• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Even though I'm a bit iffy regarding that theory, could be she fell, went into coma/lost memories, then when she woke up figured the best way to be the best swordsman was to join the marines. That and/or escape from her dad who was opposed to her pursuing the sword. Who knows!

I feel like Kuina is the deadest character in One Piece.

Why would Oda make her Tashigi anyway? We know Zoro is way stronger than her and that his whole motivation was to surpass her. Having her be Kuina completely goes against that dream as he would already be much stronger than her and having surpassed her ages ago.

Tashigi

HAS THE NAME OF A BIRD THAT CANNOT FLY (as mentioned in SBS volume 16)

SWORDSMAN

PERSONALITY: DOES NOT LIKE DEFEAT.

DARK BLUE HAIR

DARK BROWN EYES

KNOWS ZORO

AFTER THE WADO ICHIMONJI
Kuina

HAS THE NAME OF A BIRD THAT CANNOT FLY (as mentioned in SBS volume 16)

SWORDSMAN

PERSONALITY: DOES NOT LIKE DEFEAT.

DARK BLUE HAIR

DARK BROWN EYES

KNOWS ZORO

WIELDED THE WADO ICHIMONJI

lol got this from some blog but the name thing is odd is it not

The main problem with crocodile being born a woman is that it's a one panel gag not a real one piece origin story. Flash back, crocodile is a girl, lol, return to current day.

Kuina is dead and Zoro inherited her spirit.

Also child Tashigi was drawn and she doesn't look the same.

Tashigi_as_a_Child.png

Anyone else think that Issho's Gravity-based fruit is attached to the sword and not him?

I do, this is one of my favourite speculations.

I think that we will get to wano country and this will be explained. The big tell that sword abilities are not linked to devil fruit abilities is Foxfire Kin'emon who manipulates fire although he has a devil fruit ability that allows him to create costumes which has nothing to do with fire. The explanation that Brook's sword ice attacks come from his devil fruit are also more "romantic" than a solid explanation.

BARBECUE RIB BUSTER

SHISH KEBAB BACKSMASH

OPEN FACE SLAMWHICH

And now for my ultimate attack! Leg a wham Drumstick Supreme! ...Want dessert?

Oddly enough, I like 4Kidz Zoro better than the Funi one. Though I can't get over Sanji and Usopp's voices. So many days spent high as a kite watching terrible dubs.

I can't remember his technique names in the dub though.

Believe that the explanation was that she was training so hard that she didn't have the strength left to stand up when going down the stairs. But I could be remembering wrongs as it has been a long time. This is the first time I have heard that other explanation and it doesn't seem to fit in with the story at all.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At first, I was surprised there are people with nostalgia for the 4Kids dub.
Then I thought about it. The 4Kids dub began nearly 11 years ago. Someone that was 6 or 7 then are now a late teenager.
Besides, we all liked terrible shit when we were kids.

Though, I was one of those rare people that heard of One Piece before the dub aired. I read through Viz Jump back when they started. I fell off fast though. Especially when I heard they weren't doing an accurate translation and were going by 4Kids terms.
These days they're *cough* better, but I still await a new version that fixes everything.

At first, I was surprised there are people with nostalgia for the 4Kids dub.
Then I thought about it. The 4Kids dub began nearly 11 years ago. Someone that was 6 or 7 then are now a late teenager.
Besides, we all liked terrible shit when we were kids.

Though, I was one of those rare people that heard of One Piece before the dub aired. I read through Viz Jump back when they started. I fell off fast though. Especially when I heard they weren't doing an accurate translation and were going by 4Kids terms.
These days they're *cough* better, but I still await a new version that fixes everything.

I'm pretty sure my old Viz Jump was going by accurate translations for awhile before the 4Kids dub began. I don't really feel like digging them all out now though. But I also jumped into KF when Jump made it up to the Usopp arc because I couldn't wait monthly anymore so my memory may be clouded by that.

I'm nostalgic for the 4kids dub. It was how I was first exposed to One Piece and to be honest the dub gets so batshit insane I can't help but crack up when I listen to clips

BatDan

Sometimes I like to play "What the fuck would 4Kids have done?" for arcs past Alabasta

Some of what they were planning to do with Skypiea did surface. Eneru would have been "King", the four Priests would have been "Knights", and for some reason, Wyper's name was changed to "Wyler". Makes about as much sense as "Ace to Trace"

Davy Back Fight would have been easy. I mean, it's light-hearted as fuck and perfect for their demographic

Water Seven, Iceburg won't be shot, CP9's attack will be severely cut, Shigan/Finger Pistol will be something else entirely, Franky would be a whole can of worms.
Lucci would have a horrible Mario-esque Italian accent, Franky would sound like Hulk Hogan (or Schwarzenegger as that parody video demonstrated)
Franky's flashback... well Tom was taken away last we saw. They could just say he's merely in prison and not dead.

Enies Lobby: I don't even know how they could handle Robin's flashback. The Marines arrived and took everyone away and put them in dungeons? Saul is on the run forever?
Monster Chopper scenes will be severely cut down, can't make the mascot look scary.
The entirety of Nami vs Kalifa would be GONE. Rather, it will just show Nami finishing her off and that's it.

Thriller Bark: Uhh... they won't use the word "Zombies" at all. I don't know...

After this point I would assume they would give up. Slave auctions, the Celestial Dragon's actions (stealing a woman, shooting a slave, shooting Hatchan and that's just in Sabaody), Law's powers (sure his decapitation is harmless, but they would still hate it) Boa Hancock in general, the horrors of Impel Down, all of Marineford, two named characters die (with Whitebeard getting absolutely brutalized), Fishman racism, poison gas attacks, the Riku family's flashbacks (including Rebecca, Riku, and Kyros) Law's flashback...
There's a lot more I'm glossing over but I don't think they could have maintained their level of standards for long.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's about three things I like about 4 kids One Piece.

1. Pirate Rap. Still good today.
2. Zoro's VA is great.
3. Robin's VA is HILARIOUS.

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn to think the German version got away almost uncensored with One Piece, but you guys had some whacky hammer on corby's head as a threat lol.

Squishy3

Damn to think the German version got away almost uncensored with One Piece, but you guys had some whacky hammer on corby's head as a threat lol.
It's what happens when the company responsible for Pokemon and Yugioh's dubs get a hold of something with actual blood in it.

They toned down Yugioh too, but not to the extent One Piece was, as I recall.

why would you ever praise the 4kids dub in any way, shape or form

the rap (GOTTA GOOOOO GOTTA GO UH OHHHHH) and sanji's voice still give me nightmares

So they're finally changing "Wake Up", opening 18 comes this April 5th.

Hope it delivers some well animated scenes, specially of Law and Rocinante...

BatDan

Everyone should watch this
http://youtu.be/YVjgm3rSHhg

That's damn good. Thursday can't come fast enough.

It's what happens when the company responsible for Pokemon and Yugioh's dubs get a hold of something with actual blood in it.

They toned down Yugioh too, but not to the extent One Piece was, as I recall.

Yu-Gi-Oh did get toned down at some points.

One of the most memorable ones was during a Battle City duel. Yugi and his opponent had their legs trapped and buzz saws at their ankles. Every time they lost life points, the buzz saws would get closer. Obviously getting to 0 means no more standing... and death.
4Kids turned the buzz saws into "energy discs" and if they touched, your mind went to the Shadow Realm. It wasn't the only instance where "death" got replaced by "Shadow Realm"

And for some reason, they removed Yugi's mom. I don't get that...

Squishy3

That's damn good. Thursday can't come fast enough.

Yu-Gi-Oh did get toned down at some points.

One of the most memorable ones was during a Battle City duel. Yugi and his opponent had their legs trapped and buzz saws at their ankles. Every time they lost life points, the buzz saws would get closer. Obviously getting to 0 means no more standing... and death.
4Kids turned the buzz saws into "energy discs" and if they touched, your mind went to the Shadow Realm. It wasn't the only instance where "death" got replaced by "Shadow Realm"

And for some reason, they removed Yugi's mom. I don't get that...
Yeah but it's not as bad as some of the One Piece ones were.

Bandini

Lol I remember when 4kids censored the Kuina death by saying an adult who was jealous he could never beat her crippled her for life

The hell? A jealous adult crippling a kid seems a lot darker to me than an unfortunate accident... not to mention Zorro would obviously try to kill whoever did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom