• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
"STERBEN"

lol ...half dead Law continues to pull ridiculous moves. Okay chapter - as expected the Executives turned DoFla into what he is today. DoFla will be redeemed... at some point.

Take that trebol! Finally he's gone... Along with the theory that he is the mastermind

Well the chapter confirmed that they turned Kid Dofla into what he is today - thats all the speculation we had, not that he was secretly stronger than Dofla. Especially not after being bitchslapped by Luffy a chapter before.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Kaido is coming, motherfuckers.

50EaVhh.jpg

"STERBEN"

lol ...half dead Law continues to pull ridiculous moves. Okay chapter - as expected the Executives turned DoFla into what he is today. DoFla will be redeemed... at some point.

Well the chapter confirmed that they turned Kid Dofla into what he is today - thats all the speculation we had, not that he was secretly stronger than Dofla. Especially not after being bitchslapped by Luffy a chapter before.

I don't think they turn Don into anything the just gave him the tools he need to be a better killer.
Chapter was awesome .

"Damn roads. My knees hurt."
*Cuts to them burning down the entire city*

Lol, come on, that part was just a little ridiculous. And it's also a little bit ridiculous how Law can still pull off such moves.

Cool chapter anyway. A bit curious on Trebol still, and I wonder if Kaido is indeed coming or not.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't think they turn Don into anything the just gave him the tools he need to be a better killer.
Chapter was awesome .

He was still a kid, had no one else and his dad just got beheaded....how did you expect the story to end ? Sure he was nuts but they turned him into the current DoFla. Not every little Shithead turns naturally into a mass murder and Psycho.

"Damn roads. My knees hurt."
*Cuts to them burning down the entire city*

Lol, come on, that part was just a little ridiculous. And it's also a little bit ridiculous how Law can still pull off such moves.

Cool chapter anyway. A bit curious on Trebol still, and I wonder if Kaido is indeed coming or not.

Oda doesnt even try to hide it anymore with Law - dude will pull whatever the situation needs out of his Magic hat no mater how dead he already is. Doesnt help that he made the DoFla Executives look like Fodders in the process.

bjork

Tragic flashbacks? Doflamingo 10th SH confirmed.

The room is a cool power. I want to see this chapter in motion, I bet it's pretty cool.

Jigolo

Omg I aunt ever seen a fight like that in one piece. Closest thing would be much vs luffy.

I wonder who's gonna save those fools?

He was still a kid, had no one else and his dad just got beheaded....how did you expect the story to end ? Sure he was nuts but they turned him into the current DoFla. Not every little Shithead turns naturally into a mass murder and Psycho.

Don behead his own father he was already a Psycho plus along with everything else we have seen in past flash back .

Nibel

STERBEN
KuGsj.gif

Shout-outs to Oda for giving his German fanbase recognition
q9amnplk1a.png

As for the chapter itself.. I think it was good.

I don't agree with the assumption that it was Trebol and the others who made Flamingo evil, but that he was already evil and they just helped him reaching his full potential. And yup, ridiculous how they did everything he told them and that there was basically nobody saying 'No' to him. Pretty terrible shit if you think about it: I don't know how old Doffy is currently, but all these years he grew up around evil and doesn't know anything else than that.

Those fight scenes were great; love how Oda didn't use text bubbles and let the panels speak for themselves. But I am not exactly sure how Luffy is supposed to finish off Doffy. Sure, he lands a hit here and there, but Doffy seems to be on an equal or even higher level than him. Both have chances to win the fight, but from the looks of it it might take some time to determine who, lol.

And yeah, the highlight: Trebol getting cut by a Law who seems invincible at this point. Seeing Trebol being skinny cracked me up, and I wonder what will happen next. Considering Law still has control over the whole place, I assume he will do something against the explosion; I mean, at this point, why care at all? We all know the fight will continue anyway.

To me the most interesting part was when everybody was looking at the town; man, some completely unrelated shit will probably blow up in the next few chapters. I like the idea of Kaido showing up; I'd love to see Doffy's reaction to that.

daveo42

Banned
Good chapter. Last executive out of the way thanks to Law giving Luffy a hand.

As for DF, the executives were enablers to allow him to regain his position in the world at the top. Some of the stuff they did was insane, but I think that falls under them showing him early on he was King, especially after showing off the haoshoku haki at such an early age.

The dwarves and their reaction seem to be in response to the fall of one of the final executives and the nearing conclusion to the long period where DF and his crew had ruled the kingdom. I'm still expecting either Kaidou or Big Mom to show up soonish.

Kain

wow, just wow. Oda knows his shit, damn.

Law is amazing, and those few panels with Luffy and Doflamingo striking each other were ace.

Now as for who is coming, my guess is Big Mom, who has obviously fallen in love with Sanji, and she will be an ally. Believe.

I don't think I've ever seen an example in fiction where a character beats another with his severed arm and it wasn't the hypest thing ever

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Great one-on-one fighting! Been a while since we had some like that.
Law is just too damn broken.
You know, that's pretty clever for a Paramecia. Wrap himself up in all his material, and give off the illusion that he's an invincible Logia. Trebol's true form is hilarious.

I don't think I've ever seen an example in fiction where a character beats another with his severed arm and it wasn't the hypest thing ever

Deadly Prey (movie) Main character cuts off a guys arm and beats him to death with it.

Well count me for a lose... I really thought Trebol was going to be some kind of mastermind with a plan of his own he wanted Doffy to complete. Oh well, he'll die.

smurfx

get some go again
so i think law might use up the last of his energy saving himself and luffy but he will be out for good. although law's arm will probably be caught in the explosion since it's right next to him when trebol blew up. so i guess it will be 1 armed law from now on.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Is this the first direct clash of haoshoku haki we've seen? Plenty of dudes have simmered with it before sure, and we see it all the time used to subdue mooks or animals, but here we've got this crazy shockwave and these black lines of electricity as it looks like Luffy and Doflamingo were actually actively FIGHTING with it.

It's got me thinking, we've seen armament haki's direct application in battle, but maybe part of Luffy's training was learning to use haoshoku haki as a direct weapon against a strong foe as well. Or if it wasn't part of his training, it might be something he's starting to figure out. There could be a whole new level of attacks here that are directly haoshoku-powered.

I'm starting to wonder how this fight will turn out. I mean, yeah, Luffy will win in the end but what I wanna know is how? Doflamingo just seems like he's on a higher level, I know that was the case with the second half of the pretimeskip but this time, it just feels..different? I don't know.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Is this the first direct clash of haoshoku haki we've seen? Plenty of dudes have simmered with it before sure, and we see it all the time used to subdue mooks or animals, but here we've got this crazy shockwave and these black lines of electricity as it looks like Luffy and Doflamingo were actually actively FIGHTING with it.

It's got me thinking, we've seen armament haki's direct application in battle, but maybe part of Luffy's training was learning to use haoshoku haki as a direct weapon against a strong foe as well. Or if it wasn't part of his training, it might be something he's starting to figure out. There could be a whole new level of attacks here that are directly haoshoku-powered.

That would be really cool and would explain why guys like shanks and guys like Rayleigh & Rogers were such bad asses in a fight.

uhhh Luffy vs Chinjao?

Nibel

I can't see the picture you're quoting, but if that is the case, neat! My post still stands, just replace Doflamingo with Chinjao. Direct haoshoku combat! Pretty neat thing. Glad to see that there's a consistent effect for it, too.

Yup, the way Oda manages to create so many elements in one panel with black to white colors only is fucking mindblowing. There is so much information packed in each panel and yet you can clearly differentiate between characters, backgrounds, special effects such as dust and the black haki electricity and so on; fantastic stuff.

mmm i'm a bit bothered by the situation of DD's past. I feel it kinds of clashes with the characterization of Doflamingo, specially in moments like his speech in marineford, or the scenes of his nightmares/reading about flevance.
I don't buy that "oh, he's a monster BECAUSE: trebol, pica, vergo, diamante", that's just too simple and easy for the complexity of the character. This guy is clearly, authentically evil, and don't want to see it played like "oh he can have redemption because he was lead into that lifestyle"

It seems like it, but i kind of don't want to believe that, ironically, he is their puppet...

Whatever, Law and Trebol are out, so here it comes!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
mmm i'm a bit bothered by the situation of DD's past. I feel it kinds of clashes with the characterization of Doflamingo, specially in moments like his speech in marineford, or the scenes of his nightmares/reading about flevance.
I don't buy that "oh, he's a monster BECAUSE: trebol, pica, vergo, diamante", that's just too simple and easy for the complexity of the character. This guy is clearly, authentically evil, and don't want to see it played like "oh he can have redemption because he was lead into that lifestyle"

It seems like it, but i kind of don't want to believe that, ironically, he is their puppet...

Naw, I think he's pretty authentically evil still. Even before the executives came to him, he was spewing some truly hateful shit. All the executives did was give him the power to back up his words.

Squishy3

Law was saying that the executives have been puppets for Doflamingo the entire time, not the other way around.

Nibel

Nah, it is always said and implied that Doffy is evil and was not just turned evil. First off, Trebol refers to the young Doffy as 'unpolished diamond' which implies they recognized his already established potential and started to hang out with him.

Secondly, in the panels afterwards, it is always Trebol and the others asking what is on his mind and him saying crazy stuff like being beaten up by some punks and wishing them to die.

Could he have changed when he was kid? Maybe, but the chance was rather small. Dude killed his dad and hated people back then already; he was always evil, and his crew helped him to become even more evil and stronger. There is nothing redeemable about him at all.

Nah, it is always said and implied that Doffy is evil and was not just turned evil. First off, Trebol refers to the young Doffy as 'unpolished diamond' which implies they recognized his already established potential and started to hang out with him.

Secondly, in the panels afterwards, it is always Trebol and the others asking what is on his mind and him saying crazy stuff like being beaten up by some punks and wishing them to die.

Could he have changed when he was kid? Maybe, but the chance was rather small. Dude killed his dad and hated people back then already; he was always evil, and his crew helped him to become even more evil and stronger. There is nothing redeemable about him at all.

He did and spit nasty shit, however these 4 characters kind of built him since he was a kid after all. They "executed" these actions when there was a direct command (like the example you gave) AND when there was no direct command (burning the city because he tripped?) so i assume the reader can associate this 4 figures as "responsible" for the way this guy developed at the end. (even when some panels, like the one with DD over the rubbish and they bowing seem to tell us authority came from him, but still, he was just a child).

We still don't know if there are ulterior motives for them helping doflamingo, but i can't stop thinking he's the one being "manipulated" for something. However, it's been stated they're a "family", so maybe i'm reading too much into this, but still feels like this Doflamingo isn't the one that's been featured in the series until now.

I don't know if i'm expressing myself clearly (not my native language so i'm trying my best).

Nibel

He did and spit nasty shit, however these 4 characters kind of built him since he was a kid after all. They "executed" these actions when there was a direct command (like the example you gave) AND when there was no direct command (burning the city because he tripped?) so i assume the reader can associate this 4 figures as "responsible" for the way this guy developed at the end. (even when some panels, like the one with DD over the rubbish and they bowing seem to tell us authority came from him, but still, he was just a child).

We still don't know if there are ulterior motives for them helping doflamingo, but i can't stop thinking he's the one being "manipulated" for something. However, it's been stated they're a "family", so maybe i'm reading too much into this, but still feels like this Doflamingo isn't the one that's been featured in the series until now.

I don't know if i'm expressing myself clearly (not my native language so i'm trying my best).

I understand what you are saying and you express yourself very good (better than others), but I tend to disagree - I don't see him being manipulated. The flashback with his father showed he was an annoying brat with a lack of empathy, and instead of surrounding himself with people that might change him he met Trebol and the others who pushed his evilness even further; they didn't plant the seed, they just sprinkled water on it and took care of its growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom