• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJwest

This is why I love One Piece. Gear 4 is practically asspull, and in other manga or situations it'll get ridiculed. But the context, the situation, and the buildup right to the cliffhanger is soooo worth it. The two-week wait is going to be a torture.
He had more than 2 years to create a new Gear, how is it an asspull? Until Doflamingo, he simply hadn't met an opponent worth using this against. I can't wait to see it, Oda-sama! But how come Doflamingo isn't able to control Luffy like a puppet like he did during the WhiteBeard war?

Zeppu

I don't understand why anyone would call this an ass-pull. Oda's never bored us to death with endless training arcs.

We did get the intro to a huge training arc and then immediately got a time skip. We know the crew spent two years training so why would it surprise anyone that he's come up with something else to enhance his devil fruit powers rather than just focus solely on improving his haki?

Lunar15

I don't understand why anyone would call this an ass-pull. Oda's never bored us to death with endless training arcs.

We did get the intro to a huge training arc and then immediately got a time skip. We know the crew spent two years training so why would it surprise anyone that he's come up with something else to enhance his devil fruit powers rather than just focus solely on improving his haki?

It's an ass pull, but who cares, it's one piece, it's all ass pulls and they're always great. I do like that oda doesn't show the training and just makes up crazy stuff on the spot.

Like, if this is really that powerful of a move and he learned it over the timeskip, why didn't he pull it out in order to destroy Noah and keep it from falling on Fishman Island? It's totally made up on the spot, but that's just what Luffy does. I always love it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
While some people (one person in particular) are quite critical of the way characters in One Piece produce attacks as if from nowhere, I actually really like it. In comparison, in Naruto we see in great detail the conception and training for virtually every technique. Naruto has a strong focus on the character's growth as an individual though, it's about Him, about his learning, his personal journey. One Piece, on the other hand, is more about the overall journey, and what happens along the way. We kind of just trust that, yes, these people are training themselves on their own time, and we don't need it spelled out every step of the way. Whenever we see them on their ship they're always improving themselves in this or that capacity, Zoro lifting 400 ton weights, Usopp and Franky inventing things, etc. The timeskip of course is the biggest opportunity for this yet, where we see that they're all clearly improving themselves, but we aren't spoiled on exactly what they've done.

And so in something like Naruto the fights are all "wait for him to use that technique we know about." Whereas in One Piece, you never know exactly how a fight is gonna go. It's a very different focus on how the battles play out, it's not that they're "ass-pulling" techniques, it's that we're put in the same place as their enemies. We don't know what they can do, and really any fighter worth a damn isn't going to just let you know everything they can do until they do it. It makes them all feel more adult, more confident, more secure in their ability to fight.

That's the thing, though. There isn't any more mass. There's only the air he blew inside. It's like hitting someone with a deflated balloon and then an inflated balloon. Hell, he literally calls it Bone Balloon.

A better eg would be a tire cause you can bet luffy fist not as soft as a balloon .

While some people (one person in particular) are quite critical of the way characters in One Piece produce attacks as if from nowhere, I actually really like it. In comparison, in Naruto we see in great detail the conception and training for virtually every technique. Naruto has a strong focus on the character's growth as an individual though, it's about Him, about his learning, his personal journey. One Piece, on the other hand, is more about the overall journey, and what happens along the way. We kind of just trust that, yes, these people are training themselves on their own time, and we don't need it spelled out every step of the way. Whenever we see them on their ship they're always improving themselves in this or that capacity, Zoro lifting 400 ton weights, Usopp and Franky inventing things, etc. The timeskip of course is the biggest opportunity for this yet, where we see that they're all clearly improving themselves, but we aren't spoiled on exactly what they've done.

And so in something like Naruto the fights are all "wait for him to use that technique we know about." Whereas in One Piece, you never know exactly how a fight is gonna go. It's a very different focus on how the battles play out, it's not that they're "ass-pulling" techniques, it's that we're put in the same place as their enemies. We don't know what they can do, and really any fighter worth a damn isn't going to just let you know everything they can do until they do it. It makes them all feel more adult, more confident, more secure in their ability to fight.

It's like zoro said during the cp9 arc every island they fight so you expect them to learn things or get better along the way .

That's the thing, though. There isn't any more mass. There's only the air he blew inside. It's like hitting someone with a deflated balloon and then an inflated balloon. Hell, he literally calls it Bone Balloon.

How much muscle force did Zoro need to lift a building in Alabasta?

Cause he did that.

4029205-zorohouse.png

It's an ass pull, but who cares, it's one piece, it's all ass pulls and they're always great. I do like that oda doesn't show the training and just makes up crazy stuff on the spot.

Like, if this is really that powerful of a move and he learned it over the timeskip, why didn't he pull it out in order to destroy Noah and keep it from falling on Fishman Island? It's totally made up on the spot, but that's just what Luffy does. I always love it.

It could simple be that gear 3 was better fit for that job or it has a bigger draw back since gear 2 or 3 don't effect luffy anymore .
Best to see what gear 4 is before making those claims .

If he's bringing out Gear 4 now, he's going to be using it in every future fight.

It's easy to forget that One Piece is a WSJ serial, but it's not above the standard shonen power up tropes. Of course he's going to use his new power going forward, Big Mom's waiting for him, then Kaido, then Blackbeard.

Chapter was okay, it kind of felt like a lot of setup without a payoff, a recurring theme in this entire arc that deflates my excitement the more it happens. 'here's why we are fighting, have some 2-panel flashbacks!' for page after page wore thin a long time ago, I read One Piece to watch Luffy actually punch things.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I definitely think Kaido is before Big Mom

Big Mom already jumped the Sunny and is currently trying to blow it up, remember? She's totally next.

It's cartoon physics, you and I know it doesn't work that way but Luffy doesn't and that is what matters here.

Grexeno

Big Mom already jumped the Sunny and is currently trying to blow it up, remember? She's totally next.

It's cartoon physics, you and I know it doesn't work that way but Luffy doesn't and that is what matters here.
But everything from Punk Hazard on has been about taking out Kaido.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
A better eg would be a tire cause you can bet luffy fist not as soft as a balloon.

Sure. I bet if you took a tire and inflated it to like 20x its size, ala Gear 3, it wouldn't hurt nearly as much if you threw it at me.

How much muscle force did Zoro need to lift a building in Alabasta?

Cause he did that.

shhhh

Obv. People gotta stop giving me real responses.

I like the idea, though, that it only works because Luffy doesn't know it shouldn't. Ala Wile E Coyote falling only after he realizes he's no longer on the cliff.

This is why I love One Piece. Gear 4 is practically asspull, and in other manga or situations it'll get ridiculed. But the context, the situation, and the buildup right to the cliffhanger is soooo worth it. The two-week wait is going to be a torture.

Precisely. Can't wait to see what'll happen with this.

I just want to clarify that there is a difference between coming up with moves on the fly and cut-and-dry ass-pulls.

Such a necessary way to have Luffy give it his all, but now we know that there is no way in hell the current Straw Hats can stand up to the Four Kings, having this much trouble against Doflamingo. I'm sure their crews have Doflamingo-level people. I'm sure Luffy will wipe the floor with Doffy but the trouble he's had up until now has me worried as we head deeper into the New World.

Kaido
is definitely next.

WAIT THREE WEEKS!?!?!!?

This. It's really worrying. Maybe the alliance starts to act sooner rather than later, they need Bartolomeo, Cavendish, and many more if they want to stand a chance against the Emperors. I wonder if we'll have some dynamic changes on how the story is being told from now on, but the SH sure aren't enough for what lies in the New World...

(Though i really want to see them pushed to their limits, everyone needs to be useful and stand on their own ground, from luffy to Brook)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My favorite arc as far as awesome battle teamwork was definitely thriller bark. All the non-Luffy's worked together, combined attacks and specialties, to beat a giant monster. They constantly kept switching up what characters were working together too, it was great.

I wish there was more of that interspersed with the badass 1v1s.

Dragun619

Ah yea, Gear 4 hype!

But man, I hope this form turns out be hella good. Already expecting some awesome haki form, but I'm also expecting some sort of silly ass form too. Like maybe like Luffy shrinking himself or some shit like that, haha.

Harmen

Ah yea, Gear 4 hype!

But man, I hope this form turns out be hella good. Already expecting some awesome haki form, but I'm also expecting some sort of silly ass form too. Like maybe like Luffy shrinking himself or some shit like that, haha.

Haha, watch Gear 4 be Luffy using and mastering the concept of the previous random side effect of Gear 3.

You know, I would actually like that and since we already saw Luffy in that state, it would have a sense of familiarity.

Sure. I bet if you took a tire and inflated it to like 20x its size, ala Gear 3, it wouldn't hurt nearly as much if you threw it at me.

shhhh

Obv. People gotta stop giving me real responses.

I like the idea, though, that it only works because Luffy doesn't know it shouldn't. Ala Wile E Coyote falling only after he realizes he's no longer on the cliff.

Heh, still going to try an overly serious one for you:

-High air pressure inside his bone rubber, leading to a harder surface of his fists than normal. If this is the case, gear 3 fists are able to transmit more of the impact force of the blow (which would be comparable to hitting a solid wall due to his fist size). On the other hand, in the case of less "solid" fists there could be a slight trampoline effect, which adds to launching enemies/objects instead (think baseball bats here, solid ones perform way worse than the light ones filled with air). Hell, theoretically Luffy could even be able to play around with this, by varying with air volume/tension.

-If Luffy does compress the air in his body: air is light, but can still add significantly to the total weight of his arms (average density would decrease overall, though). Just look at wearable diving tanks for reference, which can differ a several kg's before and after diving. I think the mass of a 12 liter cilinder can increase somewhere around 5kg/11 pounds on land when filled, Luffys gear 3 arms are way, way bigger than 12 liter.

How does luffy inject this much air quickly and close the gap of his bite? Weeell, cartoon laws and Devil Fruit magic offcourse :p Air is weird in OP anyways, since there is a huge natural Sky Island with floating solid clouds. Aaand post-time skip I will also add willpower magic to the logical equation, which will be OP's nanomachines from now on.

Yeeaah.... I know ;) Oda did not think about it on this level and my science is not flawless, but my mind always goes filling plot holes as much possible, heh

Navid

Have to say I kinda wish taking out Doflamingo had come down to a group effort with all the Strawhats and Law having beaten their counterparts just ganging up on him and showing how much close-knit their family is than his... instead it seems like it will once again be very much a solo effort by Luffy.

These types of 1v1 fights made sense when everyone else where preoccupied with their own battles or too exhausted to be of help, but right now it feels a bit like a few of them are just sitting at the sidelines watching for no good reason.

I just don't see Luffy partying with half his crew still gone.

They'll use magic healing girls powers to get back into fighting shape (and Zoro isn't even wounded) and head right out.

Just finished the chapter, hooooooooooooooooly shit was that hype. Oda is the best.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I just don't see Luffy partying with half his crew still gone.

They'll use magic healing girls powers to get back into fighting shape (and Zoro isn't even wounded) and head right out.

Just finished the chapter, hooooooooooooooooly shit was that hype. Oda is the best.

He'll party all the way to them =p

he gotta eat meat.

Grexeno

Reading Volume 74, interesting note about the Blackbeard Pirates: Blackbeard "is supported by" the Ten Giant Captains. Meaning 10 people besides Blackbeard. After Marineford, there were only 9 other members of the Blackbeard Pirates (Stronger doesn't count, he is a horse.) Therefore, one more person was added to the Blackbeard Pirates after the timeskip who we haven't seen yet.

And so, we can basically be sure that two more people will join the Straw Hats so that we get a 1v1 for every member of both crews in the final battle.

Harmen

Have to say I kinda wish taking out Doflamingo had come down to a group effort with all the Strawhats and Law having beaten their counterparts just ganging up on him and showing how much close-knit their family is than his... instead it seems like it will once again be very much a solo effort by Luffy.

These types of 1v1 fights made sense when everyone else where preoccupied with their own battles or too exhausted to be of help, but right now it feels a bit like a few of them are just sitting at the sidelines watching for no good reason.

I feel like Doffy would rip Robin, Franky, Cabbage and the likes to shreds within an instant if he tried (look how he almost destroyed Sanji in a just few moves) and use some of the weaker crew members similar to Bellamy.

Sabo can solo Doffy I think. Zoro could help and Ussop would be safe and useful with his long range, but those characters are not exactly in near proximity now, right? (aside from Ussop, do they even know what went down on the castle as of now?).

Reading Volume 74, interesting note about the Blackbeard Pirates: Blackbeard "is supported by" the Ten Giant Captains. Meaning 10 people besides Blackbeard. After Marineford, there were only 9 other members of the Blackbeard Pirates (Stronger doesn't count, he is a horse.) Therefore, one more person was added to the Blackbeard Pirates after the timeskip who we haven't seen yet.

And so, we can basically be sure that two more people will join the Straw Hats so that we get a 1v1 for every member of both crews in the final battle.

Burgess was talking about Aokiji when he saw Luffy and Rebecca. I'm betting it's him pulling a double cross.

I feel like they did do that though, because the Strawhats and allies won.

Odd offered the narrative excuse by Rebecca that they didn't want to get too close for fear of collateral damage and too themselves.

Lunar15

I just want to clarify that there is a difference between coming up with moves on the fly and cut-and-dry ass-pulls.

Eh, it's semantics. Gear 2 and 3 were ass pulls, but they're also two of the most memorable moments in the series for me.

There was no build up, no reasonable explanation that they'd just show up then and there. But they did, and they were great, and it worked. Luffy just pulls stuff out of his ass.

I get what you're saying, and I don't fully disagree. All of luffy's abilities come from the powers we're well aware of. But from the writer's standpoint, this stuff is just coming out of nowhere. It's great though, I truly do love it. It's not a bad thing. It's not power levels, it's just new ways of using abilities, and that's great.

Either way, I'll stop talking about it since we're ultimately in agreement here: This chapter was fucking awesome.

Bandini

Gear Second wasn't an ass pull. It was Luffy learning from opponents who were, at the time, stronger than him. He took the abilities that beat him and re imagined them in his own style. Gear Third... ok, but Luffy always has idiotic ideas for fighting that somehow work.

Gear Fourth is something he's developed in the 2 years where he had only to worry about his own progress in battle prowess. It's pretty much the opposite of an ass pull really. Just needed a worthy opponent to bring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom