• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I loved Sanji up until the timeskip. He's been one note since then until current events, but most of the cast is guilty of the same thing. Zoro in particular.

I remember when Zoro used to show emotions.

I loved Sanji up until the timeskip. He's been one note since then until current events, but most of the cast is guilty of the same thing. Zoro in particular.

I use to like zoro almost as much as sanji. Than the timeskip happened. He bores me even the fights. I'll take sanji getting his ass kicked over them now.

Pre timeskip zoro? Whoooooooo
Zoro vs daz bones
Zoro vs ryuma
Zoro vs kaku all fire

Red Fire

Yeah i don't like the new zorro as much as the old one. Not just because of his fights but his character is lacking. He used to be cool and funny and he had a character, now he is just cold and emotionless.

I feel like Zoro went from being genuinely cool to being "fake cool" if that makes sense.
Because aside from getting lost oda made him semi perfect. No flaws, no quirks he doesn't join in on the faces or the fun whn the crew does. Hell even Robin now has such a great personality she grew as a character i feel like zoro regressed

Your friends are smart people keep them around welcome to one piece gaf
Thanks, bro!

Well, I kinda agree if we are talking about Fishman Island, but in Punk Hazard, during the children crisis and while saving Kinemon, he was conflicted by serious questions. And acting as captain of the Thousand Sunny against Big Mom Pirates and defending Zoe Island he was great imo. In this current arc he'll probably have a big character development.

Regarding Zoro, I was watching Skypiea arc and Braham hits him in the leg, after Zoro stopped to look at a dead lamprey joking about eating it, after the battle he says something like "I am still getting easily distracted". So I guess to achieve Mihawk's level he is becoming more and more like a "jedi", becoming serious and focused. It sucks but it makes sense with his objective. :/

Wheres this guy.

023.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zoro will show emotions one the time is ready...why should he pretend about being worried or emotional about stuff when thats exactly what he was preparing for. The longer the wait the bigger the impact...

Samemind

Sanji hasn't gotten to show off in years. Almost makes one believe that Oda is purposely trying to ruin his character. Hoping this rescue arc lets him shine.

GhostBed

Sanji hasn't gotten to show off in years. Almost makes one believe that Oda is purposely trying to ruin his character. Hoping this rescue arc lets him shine.

I think Oda has just been saving Sanji's new abilities + fighting prowess for this coming arc. So far, he hasn't done much that pre-time skip Sanji couldn't have done, but that's about to change. I think this dude is gonna be reminding us that he's still a part of the monster trio.

I think Oda has just been saving Sanji's new abilities + fighting prowess for this coming arc. So far, he hasn't done much that pre-time skip Sanji couldn't have done, but that's about to change. I think this dude is gonna be reminding us that he's still a part of the monster trio.

I agree, the perception I have from reading through all the chapters in these two months is that Oda really likes the character and the man knows what he is doing.

so is robin going with luffy to get sanji and the glyph? when was the last time luffy and robin had a bonding moment?

Wasn't Luffy saying he was going alone? They said they don't need the stone as long as they have the prints.

But now that things are escalating quickly and the road to Raftel is at stake, I bet the whole crew is going. By the way, do you guys think that Oda will make the fight against Kaidou and Big Mom in one arc? 'Cause right now, both are fighting the Straw Hats.

And I guess the last bonding moment between those two was Ennies Lobby.

smurfx

get some go again
you all bash zoro for being too serious but he had to change in order to keep the crew alive. he had to sacrifice himself at thriller bark and then suffered a devastating loss at sabaody and then had to throw his pride away to get trained by mihawk. dude has been through a lot and understands what it's going to take for them to keep advancing.

you all bash zoro for being too serious but he had to change in order to keep the crew alive. he had to sacrifice himself at thriller bark and then suffered a devastating loss at sabaody and then had to throw his pride away to get trained by mihawk. dude has been through a lot and understands what it's going to take for them to keep advancing.

That's exactly what I get from his story. It makes sense as character development but we really miss those funny moments.

Losing an eye makes you a different man. lol

Seriously though, you guys must have high selective memory going on if you believe that Zoro is one note now.

I can name at least three moments in the current arc that already disproves that.

Diablos54

Plus the fact Luffy's as carefree as ever means Zoro has to keep even more of an eye on everyone else than before.

He'll get his moment though, just like Sanji will soon!

Seriously though, you guys must have high selective memory going on if you believe that Zoro is one note now.

I can name at least three moments in the current arc that already disproves that.
We're talking with the perspective of the entire post-timeskip so far (I think).

This arc has been pretty good for him though. The Kaido speech he gave is a perfect example of what he's like now. Moreso focused on responsibilities and duty than being a natural carefree badass who cares about protecting his honor and friends.

Oxn

We're talking with the perspective of the entire post-timeskip so far (I think).

This arc has been pretty good for him though. The Kaido speech he gave is a perfect example of what he's like now. Moreso focused on responsibilities and duty than being a natural carefree badass who cares about protecting his honor and friends.

What about cutting up the ship at Sabody? And then when the crew dives down while going to Fish land he says, "Ive been here before".

Better than any moment of any crew member post timeskip.

Even in Fishman Island thru Dressrosa, Zoro had some very overlooked moments.

5NZmcGp.png

EDIT: Had to take out the Panda.

RomanceDawn

Ruin his character? No way. But purposely putting Sanji in situations where he is seen in lesser light sure. Kind of like Usopp before Thriller Bark, I kept wondering why does Usopp keep losing, what is Oda building up to? Same with Sanji, one main thing about him is that he has not had a major 1on1 CONCLUSIVE fight since the time skip, but now after this Year Of Sanji business, it's clear to me it was all deliberate for a major story that revolved around him.

Originally we thought dealing with Big Mom would revolve mostly around Jinbe and his problems, now though Sanji and his situation has just completely changed everything we thought we knew about him and the coming plot.

I'm glad.

GhostBed

Agreed, Zoro has been the driving force for pushing the crew forward. Even before Thriller Bark, he was the one that insisted the crew make Usopp apologize before they let him back on the ship during post Enies Lobby. He's taught Luffy a lot about maturity and what it takes to lead people. He's serious because he needs to be. If every member of the crew was a silly goofball that had no sense of purpose, the Straw Hat's wouldn't be nearly as far as they are. Zoro's serious, hardass demeanor is necessary, IMHO.

And Zoro can definitely still be goofy. Remember when Zoro was running around with Wicca in Dressrosa? Some seriously excellent moments in there.

What about cutting up the ship at Sabody? And then when the crew dives down while going to Fish land he says, "Ive been here before".

Better than any moment of any crew member post timeskip.
Not saying he isn't a badass, but I'm comparing him to his Pre-Timeskip character were there were more jokes and sarcasm. Think of Zoro during Arlong Park or against Mr.1, or even against Kaku.
Now Zoro is just super focused on his duty to maintain his crew's honor, more so than he ever was before.
Could be a reason for it, but it's pretty noticeable.
Even in Fishman Island thru Dressrosa, Zoro had some very overlooked moments.

5NZmcGp.png

EDIT: Had to take out the Panda.
Yeah true, the other stuff just overshadows this (at least to me).

BHK3

Banned
I personally feel like every strawhat has taken a back seat for the world post timeskip. You still have the weak trio running around scared but sanji and zoro haven't been doing anything and Robins the only one that's actually grown a bit of a personality. I've completely forgotten about brook and Frankys the only one to get solo time consistently(defending the ship during punk hazard, meeting kuma, his fight with senor pink). Hyped for Sanji action though, I'm thinking of a possible shot where we see both his eyes at once.

Then again my memory is total junk so I'm sure I'm missing something. It's not easy to balance screen time for 10 characters anyway, it just makes for bland games like the pirate warriors series where robin and chopper don't do anything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Parting your hair the other way makes you a better man than that moss head.

I personally feel like every strawhat has taken a back seat for the world post timeskip. You still have the weak trio running around scared but sanji and zoro haven't been doing anything and Robins the only one that's actually grown a bit of a personality. I've completely forgotten about brook and Frankys the only one to get solo time consistently(defending the ship during punk hazard, meeting kuma, his fight with senor pink). Hyped for Sanji action though, I'm thinking of a possible shot where we see both his eyes at once.

Then again my memory is total junk so I'm sure I'm missing something. It's not easy to balance screen time for 10 characters anyway, it just makes for bland games like the pirate warriors series where robin and chopper don't do anything.
Robin,frankly,usopp and of course luffy have been on a damn roll since the time skip. Sanji as well just not in a good way because oda keeps putting him in a Terrible situation every arc lol. Zoro,Nami,chopper and brook I haven't really been feeling since the time skip especially chopper and brook. Zoro has had his moments and so has Nami.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sanji took on a warlord that even Luffy had trouble with and survived. What did Zoro do last arc? Get lost? Beat up some high voiced jabroni? Push a wall? Get on his level.

Sanji took on a warlord that even Luffy had trouble with and survived. What did Zoro do last arc? Get lost? Beat up some high voiced jabroni? Push a wall? Get on his level.
What are you talking about? Zoro could have beat Mingo because cutting is effective against strings...

Never will I visit one piece Reddit again the fanboy wars are strong

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What are you talking about? Zoro could have beat Mingo because cutting is effective against strings...

Never will I visit one piece Reddit again the fanboy wars are strong

I mean, if he could have actually cut Doffy with his dull knives he would have gone right through the birdcage. Useless moss head.

Why didn't they just dig underground to survive the Birdcage? Seems like the Underground Port was basically unscathed when we saw the Revos there after the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom