• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wouldn't there be two possible sites for Raftel if we use four points intersecting in a globe?

No because we do know that Raftel is in the New World, near the end of the Grand Line. We generally know where it is, but because of how Grand Line navigation works they can't just sail around and try to find it.

Lucky Lucky Fruit sound interesting and potentially overpowered as hell.
Still, though, they gave it to the wrong character.
1894853-298px_roux.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Lucky Lucky Fruit sound interesting and potentially overpowered as hell.
Still, though, they gave it to the wrong character.
1894853-298px_roux.jpg
Can't wait to get some backstory on Shanks and his crew.

GhostBed

Would love to see how Shanks' crew stacks up against other Yonko's crewmembers.

Like Lucky Roo vs. Jack or Yasopp vs. Marco

I'm sure the Red Hairs are all insanely strong. They intercepted Kaido on their way to Marineford and showed up without a scratch on them. Hyped as fuck to see them in action, but I'm sure it won't be for a little while.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm sure the Red Hairs are all insanely strong. They intercepted Kaido on their way to Marineford and showed up without a scratch on them. Hyped as fuck to see them in action, but I'm sure it won't be for a little while.

I was thinkin the other day, I wonder if the reason Shanks can kinda control time in Pirate Warriors 3 is because the video game team was guessing he had a hand in how they arrived at Marineford after encountering Kaido so fast. That's still a mystery, how they showed up like that. Maybe Oda told Bandai something.

GhostBed

I was thinkin the other day, I wonder if the reason Shanks can kinda control time in Pirate Warriors 3 is because the video game team was guessing he had a hand in how they arrived at Marineford after encountering Kaido so fast. That's still a mystery, how they showed up like that. Maybe Oda told Bandai something.

Pirate Warriors 3 was not the first time Shanks has used time abilities in a game. Most people chalk it up to Bandai just guessing his abilities, but it could be some juicy inside info that Oda's not ready to reveal in the manga yet.

Shank's won't have a devil fruit, tho. In the end, I figure he'll just be a really strong hand-to-hand/sword fighter with some next level Haki. Like, making big name pirates feel queasy with his conqueror's Haki.

Dugna

Pirate Warriors 3 was not the first time Shanks has used time abilities in a game. Most people chalk it up to Bandai just guessing his abilities, but it could be some juicy inside info that Oda's not ready to reveal in the manga yet.

Shank's won't have a devil fruit, tho. In the end, I figure he'll just be a really strong hand-to-hand/sword fighter with some next level Haki. Like, making big name pirates feel queasy with his conqueror's Haki.

Well I bet his conqueror's haki is stupid strong because just when he used it on Whitebeard's ship it started tearing it apart.

Squishy3

Wasn't he holding it back when he stepped on Whitebeard's ship too?

Here's my theory on this.

1. We know Shanks "sees" something in Luffy, hence he gave him the Strawhat which has a huge significance because of Roger. We know this because Shanks has blabbed on and on about Luffy to characters like Mihawk and Rayleigh.

2. Shanks arrived at the war unscathed, and I'm pretty sure a marine or someone commented on how that was impossible since he intercepted Kaido.

3. Kaido tried to stop Whitebeard from going to the war.

4. Kaido commits suicide for a hobby.

5. Kaido mentions Whitebeard in 795 when he is introduced, something like "Damn that Whitebeard" and how he wants to start the greatest war the world has ever seen.

Here's the theory. What is Kaido went to stop Whitebeard because Whitebeard was the only living pirate that could challenge him and threaten him? Kill him perhaps? Kaido is "bored" with the world, he's too strong for it. He tried to stop Whitebeard because he knew that Whitebeard was going to die from disease or just through combat if he went to save Ace. Whitebeard was a source of entertainment and provided a thrill in combat that he doesn't get at all. Now that Whitebeard's gone, he's so fucking bored that he'd rather just end the world to see if it'll kill him. This also explains his desire to learn more about Raftel and how to become even stronger to do so.

Now on Shanks. What if Shanks didn't actually fight Kaido? What if Shanks convinced Kaido to back down? Maybe Shanks promised Kaido that someone would eventually replace the Whitebeard in his life. That someone is Luffy, and Shanks probably drew clear parallels between what he "sensed" in Luffy and Gold Roger. Knowing that Luffy has the potential to become the next Pirate King would have definitely made Kaido interested. We just don't know whether Shanks legitimately senses something in Luffy that can be explained (his Haki, he is a reincarnation of Roger, whatever), but Kaido didn't fight Shanks and he backed down, so Shanks must have convinced him to.

In the present, Kaido is probably regretting his decision. Luffy was gone for 2 years, and we see that Kaido is still continuing his hobby of trying to kill himself.

All of this explains his dialogue at the end of 795, and it explains how Shanks made it to the war without any signs of a struggle happening.

smurfx

get some go again
if somebody in shanks crew has some sort of time fruit what do you think it is? a straight up time fruit would be way too op but what about a fast forward and rewind fruit? it's still really op but you can't just stop time and kill somebody.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Fuck all those guys.

I just want the Yasopp and Usopp meeting.

I give zero fucks about anything else with Shanks crew right now!

Especially now with Usopp actually getting a bounty with his name on it, Yasopp has to know now his kid is with Luffy.

Since Shanks' crew are themed as being normal sorts of pirates and not crazy freaks it would make sense if none of them had devil fruits and were top tier haki users. From the start Shanks lectured Luffy that eating his Devil Fruit was a bad thing. That might be his genuine opinion of devil fruits. Also in the Buggy and Shanks flashback eating the devil fruit was seen as something bad so it might be an opinion from Roger.

Beckman does have to be really strong. At least as strong as Jack, probably stronger since he is also supposed be one of the few characters in One Piece who isn't a dumbass.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The weird thing about Beckman to me is he looks so... normal. Generic, even.

Samemind

Exactly

Especially with that voice.

The way Toei addapted that scene still upsets me. In the manga, it goes from one panel with both of Kizaru's legs on the ground to the next panel with a foot an inch from Hawkins' face. It gave the impression that the whole motion was done at the speed of light, including lifting his leg up.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just thought of something.

Luffy made himself and laboon rivals, right? And told Laboon to train hard for their rematch, since he'd be much stronger after sailing the grand line?

... What if Laboon shows up to the final battle with the WG/blackbeard/whomever as an ally, with full blown armament haki? OMG.

RomanceDawn

I just thought of something.

Luffy made himself and laboon rivals, right? And told Laboon to train hard for their rematch, since he'd be much stronger after sailing the grand line?

... What if Laboon shows up to the final battle with the WG/blackbeard/whomever as an ally, with full blown armament haki? OMG.

I don't know if he'll learn Haki but expect Laboon and his family of Island Whales to decimate opponents in the final war. Brook will lead that division.

Hey guys, I've finally read all One Piece chapters. It took me almost two months and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'll just say it is one of the best manga I've ever read, I forgot how many times I cried reading this, absolutely fantastic. Certainly it's my favorite manga now. The sad part is that I postponed it for years thinking it was probably a dumb shonen (I blame Ruffy's looks) lol. Lesson learned.

Subscribing the thread now. :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hey guys, I've finally read all One Piece chapters. It took me almost two months and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'll just say it is one of the best manga I've ever read, I forgot how many times I cried reading this, absolutely fantastic. Certainly it's my favorite manga now. The sad part is that I postponed it for years thinking it was probably a dumb shonen (I blame Ruffy's looks) lol. Lesson learned.

Welcome aboard.
Also, it's Luffy.

RomanceDawn

Good job! Now people are going to mention things that seem absolutely insane that you probably glanced over in a 2 month speed read. Just accept it because it's all true.

Welcome aboard.
Also, it's Luffy.

Thanks! Is it really Luffy? I know about the controversy but didn't know it was settled. The manga and the anime were always changing his name. I actually prefer Luffy.

Good job! Now people are going to mention things that seem absolutely insane that you probably glanced over in a 2 month speed read. Just accept it because it's all true.

Well, I guess insane is a word that goes well with One Piece. lol

You call him Ruffy again I'll personally kick you out this thread
joking..sort of

Welcome now a question ro decide your fate..sanji do you like him.

Lunar15

Which translations used Ruffy? I can only remember one or two bad scans that ever used it, but maybe it's an international thing?

Either way, I'm not pedantic. Use whatever feels most comfortable.
Except for Zolo, no one should ever say Zolo.

I don't know if he'll learn Haki but expect Laboon and his family of Island Whales to decimate opponents in the final war. Brook will lead that division.

I expect Brook to bring in Laboon, but Jinbe will bring the rest of the Island Whales.

Speaking of Jinbe, if and when he joins the crew, do you think he'll have a dream or goal? All of the other Strawhats have it, but I don't remember Jinbe mentioning one. I wouldn't want him to just follow Luffy just because.

Welcome now a question ro decide your fate..sanji do you like him.

It's my favorite character. :D

Which translations used Ruffy? I can only remember one or two bad scans that ever used it, but maybe it's an international thing?

Either way, I'm not pedantic. Use whatever feels most comfortable.
Except for Zolo, no one should ever say Zolo.

The Brazilian fansub uses Ruffy a lot, I see many people fighting over this but whatever... but the manga I read in English, and it really uses "L" more often, like you said, only a very few of them used "R".

I must be dreaming..someone else like sanji in this thread. Alright wheres the joke who put u up to this cloud?

lol it's true. I believe Sanji is pretty popular, at least outside GAF. He is always high at popularity contests. Among my friends that pushed me to read One Piece everyone likes him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom