• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUCK.

(shame on the guys who thought this would never happen)

Anyway, loved Robin and Cavendish parts in the chapter.

Also, it's the translation or luffy is kind of, talking more maturely? I feel like his dialogue is getting some content behind and he's evolving from this "shonen-main- character" (and i'd love it if it's happening).

Bad translation.

"Taisa means Captain"

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
6HR72Xx.gif

Its coming!

Nocebo

To be clear, I am happy to have seen Gear 4 mentioned in the next chapter/am looking forward to seeing what it does in two weeks (which is why I said Oda is killing me with the breaks). From past Oda's interviews, Oda has mentioned the story is about half way - 60 percent done when Punk Hazard was going on. If this is true we still have a long way to go in One Piece, so he's going to have to stretch these abilities out (no One Piece pun intended). He could have saved it for another arc or two IMO, but if there's going to be Gear 5, 6, 7, etc... then it's fine.
I hope gear 4 is flexible and can easily be built up with variations etc. Meaning Luffy needs more time to fully master it and get the maximum potential out of it. That way it can be stretched like you suggest.

Lame... I really didn't want gear 4. I wanted to see him win with all these other moves he has. At least don't use it yet. So now, either gear 4 has to win all his fights or we just wait for gear 5. Also, pure balls doing that reveal with a break next week lol.

Lame... I really didn't want gear 4. I wanted to see him win with all these other moves he has. At least don't use it yet. So now, either gear 4 has to win all his fights or we just wait for gear 5. Also, pure balls doing that reveal with a break next week lol.

Well Luffy used most of his arsenal in DD and still, nothing has happened. And, after 2 years training he actually has some good excuse and lots of time for bringing up new techniques (unlike what happened in Enies Lobby).

Luffy gears right now look useless no matter what moves he doing .
All his gear 3 attack have been block or counter easy as hell and his gear 2 attacks not doing enough damage even when they hit .
Don really is a beast .

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gaaaaah. Such a great chapter, and that megaton bomb dropped. Two weeks is what hurts the most!

And then after the next chapter comes we have to wait two weeks again because all of Jump is off after that (Goldenweek)

Lunar15

2 = faster
3 = bigger
4 = sharper? Longer? Stretchier? Louder???

While 4's an ass-pull, luffy making up random new attacks is just his thing, so I'm kind of glad this is happening. I was a little worried Oda'd just keep going with "oh, it's his old move, but now with haki...and on fire!" Luffy coming up with dumb bullshit is some of the best stuff in the series.

I do kind of hope 4 is a little silly. Those kind of reveals are my favorite.

2 = faster
3 = bigger
4 = sharper? Longer? Stretchier? Louder???

While 4's an ass-pull, luffy making up random new attacks is just his thing, so I'm kind of glad this is happening. I was a little worried Oda'd just keep going with "oh, it's his old move, but now with haki...and on fire!" Luffy coming up with dumb bullshit is some of the best stuff in the series.

I do kind of hope 4 is a little silly. Those kind of reveals are my favorite.

Gear 4 would be less of a ass pull than 2 or 3 .
This time he had 2 years to come up with it.

Lunar15

Oh, I was actually going to say that 2 and 3 were asspulls as well. All of luffy's attacks are asspulls. That's why I said I love it.

Jigolo

I think Luffy won't be steaming but on fire now. All attacks are now red hawk style

We'll see though, I think Oda is creative enough to make 4 and 5 interesting

bjork

Shame about the break. I'm not looking forward to the end of this fight so much as I am a new setting once they move on, what whatever world building happens between destinations. So much stuff to cover, it's fun to wonder what's next.

Goddamn I'm not ready for this.

I was actually pretty surprised on how resilient Doflamingo has been to Luffy's attacks. Dude's insanely tough, way more so than his crew.

I'm betting though that Luffy has been putting off using this form because it has serious repercussions. Still, I wonder how long it'll now be until Doflmaingo falls(Lucci didn't fall after Gear 3 was revealed, it took another Gear 2 change for Luffy to beat him).

OOOOOODDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
PYqilxu.gif

vd23Kkb.gif

That fucking cliffhanger...!

I was beginning to doubt if we would see Gear 4th this early, but SHIT....Oda goes for the megaton drop.

I can't wait two weeks. Everyone in Japan is going to be at Oda's door in a swarm of torches and pitchforks.

Laz-E-Boy

So this is how Oda puts Luffy on Zoro's level.

troll.png

I hope Gear 4 incorporates Conquerors Haki, I'd like to see that being more than making scrubs faint.

Squishy3

I think it's pretty obvious Gear 4 is meant for extremely close quarters combat, since Luffy won't be able to do his usual shenanigans during a fight because of the bird cage.

Gear2/3 are more range oriented, since for example Luffy beat Lucci while standing on the other side of the room, or more recently Hody and Caesar as Gear 3 examples.

I hope it's just a straight up brawl between Doffy and Luffy, which it very well could end up being since if Gear 4 makes Doffy's strings useless, he'd have to resort to physical attacks using Armament Haki.

vareon

This is why I love One Piece. Gear 4 is practically asspull, and in other manga or situations it'll get ridiculed. But the context, the situation, and the buildup right to the cliffhanger is soooo worth it. The two-week wait is going to be a torture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom