mostly comes from their liberal Bleach translations)
It's elephant elephant fruit: model mammoth

Ancient just refers to it being an ancient type zoan

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Chapter is out!

"Crucify and Chill"

same-fathers.gif

Ha, ha ha, haaaaaaaaaa

Actually I've decided I'm okay with these shenanigans, they put up a new interstitial page before their releases encouraging people to read the official releases, noting them as more literal translations vs their own "stylistically liberal" releases. Go ahead and make the fan-translations ridiculous as long as they get the point across, gives me more reason to keep buying the volumes.

Anyway, JESUS Inuarashi's leg, Nekomamushi's leg AND arm. And just slaughtering poisoned minks as they lie writhing on the ground. This might be the darkest shit Oda's pulled to date.

Sealed

Banned
my thoughts as reading the chapter:

oh shit, jack's design is cool af, so is his sword
Bepo da gawd
so I guess Jack is stronger than the people on Zou, but the Zou warriors are better than his crew
I dunno if Luffy would be able to beat him
damn jack and co are ruthless
i knew Jack had left before Sanji got there
crucify and chill...you cheeky translator

so hopefully we'll finally find out what happened to Sanji next chapter. I also wonder what happened to Caesar since he didn't go with Jack.

Maybe Sanji took Caesar to get revenge on Jack or something?

I'm also curious to why the Dukes are so important, aside from obvious reasons.

Nibel

Jack is fucking evil. That character has zero humor, neither in his dialogue nor in his expressions. Murdering bleeding troops, crucifications and removing limbs - didn't expect this level of violence in one chapter.

NSESN

Jack is fucking evil. That character has zero humor, neither in his dialogue nor in his expressions. Murdering bleeding troops, crucifications and removing limbs - didn't expect this level of violence in one chapter.

The worst thing is that all over a thing the Minks know nothing about.
I wonder where Raidou is.

Sealed

Banned

this is a good thing imo (from a character standpoint)

we've been hearing about him as being a monster and he certainly lived up to it

as we progress with fighting our way up to the Yonkou, I would expect the bad guys to be much, much more ruthless

Nibel

The worst thing is that all over a thing the Minks know nothing about.
I wonder where Raidou is.

Yeah - that dude must have done something really dumb. Makes sense why Brook tells Luffy to shut the fuck up about 'the ninja'

this is a good thing imo (from a character standpoint)

we've been hearing about him as being a monster and he certainly lived up to it

as we progress with fighting our way up to the Yonkou, I would expect the bad guys to be much, much more ruthless

Oh I agree. I appreciate badasses being badasses.

I really have no idea where the ceiling is supposed to be; this is just ONE of Kaidou's generals. Is he the strongest? The weakes? In the middle? And how much stronger is Kaidou compared to them?

Flamingo was already fucking tough. This is going to be interesting

if he's anywhere then he might be inside the elephant looking for something.

That's a possibility I haven't even considered before; nice catch.

I actually think this is a first for the series, isn't it?

I can't remember any of the villains we've seen so far being straight up vicious like this (maiming people). Doflamingo was sinister, but not brutal. Ceasar was an idiot. Hody comes kind of similar in ideology but we never saw him force the merfolk into a torture situation like this (I'm sure he would have). Impel Down was kind of humorous and had a different tone because the people they were torturing weren't innocent, and they didn't do it for no reason like Jack did. Moria was an idiot. CP-9 were logical and precise. Enel just blew fools up, but was also logical in his methods. Crocodile was essentially the same too.

I could keep going, but yeah I can't think of anyone else.

Sealed

Banned
Oh I agree. I appreciate badasses being badasses.

I really have no idea where the ceiling is supposed to be; this is just ONE of Kaidou's generals. Is he the strongest? The weakes? In the middle? And how much stronger is Kaidou compared to them?

Flamingo was already fucking tough. This is going to be interesting

From what I understand, all 3 of Kaidou's commanders are known as Calamities, so I assume they're at least similar in strength. As for who's the strongest, well, who knows.

Really puts Kaidou and the other Yonko's strength into perspective though. They must be INSANELY powerful. Hard to imagine that Blackbeard is that strong, but I guess he does have two of the strongest devil fruits out there.

I don't think Luffy is on Jack's level yet, but I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see Luffy kick his ass.

I'm also wondering where the Dukes fall into the hierarchy of strength. If they're equally matched with Jack, I guess they couldn't take out a Yonko on their own. Together, though, who knows.

Bandini

Is Jack really that strong though? Let's face some facts here, the dude had to resort to chemical warfare to beat a cat and a dog. His bounty is likely so large because of his brutality and the fact that he's one of the right hands of a Yonkou. Remember Kid's bounty was larger than Luffy's simply because lots of innocent people got caught in his path.

Sealed

Banned
Is Jack really that strong though? Let's face some facts here, the dude had to resort to chemical warfare to beat a cat and a dog. His bounty is likely so large because of his brutality and the fact that he's one of the right hands of a Yonkou. Remember Kid's bounty was larger than Luffy's simply because lots of innocent people got caught in his path.

whilst this is true, that cat and dog are also supposedly really strong

I have to assume Jack is at least on Doflamingo's level, and it seems very likely he's higher than that, but the extent of his strength is unknown.

I can't remember any of the villains we've seen so far being straight up vicious like this (maiming people). Doflamingo was sinister, but not brutal. Ceasar was an idiot. Hody comes kind of similar in ideology but we never saw him force the merfolk into a torture situation like this (I'm sure he would have). Impel Down was kind of humorous and had a different tone because the people they were torturing weren't innocent, and they didn't do it for no reason like Jack did. Moria was an idiot. CP-9 were logical and precise. Enel just blew fools up, but was also logical in his methods. Crocodile was essentially the same too.

Arlong killed innocent people because he just thought of humans as disposable resources.

Just read the chapter and damn that got brutal.

Feels like something else is going on. I refuse to believe that Jack actually thought he was being lied to.

Wow, who was that guy with the curly eyebrow who were with the straw hats? I don't remember him.
This joke will never get old to me, lol.

So I'm guessing Caesar disposed of the gas and went away on a task with Sanji? They are the two that are missing, right?

Bandini

Just read the chapter and damn that got brutal.

Feels like something else is going on. I refuse to believe that Jack actually thought he was being lied to.

Maybe he's just really, really thorough.

Anyway I'm not believing the obituary, I think he'll be back and possibly be the big bad of this aec.

Nibel

I guess this is why I was so surprised by this; the New World ain't nothing to fuck with.

I'm also wondering where the Dukes fall into the hierarchy of strength. If they're equally matched with Jack, I guess they couldn't take out a Yonko on their own. Together, though, who knows.

I mean: yes, he did use that gas on the Minks. But that cat was able to grab and flip him over out of nowhere and the dog was able to block one of his attacks; these two are apparently very strong as well, and Jack didn't use that gas right away but kept fighting for days nonstop; and even a blurb in the chapter says that "calling him a monster doesn't do him justice". I imagine if only one duke was there Jack could have won without the gas - and the same might apply to the Sengoku/Isho situation.

I still agree with Bandini though that his high bounty probably has to do with his cruelty. Dude does some fucked up shit.

Arlong killed innocent people because he just thought of humans as disposable resources.
I would say Hody is more comparable simply because Arlong actually had personal experience behind his actions.

I mean, we don't know if Jack does or not yet but it seems like he's just brutal for brutality's sake than for any real reason. The fucking guy fought for 5 days straight without even stopping to search for Raizo, meaning he tortured and killed for no real reason besides his own interest.

One Piece villains have attacked innocent people, but I mean Jack does it to the extent that there's no purpose behind it.

Maybe he's just really, really thorough.

Anyway I'm not believing the obituary, I think he'll be back and possibly be the big bad of this aec.

That's a given. There no way you kill a villain like this before even properly introducing them.

Wow, who was that guy with the curly eyebrow who were with the straw hats? I don't remember him.
This joke will never get old to me, lol.

So I'm guessing Caesar disposed of the gas and went away on a task with Sanji? They are the two that are missing, right?
I thought he would have chased Jack away or allowed himself to be captured by Jack. That missing detail is the most interesting story point right now so I hope we get to it very soon.

Red Fire

I can't remember any of the villains we've seen so far being straight up vicious like this (maiming people). Doflamingo was sinister, but not brutal.

Apparently taking control over the bodies of innocents and letting them slaughter each other in brutal ways - even women and children - is not brutal.

GG-Duo

I like how this arc is going. With Jack being dead (supposedly), it's a nice twist on the omniscient big bad.

Also with Zou being in the aftermath of a battle, there's so much references to Skypiea.

Apparently taking control over the bodies of innocents and letting them slaughter each other in brutal ways - even women and children - is not brutal.
You're missing the point. Doflamingo had an agenda. It's not like he went to all that trouble for no reason. Poor wording on my part, but I'm not saying he wasn't brutal at all, but more sinister in that his evil had a purpose to it.

Here we have Jack who fucking tortures and lobs off the leg and arm of a country's leaders for no reason other than loving to destroy shit. It's intimidating and nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom