• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dangerous waters my friend. Dangerous waters.

Agreed. The Senor Pink fight was super weird to me, obviously knowing why he was doing it, but that he coulda won easily.
Im a good navigator I'll survive!

It's odd we still haven't seen anyone peak yet! I'm still in the belief that luffy still has stuff too. He developed gear 4th with rayleigh he had six months left after that. Zoro just cruises along, sanji and his bad match ups(wasn't ready for mingo tho), usopp jut got a boost,nami hasn't fought nor has robin,chopper or brook.

I guess my list is:

1- Water 7
2- Arlong park
3- Ennies lobby

Water 7 is the deepest arc this series ever dare to feature, it's perfection. I sincerely never knew i could care so much for a bunch of fictional characters with broken bonds and a brink-of-death boat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been watching the Impel Down dub and I kinda forgot just how big of a Bro Mr.2 really is. He's the real tenth Strawhat.

Firestorm

1. Water 7 + Enies Lobby
2. Alabasta
3. Arlong Park

Saboady is a very close 4th though.

I'm really looking forward to the Reverie arc as I assume that will be the return of Vivi in some form. Alabasta was... 11 or 12 years ago for me now?

Pfft these lists are as expected. Cloud should've said top 5 than it would get interesting.

At the moment, no arc has topped Sabaody as number one for me.
So much world building, the Supernovae, foreshadowing the level of power in the New World, Haki in general, Celestial Dragons introduced as the major antagonists, the Straw Hat separation, Luffy's emotional breakdown....
It's crazy how quickly shit hit the fan in that arc. Not only did it kick-start Luffy's losing streak throughout the next few arcs, but the ramifications are still being felt even in the current storyline.

straw hats team vs oz &moria > any fight in enis lobby

bink sake & zorro's "nothing happened" > enis lobby
My man!! The team ups in thriller bark was legit! Really showed how well of a crew they are. I mean come on who didn't smile hard as hell at the "600 million beli jackpot" attack from luffy,zoro,sanji,Franky and robin

Firestorm

I think the emotional arc of Water 7 and Enies Lobby is definitely the peak of One Piece and really up there with anything else. But yeah, Thriller Bark's final fight is probably the best climax fight in the series so far. I loved the team up.

CZDzFrfUEAA9Kw8.jpg:large

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A full set of colorized One Piece is going to be so expensive when I'm 70. Better start a second retirement fund for it.

Firestorm

A full set of colorized One Piece is going to be so expensive when I'm 70. Better start a second retirement fund for it.
If they just released them digitally translated by Viz I'd purchase it :( I don't know why they haven't... The translations exist! I would really prefer an official translation on my next re-read rather than the fan ones. I actually think I prefer manga on my iPad rather than paper due to how convenient it is.

I already have like the first 60ish paper volumes though so the completionist in me will probably keep buying them...

If they just released them digitally translated by Viz I'd purchase it :( I don't know why they haven't... The translations exist! I would really prefer an official translation on my next re-read rather than the fan ones. I actually think I prefer manga on my iPad rather than paper due to how convenient it is.

I already have like the first 60ish paper volumes though so the completionist in me will probably keep buying them...
My "man cave" can't take anymore manga volumes on the walls lol. Oda spare me!! lol 74 volumes in counting

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Viz used to suck with One Piece but I've been buying them since 60 something on my Kindle and they're pretty great now.

1. Impel Down
2. Marine Ford
3. Alabasta
4. Thriller Bark
5. Water Seven + Ennies Lobby
for me at least

Edit: I accidentally made W7+EL higher then Thriller Bark... lol what a silly mistake

Jay-Hova

Banned
I couldn't possibly make a proper top five arc list for the series, it took me like a year to solidify a top five character's list and that's still a little washy.
I love stuff from every arc, ranking them would be too hard.
Though I do dislike Orange Town, and I wasn't able to get into W7 and Impel Down as much as most people.

I'm not a big fan of the colored version, but the original black/white manga art I love, Oda definitely is my favorite artist in manga.
I bought the ebooks for all of Dressrosa available so far yesterday.

Usopp is the freaking King. Wait sorry God.

Yup saw! Looking smoother than the strawberry cream cheese on my morning bagel!! Except luffy lol I Dont No ! whats Going on there like he couldn't decide if he was going to go farming or be classy
Luffy is wearing two straw hats lol. He's got this hippy cowboy look to him.

Lunar15

1. Alabasta
2. Enies Lobby
3. Arlong Park

Pretty much all of East Blue is amazing in my opinion, save for some weird pacing issues. It's just kind of Oda at his purest.

Chariot

Looking at the survey we did a few months ago here the Arcs were favoured like this:

01. Enies Lobby (36)
01. Marinford (36)
03. Water 7 (32)
04. Impel Down (29)
05. Sabaody Archipelago (28)
06. Arlong Park (27)
07. Dessrosa (24)
08. Alabasta (22)
09. Skypiea (17)
10. Thriller Park (9)
10. Drum Island (9)

Lunar15

I'm always happy to see variety in the answers. It means arcs are varied enough for different people to find different things in them.

Looking at the survey we did a few months ago here the Arcs were favoured like this:

01. Enies Lobby (36)
01. Marinford (36)
03. Water 7 (32)
04. Impel Down (29)
06. Arlong Park (27)
07. Dessrosa (24)
08. Alabasta (22)
09. Skypiea (17)
10. Thriller Park (9)
10. Drum Island (9)
Figured that much that top 3 is as expected from the mass bulk of the fandom.

Well Ussop does have a higher bounty then Sanji. And isn't getting married to the daughter of the ugliest woman this side of the grand line.
Pfft screw that bounty(im hating). And pudding will be beautiful you jus wait.

Magwik

Banned

01. Enies Lobby (36)
01. Marinford (36)
03. Water 7 (32)
04. Impel Down (29)
06. Arlong Park (27)
07. Dessrosa (24)
08. Alabasta (22)
09. Skypiea (17)
10. Thriller Park (9)
10. Drum Island (9)
Alabasta deserves to be higher

Firestorm

Viz used to suck with One Piece but I've been buying them since 60 something on my Kindle and they're pretty great now.
Zolo is really annoying and something my brain trained itself on to say Zoro. Other than that, I vastly prefer the consistency of it vs switching between the multiple fan groups. I also really like having the official terms for the different groups (Warlords, Emperors, etc) rather than random romanizations of Japanese words.

I think most of all it's the awful grammar in some chapters I've read :p

I'm not a big fan of the colored version, but the original black/white manga art I love, Oda definitely is my favorite artist in manga.
I bought the ebooks for all of Dressrosa available so far yesterday.
Really? Maybe it's because I started with the anime and stuck with it for almost a decade before switching to the manga but I thought the digital colour version was an amazing way to bring the pages to life even more (as cheesy as that sounds). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Zolo is really annoying and something my brain trained itself on to say Zoro. Other than that, I vastly prefer the consistency of it vs switching between the multiple fan groups. I also really like having the official terms for the different groups (Warlords, Emperors, etc) rather than random romanizations of Japanese words.

I think most of all it's the awful grammar in some chapters I've read :p

Really? Maybe it's because I started with the anime and stuck with it for almost a decade before switching to the manga but I thought the digital colour version was an amazing way to bring the pages to life even more (as cheesy as that sounds). Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nope, I can thing of specific reason pages off the top of my head that I feel like the colored version ruined.
Of course that's what not the case for every panel and there's some I do enjoy with it.
But in general I just can't stand it.
Black/white still feels the best for me.

marmoka

Banned
1-Alabasta (beginning of epicness)
2-Sabaody (I got shocked when they got separated, I have watched that episode twice)
3-Thriller Bark (boring at the beginning, but hilarious in the end)
4-Enies Lobby (Nico Robin's flashback, the ultimate step to make her one of the most important characters of the series)
5-Skypiea (Oda is warning us about bizarre the series will become)

Here's a sequence from Thriller Bark, one of my favorites.

No new chapter yet? We need to know more about Blond Trunks' past and what will happen next.

2-Sabaody (I got shocked when they got separated, I have watched that episode twice)
4-Enies Lobby (Nico Robin's flashback, the ultimate step to make her one of the most important characters of the series)

No new chapter yet? We need to know more about Blond Trunks' past and what will happen next.
Break this week

Grexeno

Hiatus this week.

Korosenai

I think the emotional arc of Water 7 and Enies Lobby is definitely the peak of One Piece and really up there with anything else. But yeah, Thriller Bark's final fight is probably the best climax fight in the series so far. I loved the team up.

CZDzFrfUEAA9Kw8.jpg:large
This pic is so god like. I need moar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom