• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

No man, like I said, they all have new moves, and they're not just combinations of old stuff; all their new moves are canon and from the latest arcs. I mean, they didn't redo the entire movesets, but they added new moves, and I think all of them have new special attacks too, in one way or another.

No, I'm positive none of them have new special attacks. I actually seen all the special attacks. PTS Zoro always had Lion strike on his R button action. I think PTS Nami got a new one.

I've looked up some of Luffy's gameplay, and I notice some new attacks, but I think almost all of them could be done in PW2 either though stylish action gauge or leveling up high enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAM4VR1zf8

No, I'm positive none of them have new special attacks. I actually seen all the special attacks. PTS Zoro always had Lion strike on his R button action. I think PTS Nami got a new one.

I've looked up some of Luffy's gameplay, and I notice some new attacks, but I think almost all of them could be done in PW2 either though stylish action gauge or leveling up high enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAM4VR1zf8

Lol, this is like talking to a wall. I went ahead again and youtubed a random straw hat. This trailer came up for Usopp. New special attack at 2:00, and at least two new moves + one new combo before it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUp49ewgQec. Again: they ALL have new moves and new special attacks. If you for whatever reason don't want to believe it then whatever, it's fine by me.

360pages

Actually looking at the trailers it does seem a lot of characters got a few new moves. Though for some reason I don't seem them a lot looking at general gameplay videos. I think the new Rifle moves I see. But I never seen Grizzly Magnum outside of the trailers.

Nightbird

Croc seemed to catch on that you can make your devil fruit stronger, although I don't know if he awakened his or not. He definitely talked about his experiences on The Grand Line causing him to try to master his fruit, though, and his techniques were all very refined.

If you consider that, then this has been hinted at since way back.

Jokes on you

It's been hinted all the Way back to Drum Island.

Proof: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150502/a99je9mk.jpg

Isn't it weird that only on the Day Ace arrived on Drum there was no Snowfall? Not anymore!

smurfx

get some go again
Would be weird seeing DoFla defeated after schooling Luffy and telling him "you are not on that level yet". We are still missing a piece for the fight to end....
it would be the perfect place for him to lose though. he gets knocked out and all we are left with is questions about awakened fruits. plus i don't think this arc is ending once doflamingo is defeated. still think someone else might show up. zoro went the opposite way so he might even be the first one to encounter the new enemy. also jimbei's cover story arc ends this week. it's basically him and that huge guy saying goodbye to the animals. my guess is he is going to show up at dressrosa or he will save nami and the other strawhats.

rouken

Interview with Eiichiro Oda and Masashi Kishimoto
The Talk of the Century from OP forums

NFKu89F.jpg

very good read

It's amazing how much respect those two have for one another. It's also really refreshing. Though I always thought fandom wars was kind of silly.

I don't hate Naruto because I'm a One Piece fan. I hate Naruto because it became a heaping pile of dogshit (which is a harder blow because it was genuinely great at one point)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't hate Naruto because I'm a One Piece fan. I hate Naruto because it became a heaping pile of dogshit (which is a harder blow because it was genuinely great at one point)

Years ago I hated Naruto because I was jealous that it was doing better than One Piece in the states.
I sat down and read it.
As many have said, first half is pretty damn good. Then the timeskip happened and it all fell apart. You can actually see the shift from "I love doing this!" to "Boy, the money I get sure is good... but I want to stop"
Though I do have some issues with early Naruto. Personally I feel there should have been a couple more arcs between Zabuza and the Chunin Exams. Get to know the other characters better.

For laughs, I want to see an interview with Oda and Mashima.

Harmen

I really loved Naruto and thought post-timeskip also had some great moments. But even in the earlier good parts I had a fairly significant main problem; I found the early friendship between Naruto and Sasuke not to be all that convincing. And for the whole. damn. series. this broken friendship keeps taking main focus. Thus, my criticism kept getting worse and the character developments less believable. Same goes for the romantic stories. There are a lot of awesome characters, but the chemistry/development (or lack thereof) of some of the main characters really dragged the series down for me. And to me, this is where OP shines. And I also think the story became to smeared out for it's own good after 3/4 of the total storyline. Too many clones, resurrections and whatnot.

But I do not hate Naruto at all, I just think the quality dropped too much and some of the running storylines became really tiring by constantly delaying any sense of closure. It is a shame, because the actual story and combat was truly great at points I think. And, without Naruto, I would probably have never even checked out OP.

I really loved Naruto and thought post-timeskip also had some great moments. But even in the earlier good parts I had a fairly significant main problem; I found the early friendship between Naruto and Sasuke not to be all that convincing. And for the whole. damn. series. this broken friendship keeps taking main focus. Thus, my criticism kept getting worse and the character developments less believable. Same goes for the romantic stories. There are a lot of awesome characters, but the chemistry/development (or lack thereof) of some of the main characters really dragged the series down for me. And to me, this is where OP shines. And I also think the story became to smeared out for it's own good after 3/4 of the total storyline. Too many clones, resurrections and whatnot.

But I do not hate Naruto at all, I just think the quality dropped too much and some of the running storylines became really tiring by constantly delaying any sense of closure. It is a shame, because the actual story and combat was truly great at points I think. And, without Naruto, I would probably have never even checked out OP.
wow....exactly how I would have expressed myself. For me, its slightly more personal I guess. When Naruto was great, I actually prefer it over One Piece. Like when Sasuke and Naruto's friendship actually was touching at the valley of the end, when Naruto meets his mom and she pleads for his acceptance, Shikimaru's spotlight arc with Asuma, all great points. But there really is so much overdrawn nonsense it drags down the entire series. I guess I could watch the first 135 episodes, and then just pick and choose from there on out. It really upset me when the quality dropped though, I loved Naruto.

wow....exactly how I would have expressed myself. For me, its slightly more personal I guess. When Naruto was great, I actually prefer it over One Piece. Like when Sasuke and Naruto's friendship actually was touching at the valley of the end, when Naruto meets his mom and she pleads for his acceptance, Shikimaru's spotlight arc with Asuma, all great points. But there really is so much overdrawn nonsense it drags down the entire series. I guess I could watch the first 135 episodes, and then just pick and choose from there on out. It really upset me when the quality dropped though, I loved Naruto.

That was one wonderful arc by itself. So fucking good (and probably my favorite part of shippuden).

Totally agree on the Sasuke part. Naruto and Sasuke were never really shown being friends. Rivals sure, but friends? Not at all. Naruto was way more friendly with characters like Lee even in part 1. I like to compare it to the Luffy vs Usopp fight. In One Piece, we get a lot of time with the crew just goofing off together, so we get a much stronger sense of friendship between the crew, and Luffy and Usopp especially had a lot of goofing off time together. So even without shoehorned "my best friend" lines, you got a real sense of their friendship and that made the fight in water 7 vastly more impactful

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is the chapter out yet? No...

While the whole 'awakening' thing is interesting,
I don't know how turning the environment around him into rubber helps Luffy at all. At best, he would be able to use Bellamy's attack.

Totally agree on the Sasuke part. Naruto and Sasuke were never really shown being friends. Rivals sure, but friends? Not at all. Naruto was way more friendly with characters like Lee even in part 1. I like to compare it to the Luffy vs Usopp fight. In One Piece, we get a lot of time with the crew just goofing off together, so we get a much stronger sense of friendship between the crew, and Luffy and Usopp especially had a lot of goofing off time together. So even without shoehorned "my best friend" lines, you got a real sense of their friendship and that made the fight in water 7 vastly more impactful
i dunno, I think the anime really helped them develop a bit. If you think about it, for someone to be your rival, you have to be somewhat close to them yet distant at the same time. Naruto and Sasuke did develop a relationship through circumstances, and it was clear Naruto has admired him the whole time. The relationship was more one-sided in that Sasuke wouldn't let anyone in too close, but I don't get this rhetoric I see on forums where they didn't develop a real friendship. So what they didn't actually joke around with each other like normal friends do, these dudes are super human ninja lol, with much of there free time devoted to training. I dunno, I found it perfectly reasonable for Naruto to have a strong desire to bring Sasuke back. Along with his own feelings, he wanted to make Sakura happy.

Now, how this develops along the way is just hogwash. But pre-shippuden, it felt very believable to me, and I think people base there relationship on the extremes Naruto goes through or his obsessive behavior in Shippuden. It's just badly written by then though, first 135 chapters is legit IMO. They trained with each other, reached milestones, saved each other's lives multiple times, and developed a natural respect for each others abilities. Dunno how else people wanted there friendship to develop really. I didn't need to see them eating Ramen together to know they had a connection.

That was one wonderful arc by itself. So fucking good (and probably my favorite part of shippuden).
Truly was incredible, and Sasuke's fight with the 8th tails and Deidara were also pretty good. Really a shame the quality went up and down, you can tell Kishi was done with it. Heck, even the ending feels like something done just to appease fans lol, half of the answers is just tied up in a movie. Wish he would have went on Hiatus instead of diverging from the original manga so much. Remember when people actually had to use there brains and out smart each other. By the end, Naruto was SSJ3 Goku -_-

Lunar15

God, Water 7 was such a good arc. I love how everything tied into each other. Aokiji showing up was probably the crew's biggest humiliation yet. Sure, Croc had all but beaten luffy, but he was caught alone and out of his element. With Aokiji, the entire crew was basically straight up helpless. By the time they roll up into Water 7, their ship is broken, their confidence is shattered, and they're even a bit confused about Robin's role in the crew. That sets the stage perfectly for Usopp to want out, and it all just makes so much sense.

I feel like when two friendly characters fight in in a show or manga or something, it can sometimes be poorly implemented and feel stupid. But with Usopp wanting to leave, you can still see what pushed him to that point. It was a moment of growth in a manga that honestly doesn't have much character growth points outside of each character's first arc.

I hope future arcs really push the crew to their limits.

God, Water 7 was such a good arc. I love how everything tied into each other. Aokiji showing up was probably the crew's biggest humiliation yet. Sure, Croc had all but beaten luffy, but he was caught alone and out of his element. With Aokiji, the entire crew was basically straight up helpless. By the time they roll up into Water 7, their ship is broken, their confidence is shattered, and they're even a bit confused about Robin's role in the crew. That sets the stage perfectly for Usopp to want out, and it all just makes so much sense.

I feel like when two friendly characters fight in in a show or manga or something, it can sometimes be poorly implemented and feel stupid. But with Usopp wanting to leave, you can still see what pushed him to that point. It was a moment of growth in a manga that honestly doesn't have much character growth points outside of each character's first arc.

I hope future arcs really push the crew to their limits.

Nailed it here. There was this special atmosphere on that arc too, everything felt broken, helpless, and it was specially painful compared to what they shared before. I still feel it was the peak of the manga, something that really set it apart.

Truly was incredible, and Sasuke's fight with the 8th tails and Deidara were also pretty good. Really a shame the quality went up and down, you can tell Kishi was done with it. Heck, even the ending feels like something done just to appease fans lol, half of the answers is just tied up in a movie. Wish he would have went on Hiatus instead of diverging from the original manga so much. Remember when people actually had to use there brains and out smart each other. By the end, Naruto was SSJ3 Goku -_-

Shippuden really jumped the shark with all the juubi stuff and the god like powers. Part 1 had lee vs gaara, hinata vs neji, naruto vs sasuke, shikamaru against temari, grounded, interesting and intense fights. I really miss that...

Dugna

ehh only thing that didn't make a lick of a fucking sense to me with Naruto was,
Sakura having a child with Sasuke.
I mean wtf?

Other then that it was long and drawn out and probably should have ended around pain arc.

Grexeno

ehh only thing that didn't make a lick of a fucking sense to me with Naruto was,
Sakura having a child with Sasuke.
I mean wtf?

Other then that it was long and drawn out and probably should have ended around pain arc.
Naruto spoilers:
It actually appears that she didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom