• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Once again making all fishmen not named jimbei look like losers.
Huh?

The minks live in relative isolation, and have for centuries. Those which venture out into the world, like Bepo and Pekoms, don't seem to have it rough. Fishmen have been discriminated against for centuries by humans.

.. I did not see that coming. I think it's actually more interesting to me if there is beef between the minks and Samurai but this works too.

Out of sheer coincidence, I decide to check the usual site and holy shit, an early chapter this week!

And that twist! This was my reaction in a nutshell.

qAwUB0m.gif

Lunar15

So since the tension between mink and samurai has been deflated, why is Momo feeling uneasy?

Either his fruit or the same convienent plot sickness Oda gave to the minks to keep them from telling the strawhats Raizo was on Zou.

He just likes setting up specific moments and will often create some "coincidences" so that the scene works exactly like he wants.

Firestorm

I'm more relieved that they won't do the tragic misunderstanding trope than really super surprised or anything. Very happy with how it turned out. Instead of dreading going through the motions of "oh hey everything went to hell again!" I'm excited to see what comes out of this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dammit even this twist couldn't get Zoro to reveal his sharingan.
Haha yeah honestly when they were going at each other I was expecting Zoro to get real for a second and put them both in their places.. Kinemon messed that up for us.

The build-up to this twist is so good because for the past few chapters, the Straw Hats were jumping to the conclusion that revealing their association to the Minks would turn out bad.
And for the past few chapters, we're lead to believe that the Minks wouldn't be deceptive to anyone because of the peaceful tendencies of their country and the brutal interrogation they went through.

Oda definitely planned to start and end the Raizou/Mink mystery in one single volume. Those who read OP via volumes are going to get some absolutely great planning, misdirection, build-up, and pay-off when Vol. 81 comes out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The build-up to this twist is so good because for the past few chapters, the Straw Hats were jumping to the conclusion that revealing their association to the Minks would turn out bad.
And for the past few chapters, we're lead to believe that the Minks wouldn't be deceptive to anyone because of the peaceful tendencies of their country and the brutal interrogation they went through.

Oda definitely planned to start and end the Raizou/Mink mystery in one single volume. Those who read OP via volumes are going to get some absolutely great planning, misdirection, build-up, and pay-off when Vol. 81 comes out.

It's really been fantastic, I cannot wait to read all of Zou in one sitting.

Jarnet87

First time but I don't care about spoilers. If I get really interested in something I am lttp I will read ahead on characters, arcs, etc.

Jay-Hova

Banned
First time but I don't care about spoilers. If I get really interested in something I am lttp I will read ahead on characters, arcs, etc.
I'd recommend the manga but that's your choice, there's at least one arc i've seen people generally like less in the anime compared to the manga though.

Either his fruit or the same convienent plot sickness Oda gave to the minks to keep them from telling the strawhats Raizo was on Zou.

He just likes setting up specific moments and will often create some "coincidences" so that the scene works exactly like he wants.

I think it was clear that they didn't tell the Strawhats because they had no idea there was a connection between them

Lunar15

I think it was clear that they didn't tell the Strawhats because they had no idea there was a connection between them

I don't really mind that they didn't, but if you're explaining this long story about how your entire society was nearly decimated to the people who saved your lives, why leave out that detail? Why not start with the fact that you knew he was there but defended him anyway? Sure, the Strawhats wouldn't know who that is, but it's a pretty crucial part of the story. Oda just deliberately worked everything around in order to not start with that detail, (such as the samurai falling off the island in the beginning, momo being sick, the minks not telling them) just so he could set up that scene.

It works in his favor because it's a great scene, but there's definitely a big collection of coincidences to get there, lol.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't really mind that they didn't, but if you're explaining this long story about how your entire society was nearly decimated to the people who saved your lives, why leave out that detail? Why not start with the fact that you knew he was there but defended him anyway? Sure, the Strawhats wouldn't know who that is, but it's a pretty crucial part of the story.

I think it's more that they are keeping Raizo's presence a secret to everybody, no matter how grateful they might be to the Straw Hats for saving their lives. They allowed the wholesale slaughter of their people to keep the secret, they're not gonna blab it to the Straw Hats just because they were nice to them. Until the samurai came calling, Raizo's presence was classified information to every person on the planet.

I think it's more that they are keeping Raizo's presence a secret to everybody, no matter how grateful they might be to the Straw Hats for saving their lives.

Bingo. Even if the Straw Hats are their saviors, it would be counter-productive to risk the whereabouts of Raizou to anyone who isn't from the Kougetsu clan.

Lunar15

I think it's more that they are keeping Raizo's presence a secret to everybody, no matter how grateful they might be to the Straw Hats for saving their lives. They allowed the wholesale slaughter of their people to keep the secret, they're not gonna blab it to the Straw Hats just because they were nice to them. Until the samurai came calling, Raizo's presence was classified information to every person on the planet.

Yeah, that's ultimately the best explaination. It's just a little janky, that's all. But Oda's always willing to sacrifice some of that believability for a really good reason.

Yeah, that's ultimately the best explaination. It's just a little janky, that's all. But Oda's always willing to sacrifice some of that believability for a really good reason.
If they had mentioned that they had come with the Samurai or if Kinemon hadn't conveniently fallen off of Kanjuro's dragon at the start of the arc then it would have fallen through quite easily. So I get what you mean.

Still willing to give it to Oda, fuuck. Pulled a reverse misunderstanding-trope on us.

Nibel

a) They didn't tell the Strawhats about them because despite them kinda saving Zou the bond between Wano and the Minks is just stronger than the bond between Strawhats and Minks; I don't think there is a huge reason behind it. When you meet someone you feel very comfortable around and you know them for a very short period of time you shouldn't just tell them all your secrets and details of your life; common sense.

b) Momo feeling uneasy is also another thing you guys are over-analyzing; he's a kid that hasn't seen his dad or Kanjuro in quite a while (remember that that Momo was with Sanji during the Dressrosa arc) and felt uneasy because of that since they are his most familiar connections.

Momo's comment about feeling uneasy is kind of interesting. Maybe he feels that something is amiss on Zou or maybe he knows something that they don't.
Or it could just be a mis-translation. Wouldn't be the first time for MS. lol

ffdgh

Huh?

The minks live in relative isolation, and have for centuries. Those which venture out into the world, like Bepo and Pekoms, don't seem to have it rough. Fishmen have been discriminated against for centuries by humans.

Oh...I retract my former statement.
Momo's comment about feeling uneasy is kind of interesting. Maybe he feels that something is amiss on Zou or maybe he knows something that they don't.
Or it could just be a mis-translation. Wouldn't be the first time for MS. lol

Also was it ever explained why doffy wanted momo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom