• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also was it ever explained why doffy wanted momo?

Momo, Caesar and the Smile Factory were the 3 cards that were important to Doflamingo. The smile factory is gone, Caesar is with Sanji on route to Big Mom, and Momo may hold the key to perfecting Vegapunk's failed artificial devil fruit. At least that's my theory.

Momo, Caesar and the Smile Factory were the 3 cards that were important to Doflamingo. The smile factory is gone, Caesar is with Sanji on route to Big Mom, and Momo may hold the key to perfecting Vegapunk's failed artificial devil fruit. At least that's my theory.
I like that a lot. The gifters or whatever faction of Kaidos crew that use Smile fruits seem only able to transform certain parts of their body whereas Momo can fully turn into a dragon. The fruit he ate was on a pedastal iirc so I think you're likely right.

Anteater

that's an awesome direction it's going, not to mention the plot can actually progress faster without conflict, we'll learn more about Raizou and the samurais, and probably some history as well, or they group up and go for Sanji/do whatever they have planned next.

arc is really good so far

Majukun

if that fruit was so important,it wouldn't have been left rotting in an abandoned room in the lab
whatever is important about momonosuke,was in place BEFORE he even left wano with the 3 samurais..that would also explain why a child is traveling with 3 warriors in a dangerous journey..it might also just be kinemon wanting to flee with his son though..we need more info about the status in Wano before we can make assumptions on why momonosuke is even there

you have also to count that the guys at punk hazard were in no hurry to find who took the fruit from the lab,even when the girl told them that a child ate it...if that was important,you would think they would be still searching for him.

let alone the fact that caear himself (and vegapunk apparently since he left it behind),deemed momonosuke's fruit "defective"

Kreed

One Piece 816:

It's been a long time since I've been legitimately surprised by a chapter of One Piece. Many of us speculated that the Minks wouldn't be angry at the Samurai at all and I myself was hoping for such to keep the story moving but this was a great twist (I won't nit pick as to why they didn't tell Luffy and the others as this obviously made the twist better for us the readers). And it's definitely a welcome twist since this now means there is no longer any conflicts on Zou and once the Samurais have their reunion, the story can move forward to all the different events Oda has hyped up. Unfortunately this also clears the way for Luffy to have his solo adventure with no hurdles. As I mentioned last week I'm not too thrilled to see Luffy by himself again so soon after the Straw Hats reunited, but hopefully this will be a short adventure.

Boo @ the hiatus.

daveo42

Banned
Was 100% not expecting that twist at the end. Legit shook all around for fans and the crew. Minks are good people guys. Good people.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Raizou better be badass as hell to make up for what happened

StarVigil

He does it again and again

zlcDds1.png
GODA-MN

My running theory is that the 'dragon fruit' is the key to killing/beating Kaido. It's going to take a dragon to kill him for some reason and they had that Smile kept away in it's own room to keep it safe for when they need to use it.

TheFlow

Banned
My running theory is that the 'dragon fruit' is the key to killing/beating Kaido. It's going to take a dragon to kill him for some reason and they had that Smile kept away in it's own room to keep it safe for when they need to use it.

You know what, I want Don flam to address the dragon fruit now

nvm didn't read the post after this

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think Kaido has the dragon fruit and they managed to clone it somehow, only much shittier, in the hopes of using it to counter him or something like that.

i'm pretty sure momo's importance has nothing to do with his fruit, given that he got it on punk hazard and was traumatized by do flamingo before that. Plus Jola didn't realize his dragon form was momo, and I doubt Doflamingo would keep that a secret from his officers

GhostBed

i'm pretty sure momo's importance has nothing to do with his fruit, given that he got it on punk hazard and was traumatized by do flamingo before that. Plus Jola didn't realize his dragon form was momo, and I doubt Doflamingo would keep that a secret from his officers

Exactly. I place my money on Momo being an important political figure in Wano/the next Shogun or something. If Kaido is occupying Wano, it would explain why Momo and the warrior trio are on the run. Kaido probably seeks to kill Momo to advance his own political power.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm guessing that momo is in line to take over as shogun and that some other political figure of wano wants to get rid of him so he is aligned with jack for this reason. jack likely wants wano's military to help him in the war he is planning. wano likely has a very powerful military since it's been able to resist the world government's intervention for hundreds of years.

Anteater

I really hope Raizo isn't a dumbass like the other 2 dudes

It'd be nice if she/he's the complete opposite of them.

I can't take another "OMG Nami is wearing no clothes and I love it" joke all the way to Wano

smurfx

get some go again
I really hope Raizo isn't a dumbass like the other 2 dudes

It'd be nice if she/he's the complete opposite of them.

I can't take another "OMG Nami is wearing no clothes and I love it" joke all the way to Wano
since he's a ninja he might have been on a reconnaissance mission and decided to meet up at zou with the other samurais to tell them what he found out. hopefully we would finally found out how kaidou ties into wano. also at that point the strawhats might know where they are going next. perhaps they follow law to the next destination while luffy goes to crash big mom's tea party.

What if Raizo was the person Crocus was exchanging sake cups with during Decks of the World 1, aka a former member of Roger's Crew? That guy had a straw hat from Wano.

I guess it wouldn't make sense if he was, since hypothetically he would be pretty strong and could probably have taken on Jack.

RomanceDawn

What if Raizo was the person Crocus was exchanging sake cups with during Decks of the World 1, aka a former member of Roger's Crew? That guy had a straw hat from Wano.

I guess it wouldn't make sense if he was, since hypothetically he would be pretty strong and could probably have taken on Jack.

It would be cool if there were some connection but that guy was visiting Crocus while Jack was destroying Zou looking for him. The hat might be a sign that he's related to Wano but him being Raizou would put a lot of things into question.

It would be cool if there were some connection but that guy was visiting Crocus while Jack was destroying Zou looking for him. The hat might be a sign that he's related to Wano but him being Raizou would put a lot of things into question.

True say, forgot about the timeline.
Wonder about that person though, I think they've gotta show them for Wano for sure.

RomanceDawn

Because of Crocus I'm thinking that that guy is the Bronze to Gold Roger and Silvers Rayleigh, Scopper Gaban. Scopper like copper you know? It's the hair behind that wano style hat that gives me the idea.

We see him way back in the first few volumes during Buggy's flashback and the Strong World cannon flash back when Shiki is attacking Roger. I think Volume 0.

Since more than 9/10 characters in One Piece are dumbasses I totally expect Raizo to be a dumbass.

And Franky should totally make some prosthetic limbs for those Minks. They deserve it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Because of Crocus I'm thinking that that guy is the Bronze to Gold Roger and Silvers Rayleigh, Scopper Gaban. Scopper like copper you know? It's the hair behind that wano style hat that gives me the idea.

We see him way back in the first few volumes during Buggy's flashback and the Strong World cannon flash back when Shiki is attacking Roger. I think Volume 0.
I have no idea what in the world you're talking about o.o

RomanceDawn

I have no idea what in the world you're talking about o.o

Yeah so that picture with Crocus that Cloud just posted. See his hair, then an unnamed character with a big bush of hair that hangs behind his head has appeared in the story twice. Both times in Rogers crew. Later in a data book we find out his name is Scopper Gaban. Scopper -> copper -> bronze. Gold Roger, Silvers Rayleigh, SCopper Gaban. If I'm wrong 35 years from now once we get the full scoop, I'll bite my own butt.

Now I know the wise guys out there are thinking, "but his name isn't really copper" and to that I say Gol D Roger.

Some people have been speculating on what Germa 66 could be a reference to and it got me speculating.

The format of the name sounds like a homage to the long running manga Golgo 13. This is a manga about an assassin with that code name so it's not just the name is a similar format but it's the same sort of theme.

The meaning of the name Golgo 13 is said to be a reference to the place Golgotha where Jesus died and the number 13 which is supposed to represent Judas. From this it seems very reasonable to guess that Germa is a reference to Germany and the 66 is could also mean something.

Apparently 66 is a popular card game in Germany and cards have been a big theme in One Piece. Ask anyone in England what Germany 66 refers to and they would think you are talking about the world cup final that was won by the England team. And hey, Bobby Moore had blonde hair like Sanji.

But the only other clue we have is that the leader is known as a warmonger and Nami knows them as a mythical evil army. What I'm thinking is that the 66 could be a stand in for SS and the inspiration for the Germa 66 is the German Waffen-SS.

If I'm wrong 35 years from now once we get the full scoop, I'll bite my own butt.
Oh you bet your ass I'm saving this post ;) But I like it, and agree with you. Scopper was seen with an axe though, which doesn't strike me as Wano-ish. Of course that was near the beginning of the series, so Oda can probably work with it.
Some people have been speculating on what Germa 66 could be a reference to and it got me speculating.

The format of the name sounds like a homage to the long running manga Golgo 13. This is a manga about an assassin with that code name so it's not just the name is a similar format but it's the same sort of theme.

The meaning of the name Golgo 13 is said to be a reference to the place Golgotha where Jesus died and the number 13 which is supposed to represent Judas. From this it seems very reasonable to guess that Germa is a reference to Germany and the 66 is could also mean something.

Apparently 66 is a popular card game in Germany and cards have been a big theme in One Piece. Ask anyone in England what Germany 66 refers to and they would think you are talking about the world cup final that was won by the England team. And hey, Bobby Moore had blonde hair like Sanji.

But the only other clue we have is that the leader is known as a warmonger and Nami knows them as a mythical evil army. What I'm thinking is that the 66 could be a stand in for SS and the inspiration for the Germa 66 is the German Waffen-SS.
The only thing that counters that is that Sanji's real life nationality is French, suggesting that the Vinsmokes are also French.

I think an SS parallel would be really interesting though.

Oh you bet your ass I'm saving this post ;) But I like it, and agree with you. Scopper was seen with an axe though, which doesn't strike me as Wano-ish. Of course that was near the beginning of the series, so Oda can probably work with it.

The only thing that counters that is that Sanji's real life nationality is French, suggesting that the Vinsmokes are also French.

I think an SS parallel would be really interesting though.
I'm pretty sure Oda arbitrarily picked those nationalities based on National stereotypes, so I wouldn't read deeply into that

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yeah so that picture with Crocus that Cloud just posted. See his hair, then an unnamed character with a big bush of hair that hangs behind his head has appeared in the story twice. Both times in Rogers crew. Later in a data book we find out his name is Scopper Gaban. Scopper -> copper -> bronze. Gold Roger, Silvers Rayleigh, SCopper Gaban. If I'm wrong 35 years from now once we get the full scoop, I'll bite my own butt.

Now I know the wise guys out there are thinking, "but his name isn't really copper" and to that I say Gol D Roger.

:eek:

Yeah I've been waiting for Scopper cause I think it was mentioned in one piece green an important member of Rogers crew was coming. I was thinking Shanks at the beginning of Luffy's journey. Give him the straw hat. Rayleigh in the middle of Luffy's journey, sees straw hat. Then Scopper towards the end. Was always thinking either in Wano, but may be before the island before Raftel. Someone has to lead Luffy to Raftel so was thinking Scopper sees the straw hat & helps them.

I mean it's not completely arbitrary, but it's not really relevant either
Sanji is the cook. France is considered the center of haute cuisine. Hence Sanji uses french attack names, and his nationality was "french"
It could be relevant now, which is the point I think. Otherwise I'd agree with you, we could have gone the entire series without his backstory every being fully explored. Up until the point where we learned about his family name (Vin meaning French for wine) I always thought the French stuff was arbitrary.

I definitely think Oda has a purpose for it, but that's clearly debatable.

The biggest influence on Sanji was Zeff not his family. And strictly speaking vin is from the latin since french is a romance language and wine is from the german since english is a germanic language. Also smoke is a germanic word.

No one is saying who was a greater influence, clearly Zeff was.

On the etymology, I really don't think you have to go that deep. According to wikitionary, vin in Latin is a contraction of Vis (to wish) whereas vin flatout means Wine in french.

If we're going to pick apart English then you could do that for every single word in this series, I think it's pretty clear what Oda is going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom