• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samemind

Why didn't they just dig underground to survive the Birdcage? Seems like the Underground Port was basically unscathed when we saw the Revos there after the fight.

Probably not logistically feasible to move an entire nation's population through tunnels. Or to dig the tunnels that would move that kind of traffic to begin with.

Majukun

Why didn't they just dig underground to survive the Birdcage? Seems like the Underground Port was basically unscathed when we saw the Revos there after the fight.

obviously the birdcage extended underground too,the port was at the center of dressrosa,ergo the part that remained unscathed because doflamingo was there

Robin,frankly,usopp and of course luffy have been on a damn roll since the time skip.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying Franky, Robin and Usopp after timeskip. They really grew on me. I hated Franky's redesign at first but now all his new tricks are worth it, funny as hell. Robin now is acting more carefree and Usopp's shot using haki against Sugar was Dressrosa's highlight to me.

Majukun

Everyone jump!

Obviously? Not really. It's a pretty big area.

a pretty big area at the centre of an entire island still makes a little part of th whole amount
don't forget that pretty much the entirety of the population of dressrosa managed to stay inside the space that was left before doffy went down,and the underground port was exactly under that more or less (some of the island's geography changed thanks to pica)

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Franky, Robin and Usopp after timeskip. They really grew on me. I hated Franky's redesign at first but now all his new tricks are worth it, funny as hell. Robin now is acting more carefree and Usopp's shot using haki against Sugar was Dressrosa's highlight to me.
I wasn't a fan if frany either but he's been perfect since the timeskip his cool new dock system in Fi, him taking on baby5 and buffulo like it was nothing on punk hazard(honestly i remember people being mad about mingos crew losing so easily on dressrosa and now looking back it should've been obvious franky took on two of them and was messing around), he takes charge on dressrosa and sticks to the plan and finally not only does he fight senior pink three times but also got jumped the second time got back up and fought a mans battle of which they couldn't dodge attacks. Loving franky

So is Sanji going to have the whole 'I'm ashamed I'm an assassin so I don't use my hands thing" immediately what I thought of when I heard he comes from a killer family. And what made him never hit a woman revealed? Really would like to know these character stories before I die oda! Lol

Who's luffy's Mom?
Zoro's best friend and what happened to her
What the heck happened to his eye
Did Sanji fight Ivankov?
Crocodiles secret

Some stuff like devil fruits origin and the void century, holy weapons and will of D seems like end game arc, I'm ok with not knowing that stuff. But I'm a little tired of the big world scene pace of post time skip and would rather get back to strong character development again. Thankfully that seems to be what's happening, or I hope it is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We should get a spoiler image later tonight.
I'm extra hyped after last week's major bomb.

bjork

Who's luffy's Mom?
Did Sanji fight Ivankov?
Crocodiles secret

crocodile
she fell down the stairs and died
perona mihawk threeway gone awry
sanji is a lover, not a fighter
he is luffy's mom

RomanceDawn

So is Sanji going to have the whole 'I'm ashamed I'm an assassin so I don't use my hands thing" immediately what I thought of when I heard he comes from a killer family. And what made him never hit a woman revealed? Really would like to know these character stories before I die oda! Lol

Who's luffy's Mom?
Did Sanji fight Ivankov?
Crocodiles secret

Some stuff like devil fruits origin and the void century, holy weapons and will of D seems like end game arc, I'm ok with not knowing that stuff. But I'm a little tired of the big world scene pace of post time skip and would rather get back to strong character development again. Thankfully that seems to be what's happening, or I hope it is.

While Sanji's policy of not using his hands for hand to hand combat could be partially related to his family life I think it's pretty clear that policy came completely from Zeff. Especially if you consider that Sanji tried to pull a cooking knife on Zeff twice as a child. I doubt he's ashamed and thats why he won't use his hands, I mean he has no reservations about pulling a gun on someone or cutting up a food based enemy with knives.

The no hitting women thing, oh yeah you can bet we are going to get something really juicy regarding his family in that regard.

-For all intents and purposes Luffy's mom is Dadan but with an arc centered on Dragon and why he became what he is, there is a good chance we get to see Luffy's blood mother.

-Sanji probably did fight Ivankov, I mean in what RPG do you fight and find 99 of something without that mysterious 100th boss at the end? Did he win? I don't know... Ivankov was Dragon's right hand man at one point. Not sure if Sabo took his place but he was handling guys like Kuma pretty well. I would say that Zoro and Sanji are only just now getting to that level, so over all I don't think Sanji beat him. But maybe we'll see.

-Considering Ivankov's mysterious relationship with Crocodile, Croc very well could have been a women. Not seeing Croc's face during Roger's execution and the completely androgynous young Crocodile we saw actually aids the theory a bit. We'll see.

I'm kinda lost. What's this Crocodile talk again? What mystery does he have? I guess I remember something from a flashback.

About Sanji don't beating women I always assumed it was because he is a womanizer and that was just part of his personality.

Regarding Kuina's death, that was explained pretty early but I wonder if there is a hidden reason for Tashigi being exactly like her and also a swordswoman. Just coincidence?

I'm kinda lost. What's this Crocodile talk again? What mystery does he have? I guess I remember something from a flashback.

About Sanji don't beating women I always assumed it was because he is a womanizer and that was just part of his personality.

Regarding Kuina's death, that was explained pretty early but I wonder if there is a hidden reason for Tashigi being exactly like her and also a swordswoman. Just coincidence?
Iva blackmailed crocodile in impel down about knowing his secret. Fan favorite theory's is that he was once a women.

Highly doubt its cuz sanji is a womanizer. Its something deeper there. As oda said" its not that sanji won't hit a women, it's that he can't"

Iva blackmailed crocodile in impel down about knowing his secret. Fan favorite theory's is that he was once a women.

I see... but he being Luffy's mom doesn't make sense. lol

Highly doubt its cuz sanji is a womanizer. Its something deeper there. As oda said" its not that sanji won't hit a women, it's that he can't"

When I said womanizer I meant the "chivalrous" (*kishido) part of him. In the chapter 403, "Mr. Kishido", after the fight against Kalifa, when Nami says: "If you keep holding on to your stupid kishido, you'll be endangering your life. Will you still keep it, even if end up like this? What if you die?

Then he says: "It's not like... I want to die. But.. I was taught never to kick a woman. That's just how I was brought up. That's why... even if it kills me I refuse to kick a woman!"

The reason behind it we might as well discover in this arc but I think it's still part of his principles. More like a matter of choice.

I see... but he being Luffy's mom doesn't make sense. lol

When I said womanizer I meant the "chivalrous" (*kishido) part of him. In the chapter 403, "Mr. Kishido", after the fight against Kalifa, when Nami says: "If you keep holding on to your stupid kishido, you'll be endangering your life. Will you still keep it, even if end up like this? What if you die?

Then he says: "It's not like... I want to die. But.. I was taught never to kick a woman. That's just how I was brought up. That's why... even if it kills me I refuse to kick a woman!"

The reason behind it we might as well discover in this arc but I think it's still part of his principles. More like a matter of choice.
Of course it doesn't make any sense lol it just somehow stuck around.

Yea i definitely think we'll be learning alot more about our cook soon enough can't wait

Ganzlinger still has to learn about all the OP memes and insiders

Crocomum is one of them.

But RomanceDawn told me it was all true!

I assumed Zef taught him to never kick a woman but back then we didn't know about his origin.

I think it's safe to say that Zeff is behind the "a cook shouldn't use his hands or knives to fight" policy.

I wonder how effective would Sanji be using houchou sabaki against a swordsman.

Changing the subject a little, isn't there someone in Dressrosa arc that have the same power Miss Valentine (kilo kilo no mi) have? Isn't she alive?

IHaveIce

Banned

I think it's safe to say that Zeff is behind the "a cook shouldn't use his hands or knives to fight" policy.

Changing the subject a little, isn't there someone in Dressrosa arc that have the same power Miss Valentine (kilo kilo no mi) have? Isn't she alive?

Romance said Croc was most likely a woman back then.. I agree with this theory, though is ofc not Luffy's mum

You're talking about machvise he has the ton ton no mi.

bjork

Machvise has the ton ton no mi, it's a superior version of the kilo kilo no mi. Similar, but not the same. Kinda like Akainu and Ace's powers.

beaten by seconds...

GhostBed

Romance said Croc was most likely a woman back then.. I agree with this theory, though is ofc not Luffy's mum

I really want this to be true. A character in One Piece that straight up gets a sex change? Would be refreshingly progressive.

Though, in all reality, I would assume Croc's past is related to the Revolutionaries. Maybe he ran with them before he became a pirate?

Lunar15

I really want this to be true. A character in One Piece that straight up gets a sex change? Would be refreshingly progressive.

Though, in all reality, I would assume Croc's past is related to the Revolutionaries. Maybe he ran with them before he became a pirate?

Well, I mean, a lot of characters in One Piece got sex changes: That's Iva's whole shtick. They're an entire group that finds gender meaningless.

GhostBed

Well, I mean, a lot of characters in One Piece got sex changes: That's Iva's whole shtick. They're an entire group that finds gender meaningless.

Yeah, I guess that's true. But those guys are almost treated as a cult and usually played for laughs. I just want a trans character whose whole identity doesn't revolve around their gender and wacky clothes.

RomanceDawn

I think he means a main character that is ingrained into the minds of One Piece readers/watchers before sex changing was a thing.

To have a such a major presence in the story reveal that he was once a woman would be pretty amazing I think.

Having the son of that king get turned to a woman wasn't so much of a big deal because we had no idea who he was or where he ended up. It was Ivankovs thing since his introduction so the impact really isn't there. For someone like Croc it's I guess somewhat equal to coming out of the closet like Elen did on her show way back when.

I'm not fully behind Croc as a woman but I acknowledge something very well could be there. Not like I am with the alien Sanji theory. Him being in an organization of any kind that we know of just doesn't seem embarrassing enough.

So when are we going to the Moon fellas?

At some point. Maybe just before Raftel... All I know is there is some government conspiracy crap behind Sanji's family, weird looking pirates are already mining things on the moon, and no way in H E double hockey sticks will Oda allow one of Usopp's lies to go unrealized! That alien shop keeper will rise! God Usopp has spoken!

RomanceDawn

The Year of Sanji will certainly not stop Oda from embarrassing our boy. I'm sure this upcoming wedding will have a number of nosebleeds.

Oops I think I crossed my messages. I meant Croc being embarrassed at least about being a part of the revolutionaries or something. I mean why would anyone care if that was the case? Ivankov did mention weakness if I'm remembering correctly, but what water? With Hakified folks along with Jinbe and Luffy I don't see his fruits weakness as what Ivankov was referring to.

Being a woman I could see something that Croc doesn't want the world to know.

Jarate

Banned
Guys, what if one of the missing red poneglyphs is on the moon, and the red poneglyphs are actually from mars, so we have to go to mars to find the Dark Gundam

RomanceDawn

Guys, what if one of the missing red poneglyphs is on the moon, and the red poneglyphs are actually from mars, so we have to go to mars to find the Dark Gundam

I considered that the moment we were told there were 4 red Glyphs and one was lost. Well not the mars part.

I figure it could have gotten there by a paw paw user or something like it a long long time ago.

Lunar15

Yeah, I guess that's true. But those guys are almost treated as a cult and usually played for laughs. I just want a trans character whose whole identity doesn't revolve around their gender and wacky clothes.

This is a pretty fair point. It's hard to get those low key representations.

inafking

I considered that the moment we were told there were 4 red Glyphs and one was lost. Well not the mars part.

I figure it could have gotten there by a paw paw user or something like it a long long time ago.

Weren't 2 of the 4 poneglyphs in the hands of two Yonko's (Big Mom and Kaido to be more exact)?

So in the immediate ToDo list we have the following:
  • Rescue Sanji
  • Fight Kaido to free Wano Country
  • Get a print of or read directly Kaido's poneglyph
  • Get a print of or read directly Big Mom's poneglyph

I didn't put an order, but I consider that rescuing a crew mate must be the first priority

I'm glad we're actually seeing more central plot in these chapters. Don't know if the story's gonna last for another 15 or so more years.

Red Fire

I think the difference is that miss valentine could change her own weight, and Machvice could change the weight of other things, hence why he was wearing this big ass rock plate on his back. It was more obvious when he was attacking.

If the thing that Crocodile feared was having people accept him as a woman then Ivankov would have just been able to threaten to turn him into a woman. Just a bit of occams razor on that theory. Possibly Crocodile has people somewhere that he wants to protect but would Ivankov threaten innocent people?

More obvious things are that Crocodile has some association with the rev army that would make it very hard for him to operate in the underworld. Or from the other angle that Ivankov knows some revealing back story about why Crocodile wanted to kill Whitebeard so badly that makes Crocodile look weak.

smurfx

get some go again
I believe there is a chance to find Big Mom's poneglyph at "Sanji's operation rescue"
sanji making a copy of big mom's poneglyph after luffy fails to steals it is something i expect to happen. bet you luffy ends up burning it or ripping it up into pieces since he doesn't want to do things that way. luffy getting the poneglyphs after defeating big mom and kaido is something that will happen. kinda like the prize after defeating a tough boss. bet you kaido is hiding his in the shoguns castle and luffy will get it after they pretty much wreck the palace fighting.

Lunar15

Enjoying Zou, but Oda really needs to tighten up on pacing. We've been on Zou for 17 chapters and have learned a good deal, but I actually have been re-reading the series, and here's all that gets accomplished within 17 chapters of them merely entering the grand line:

They met crocus and laboon, learned about raftel, learned about how the grand line works, learned about how the log pose works, learned about baroque works, met vivi and mr 9, went to whiskey peak, fought everyone there, learned about Alabasta, learned about crocodile, met Nico Robin, went to Little Garden, and met Dorry and Broggy. That's 3 different islands and a ton of information. Now, I know those are fairly short arcs, but that's a lot of different things going on with some pretty interesting character moments sprinkled about.

RomanceDawn

Enjoying Zou, but Oda really needs to tighten up on pacing. We've been on Zou for 17 chapters and have learned a good deal, but I actually have been re-reading the series, and here's all that gets accomplished within 17 chapters of them merely entering the grand line:

They met crocus and laboon, learned about raftel, learned about how the grand line works, learned about how the log pose works, learned about baroque works, met vivi and mr 9, went to whiskey peak, fought everyone there, learned about Alabasta, learned about crocodile, met Nico Robin, went to Little Garden, and met Dorry and Broggy. That's 3 different islands and a ton of information. Now, I know those are fairly short arcs, but that's a lot of different things going on with some pretty interesting character moments sprinkled about.

The scale of the story is absolutely colossal compared to what it once was. Plus the main cast has nearly doubled since then. The crew is involved with end game plot lines. That's just mostly how it's going to be until the end.

Lunar15

The scale of the story is absolutely colossal compared to what it once was. Plus the main cast has nearly doubled since then. The crew is involved with end game plot lines. That's just mostly how it's going to be until the end.

But this has actually been a pretty focused arc, all things considered. It's largely been a flashback to Sanji's split, then Raizo, and now the poneglyphs. It's not like we're jumping all over the world with a massive story. What I'm saying is: more characters and plot devices were introduced in those earlier 17 chapters than what's going on right now.

All of Arlong Park was basically 25-ish chapters, and I doubt we'll even get off Zou before then.

In my opinion, the furries and those samurais are unnecessary, so far (the samurais are specially annoying). But I thought all those warriors from Dressrosa were too and, in the end, Oda surprises me with the Straw Hat fleet. So in Oda we trust.

Lunar15

I've really enjoyed the Minks as well as the Samurai. It's just that I feel like everything's been really drawn out. I like everything that's going on.

BHK3

Banned
Robin,frankly,usopp and of course luffy have been on a damn roll since the time skip. Sanji as well just not in a good way because oda keeps putting him in a Terrible situation every arc lol. Zoro,Nami,chopper and brook I haven't really been feeling since the time skip especially chopper and brook. Zoro has had his moments and so has Nami.

I figured out my issue, I don't remember shit from fishman island. So basically anything that happened during that time I didn't even count. I wanna re-read punk hazard but in colour, honestly the art in that was hard for me to follow since it was all snow.

But this has actually been a pretty focused arc, all things considered. It's largely been a flashback to Sanji's split, then Raizo, and now the poneglyphs. It's not like we're jumping all over the world with a massive story. What I'm saying is: more characters and plot devices were introduced in those earlier 17 chapters than what's going on right now.

All of Arlong Park was basically 25-ish chapters, and I doubt we'll even get off Zou before then.
The difference being we have a loooot of things to resolve.
That being said, aside from your location bit, we've been introduced to:
All the Minks:
-Wanda
-Carrot
-Nekomamushi
-Inuarashi
-Cicilian
-Pedro
-Bariete,'Dr.Goat guy, Tristan, and more

-Jack
-Sheepshead
-Ginrunmy

-Raizo

-Weevil
-Bakin

Plot Devices:
-Road Poneglyphs
-Wano Occupation by Kaido
-Tea Party
-The Vinsmoke Family
-Revenge on Blackbeard/Marco by Weevil

I mean, cmon.

The Year of Sanji will certainly not stop Oda from embarrassing our boy. I'm sure this upcoming wedding will have a number of nosebleeds.

Nah, I think Sanji will be (mostly) all business for this arc. I'm expecting/hoping for something along the lines of Robin's personal arc. Are my expectations too high? Most likely, but Sanji needs something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom