• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostBed

Luffy's using Conqueror Haki and Zoro slashing Hody were worth it too.

This. Plus, the whole crew going to that battle and literally just fucking around while they kicked everyone's ass. Franky was just toying with everyone, Usopp showed off his badass new arsenal, Chopper's new forms were sick as hell, Robin's insane new cloning power, etc. etc. A lot of the characters in Fishman Island were not great, ye, but the Straw Hats completely wrecking their opponents without even breaking a sweat made it worth it to me.

Chariot

Power-ups are meaningless if the resistance looks so weak. The strawhats didn't look strong, the fishman just looked awfully weak. We were missing a benchmark of power, the next best thing was Luffy doing the mass haki, but everything else?

Lunar15

Thematically and conceptually I like Fishman Island, but the execution was weird. Same thing with pretty much every arc post Thriller Bark.

I didn't mind Shirahoshi.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fishman Island isn't a bad arc. It has issues, but I liked a lot of it.
I understand the intention Oda was going for with Hody. Blind racism exists, even if nothing happened to them, their environment can be toxic enough to make them believe that one group is the cause of their problems. Humans never did anything to Hody, but he grew up hearing stories about how they're awful and how they hurt Fishmen and Merfolk, and he believed it all.
I'm not saying it makes him a good villain, but I can understand where he's coming from. Making him an uncaring sociopath for other Fishmen/Merfolk didn't really help (I always use the Fishman Shield comparison. When Luffy used one as a shield against Arlong, Arlong freaked out. When Zoro sent a slash wave at Hody, he blocked it with one of his men.)

GhostBed

Power-ups are meaningless if the resistance looks so weak. The strawhats didn't look strong, the fishman just looked awfully weak. We were missing a benchmark of power, the next best thing was Luffy doing the mass haki, but everything else?

I think pre-timeskip Straw Hats would have struggled with the Hody crew. Zoro would have never been able to do that underwater slash shit beforehand, for example.

Chariot

I too liked the relatively different attempt of tackling racism, but the arc was badly executed regardless. It was the only time so far it felt like Oda was struggling mid-story what to do exactly.

--

I think pre-timeskip Straw Hats would have struggled with the Hody crew. Zoro would have never been able to do that underwater slash shit beforehand, for example.
Sure, but it wasn't really shown. It doesn't help, that we didn't see any fishmen since Arlong that was beaten by much weaker strawhats. The power of fishmen was basically only informed.

RomanceDawn

I'm not sure what you were expecting in this regard. There was no way the entire crew wasn't going to blitz past their competition this arc. We had just come off an extremely rare losing streak given to the Straw Hats one after another. They went away and came back to battle a group of people who were already connected to a group of pirates the Straw Hats battled in the East Blue.

The battles at Fishman Island accomplished exactly what they NEEDED to. If there was any major struggle where any one of the crew had to desperately bust out a new move then the time skip and training would have been nearly pointless. Comparatively Hodi and his gang were more powerful than Arlong's guys especially with the steroids its just the Straw Hats were leagues beyond them. Aside from environmental hazards, the story would have not sat well with anyone if the Straw Hats had to push harder in order to win.

Fishman Island is like the start of East Blue or the Grand Line. Luffy fighting Kuro, Krieg, Sanji fighting Kurobi, Zoro at Whiskey Peak, etc. The enemy gets hyped up, the world is afraid of these enemies but the Straw Hats handle them, and in some cases with ease. They take a hit or two but they don't flinch and the audience and readers are left to wonder "well how strong are these guys?" For the most part we are back to that time in the story, we have yet to see the full potential of anyone and we are still wondering well how strong are they? Luffy comes close especially with his battle VS Doffy but once Gear 4 hit, Luffy outclassed him in every aspect.

Chariot

I'm not sure what you were expecting in this regard. There was no way the entire crew wasn't going to blitz past their competition this arc. We had just come off an extremely rare losing streak given to the Straw Hats one after another. They went away and came back to battle a group of people who were already connected to a group of pirates the Straw Hats battled in the East Blue.

The battles at Fishman Island accomplished exactly what they NEEDED to. If there was any major struggle where any one of the crew had to desperately bust out a new move then the time skip and training would have been nearly pointless. Comparatively Hodi and his gang were more powerful than Arlong's guys especially with the steroids its just the Straw Hats were leagues beyond them. Aside from environmental hazards, the story would have not sat well with anyone if the Straw Hats had to push harder in order to win.

Fishman Island is like the start of East Blue or the Grand Line. Luffy fighting Kuro, Krieg, Sanji fighting Kurobi, Zoro at Whiskey Peak, etc. The enemy gets hyped up, the world is afraid of these enemies but the Straw Hats handle them, and in some cases with ease. They take a hit or two but they don't flinch and the audience and readers are left to wonder "well how strong are these guys?" For the most part we are back to that time in the story, we have yet to see the full potential of anyone and we are still wondering well how strong are they? Luffy comes close especially with his battle VS Doffy but once Gear 4 hit, Luffy outclassed him in every aspect.
I expected them struggle in some way. Maybe something morale, maybe everyone shackled in seastone, there are always ways to make unbalanced fights balanced by putting the protagonists at a disadvantage. Or make steamrolling really fun by the protagonist just going ape like Hellsing or Nanatsu no Taizai.

Such as it was, they took it serious and were just stronger than the enemies. No real tension, but not really onesided massacre with slasher face-fun either. As I said, the power of the Fishmen was only informed, leading to them looking weak.

What have I done'

In all seriousness, I didn't dislike Fishman Island. I found Otohime's death and the scene with Jinbei and Luffy doing the blood transfusion to be one of the most powerful moments in the series.

Hody was shit, but I loved the commentary on racism and how it's all empty hatred and how people can become socialized to just hate other people for no reason.

Alright, how about this. Top 5 greatest emotional moments.

1. Ace's Death
2. Merry's Funeral, "Thank you for taking care of me until now."
3. Robin's Backstory
4. Brook's Backstory
5. Fishman Island reaching "Zero"

Chariot

I was really hyped when they desperately tried to ring the bell with the help from everyone and their mother in Skypiea. Had goosebumbs while reading it. The same during the bell tower scene in Alabasta.

Ace's death didn't really touch me, but I get always slapped with feels during the tragic flashbacks since they are condensed dramatic short stories for themselves where you feel and hope with the characters, despite knowing better about their fate.

Firestorm

I can do Top 3 off the top of my head.

1. Luffy vs Ussop

CYZvhYFUoAE2Gkh.jpg:large
->
CYZ3cgcUoAAARn0.jpg:large

2. Robin's Backstory and that entire scene at Enies Lobby

3. Merry ;_;

4. Straw Hats vs Kuma. I think that chapter is the most powerful one that Oda has ever done.

5. I think it's because it was the first real gut punch in the series, but Bellemere's death.

I can do Top 3 off the top of my head.

1. Luffy vs Ussop

2. Robin's Backstory and that entire scene at Enies Lobby

3. Merry ;_;

4. Straw Hats vs Kuma. I think that chapter is the most powerful one that Oda has ever done.

5. I think it's because it was the first real gut punch in the series, but Bellemere's death.
Good picks. 1 and 4 are runner up moments for me for sure.

RomanceDawn

I expected them struggle in some way. Maybe something morale, maybe everyone shackled in seastone, there are always ways to make unbalanced fights balanced by putting the protagonists at a disadvantage. Or make steamrolling really fun by the protagonist just going ape like Hellsing or Nanatsu no Taizai.

Such as it was, they took it serious and were just stronger than the enemies. No real tension, but not really onesided massacre with slasher face-fun either. As I said, the power of the Fishmen was only informed, leading to them looking weak.

I get where you are coming from but the tension was there only it largely came from the environment. Since the time skip began I've said the biggest threats before an Emperor would be the environment and so far that's held true. Be it drowning a few times to and on Fishman Island, under water volcanoes, Noah crashing towards the island, Smiley's gas cloud, and even the bird cage(passive affect of a devil fruit or not) are all examples off the top of my head. There are only so many times the audience wants to deal with Luffy attached to a giant golden ball, Zoro and Usopp locked together by cuffs, etc, especially during an arc where the heroes are making a glorious return after extensive training.

I mean the handicaps were set in Fishman Island a couple times, Zoro VS Hodi round 1 and Luffy's main fight almost entirely in the water against a white shark Fishman but again, Fishman Island was not the time for Sanji to be nearly useless in the water, Zoro being sick or unable to physically reach or see his flying flashing opponent, or Nami to not understand how her completely overwhelming weather abilities work.

And I'd argue that we got some feats of strength from the New Fishman Pirates. Be it from Dosun or Cookie Cutter bringing down buildings, Hodi's water shot flying across the island through multiple buildings or Hodi's bite on Luffy. Though I know what you mean, I'd say it's not like the Black Beards who are in an extremely high position and all of their accomplishments happen off screen and every time they are on screen they are always getting beat up or just narrowly accomplishing their current mission, if at all.

1.drum island the whole arc
2.brooks back story(a quartet,a trio,a duo now a solo)
3.luffy after aces death(sabos reaction too)
4.robins backstory
5.luffy vs usopp

This is fun keep em up cloud.

Edit:bonus points for the tragic backstory of Trafalgar D.water law

smurfx

get some go again
For me:

1.- Bellemere's sacrifice
2.- Corazon's final moments
3.- Merry's goodbye
4.- luffy vs usopp
5.- robin's story
i always thought bellemere's sacrifice was a little dumb. she could have said she had no children and lived to take care of her kids. she could have tried to escape the island or go into hiding. there wasn't going to be anybody to pay the ransom for the kids after she was gone.

top 5 for me

1. choppers flashback (this flashback gutted me)
2. sanji's flashback
3. ace's death
4. whitebeard remembering his past and his one piece exists speech
5. blackbeard's dreams never die speech

i always thought bellemere's sacrifice was a little dumb. she could have said she had no children and lived to take care of her kids. she could have tried to escape the island or go into hiding. there wasn't going to be anybody to pay the ransom for the kids after she was gone.

top 5 for me

2. sanji's flashback
3. ace's death

Arlong's pirates took control of the whole island, so there was no possible way for them to sneak. It's a thing of principles i guess, she was really a mother and that was, above everything else, what defined her. Probably a thing of pride too, she'd have never go into hiding leaving the 2 girls with the monsters...

smurfx

get some go again
Arlong's pirates took control of the whole island, so there was no possible way for them to sneak. It's a thing of principles i guess, she was really a mother and that was, above everything else, what defined her. Probably a thing of pride too, she'd have never go into hiding leaving the 2 girls with the monsters...
by going into hiding i mean with with her kids. its not like the ransom was a one time thing. they would have to continue paying or else they would get killed.

For me:

1.- Bellemere's sacrifice
2.- Corazon's final moments
3.- Merry's goodbye
4.- luffy vs usopp
5.- robin's story
How could I forget Cora. Adding it to me list and taking off Brook's backstory.
This is fun keep em up cloud.
:)

Top 5 badass scenes?

1. "Shoot it down sogeking" "Roger"
2. After Thriller Bark Zoro: "Nothing at all."
3. Luffy stopping Doflamingo's curbstomp on Law
4. Luffy taking down 50000 guys at Fishman Island
5. Usopp awakening Haki against Sugar.

How could I forget Cora. Adding it to me list and taking off Brook's backstory.

:)

Top 5 badass scenes?

1. "Shoot it down sogeking" "Roger"
2. After Thriller Bark Zoro: "Nothing at all."
3. Luffy stopping Doflamingo's curbstomp on Law
4. Luffy taking down 50000 guys at Fishman Island
5. Usopp awakening Haki against Sugar.

1.luffy first jet pistol

tumblr_m9qki8ISgA1rtyo8ao1_500.gif

2.usopp sniping sugar
hqdefault.jpg

3. Sanji vs doflamingo(it ended quick but him skywalkin to greenbit from dressrosa and stopping doffy mid air is sick
maxresdefault.jpg

4.luffy vs 3 admirals

maxresdefault.jpg

5.sabo fire fist

hqdefault.jpg

Magwik

Banned
1. Luffy punching Celestial Dragon
2. Luffy vs 3 admirals
3. Sanji vs Vergo (and him respectively helping the marines)
4. Walk to arlong park scene
5. Zoro vs Mihawk

(Arlong Park still the best arc)

1. Luffy punching Celestial Dragon
2. Luffy vs 3 admirals
3. Sanji vs Vergo (and him respectively helping the marines)
4. Walk to arlong park scene
5. Zoro vs Mihawk

(Arlong Park still the best arc)
Too many moments. Arlong Park and the Celestial Dragon scene are so good. Fack

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The most underrated moment in the manga has to be luffy climbing a fucking mountain in a blizzard with his bare hands and feet, while carrying nami and sanji.

KtSlime

by going into hiding i mean with with her kids. its not like the ransom was a one time thing. they would have to continue paying or else they would get killed.

If you remember the context, her death happened right after Nami ran away because she didn't feel like she was a real daughter. Her choices were live and abandon Nami emotionally, or die and abandon her physically.

Oxn

My top 5 emotional moments in no particular order.

1. Robin saying she wants to live (obviously)
2. Usopp arguing with Luffy about what Merry means (before they fought)
3. Whitebeard asking Ace if he was a good father
4. Bellemere's death
5. Nami stabbing her arm and asking Luffy to help

Anteater

Merry's scene is pretty much the one that still gets me everytime I re-read it.

Then it's Chopper's past with Hiluluk and the ending for Drum Island.

Nami crying to Luffy that Robin didn't betray them.

Ace: "Thank you for loving me"

Brook and Rumbar Pirates' last song

Compbros

top 5 for me

2. sanji's flashback
3. ace's death

She'd rather die than admit she didn't have daughters, especially after that fight with Nami. Sooner or later the Fishmen would find out and kill her and probably her children. I mean they knew where Nami was keeping her money so hiding on the island was a no go and they would be hard pressed to escape to the sea against patrolling Fishmen. Either way it was likely she would die, at least this way there's a chance her daughters can live.

Does anyone here has a one piece tattoo? I want to design something around the Heart Pirates jolly roger for my shoulder, but it's kinda hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom