• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, these things are already happening in the Manga, it's just that there are no flashy battles to back it up. That's the angle that I'm taking here, not that I disagree with you, but that the lack of flashy battles making it so Women are oppressed just seems odd. There are girls who are portrayed as weak, but there are TONS of dudes who are equally as weak in the series. That's all I got.

I'd agree with your point if maybe there were a more equal distribution of gender in atleast the pirate field. I'd maybe agree with your point if the fights women were in were depicted in the same tone that most men's fights are. If there were legends about badass women the same frequency there are of men, I'd atleast give your position consideration.

But we never see any of this. We never hear of any of this. We're told that some women are competent, but even that competence that is stated is paltry compared to the accomplishments we've both seen and heard of other men. Tagashi can deflect a cannon, oh wow... So what, our characters have laughed off cannons since pretimeskip. She has haki. So do most people nowadays, and hers seems worse than everyone elses. I don't think that makes her competent. It's like saying Krillan is badass because he's the strongest human alive. I mean, yeah, true, but who cares when everyone inhuman is several magnitudes above that. Are you going to believe what you're told or what you see? In the context of the field they are in, Tagashi is not competent. Every time she appears, she's outclassed. It'd be nice if she were the only one like this, but no women are potrayed as being on equal terms with men except big mom thus far, who has a grand total of one scene.

The thing about representation is that it's not about any one person. There can be a ton of dudes portrayed as weak when there are also a ton of dudes portrayed as strong. Because of that, them being male isn't an indicator of anything. They might be weak, or strong. With women, jsut because their female, I automatically know they are not going to be contenders for anything, specifically because their women. Because no matter how strong they may be on their resume, OP consistantly shows they can't (for one reason or another) be real equals to men.

360pages

I'll be honest, I still think Crocodile was one of the most intimidating villains in the series. I think he carried himself far better than a lot of Post-Time skip bad guys. Even Doffy seems more OP than threatening. Though I still like Doffy's design.

Magwik

Banned
Veelk! Didn't know you read One Piece! <3
Always nice to see your debates that last pages :p

I liked Crocodile the best as well. I love Doffy too though.

Oda is totally going the crocodile way and will "redeem" DD later. (If he doesn't get killed by Kaidou, though).

Hard to imagine, since Crocodile was implied to have once been an idealist who wanted to be Pirate King but grew cynical the more he stayed in the new world. Doffy has been trouble since he was a kid.

You think they will ever explain what happened to Moriah?

Pretty sure Oda confirmed that Absalom saved him. As for his future relevance we'll have to see.

Tuck

I'd agree with your point if maybe there were a more equal distribution of gender in atleast the pirate field. I'd maybe agree with your point if the fights women were in were depicted in the same tone that most men's fights are. If there were legends about badass women the same frequency there are of men, I'd atleast give your position consideration.

But we never see any of this. We never hear of any of this. We're told that some women are competent, but even that competence that is stated is paltry compared to the accomplishments we've both seen and heard of other men. Tagashi can deflect a cannon, oh wow... So what, our characters have laughed off cannons since pretimeskip. She has haki. So do most people nowadays, and hers seems worse than everyone elses. I don't think that makes her competent. It's like saying Krillan is badass because he's the strongest human alive. I mean, yeah, true, but who cares when everyone inhuman is several magnitudes above that. Are you going to believe what you're told or what you see? In the context of the field they are in, Tagashi is not competent. Every time she appears, she's outclassed. It'd be nice if she were the only one like this, but no women are potrayed as being on equal terms with men except big mom thus far, who has a grand total of one scene.

The thing about representation is that it's not about any one person. There can be a ton of dudes portrayed as weak when there are also a ton of dudes portrayed as strong. Because of that, them being male isn't an indicator of anything. They might be weak, or strong. With women, jsut because their female, I automatically know they are not going to be contenders for anything, specifically because their women. Because no matter how strong they may be on their resume, OP consistantly shows they can't (for one reason or another) be real equals to men.

If you focus solely on the fights, this is pretty much true. I agree.

That said, when looking at the overall picture, I wouldn't say its entirely correct because theres more to a character than just fighting ability. Both Robin and Nami (Nami in particular) are critical members of the crew. Luffy would not have gotten anywhere without her, and they all know it.

Certainly though, I'd like to see more women having meaningful fights.

Veelk

Banned
If you focus solely on the fights, this is pretty much true. I agree.

That said, when looking at the overall picture, I wouldn't say its entirely correct because theres more to a character than just fighting ability. Both Robin and Nami (Nami in particular) are critical members of the crew. Luffy would not have gotten anywhere without her, and they all know it.

Certainly though, I'd like to see more women having meaningful fights.

For the hundredth time, the argument I am making has nothing to do with whatever else Oda has female characters doing. The discrepancy in power exists whether you are looking at fights or political positions. It's the way the entire manga that is framed. That Nami can go do other stuff isn't relevant. it's that WOMEN, the entire female representation, the entire vagina population, are radically disempowered compared to men. It is a GROUP dynamic, not an individual one.

Again, Naruto is the perfect counter example to this. Is a medic ninja useful to the group? Of course. Does that mean relegating an overwhelming number of females to that position isn't sexist? No, because you are stereotyping the female population into one generalization, when within the universe there is no reason they shouldn't be fulfiling roles as varied as men, or getting as much spotlight as them. They make a difference, yes, many characters wouldn't have survived with female medics healing them. But that there is such a discrepancy based on gender makes it sexist, and no commentary is made on it by the narrative.

It's good that women have a genuine role in the story, but it's not having A role, it's about what kind of role they have in aggregate. The answer, if you want a sexist free world, it 'one identical to men'. In OP, this doesn't happen.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's good that women have a genuine role in the story, but it's not having A role, it's about what kind of role they have in aggregate. The answer, if you want a sexist free world, it 'one identical to men'. In OP, this doesn't happen.
3221367557_1_14_NYHGK2LV.jpg

There you go

Veelk

Banned
3221367557_1_14_NYHGK2LV.jpg

There you go

For the hundredth time, the argument I am making has nothing to do with whatever else Oda has female characters doing. The discrepancy in power exists whether you are looking at fights or political positions. It's the way the entire manga that is framed. That Nami can go do other stuff isn't relevant. it's that WOMEN, the entire female representation, the entire vagina population, are radically disempowered compared to men. It is a GROUP dynamic, not an individual one.

Oda is totally going the crocodile way and will "redeem" DD later. (If he doesn't get killed by Kaidou, though).

Nah, I don't see it. The two are set up differently.

Like, Crocodile caused one failed civil war and a drought, but Doffy causes wars all over the place, is behind weapons of mass destruction, enslaves people, etc.

Big One

Banned
DD is much more evil than Crocodile ever was. Really the only major evil thing Crocodile has ever done in his life, as far as we know, is oppress the people of Alabasta. After that, he tried to kill Whitebeard to get the bounty on his head? Ok?

Dofla is so much more vile than that.

Veelk

Banned
This just turned into what Veelk wants the manga to be instead of actual sexism. Show's over, folks.
I'm not sure what this means. If it turned into what I wanted the manga to be, there are HUNDREDS of other changes to implement, to the point where I'd just scrap the entire project and let it be.

I'm not saying anything about how OP 'should' be. The entire time I've merely been arguing that there is no reason that, given how fantastically unbound by real world physics to any extent OP is, women should be in any way less capable of anything men can do. I merely been arguing what OP should not be: sexist.

If you're talking about it being purely without sexism, I guess that'd be cool, but that's not even what I'm calling for. People just seem confused as to what sexism means, by suggesting that nami being good at whatever is counterevidence of the sexism of OP's world, when that's not what it's about so I'm trying to make it plain in the clearest possible terms. As I said before, I wouldn't mind a discrepancy so much if it were atleast commented on being bullshit. If you want to say this is me preaching what OP should be rather than "actual sexism" (whatever in hell that means), fine, but in that case, I defy you to point out any issue that cannot be waved away as something that the complainer proposing what the subject 'should be'.

"Waiter, my chicken is undercooked to the point of being raw! I could get salmonella from it!"

"Sir, you're just complaining about what the chicken SHOULD be, not actual cooking. Show is over, sir. "

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, Crocodile has an empathetic side to him. He wanted to be Pirate King and failed, leading to the jaded, scheming man we met in Alabasta. The scene where he attacks Whitebeard is where we can see some of his original enthusiasm. The way he's treated as a rookie by WB also helps us see him in a positive light.

Croc is still a jerk for sure, and he's not really ever going to be "redeemed" or a full on good guy. But he has a very human side to him that Doffy does not.

So, it's sexist because the manga is framed that way, but when there's exceptions, they don't count. Your argument doesn't make any sense. What you're saying is that you want a super powerful female character. I can see a bit of a gender gap, there, but you're playing it up so that this male/female disparity in Zoro-strength powerhouses represents sexism as a whole. It's more like an authorial flaw on Oda's part. The argument that women are well represented elsewhere DOES mean something. Your argument is much more specific and is claiming to be broader than it actually is. An apple tree missing a few apples is still an apple tree. Suggesting that Nami being good at whatever is counterevidence of the sexism of OP's world. Does it destroy the argument against sexism fully? No... but it's not being wholly sexist at the same time, either. Everyone has pretty much agreed with you that there are problems, but you seem intent on showing us that these are HUGE problems that REALLY MATTER no matter WHAT exceptions there are. Nobody disagreed with you in the first place, man. We all know OP could portray women better, but our arguments still hold weight.

On the other hand, the same way Oda was all "Women can be great as long as they're men!", the fact that the only female characters are that seem to play on men's terms are ones that look more like monsters than women is a problem. It identifies feminine features as inherently weak, so if a woman doesn't have them, that must mean she's strong.
So you want them to look feminine, but strong, but not manly strong? What do you even want?

Squishy3

I can't wait for when we inevitably see the characters involved in Luffy's jailbreak again in the New World, haven't even seen a glimpse of Buggy since he got the letter to become a Warlord.

360pages

Yeah, Crocodile has an empathetic side to him. He wanted to be Pirate King and failed, leading to the jaded, scheming man we met in Alabasta. The scene where he attacks Whitebeard is where we can see some of his original enthusiasm. The way he's treated as a rookie by WB also helps us see him in a positive light.

Croc is still a jerk for sure, and he's not really ever going to be "redeemed" or a full on good guy. But he has a very human side to him that Doffy does not.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a crew like Luffy who got restless or gave up looking for One Piece and slowly ditched him leaving him completely alone.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

So, it's sexist because the manga is framed that way, but when there's exceptions, they don't count. Your argument doesn't make any sense. What you're saying is that you want a super powerful female character. I can see a bit of a gender gap, there, but you're playing it up so that this male/female disparity in Zoro-strength powerhouses represents sexism as a whole. It's more like an authorial flaw on Oda's part. The argument that women are well represented elsewhere DOES mean something. Your argument is much more specific and is claiming to be broader than it actually is. An apple tree missing a few apples is still an apple tree. Suggesting that Nami being good at whatever is counterevidence of the sexism of OP's world. Does it destroy the argument against sexism fully? No... but it's not being wholly sexist at the same time, either. Everyone has pretty much agreed with you that there are problems, but you seem intent on showing us that these are HUGE problems that REALLY MATTER no matter WHAT exceptions there are. Nobody disagreed with you in the first place, man. We all know OP could portray women better, but our arguments still hold weight.

So you want them to look feminine, but strong, but not manly strong? What do you even want?

You have perfectly explained what I gave up on trying to portray to Veelk. You're a good guy.

Veelk

Banned

I feel we might have lost the forest through the trees in the minutae in the arguments, so I'll reclarify.

I am talking about the portrayal of power and strength within the series in the group dynamic sense. Even if you can find exceptions, the issue I am addressing is that this is a rule in the first place. It's not that they don't count, it's that they are exceptions at all.

But I do accept exceptions as exceptions. I just don't count Nami as one. I mean, it is good that she isn't just window decoration for fanservice and contributes to the group, but she's not a strong character within the context of how men are portrayed, which is the umbrage I am talking with the series. I am not even talking about Zoro levels of strength. Forget about that. Lets take a character more in Nami's weight class and look to how they're portrayed: Usopp and Chopper are often portrayed as being some of the weaker members as well, with Usopp flat out pointed out to be the weakest member of the OP crew. But when it comes to fights, he actually gets into physical confrontations and is portrayed in fights to a similar manner as that of Zoro, in being a warrior. Chopper can't fight on his own, but he takes rumble candy to get take different forms. Usopp has to use his wits to win, but fights.

Despite Usopp's weakness and Chopper's primary role to serve as a doctor, they're physically strong characters who participate in fights. They are still portrayed like pretty much any other male character in the series. They get in fights, they rek, they get rekt, they muscle out, they survive, they sometimes lose, sometimes win. They fight. In this sense, I feel that Nami and Robin have no excuse to be in the background as frequently as they are. Nami is good as a navigator, but there's no reason she shouldn't be a warrior as well. She has her weather abilities, and she can probably get creative with that. But for some reason this doesn't happen. Nor with Robin, who is an assassin with experience fighting and a powerful DF. This doesn't happen with most females, even if they are supposed to be strong according to the text. If they fight, it's usually against mooks, or else they get their ass kicked, and they're certainly never in a prolonged or brutal fight. There's always some excuse or another why they can't or won't compete in the same way. So, no, Nami isn't an exception to what I am talking about at all, because that she can navigate has absolutely nothing to do with my argument I am pushing. It was never "OP portrays women as useless", but "powerless".

If there is an true exception so far, Big Mom might be an it, since she is a Yonko and ought to step up and fight straight up, but we haven't seen that happen yet. I hope I've clarified the issue. I don't want a zoro level strong female character. I want a bunch of Zoro level strong female characters, a bunch of Usopp level characters, and everything above and below and inbetween. The women should be as varied as men. And I want them to get involved in the same way guys do. This sexism thing isn't about any one character, but the group as a whole.

I did say I was on the fence about her, did I not? And I am merely commenting on how monster women are treated as being more okay to hit more in combat with men. Alvida, for example, was punched in the face when she was fat and ugly, but untouched when she became pretty. I don't even know how you got me saying I didn't want her to be 'manly strong', as I didn't imply anything of the sort. I was just saying that by this paradigm, the loss of feminine features in character design seem to signify strength and are okay to hit. If OP became a series where you can hit women, but only if they're ugly, that'd be a problem too. I'm just saying that monsterous looking women shouldn't be the only ones who are alright to hit. If Big Mom is indeed an exception to the rule of OP being a man's world, that's good, but she shouldn't be because she's unfeminine enough to be onlimits to hitting. She should be an exception just because she's a powerful female character, nothing more.

Edit: One more thing, I'd like to address your argument in a general way. You are saying because Nami has uses to the crew, that is a mark against the sexism of the story, but I wouldn't say that's true. Look at the past typical sexist cultural norms, you will find that few of them ever considered women useless. People who told them to stay in the kitchen would say their use is in making food. People who told them they're only good for secretarial jobs would say they're use is bringing coffee. They're useful in bed, in child rearing, in cleaning the house, etc. Sexism was never about claiming women have no use but about denying them roles that culture deems unacceptable for women to have. At best, you can argue them having use is proof of a lack of misogyny on oda's part, which is slightly different. What an argument against sexism in OP might be is 1. Oda doesn't have a stereotypical 'role' that women like the way Naruto has them being medic nins (though one could argue they're largely meant for fanservice roles, but that's unofficial). Nami being a navigator doesn't mean being a navigator is a feminine role, for example, Robin being a historian isn't indicative of it being a gender role, etc. and 2. Oda has given her and robin and other female characters roughly equal characterization to male characters. That's what indicates to me that, if Oda is sexist, he atleast is more careful to characterize women than, say, Kishimoto, who he defined not just in societal roles but also in personality. So I have and continue to accept that OP does make some strides regarding it, I just disagree with this specific argument that you and apparently your cheer leader have proposed.

Now, if there isn't any more confusion, I wish to retire this argument. I've made my point as clearly as I can and everyone seems to be in agreement with atleast the broad strokes. If you have more questions, I'll answer them, but having gone on about this for essentially an entire page, any more I think just clogs up the thread. At this point, I feel it's better to return to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Jigolo

Not Oda's fault this time. All of Jump is off because of Golden Week.

I know but Oda has been taking more and more breaks these past few months (I think he deserve's it). I'm just trying to say that when there is no chapter in the week, we get crazy in here :eek:

So, um Pirate Warriors 3. Anyone getting that?

Of course. Day one! It's my second most anticipated game of the year, right after The Witcher 3.

We are getting a PC version this time right ? Might give it a shot if its on sale on Steam down the line.

As I recall yeah, It might also come out for the PS3 as well. Unless the US skips that version for some reason.

It's coming to PS3, PS4, Vita and Steam. Digital only in some regions. PS3 & PS4 versions are getting a collectors edition in Europe too.

Actually played Pirate Warriors 2 and enjoyed quite a bit.

I spent about ~60 hours with it. Incredible game. Lots of flaws, no doubt, but great fun. Great controls, good movesets and great character variety; easily my favourite musou game so far thanks to this.

I spoiled myself the the ending of pirate warriors 3

It wasn't a good ending

Aw, really? The story-line for this game is just a canon re-telling, no? Then again I suppose they didn't know the ending to Dressrosa when this was launched (we still don't) so I suppose they had to make something up.

Don't spoil it though :)

360pages

Well, the story was still in the arc. But honestly, it couldn't be helped. Pirate warriors 1 probably covered the most in depth with the parts they covered. Honestly, a Dream story probably would have been better since they probably didn't have the time to cover the story in depth like the Naruto games.

Pirate warriors 3 story is almost incomprehensible unless you have the background of the story.

Pirate Warrior 2's story was batshit insane and I can only hope PW3 follows in its canon-wrecking footsteps.

I mean, there was an actual Crocodile/Arlong/Perona alliance and
THEY HAD MORIA KILL WHITEBEARD

Lunar15

Pirate Warrior 2's story was batshit insane and I can only hope PW3 follows in its canon-wrecking footsteps.

PW3 follows the story of the series, now with more arcs. I think it's hilarious that there's a Mock Town stage now, complete with a full Bellamy boss battle. Totally defeats the point of Bellamy, but oh well. I have to laugh.

And yes, Dressrosa's ending in 3 is hilarious. They totally overestimated some things.

PW3 follows the story of the series, now with more arcs. I think it's hilarious that there's a Mock Town stage now, complete with a full Bellamy boss battle. Totally defeats the point of Bellamy, but oh well. I have to laugh.

And yes, Dressrosa's ending in 3 is hilarious. They totally overestimated some things.

Nah, again, PW3 has a canon storyline.

oh yeah that's right, shieeeeeeeeeeeet

well at least I'll have the ending to look forward to.

DELLINGER/FUKUROU/ZEO ALLIANCE PLZ

360pages

This is why I'm somewhat disappointed. Everything was so crazy and weird, and despite it not being perfect it kept my interest to know what would happen next.

360pages

PW3 has a canon storyline up till the end of Dressrosa which they said they just wrote a scenario for.

Which is a shame, since I wanted to see more of BlackBeard being a shit and how they would explain away Ace being alive with Sabo having the flame powers.

Harmen

This is why I'm somewhat disappointed. Everything was so crazy and weird, and despite it not being perfect it kept my interest to know what would happen next.

Yeah, this is better. Either they have to do the canon really well so the game can stand on it's own, or they have to go with a fanservice-heavy crazy random plot. Dissapointed they went with a barebones canon plot.

I think the reason the went canon is because they got a lot of negative feedback on the non-canon storyline (I thought it was really bad too personally). I would probably rather have a non-canon storyline though, but have it be written by a good writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom