• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Luffy is gonna mold extra arms from his sides and FUCK DOFLA UP Asura's Wrath style

endless-punches-asura-s-wrath-o.gif

MCD

it better not be a gigantic slow ass luffy. I love gear 2nd because faster luffy means a more entertaining fight.

This is the man who would be pirate king. I expect nothing less of Luffy. I wonder will it be like a Kaio-ken X4 when Goku wasn't ready or if he had already been training. Either way I'm excited to see what will happen.

Nightbird

Cross-Post from the Manganews Thread:

Sad News for One Piece Fans: Due the next Issue being a Double Issue, this means that Chapter 784 will be released in 3 Weeks!

Edit: Scratch that, Imperial Bishop proved me wrong, it's gonna be a regular 2-Week wait instead of 3 Weeks!

one thing is for certain: no one's predictions of what gear 4 is will be accurate

Who knows? Someone might be close to the money.

This is why I love One Piece. Gear 4 is practically asspull, and in other manga or situations it'll get ridiculed. But the context, the situation, and the buildup right to the cliffhanger is soooo worth it. The two-week wait is going to be a torture.

I don't think that's the definition of an asspull.

This is why I love One Piece. Gear 4 is practically asspull, and in other manga or situations it'll get ridiculed. But the context, the situation, and the buildup right to the cliffhanger is soooo worth it. The two-week wait is going to be a torture.
Nah, to me this isn't much of an asspull. He's just going to have to explain why he just now decided to use it.

Sad News for One Piece Fans: Due the next Issue being a Double Issue, this means that Chapter 784 will be released in 3 Weeks!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nightbird

Harmen

Heh, Luffy will kick his ass for sure now, no help anymore.

Sooo I thought a bit about the Birdcage strategy not making any sense. My theory:

The stronger characters can escape it, but I think the threads will restore near instantly. Thus, all "weaker" characters (thus, nearly the entire population) are in danger, which is way beyond the scope the few really strong characters can handle. Sabo, Fujitora and the likes are probably trying hard but can't possibly be everywhere they are needed, since we are talking about an entire country. Pica also tried to use the scope of the country to his advantage to prevent Zoro joining the actual fights (and failed epicly). But that was different since the entire country is now in grave danger from all directions.

And on top of that I bet Doffy indeed counts on his executives being revived and the opponents being very tired (and maybe help from CP0? He did mention being able to command them, right?), for when all strong characters arive at the central point (which still takes a good while).

Lol, what an ass-pull.

But I love it.

Nah, I do not think this is an asspul (not moreso than 2 and 3). It is Luffy mastering his DF. And since his opponent is Don Flamingo, who has all kinds of unexpected uses for his DF, it makes sense for Luffy taking his a step further as well. Contrary to different super saiyan levels for example, the first two gears do have a basic theory behind them. I expect Oda to have though up something this time as well. Maybe using Haki or a combination of other body properties/techniques.

Love it as well :) Fire would be lame though. Sanji already has DF-less flame moves and Sabo has the fire fruit already. Hope it is not Luffy going full giant or Vergo as well.

What does a double issue mean? Will we get two chapters worth of OP material? Or...?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What does a double issue mean? Will we get two chapters worth of OP material? Or...?

Double Issues of Jump are released to cover weeks off. Like Goldenweek or Christmas.

Isn't the double issue for issue 22/23?

The newest one is issue 20, which means 784 will be in issue 22/23.

Actually, the double issue is 21-22. It looks like there was a mistranslation on the scan pages.

Harmen

it better not be a gigantic slow ass luffy. I love gear 2nd because faster luffy means a more entertaining fight.

No way that would be effective against Doffy. As of now Luffy has way too many openings, Doffy said himself. A big slow Luffy is not going to solve that problem.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
2 weeks I better than 3! Damn! I was spoiled in the Treasure Cruise thread, so I couldn't be as hyped/surprised at the end, but still cool. Curious to see what it could be.

Nightbird

Korosenai

It'll definitely be Luffy bulking up and getting stronger using haki or something (like Vergo, or going super saiyan). The whole emphasis so far in this fight is that Luffy is "weak" and isn't hurting Doflamingo. Doflamingo his self even said this, and Luffy is throwing every attack he has at Doflamingo to no avail.

Logically, all of the signs point to that happening, but with Oda you never know what might happen.

pelicansurf

Maybe it's just "Rifle Mode". His limbs are constantly spinning a la Sanji and maybe even fire or whatever too, and everything hurts like hell. He can be way more jump-y/dodge-y/random (like the spring dude he just beat) and the average attack will have the potency of a rifle attack even at close range. Add Haki/G3 combos into the mix for the lulz. The negatives are pretty obvious as well.

You're welcome, Oda.

the last panels with Zoro / Usopp and the one with the Tontattas seem suspicious. Wonder what's up. Fujitora hasn't been shown, either.

And Koala and Sabo are somewhere against X opponent...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Guys why is Gear 3 even as strong as it is, all Luffy's doing is increasing the surface area of his hits. They shouldn't actually get any STRONGER. He's just filling his hands with air! It should be no different than Usopp's hammer!

Guys why is Gear 3 even as strong as it is, all Luffy's doing is increasing the surface area of his hits. They shouldn't actually get any STRONGER. He's just filling his hands with air! It should be no different than Usopp's hammer!

Have you ever been hit in the face with a tire?

Shit hurts, man. lol

pelicansurf

the last panels with Zoro / Usopp and the one with the Tontattas seem suspicious. Wonder what's up. Fujitora hasn't been shown, either.

And Koala and Sabo are somewhere against X opponent...
I think they're running away from the cage or herding people back to the underground. Unless the strings are underground too.

I think you're on the money, but his "strength" remains the same. Luffy is strong as shit and his regular sized hand will make a hole in the ground. Imagine multiplying the surface area. It will hit hard in a much larger radius. IE getting hit with a brick vs. getting hit by a brick wall.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think you're on the money, but his "strength" remains the same. Luffy is strong as shit and his regular sized hand will make a hole in the ground. Imagine multiplying the surface area. It will hit hard in a much larger radius. IE getting hit with a brick vs. getting hit by a brick wall.

Yeah but not really. The force behind it will be the same. Which means the impact is actually being spread out over a wider area, and thus lessened. If a Gear 3 fist hits your whole body it's like taking the impact of a single fist and spreading it equally, diminishing its power. Easier to hit with, but weaker since the force is distributed. And probably kinda pillowey since it's rubber filled with air.

A normal punch that could go through the ground should reasonably bounce off it instead if it's been inflated and widened, not make a bigger hole. Unless that initial punch was SO strong that even making it 10x weaker would still be strong enough to penetrate. But that's definitely not what we see, we see powerful punches with a multiplication of force, instead of a division.

ODA!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gear 3 is Luffy using cartoon physics to increase the mass of his arm so that he can also increase the force of his hits.

Majukun

Yeah but not really. The force behind it will be the same. Which means the impact is actually being spread out over a wider area, and thus lessened. If a Gear 3 fist hits your whole body it's like taking the impact of a single fist and spreading it equally, diminishing its power. Easier to hit with, but weaker since the force is distributed. And probably kinda pillowey since it's rubber filled with air.

A normal punch that could go through the ground should reasonably bounce off it instead if it's been inflated and widened, not make a bigger hole. Unless that initial punch was SO strong that even making it 10x weaker would still be strong enough to penetrate. But that's definitely not what we see, we see powerful punches with a multiplication of force, instead of a division.

ODA!!!
yeah,g3 never made much sense on a real physics standpoint..but you know what they said about real physics in shounen mangas

that being said..i's not "pillowey" because it's the bone itself that is being inflated

as what makes more damage..it depends..one is lesser area damaged,but more strenghth behind the attack..the other is a much wider area but less impact..one will damage multiple parts of the body of the opponent,while the other would make more damage to one single part.

Such a necessary way to have Luffy give it his all, but now we know that there is no way in hell the current Straw Hats can stand up to the Four Kings, having this much trouble against Doflamingo. I'm sure their crews have Doflamingo-level people. I'm sure Luffy will wipe the floor with Doffy but the trouble he's had up until now has me worried as we head deeper into the New World.

Kaido
is definitely next.

WAIT THREE WEEKS!?!?!!?

Bandini

Mass + acceleration = force. So it's gonna have more power simply by being bigger. Also doesn't Luffy also use a bone hardening technique with Gear Third? Seems like maybe he is packing a lot of air into a relatively small space.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Mass + acceleration = force. So it's gonna have more power simply by being bigger. Also doesn't Luffy also use a bone hardening technique with Gear Third? Seems like maybe he is packing a lot of air into a relatively small space.

That's the thing, though. There isn't any more mass. There's only the air he blew inside. It's like hitting someone with a deflated balloon and then an inflated balloon. Hell, he literally calls it Bone Balloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom