• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, just realized, if Trebol is not a Logia then Usopp should've already killed him when he biffurcated him with his plant-shuriken...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Didn't whitebeard and shanks clash?

2Ns045g.png

No explicit haoshoku use tho. Unless we count the sky splitting above them as an effect.

> trips on the sidewalk
> burns the entire town to the ground

NgTSj53.png

The clash of haki between Luffy and Doffy was crazy. And that was just with their feet, too.
MVIc4ye.png

I haven't seen Luffy move like that since the Lucci fight. Spinning around with dem kicks and punches, confusing the shit out of Doffy, bruh.

But hold up.....Trebol's not a logia after all? 0_O
He must be one of the most flexible guys in the world. lol

Law using his severed arm to fuck Trebol up.
MVIc4ye.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I assume "haoshoku" is Conqueror's Haki? Because that was probably barely even decided back then in the manga.
I think just you are underestimating Oda foreshadowing, not to mention that Shanks uses his Conqueror Haki just before the Clash with Whitebeard taking out some Fodders.

Conquerers Haki has been there ever since Shanks intimidated the Sea King we just didn't have a proper term for it until later.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I assume "haoshoku" is Conqueror's Haki? Because that was probably barely even decided back then in the manga.

Well yeah, just like they didn't show armament early on. Conqueror's was definitely a thing tho, Shanks droppin fools just walking down Whitebeard's deck.

I think just you are underestimating Oda foreshadowing, not to mention that Shanks uses his Conqueror Haki just before the Clash with Whitebeard taking out some Fodders.

Conquerers Haki has been there ever since Shanks intimidated the Sea King we just didn't have a proper term for it until later.

Well yeah, just like they didn't show armament early on. Conqueror's was definitely a thing tho, Shanks droppin fools just walking down Whitebeard's deck.

Yeah absolutely, Shanks could do it ever since the beginning of the manga, but there was no word for it or not indication that it was some kind of ability that could be developed or anything. It was different. The reason why you don't see Conqueror's Haki during the Shanks vs Whitebeard clash is because it didn't exist back then.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah absolutely, Shanks could do it ever since the beginning of the manga, but there was no word for it or not indication that it was some kind of ability that could be developed or anything. It was different. The reason why you don't see Conqueror's Haki during the Shanks vs Whitebeard clash is because it didn't exist back then.

Sure, probably.

Maybe.

Kreed

The concept of Haki has always been around since Shanks, but there's no evidence that Haki and all these different forms/rules always existed in Oda's mind since One Piece's creation vs Oda coming up with new Haki ideas later and then enhancing the story with these elements (similar to Ace's tattoo going from a joke to a symbolic gesture).

Shit, just realized, if Trebol is not a Logia then Usopp should've already killed him when he biffurcated him with his plant-shuriken...

I guess it's like those "saw a lady in half" illusions with his real body contorted inside his shell.

Trebol being a paramacia makes the chapter more confusing though since we just don't know what his devil fruit can do now. Maybe his "sticky" ability actually did affect Doffy and made him more evil since abilities that control other people like the hobby fruit and the string fruit seem to be a theme of the arc. Although if he had some sort of "evil" influence over the dwarves it didn't seem to do that much. Maybe he can stick people's personalties so they don't grow and Doffy is stuck as a selfish child with no moral compass just like the dwarves are stuck as being trusting.

cw_sasuke

The concept of Haki has always been around since Shanks, but there's no evidence that Haki and all these different forms/rules always existed in Oda's mind since One Piece's creation vs Oda coming up with new Haki ideas later and then enhancing the story with these elements (similar to Ace's tattoo going from a joke to a symbolic gesture).

Of course he developed the details over time but the basic ideas were foreshadowed very long before we got actual terms for it - Shanks Conquerers Haki, Enel using Mantra, Swordmans cutting through every material etc.

Haki, the idea of Willpower enhancing fighting abilities beyond their natural limits was always a part of Odas plan imo. There was just no need to get into the details because it got only more relevant at the end of Part 1. During the East Blue adventures people freaked out when they saw DF users, this was enough to be a big shot back then...later on having a DF isnt enough to stand out and Haki is what separates the stong from the weeks in addition to base abilities.

From what the current fight is showing if the battle abilities are around the same Conquerers Haki is needed to stand up to characters that also have it. It might be a long shot but might be the deciding factor because someone like Zoro couldnt handle DoFla or Smoker/Sanji got destroyed in a couple seconds. You cant get overpowered that fast and lose all kind of momentum if you have mastered this form of Haki yourself.

Of course it also because of their base abilities and power, but the Manga seems to point into the direction that people who have mastered Conquerers Haki will only be stopped by people with the same ability. Though there will be likely be some exceptions to that rule especially depending on how Blackbeard will be displayed from now on.

I guess it's like those "saw a lady in half" illusions with his real body contorted inside his shell.

Trebol being a paramacia makes the chapter more confusing though since we just don't know what his devil fruit can do now. Maybe his "sticky" ability actually did affect Doffy and made him more evil since abilities that control other people like the hobby fruit and the string fruit seem to be a theme of the arc. Although if he had some sort of "evil" influence over the dwarves it didn't seem to do that much. Maybe he can stick people's personalties so they don't grow and Doffy is stuck as a selfish child with no moral compass just like the dwarves are stuck as being trusting.

Wut?

I don't know where you got that from.

NZerker12

Great chapter. I didn't see the trebol being a skinny ass paramecia user thing.

I am also glad to see bazooka come back,I can't even remember the last time luffy used it.

Tragic flashbacks? Doflamingo 10th SH confirmed.

The room is a cool power. I want to see this chapter in motion, I bet it's pretty cool.

Yessssss let Doflamingo be the next Strawhat member. I don't care how ridiculous and nonsensical it actually is, I need more of this character in One Piece.

Pretty decent chapter. The Haki fight was cool to see and it seems like Doflamingo and Luffy are pretty evenly matched, a first since the Lucci fight. The twist that Trebol was a Paramecia was pretty cool but I found the Law attack to be random as hell.

I'm still wondering on why the executives would give their lives to Doflamingo just because he had King's Haki. They must know others have it too so why would they put all their faith into one kid? I feel like they had ulterior motives.

cw_sasuke

Yessssss let Doflamingo be the next Strawhat member. I don't care how ridiculous and nonsensical it actually is, I need more of this character in One Piece.

Pretty decent chapter. The Haki fight was cool to see and it seems like Doflamingo and Luffy are pretty evenly matched, a first since the Lucci fight. The twist that Trebol was a Paramecia was pretty cool but I found the Law attack to be random as hell.

I'm still wondering on why the executives would give their lives to Doflamingo just because he had King's Haki. They must know others have it too so why would they put all their faith into one kid? I feel like they had ulterior motives.

Well they had access to him and he was alone...Jackpot for them. Kings Haki is very rare and finding a child that can still be somehow controlled that has the potential is luck.

If Power and Influence was their goal and DoFlas rage and immaturity was their Key to succeed.

Kater

Banned
Wait, did he really say "Sterben"? That's what that attack was called? Because that translates to "Dying". Or was that Trebol crying out in German because Law (mortally?) wounded him? :D

Wait, did he really say "Sterben"? That's what that attack was called? Because that translates to "Dying". Or was that Trebol crying out in German because Law (mortally?) wounded him? :D

Law said it.

I doubt Trebol would speak in German, let alone cry that he was dying.

cw_sasuke

Yeah its just the attack that is called sterben - cant have a Manga with an overpowered attack not having a german name xD

He has kings haki + he was kicked out of the holy land. My guess is that they figured he was the only way common folk like them would ever get up to the level of the celestial dragons, which had previously been by birth lineage. If they became his "family" than they could ride on his ambition and background to achieve more than a normal pirate crew ever could

Vecks

I just realized, why would Law have a name for an attack that requires him to spin his severed arm clutching a sword?

Law was on the ground for a while. Before making his move, he had time to carefully think about what the name would be before using it.

Zeppu

I just realized, why would Law have a name for an attack that requires him to spin his severed arm clutching a sword?

Law probably often used his powers to detach his own hand to throw it at people when they were being annoying. It's provably has the highest effectiveness and satisfaction value to pimpslap someone ever so slightly outside of your reach.

cw_sasuke

I though Law saying "He's just been using you" is enough to dispel the whole "he's not really that evil just had bad influences" thing.
Not really since it's just Laws opinion and he wasn't that long part of the crew... Doubt he knows more about their connection to each other than DoFla and the executives. You might think of DoFla what you will, but there have been a couple examples in the past showing that he cares for his "family'.

I'm starting to wonder how this fight will turn out. I mean, yeah, Luffy will win in the end but what I wanna know is how? Doflamingo just seems like he's on a higher level, I know that was the case with the second half of the pretimeskip but this time, it just feels..different? I don't know.

I sort of feel the same. Luffy has pulled quite a lot of super powerful new moves and DF has not only mostly taken them head on, he has given Luffy back harder than what he gave...This hasn't really happened this way before. DF's fruit has all sorts of other applications and he is way above Lucci physically. He is a beast.

Squishy3

Doffy isn't a puppet of the executives, Doffy is just Doffy.

He may indeed love his subordinates like they're family, but I'd say he still ultimately sees them as expendable, despite caring for them. Law explicitly says to Trebol that they're all being used by Doffy.

Doffy would surely have been able to find other allies had he not met Vergo and Trebol after getting the knowledge of the secret treasure in Mariejois.

I hope Doffy spills the beans before or after Luffy defeats him.

Harmen

Of course he developed the details over time but the basic ideas were foreshadowed very long before we got actual terms for it - Shanks Conquerers Haki, Enel using Mantra, Swordmans cutting through every material etc.

Haki, the idea of Willpower enhancing fighting abilities beyond their natural limits was always a part of Odas plan imo. There was just no need to get into the details because it got only more relevant at the end of Part 1. During the East Blue adventures people freaked out when they saw DF users, this was enough to be a big shot back then...later on having a DF isnt enough to stand out and Haki is what separates the stong from the weeks in addition to base abilities.

From what the current fight is showing if the battle abilities are around the same Conquerers Haki is needed to stand up to characters that also have it. It might be a long shot but might be the deciding factor because someone like Zoro couldnt handle DoFla or Smoker/Sanji got destroyed in a couple seconds. You cant get overpowered that fast and lose all kind of momentum if you have mastered this form of Haki yourself.

Of course it also because of their base abilities and power, but the Manga seems to point into the direction that people who have mastered Conquerers Haki will only be stopped by people with the same ability. Though there will be likely be some exceptions to that rule especially depending on how Blackbeard will be displayed from now on.

I do not think that is the case. Offcourse it might be revealed for some still, but characters like Mihawk (as strong as Shanks), Garp (fought against Roger evenly) and the Admirals/fleet commanders (near-top of the navy) are shown to be in the absolute upper power range of the series so far, and I believe at least some of them do not posses this potential (curious to see if Kaidou, Blackbeard and Momma all have it as well). Offcourse this Haki opens up some new talents and is especially effective against weaker characters (to the point of one shotting them without doing anything). But as of this moment, I do not believe this type of Haki excludes non-users from having a change of winning.

Kiru

There was something happening within the dwarves after Trebol got wounded. I like your theory lol.

Squishy3

There was something happening within the dwarves after Trebol got wounded. I like your theory lol.
They were feeling good because Trebol made the sound "Pikyaa" when Law fucked him up and that's the sound the dwarves made when he kept stomping on them and making fun of them for before God Usopp saved the day.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Doffy isn't a puppet of the executives, Doffy is just Doffy.

He may indeed love his subordinates like they're family, but I'd say he still ultimately sees them as expendable, despite caring for them. Law explicitly says to Trebol that they're all being used by Doffy.

Doffy would surely have been able to find other allies had he not met Vergo and Trebol after getting the knowledge of the secret treasure in Mariejois.

I hope Doffy spills the beans before or after Luffy defeats him.

This is shown explicitly when he has that harpy lady try and sacrifice herself just to stop the Straw Hats. That's not something a good dude would do.

Lunar15

The art during the first part of the fight was weird. I get that Oda was going for a really intense style, but part of it just kinda looked like furious scribbling.

Also, weird detail from the latest SBS

apparently Monet and Sugar are/were sisters who lived in a terrible environment and were found by Doflamingo

This is shown explicitly when he has that harpy lady try and sacrifice herself just to stop the Straw Hats. That's not something a good dude would do.

Yeah he felt bad about the fact that her and Vergo had to die, but he had no qualms about sacrificing them for his ambition and survival. They're Chess pieces, each are important and valuable, but still just pieces on a board to be played.

cw_sasuke

I do not think that is the case. Offcourse it might be revealed for some still, but characters like Mihawk (as strong as Shanks), Garp (fought against Roger evenly) and the Admirals/fleet commanders (near-top of the navy) are shown to be in the absolute upper power range of the series so far, and I believe at least some of them do not posses this potential (curious to see if Kaidou, Blackbeard and Momma all have it as well). Offcourse this Haki opens up some new talents and is especially effective against weaker characters (to the point of one shotting them without doing anything). But as of this moment, I do not believe this type of Haki excludes non-users from having a change of winning.

Thats not exactly how i meant it seeing that i agreed that there are some exceptions. All the examples you mentioned just confirm that while the non Conquerers Haki persons could keep up, they couldnt defeat the person with this kind of Haki/ break their ambitions.

Im talking about persons who have mastered this Haki like current Luffy, DoFla or Shanks. Oda wouldnt keep bringing it up in such a fight if it only point was to take out Fodder pirates... no it seems essential when taking on someone who has mastered it before getting overpowered. DoFlas ambitions are as high as Luffys. To be more clear i dont think Luffy would have been able to stop DoFla kicking Law the way he did without mastering this Haki.

Also i dont think Mihawk is a strong as Shanks tbh - doubt they never went full out against each other, the only thing we know is that they used to have training swordfights with each other and they were on par. I assume that Shanks has something else up is sleeve in addition to his sword skills that put him above.

Harmen

Thats not exactly how i meant it seeing that i agreed that there are some exceptions. All the examples you mentioned just confirm that while the non Conquerers Haki persons could keep up, they couldnt defeat the person with this kind of Haki/ break their ambitions.

Im talking about persons who have mastered this Haki like current Luffy, DoFla or Shanks. Oda wouldnt keep bringing it up in such a fight if it only point was to take out Fodder pirates... no it seems essential when taking on someone who has mastered it before getting overpowered. DoFlas ambitions are as high as Luffys. To be more clear i dont think Luffy would have been able to stop DoFla kicking Law the way he did without mastering this Haki.

Also i dont think Mihawk is a strong as Shanks tbh - doubt they never went full out against each other, the only thing we know is that they used to have training swordfights with each other and they were on par. I assume that Shanks has something else up is sleeve in addition to his sword skills that put him above.

At the moment I am still inclined to disagree.

I mean, I think a Don Chinsomething would be wrecked by many of the names I said for example, but he did show of a clear and powerful conqueror's Haki clash against Luffy (we at least know Garp wrecked him during his peak).

I think it indeed can be used as a power and there seems to be a very specific reaction when these Haki's clash, but I do think a person strong enough can block this attack regarldess. I see this type of clash more as a fierce reaction between two opposite ambitions/willpowers clashing than those kicks being unstoppable attacks for non-users.

I do not think One Piece will go the way that those who can become the real big shots are only those who got it randomly by birth with a 1:1000000 chance. Dedication, faith, the literal willpower and going against all odds were always major themes for succes in OP and I do not think (and would not like) Oda will throw that aboard. I think these themes are also why Oda went with Haki in the first place, to prevent some weak DF users to become absolutely invincible due to that power alone, and allow "normal" characters to kick their ass. It would not make sense to me to then introduce another power that does the same amongst the group of stronger people.

But yes, I agree this Haki is not only for one shotting mobs and taming animals, All users are people that have many loyal followers, I think because this type of Haki makes the people around them actually percieve their dedication/ambitions physically or something in that vein. Luffy inspired a whole army during the war and took the central spot by letting people percieve his ambition/dedication on an instant and large scale. And that is a great power for becoming a big leader.

cw_sasuke

True, but my main point was ...

if the battle abilities are around the same Conquerers Haki is needed to stand up to characters that also have it

So its more of a deciding factor if the rest is even. Of course somehow way more powerful in general wont lose just because of this Haki - all Marine Top Tiers are doing just fine without it as well as Blackbeard and Co. In their last clash Luffy wouldnt have performed as well without his willpower and Conquerors Haki thats why Trebol and Dofla are surprised...they just arent used someone being able to not crack under DoFlas pressure.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another interesting thing from the latest SBS is that Volume 23's art gallery has a picture of Smoker drawn by Kohei Horikoshi, the author of My Hero Acadamia.
Anyone have a Japanese Volume 23 to confirm?

Why am I not surprised that he answered that question? :lol

Oda will always answer penis questions.
ALWAYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom