• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, Pudding could be a key character based on what we know. Kidnapping Robin would be too similar to W7, so i'm interested in the other possible outcomes.

That only if BB doesn't already have a way to read the Poneglyphs.

smurfx

get some go again
depending on what happens to pudding after this arc she may either run away or be forced out. if she does that then she might run into blackbeard and that is how they end up using her.

NSESN

I don't see Pudding working with BB. It barely makes sense. He won't need to read Ponelglyphs because he is going to follow Luffy imo.

Ogodei

Can Pudding steal memories as well as edit them?

Then we could have a run where Blackbeard kidnaps pudding, defeats Shanks, has Pudding plum Shanks' memory for his time on the Oro Jackson and figures out how he can get to Raftel. Straw Hats are informed that Blackbeard's on his way but they, having the Road Poneglyphs, can get there quicker (maybe Gold Roger got there by some roundabout way since he could only hear the voice of all things and not read the Poneglyphs).

This week's episode had Cracker's title as one of 3 sweet commanders, so yeah, Urouge probably killed the fourth one. Either that or Big Mom was so pissed off at his defeat that she demoted and/or ate him.

Edit: or maybe Buggy remembers how to get there this whole time and Blackbeard simply kidnaps Buggy and beats it out of him.

caliph95

Can Pudding steal memories as well as edit them?

Then we could have a run where Blackbeard kidnaps pudding, defeats Shanks, has Pudding plum Shanks' memory for his time on the Oro Jackson and figures out how he can get to Raftel. Straw Hats are informed that Blackbeard's on his way but they, having the Road Poneglyphs, can get there quicker (maybe Gold Roger got there by some roundabout way since he could only hear the voice of all things and not read the Poneglyphs).

This week's episode had Cracker's title as one of 3 sweet commanders, so yeah, Urouge probably killed the fourth one. Either that or Big Mom was so pissed off at his defeat that she demoted and/or ate him.

Edit: or maybe Buggy remembers how to get there this whole time and Blackbeard simply kidnaps Buggy and beats it out of him.
Would she kill him i know it's big mom but she spends a lot of time bulding up her forces and getting revenge for the attach, would she waste one of her commanders, the strongest people in her crew while sober. Though we haven't heard what happened to Cracker yet and that episode was so goddamn slow half of it could be cut out for an extra chapter.

smurfx

get some go again
Pudding ending up captured/join Blackbeard were some of the dumbest theories about her.
why is that? blackbeard is gonna need to somehow read the road poneglyphs if he wants one piece. there aren't many options out there you know. if luffy defeats big mom in the future her kids would likely disband and become easy pickings for blackbeard and others.

NSESN

why is that? blackbeard is gonna need to somehow read the road poneglyphs if he wants one piece. there aren't many options out there you know. if luffy defeats big mom in the future her kids would likely disband and become easy pickings for blackbeard and others.

BB will just follow Luffy, mark my words.

Ray Down

Banned

1. How would Blackbeard know about Pudding?

2. How would he get her and why would Pudding join him?

3. We still don't know if Pudding will awaken said power and BB could grab another.

4. All serious contenders seem to have their own ways to get their.

Luffy has Robin and if he ever learns to use the voice of all things the way to read the stones.

BM has Pudding.

Kaido wants the Kazuki clan.

Shanks...we don't know.

Blackbeard for being similar to Luffy might have the voice of all things and read the stones. Plus he's a history buff and a planner who may have his own plan already in the works, he would know considering he was a part of WB crew even before Roger died.

Still Pudding's DF is too intriguing, i can see her getting a more important role. Specially considering Big Mom's comment about her and her eye.

Though BB following Luffy is really, really something he would do, tbh. Spending these years building up a huge alliance, weapons and powers waiting for Luffy to solve the puzzle and then trying to take advantage of him.

smurfx

get some go again
1. How would Blackbeard know about Pudding?

2. How would he get her and why would Pudding join him?

3. We still don't know if Pudding will awaken said power and BB could grab another.

4. All serious contenders seem to have their own ways to get their.

Luffy has Robin and if he ever learns to use the voice of all things the way to read the stones.

BM has Pudding.

Kaido wants the Kazuki clan.

Shanks...we don't know.

Blackbeard for being similar to Luffy might have the voice of all things and read the stones. Plus he's a history buff and a planner who may have his own plan already in the works.
blackbeard could easily interrogate one of big mom's kids after luffy defeats big mom. a question he might ask is how big mom was planning on getting one piece. i doubt blackbeard hasn't thought about this. he may very well already know about puddings race and could learn of her through interrogation. he could do the same to kaido's men once luffy defeats them. i doubt oda will do something similar and have blackbeard kidnap or go after momo and be the same as kaido. oda talked about pudding possibly having that ability because it is going to come into play sooner or later.

Ray Down

Banned
Still Pudding's DF is too intriguing, i can see her getting a more important role. Specially considering Big Mom's comment about her and her eye.

Though BB following Luffy is really, really something he would do, tbh. Spending these years building up a huge alliance, weapons and powers waiting for Luffy to solve the puzzle and then trying to take advantage of him.

Oh she will be more important, just not somehow connect to another pirate king who's main crew is filled up.

She could end up being another temp person on the straw hat ship till we deal with Big Mom again.

Though that depends on she goes from here.

That feeling you get when you read the anime director for the luffy cracker fight

img_20161229_230051-jpg.4532

Ogodei

Luffy doesn't seem to have 100% of the Voice of All Things, otherwise he could intuit the meaning of the poneglyphs like Roger could.

I doubt Blackbeard has that. Isn't there still speculation that he's a fake D?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Who's to say Blackbeard or anyone else just won't be able to follow Luffy and co to wherever Raftel is.

For me I see Blackbeard as either the end game AFTER getting One Piece or him being the thing before getting One Piece/finding Raftel.

Right now it just somehow feels right that Raftel will involve the World Government.

smurfx

get some go again
there has to be some special means of getting to raftel. it would be kinda silly if blackbeard secretly followed luffy without them finding out. just like the going merry was modified to go to sky island franky will likely have to modify the sunny to get there as well.

Luffy doesn't seem to have 100% of the Voice of All Things, otherwise he could intuit the meaning of the poneglyphs like Roger could.

I doubt Blackbeard has that. Isn't there still speculation that he's a fake D?

I really hope he is a true D, makes the whole thing more interesting when that "will" can be found both in morally questionable people as much as in "good" people.

IHaveIce

Banned
Hahahahahahaahahahaha. Few things that i read in the internet actually make me laugh out loud instead of just the smirk that usually goes with the written "lol" we like posting so much here, but goddamn this made me laugh so hard.

giphy.gif
Resistance against Veelk? Yeah.
Resistance against the argument women are bad presented and their designs got worse over the series? Barely, it was just a lost argument since it is sadly par of the course for most shonens.

The uproar was because veelk made pagelong posts about the same issue every 3 pages.

Veelk is a smart guy and I know his 'shtick(meaning his behaviour of overexplaining his point)' is not limited to OP so all is good. Also he is an Overwatch bro.

Veelk

Banned
Resistance against the argument women are bad presented and their designs got worse over the series? Barely, it was just a lost argument since it is sadly par of the course for most shonens.

Literally every statement I made, short or otherwise, someone tried to refute or dismiss. It didn't matter what it was.

The outfits are too fanservicey? LOOK AT THE SETTING, IT'S OBVIOUSLY APPROPRIATE ATTIRE TO IT. Women characters are undermined in combat? "NO, THESE CHARACTERS JUST HAPPEN TO BE SPECIFICALLY WEAK OR THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES PREVENTED IT" There are way too few women for the amount of male characters in any given group "IT'S A BOYS COMIC VEELK, NEVERMIND THAT HALF THE AUDIENCE IS FEMALE OR THAT BOYS COULD ENJOY A FEMALE CHARACTERS STORY"

I didn't stop because that kind of bullshit never stopped. It didn't matter what the example it was. People agreed that OP didn't have good depictions of female characters in the broader, general sense, sure, like you're doing now. But the moment you tried to give a specific example or make it a talking point NOPE, NOT THAT, THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE

In fairness, I've noticed that it's not just a OP thing. When Anita Sarkeesian started her videos, one tendency I noticed is that everybody was happy to admit that there was sexism in the videogame industry. However, there's no single example that she brought up that wasn't refuted, usually by fans of that game. It didn't matter what it was, there was always some context or some reason why it was totally okay and Anita was misrepresenting that game in regards to any given feminist issue. It's something I think happened to me, when I was reading Berserk. As I was reading, I was trying to make up arguments to mollify how bad women are depicted in that comic by trying to argue for Caska's strong characterization. I decided it actually isn't, in the end, but I wanted it to be because I liked the manga so much. There is already a natural bias to not see sexism in things in general, so couple that with something your emotionally invested in, so I think people just have a strong aversion to admitting in this particular kind of flaw in their favorite works. If it's an undeniable issue, then the solution is to admit to the problem, but refute any specific examples given.

But whether it's a formal bias or not, the idea that there wasn't resistance to the ideas I brought forth is just wrong. And more than that, it even doesn't make sense. If there was no disagreement, I wouldn't have had anything to respond to that would have made those conversations last for pages. Look, you want to say I was overly emphatic with the topic, fine, but don't tell me I was overly emphatic for no reason. I had other conversations with other communities about this same thing, and a lot of them just agreed that this aspect was bullshit, and then the conversation moved on. There is a reason that the OP community discussions were different.

Edit: Also, it's not like I kept saying the same thing over and over. I made a concious effort to try to diversify the conversation of how female characters are written in OP by trying to focus on different things about them, and even tried to set up conversations that would be an exploration of some OP characters rather than a criticism of the manga. But at some point, the OP community just developed a pavlovian response where if you make even a single post about female characters now, you have someone going "UGH ARE WE TALKING ABOUT SEXISM AGAIN ALREADY", no matter what it's about or how the argument is presented. Even if that someone isn't me. Even if sexism hasn't been brought up in literally months. And frankly, being unable to talk about fictional female character representation without being triggered is it's own problem.

and I know his 'shtick(meaning his behaviour of overexplaining his point)' .

...yeah, fine, okay, you got me there atleast. Though I like to think of it as thoroughly explaining rather than overly.

bjork

There is a reason that the OP community discussions were different.

Because they're just here to enjoy a popcorn flick instead of trying to dissect foreign film. This is the point you seem to keep missing or glossing over. I don't think anyone disagrees with you or is trying to discredit your views at all, they're just tired of hearing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and you always seem to take that personally and respond with a thick tome of a reply that stopped saying anything new a long time ago.

To be fair, you mentioned a youtube channel and I probably would watch something discussing what is on your mind. Maybe that's a better avenue for getting it off your chest, I don't know.

caliph95

Because they're just here to enjoy a popcorn flick instead of trying to dissect foreign film. This is the point you seem to keep missing or glossing over. I don't think anyone disagrees with you or is trying to discredit your views at all, they're just tired of hearing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and you always seem to take that personally and respond with a thick tome of a reply that stopped saying anything new a long time ago.

To be fair, you mentioned a youtube channel and I probably would watch something discussing what is on your mind. Maybe that's a better avenue for getting it off your chest, I don't know.
While i don't disagree with some of his critique i doubt youtube will be receptive as gaf to Veelk

bjork

While i don't disagree with some of his critique i doubt youtube will be receptive as gaf to Veelk

YT comments can be a complete disaster, yeah. But I mean so far as making a piece that really hits every aspect of his argument. It would be something to point to with a timestamped link, rather than having to rewrite certain things time and again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

This. I actually 99% agree with Veelk and all the times I have said enough is enough is when it gets overly cyclical and brings down the mood of the thread to the point where people's enjoyment begins to be drowned out.

I have enjoyed his critique of this arc though. Watching that roller coaster has been amusing.

Sorry for talking about you in third person like you're not in this thread. Hi Veelk.

caliph95

This. I actually 99% agree with Veelk and all the times I have said enough is enough is when it gets overly cyclical and brings down the mood of the thread to the point where people's enjoyment begins to be drowned out.

I have enjoyed his critique of this arc though. Watching that roller coaster has been amusing.

Sorry for talking about you in third person like you're not in this thread. Hi Veelk.
Pretty much knowing gaf, a lot of the posters here probably agree with him on certain things (not to the extent to as much as Veelk) particularly to the female chracters, it's why Pudding v Carrot became a meme. heck we do that without him sometimes (guilty) but are sick and tired how cylical how it becomes especially since they will take a page and is not as "fun" with Veelk (sorry dude) since we actually enjoy the series and is not using as a study for storytelling, which i think was his reasons along this line
(or Veelk is being tsundare and won't admit he likes OP).

Veelk

Banned

Well, if you were to go back, I think you'd see plenty of people making counterarguments, because...shit, man, I know I can be longwinded, but I don't just yell into a void. I was responding, refuting arguments. I remember being exasperated by the mental gymnastics people went through to try and disprove the most obvious things. I even noticed that people were a lot more conversational and engaging when I made equally longwinded and critical posts about other aspects of OP's storyline, like character behavior or worldbuildings. Some people still got mad, but people talked normally if it was about something other than female characters in OP.

I'm not about to go back and examine all the old posts I made, but how you're describing it is not how I remember it happening at all.

Hi Sol.

Yeah, look, I can totally cop to the fact that a some people just get tired of the dialogue itself, since I'm a black sheep of the community with how I don't read the manga for the same reasons you guys do. For what it's worth, there are times where I could have been less abrasive.

I'm just saying, lets not do this revisionist history nonsense and say that people only disagree with me because it's me. There were users who specifically tried to argue that these things weren't issues at all. That's a fact.

I like to think I'm realistic about the kind of reception I'm going to get on YT, both in number of views/subscribers and how receptive they'll be to social progress issues. Hell, the literary world had it's own gamer-gate type scenerio about a year ago. I know what I'm getting into.

(or Veelk is being tsundare and won't admit he likes OP).

I keep telling you, there's no dere. Especially not now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just to put my stance into context, I know what long-winded exposition falling on deaf ears is like. GAF is generally against self-promotion but I'll use some of my articles here to illustrate a point:

Ranting and raving about how great Metal Gear Solid is, pouring my heart and soul into it - less than 150 views.

Toplist article that I spent forever on, treating with delicacy and care - Same.

A small stub - over 3k.

I realized at some point my audience wasn't receptive to my long-winded editorials, no matter how strongly I felt about them.

I recognize and appreciate the detail and depth with which you use to back up the stances that you have. I know what it's like to have barely anyone listen or say it doesn't matter even after you go above and beyond to articulate yourself. But at the same time, you need to know your audience. In this case, your audience is either

A) Agreeing with you and getting tired of the same thing over and over (among other things, let's simplify it)

B) The type of person who will confront you and say it isn't a problem (they're wrong, but what are you gonna do)

So I think that's why you got the backlash you did. Not because you were in the wrong or anything.

To be completely fair I haven't seen any real problems in this thread in quite some time. All of this friction I'm referencing happened a while ago. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion either. I'm just adding my two cents as to why it probably happened.

Alright, that's my rant, that may or may not have made sense or had anything to do with anything

bjork

I used to recap episodes of Raw on another forum I went to, almost in a report style, but with my own booking analysis. Walls of text for each match and segment, iirc. But in the end it was all wasted time because nothing I ever thought they should do, actually happened, and now I care 0% about wrestling at all. I guess we all pick our battles until we're done fighting them.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah but by any means, I would't want Veelk to be any different. I was on his side the whole arc. Sanji was just flat out annoying and Pudding was a fresh breeze in OP, but Oda seems to make her stupid enough to now fall for Sanji.

Mendrox

I still love my beautiful drawn women. I don't want them getting a scratch. So Nami should just instantely win her next fight in the future. Also I don't see such posts in the Overwatch Veelk. There is no game with more blatant fanservice which is also that famous right now. :3

Veelk

Banned
I still love my beautiful drawn women. I don't want them getting a scratch. So Nami should just instantely win her next fight in the future. Also I don't see such posts in the Overwatch Veelk. There is no game with more blatant fanservice which is also that famous right now. :3

See? This is one of the reason's I'm as wordy as I am. To try and avoid misunderstandings like boiling down my more complex arguments to something as hacked as "No fanservice". Which apparently happens anyway. Look, I'm not a prude, not anti-sex, and no, I'm not against fanservice as a rule. If anything, I'd encourage culture to be more open about sex than anything. But fanservice should be purposeful.

Overwatch is a good game to talk about fanservice with in many ways, but obvious one is that the fanservice is largely centered around who the characters are. So, you have Widowmaker whose got a noir femme fatale throwback going on or D.Va whose suit is reminiscent of Evangelion, but you have nothing sexual happening with Mei, whose just a cheerful winter scientist or Zarya, whose basically a weightlifter gone soldier or Ana and Pharah are both different types of soldiers. Those are all characters who look great, don't really have any vested interest in sexual appeal. So the fact that Widowmaker does not only makes her unique, but also characterizes her. You can still make debates about whether even Widowmaker is doing is okay since Femme Fatale is itself based in a type of stereotyping of women, but making it a central tenet of her character makes a case for it's legitimacy atleast possible.

And this is a game that's not particularly storybased. It's mostly just lore and background stuff, since you don't even go on any canonical missions in the game, aside from that one event thing. It has far more of an excuse to just forgo characterization and objectify it's characters, since it's gameplay intrinsically forces that to happen (think about how many times you refer to a player as "The (insert character here)", thinking of the character as a function), but so it's only more impressive how character-based everything it does is, including fanservice.

Mendrox

See? This is one of the reason's I'm as wordy as I am. To try and avoid misunderstandings like boiling down my more complex arguments to something as hacked as "No fanservice". Which apparently happens anyway. Look, I'm not a prude, not anti-sex, and no, I'm not against fanservice as a rule. If anything, I'd encourage culture to be more open about sex than anything. But fanservice should be purposeful.

Overwatch is a good game to talk about fanservice with in many ways, but obvious one is that the fanservice is largely centered around who the characters are. So, you have Widowmaker whose got a noir femme fatale throwback going on or D.Va whose suit is reminiscent of Evangelion, but you have nothing sexual happening with Mei, whose just a cheerful winter scientist or Zarya, whose basically a weightlifter gone soldier or Ana and Pharah are both different types of soldiers. Those are all characters who look great, don't really have any vested interest in sexual appeal. So the fact that Widowmaker does not only makes her unique, but also characterizes her. You can still make debates about whether even Widowmaker is doing is okay since Femme Fatale is itself based in a type of stereotyping of women, but making it a central tenet of her character makes a case for it's legitimacy atleast possible.

And this is a game that's not particularly storybased. It's mostly just lore and background stuff, since you don't even go on any canonical missions in the game, aside from that one event thing. It has far more of an excuse to just forgo characterization and objectify it's characters, since it's gameplay intrinsically forces that to happen (think about how many times you refer to a player as "The (insert character here)", thinking of the character as a function), but so it's only more impressive how character-based everything it does is, including fanservice.

Blizzard knew what they were doing and it shows in Pornhub statistics. But after your opinion about the sexualization in Overwatch it stops for me here.

caliph95

History has shown that YouTube isn't great when you take something popular and say maybe it has a problem with the way it depicts women.
I've no idea where you got that from i mean this is the same community that has level headed response when someone said that maybe a pose is out of character for tracer and covering panty, and didn't die on the hill for Doa extreme.also love the "sjws", like Sargon

bjork

@bold: Some people respond better to something concise, though.

@italics: this is personal opinion. Some things can just exist for the sake of existing. Does that count as a purpose?

Ogodei

Just to put my stance into context, I know what long-winded exposition falling on deaf ears is like. GAF is generally against self-promotion but I'll use some of my articles here to illustrate a point:

Ranting and raving about how great Metal Gear Solid is, pouring my heart and soul into it - less than 150 views.

Toplist article that I spent forever on, treating with delicacy and care - Same.

A small stub - over 3k.

I realized at some point my audience wasn't receptive to my long-winded editorials, no matter how strongly I felt about them.

I recognize and appreciate the detail and depth with which you use to back up the stances that you have. I know what it's like to have barely anyone listen or say it doesn't matter even after you go above and beyond to articulate yourself. But at the same time, you need to know your audience. In this case, your audience is either

A) Agreeing with you and getting tired of the same thing over and over (among other things, let's simplify it)

B) The type of person who will confront you and say it isn't a problem (they're wrong, but what are you gonna do)

So I think that's why you got the backlash you did. Not because you were in the wrong or anything.

To be completely fair I haven't seen any real problems in this thread in quite some time. All of this friction I'm referencing happened a while ago. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion either. I'm just adding my two cents as to why it probably happened.

Alright, that's my rant, that may or may not have made sense or had anything to do with anything

tldr (heh) is that nobody likes to read anymore. It's a sad fact you have to grapple with, especially for people with a really good grasp on writing.

Everyone denigrates Trump for wanting bullet points, one page reports, with lots of pictures, but that's the best way to reach people nowadays. Part of the reason why Youtube does so well, or podcasts. The video or audio formats are more digestable for essays than just writing your essay.

bjork

tldr (heh) is that nobody likes to read anymore. It's a sad fact you have to grapple with, especially for people with a really good grasp on writing.

Everyone denigrates Trump for wanting bullet points, one page reports, with lots of pictures, but that's the best way to reach people nowadays. Part of the reason why Youtube does so well, or podcasts. The video or audio formats are more digestable for essays than just writing your essay.

That's more because he's a simp that has no place anywhere near anything of value. But we don't really do politics here, so we'll leave it at that.

That said, a manga about politics might be entertaining, but I'd expect it to go about as in-depth as a chapter of Golgo 13 goes, at least. If it was like "Trumpu Trumpu no Balloon!" and then 8 pages of twitter reaction faces, it might not be as interesting.

Ray Down

Banned
Implying women in this series will ever get a solo fight again, aside from fighting the BBP.

Top Bottom