• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

Alabasta though. Fishman Island is
probably second however.

Alabasta's too straightforward, especially because the root of the problem was a "real villain" in the shadows manipulating conditions to spur on the rebellion. The political-social problem would never have gotten that bad if not for Crocodile.

In FI's case, Jones was a product of the political-social problem, and not the one causing it. I also think "sometimes people are racist for no reason/because they're mad at the world (and don't have a specific grievance with the target race)" is a really important message to teach in the days when "economic anxiety" and gross racism now mingle freely.

Ray Down

Banned
I just want a ninja storm game with a one piece skin if I'm honest. Say what ya want about that game but the fanservice is off the charts

FG2m5yNtGH8phnDS39WnBa2QP60pU5brtzrkj_0sosQ9RSsR73I_iK5Qaprh7Pe9hHDROm-1lAatJaHXJT-kk5LIikYOFA_FSrP-ZSUtCtghHhPuLiZpbVPo9A=w480-h262-p

Didn't Luffy say 10 people would be the perfect crew size in the first chapter of the Manga?

He said he wanted "at least 10 people". That would also be not counting him, so 11 is basically the minimum crew size for Luffy's desire to come true.

I kind of buy into the idea that we might get 4 more total, meaning a total crew size of 13 (Luffy + 12 others), with four joining in East Blue, four joining in the Grand Line, and four joining in the New World. It's not ironclad proof or anything, but it's at least interesting that the exact same number of people joined in the East Blue saga and the Grand Line saga despite the massive difference in length between the two.

He said he wanted "at least 10 people". That would also be not counting him, so 11 is basically the minimum crew size for Luffy's desire to come true.

I kind of buy into the idea that we might get 4 more total, meaning a total crew size of 13 (Luffy + 12 others), with four joining in East Blue, four joining in the Grand Line, and four joining in the New World. It's not ironclad proof or anything, but it's at least interesting that the exact same number of people joined in the East Blue saga and the Grand Line saga despite the massive difference in length between the two.

only thing is if more ppl are going to join it needs to be sooner rather than later

only thing is if more ppl are going to join it needs to be sooner rather than later

Yeah, well I think we're definitely looking at someone joining very soon (possibly even two people).

And there's probably a good 15 years left in the manga given the rate the story goes at and how much ground we have left to cover.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, well I think we're definitely looking at someone joining very soon (possibly even two people).

And there's probably a good 15 years left in the manga given the rate the story goes at and how much ground we have left to cover.
15 more years of One Piece.

I'll be over 40 by then. I might have kids reading it for all I know.

Meanwhile Oda will have several degrees of arthritis and carpal tunnel.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'd play a One Piece Soccer game.

Veelk

Banned
And Oda is a fan of soccer and soccer teams are comprised of 11 people.

This in particular is a very subjective thing....but this is a good example of why One Piece feels as unnatural as it does to me.

Over the years, there has been a consistent pattern of who will or will not join. They have to have a dream, they have to have a tragic backstory, they have to initially refuse Luffy, they need to have a distinct role in the crew they are extremely good at.... These are set patterns that we see as viewers and base our speculations on who will join as a result.

Thing is, none of this is an in-universe qualification for joining strawhats. Luffy just picks up whatever people he happens to like. For example, Luffy made Usopp a member and only afterwards decided he was the crew's sniper afterwards. I might be wrong, but he also invited Chopper and only found out about his doctor's expertise later. And of course, Brooke's joining was an immediate invitation as soon as he saw he was a musician.

While Oda has set rather a number of standards for who makes up a crew member and why, Luffy's rationale is rather fickle if not nonexistent. He picks his crew largely on idle whims that all just happen to pay off substantially. Other than making this just one large in-universe contrived coincidence, it also brings attention to how this story is...well, a story. I mention before that I like to get engrossed in a story as much as possible, and noticing and having to acknowledge that these patterns happen for no reason other than that Oda preordained just kicks me out of the experience.

That a writer likes a sport just doesn't feel like a reason to think something will happen in his utterly non-soccer related manga. I'm not saying this is unjustified speculation, since it could very well be true in Oda's case. But it just feels like such a non-sequitor. "Why did Luffy only get 10 pirate crew members?" "Because Oda's favorite sport is soccer". I don't know how that doesn't take you out of the experience.

/weeklyVeelkcomplaint

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brook was invited to join the second Luffy saw he was a walking, talking skeleton.

Also, they generally aren't asked to join because they'd be good at something. That only really applies to Nami, Chopper, Franky, and Sanji.

Usopp literally joined because Luffy really liked him and wanted him to. He only became the sniper after Luffy found out he's the only one who can work the cannon.

With Zorro he wanted someone strong, with Robin she just joined them and he said fine, and Jinbei joined because Luffy really likes him.

Hell, pretty much the entire crew is there because Luffy likes them. That's basically the only thread tying them together. Do you expect him to pick someone he doesn't like?

Also, of course the crew members all have a backstory. Every major character in everything has one. You're complaining that the characters have depth now?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Crocodile
Jinbei
Boa
Kuma

Veelk

Banned
That's basically the only thread tying them together. Do you expect him to pick someone he doesn't like?

Also, of course the crew members all have a backstory. Every major character in everything has one. You're complaining that the characters have depth now?

Honestly, I swear that people just troll me with whatever strawmen version of my post they imagine first. Honestly, did you read that and think "He's saying it's bad Luffy picks people he doesn't like" or "He's saying characters shouldn't have backstories?" How?

It's so distant from what I am saying that I'm not even going to clarify what I did say. I realize this makes this somewhat of a nothing post, but it just exasperates me sometimes. No, B-dubs, that's not what I'm saying at all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly, I swear that people just troll me with whatever strawmen version of my post they imagine first. Honestly, did you read that and think "He's saying it's bad Luffy picks people he doesn't like" or "He's saying characters shouldn't have backstories?"

It's so distant from what I am saying that I'm not even going to clarify what I did say. I realize this makes this somewhat of a nothing post, but it just exasperates me sometimes. No, B-dubs. that's not what I'm saying at all.

Well that's what happens when you cite things like "backstory and a dream" in your complaints. Every character in the history of everything has these things. Those aren't part of a pattern, they're part of making a character. Are you complaining that we find out about these things before they join the crew?

Veelk

Banned
Well that's what happens when you cite things like "backstory and a dream" in your complaints. Every character in the history of everything has these things. Those aren't part of a pattern, they're part of making a character. Are you complaining that we find out about these things before they join the crew?

Only if your ignore context from where the words were being presented. First off, I said they all had a tragic backstory. Not all backstories have to be inherently tragic, obviously. Therefore, it's a set pattern that OP characters have such a backstory.

Second, strawhat dreams are obviously very distinct from normal people's dreams. They want to do insane things, like Nami wants to draw the whole world, Sanji wants to find a mythological sea, Zoro wants to be the best swordsman in the world, etc. Now, it's true that I didn't specifically say "Big, ridiculous dreams" but I think it's not too much to expect fans of one piece to implicitly understand that the dreams that Strawhats have are distinct from normal people's when the topic of discussion is about the characteristics that set strawhats apart from other characters.

Regardless, maybe you should read over that post again, because no, I'm not complaining that we find those things out before they join the crew either (which wouldn't make sense anyway, since Nami and Robin join the crew before their backstories and dreams were revealed)

Metal B

Second, strawhat dreams are obviously very distinct from normal people's dreams. They want to do insane things, like Nami wants to draw the whole world, Sanji wants to find a mythological sea, Zoro wants to be the best swordsman in the world, etc. Now, it's true that I didn't specifically say "Big, ridiculous dreams" but I think it's not too much to expect fans of one piece to implicitly understand that the dreams that Strawhats have are distinct from normal people's when the topic of discussion is about the characteristics that set strawhats apart from other characters.
This is so wrong! There goals maybe fantastical, but the motivation comes from simple human emotions, which anybody can understand. Nami maybe want to draw a map of the whole world (which is actually on of the more mundane ones), but her motivation is freedom, which she lost under Arlong for many years. Zoro maybe wants to become the best swordsman in the world, but he does it to fulfill the will of his dead childhood friend. Chooper maybe wants to find a cure for all illnesses, but simply because he lost his father-figure to an illness, he couldn't threat. And many mayn more examples for almost all characters.
One Piece just happens to be own a world, where you can achieve those goals in a fantastical way.

Tizoc

Ya know it's gonna be hilarious if Vivi & Karoo rejoin the crew after the Reverie.
Mainly for the reactions and the discussions that'd follow :V

OK made it to the Birdcage in my re-read and...Usopp going full coward goes completely against his decision during the Arlong Park arc, not to mention he's leaving people behind.
The fuck was Oda smoking when he was writing that chapter?

Ya know it's gonna be hilarious if Vivi & Karoo rejoin the crew after the Reverie.
Mainly for the reactions and the discussions that'd follow :V

OK made it to the Birdcage in my re-read and...Usopp going full coward goes completely against his decision during the Arlong Park arc, not to mention he's leaving people behind.
The fuck was Oda smoking when he was writing that chapter?

I don't think we'll see her in the sunny go, however i can see her being a SH working in the diplomatic stuff and maybe showing for the final big battle.

Veelk

Banned
This is so wrong! There goals maybe fantastical, but the motivation comes from simple human emotions, which anybody can understand. Nami maybe want to draw a map of the whole world (which is actually on of the more mundane ones), but her motivation is freedom, which she lost under Arlong for many years. Zoro maybe wants to become the best swordsman in the world, but he does it to fulfill the will of his dead childhood friend. Chooper maybe wants to find a cure for all illnesses, but simply because he lost his father-figure to an illness, he couldn't threat. And many mayn more examples for almost all characters.
One Piece just happens to be own a world, where you can achieve those goals in a fantastical way.

This is a good counterpoint that would be pretty effective if I ever said anything about the motivations for the dreams being outside the scope of human emotion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Her dad being pretty close to death signifies that we won't see a ton of Vivi after the Reverie as she'll probably need to go home this time.

NSESN

Her dad being pretty close to death signifies that we won't see a ton of Vivi after the Reverie as she'll probably need to go home this time.

Actually I think it's the opposite, maybe him dying will make her more involved, specially in arcs with the WG.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually I think it's the opposite, maybe him dying will make her more involved, specially in arcs with the WG.

More involved politically maybe but her country will need its Queen if her dad gets taken out. She stayed the first time because they needed to rebuild and she felt responsible, if her dad kicks the bucket then she will actually be responsible for all of them. I don't think this means she won't show up again before the end, just that I never expect her to be on the Sunny for more than a moment in the rest of the manga, but who knows?

Rise of the Ninja, and its sequel The Broken Bond. Those games were great; the free-roaming was top-notch.

Those were the ones! :)

Give me a OP game were you have that exploration across several islands, and maybe some navigation at sea. I'd prefer a game with OP's sense of adventure over one that focuses on its battles

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Those were the ones! :)

Give me a OP game were you have that exploration across several islands, and maybe some navigation at sea. I'd prefer a game with OP's sense of adventure over one that focuses on its battles

Ever play the One Piece Unlimited games? They're good for that.

Ray Down

Banned
The issue with th straw hat growing past 11 is that you would also have to increase the notable crew members of both Blackbeards and Shanks since Shanks and BB are destined to fight and the BB crew are basically the Straw Hats end game villains they got to beat.

From BB he started with 4 crew mate(unless you count Stronger) then increased to 10 due to breaking out 6 more crew mates and only increased by 1 or these past 2 years. Don't think he's going to gain anymore.

This in particular is a very subjective thing....but this is a good example of why One Piece feels as unnatural as it does to me.

I'm confused by what you mean by "unnatural" in this context.

Over the years, there has been a consistent pattern of who will or will not join. They have to have a dream, they have to have a tragic backstory, they have to initially refuse Luffy, they need to have a distinct role in the crew they are extremely good at.... These are set patterns that we see as viewers and base our speculations on who will join as a result.

Thing is, none of this is an in-universe qualification for joining strawhats. Luffy just picks up whatever people he happens to like. For example, Luffy made Usopp a member and only afterwards decided he was the crew's sniper afterwards. I might be wrong, but he also invited Chopper and only found out about his doctor's expertise later. And of course, Brooke's joining was an immediate invitation as soon as he saw he was a musician.

Not necessarily. If that was the case, Luffy would ask every person he liked to join his crew.
It's not that simple.

While Oda has set rather a number of standards for who makes up a crew member and why, Luffy's rationale is rather fickle if not nonexistent. He picks his crew largely on idle whims that all just happen to pay off substantially. Other than making this just one large in-universe contrived coincidence, it also brings attention to how this story is...well, a story. I mention before that I like to get engrossed in a story as much as possible, and noticing and having to acknowledge that these patterns happen for no reason other than that Oda preordained just kicks me out of the experience.

I don't see why that's a problem.
If your idea of contrived coincidence is "things planned by the writer that aren't made up on the fly", then why are you reading or watching...ANY story?

A thing that you're overlooking is that the members that end up joining the crew have a goal that requires them to go out to sea and have a motive, for whatever reason, to board a pirate ship.

That a writer likes a sport just doesn't feel like a reason to think something will happen in his utterly non-soccer related manga. I'm not saying this is unjustified speculation, since it could very well be true in Oda's case. But it just feels like such a non-sequitor. "Why did Luffy only get 10 pirate crew members?" "Because Oda's favorite sport is soccer". I don't know how that doesn't take you out of the experience.

/weeklyVeelkcomplaint

Or the fact that it was hinted in-universe in the second chapter that Luffy wants at least 10 people. It just so happens to line up with the author's interests.
It doesn't take us out of the experience because the number of people the protagonist is interested in gathering is LITERALLY mentioned in the source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom