• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 |OT| New World Disorder

I will definitely be picking this up, though I wish they could have been a little earlier with the release date so I could have been more prepared. For the longest they said summer for NA and I think the release date was announced like a week or 2 ago.

Anyways, I'm excited to play as Aokiji. He's my favorite character that isn't part of the Strawhat crew.

Dragun619

Nice OT man, can someone tell me what new arcs they've added compared to the first one? Also it's good to see that they chopped down on the QTE's and platforming.

But wtf NamcoBandai, Not even a digital version for the vita? How we even getting DBZ: Battle of Z as Vita digital title but not One Piece? Maaaaan #salty

mhs004

Yeah, this is total bullshit.

As big a Op fan as I am I can understand why they did not. Vita has not been selling well in the U.S and One Piece is not that popular here either. I'm still mad about it and wish it was coming here but I still can understand their decision.

Does this game start in the beginning of the series? Or is it just the first one that does? Also, do they convey the story well?

Kater

Banned
Damn, it's almost here!
My wallet will be empty until next year because all those studios keep making games I want.
Damn, I really need a PS3.:(

Couple questions:

1. Is there a better leveling system in this game? Because I felt like I was never really "upgrading" my characters in the first game and the coin system was pretty boring and uninspired to me...

2. Is there a better "flow" to the game, or is it like the first game where you are really just spending a ton of hours going through story mode using only Luffy and then eventually go back to the free mode type stuff in order to play as other characters?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game is much more of a traditional musou title now and not like the first game at all. The story is original and you start getting other characters to use right after the first stage.

It's definitely worth checking out if you're a musou and/or One Piece fan.

Ah, sweet, the OP is up. Amazing job, it looks fantastic! However, this is the new world, and also as you can see on the picture, Aokiji is no longer Aokiji. He has gone back to his real name, Kuzan :)

I'm really excited for this game. I'm a big One Piece fan. I've been anticipating this game for months. Such a shame that it comes out right as my university studies start. I've pre-ordered the game, however I did so at The Hut because it was much cheaper, so I probably wont get it until like a week or two after launch.

He
has a few different forms and once you beat the game, you can use him as a support character like other bosses(Krieg, Magellan, etc.)
:)

That's awesome. I'm not entirely sure how the support characters work in this game, but I suppose I'll find out.

Does this game start in the beginning of the series? Or is it just the first one that does? Also, do they convey the story well?

It's noncanon.

Jaroof

Great job, OP!
I can't wait for this game. Been waiting for it ever since I finished the first game.

27 playable characters is awesome!

Great job, OP!
I can't wait for this game. Been waiting for it ever since I finished the first game.

27 playable characters is awesome!

37 if you count the pre-timeskip versions of the strawhats and blackbeard with both his powers. It's such a huge improvement compared to the roster of the first game.

Espada

Goddamn, this snuck up on me. It sucks that there's no retail version for the U.S. because I'd be the first in the store on release day. Now I'm stuck trying to find import copies.

Oh well, soon I'll be enjoying OP fun.

That's awesome. I'm not entirely sure how the support characters work in this game, but I suppose I'll find out.
Basically, once you build your meter to activate Haki, if you defeat enough enemies with haki activated, you can use a crew strike. If your support is a playable character, the character you choose comes in and you control them for a short time, just make sure you end it with a musou attack! If you choose a support-only/enemy character, they only come in and do a musou attack.

Basically, once you build your meter to activate Haki, if you defeat enough enemies with haki activated, you can use a crew strike. If your support is a playable character, the character you choose comes in and you control them for a short time, just make sure you end it with a musou attack! If you choose a support-only/enemy character, they only come in and do a musou attack.

Hmm, but not every character can use haki, right?

Okay, so support-characters only come in and do a special? That's unfortunate. I'd love to see them do some serious DLC/expansion with more playable characters. Would love to actually play as Don Krieg and Magellan, not to mention Kid and Doflamingo who aren't even in the game at all I think.

Hmm, but not every character can use haki, right?

Okay, so support-characters only come in and do a special? That's unfortunate. I'd love to see them do some serious DLC/expansion with more playable characters. Would love to actually play as Don Krieg and Magellan, not to mention Kid and Doflamingo who aren't even in the game at all I think.
Nope! In this game, every character has haki. I think they call it the "Style" bar?

Yep, only come in and do a special. It's disappointing, but at least it's nice to see them do SOMETHING! Kidd isn't in, which is unfortunate. I'd love to see all the Supernova in this, especially Kidd, X. Drake, and Apoo.

daoster

Hmm, I bought the first one......though I haven't beaten it..maybe I should buy this one too. I love me some One Piece

Nope! In this game, every character has haki. I think they call it the "Style" bar?

Yep, only come in and do a special. It's disappointing, but at least it's nice to see them do SOMETHING! Kidd isn't in, which is unfortunate. I'd love to see all the Supernova in this, especially Kidd, X. Drake, and Apoo.

Oh, they all can use haki? That doesn't make any sense, but hey, it's noncanon and it's a video game -- it's not supposed to make sense :)

A Supernova (or Worst Generation) expansion would be awesome. I need me some Doflamingo and Magellan too though. I mean, they're most likely not going to do another sequel on the PS3, so why not do an expansion pack? Would be there on day one :)

Oh, they all can use haki? That doesn't make any sense, but hey, it's noncanon and it's a video game -- it's not supposed to make sense :)

A Supernova (or Worst Generation) expansion would be awesome. I need me some Doflamingo and Magellan too though. I mean, they're most likely not going to do another sequel on the PS3, so why not do an expansion pack? Would be there on day one :)

I don't think they all use haki, but that it's a super mode they go into or something while some characters use haki.

First English review?

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps3/one_piece_pirate_warriors_2

Well worth its weight in gold, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 continues the recent trend of great Warriors titles. Even if you're observing it while wearing an eye-patch, it’s clearly the most visually charming Koei release yet, but the game’s greatest hook is its incredibly diverse character roster. Fans will feel right at home on these waters, while newcomers might just discover a map that leads to a treasure chest full of empowering gameplay.

8/10

The rest should start rolling in soon enough.

First English review?

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps3/one_piece_pirate_warriors_2

8/10

The rest should start rolling in soon enough.

Nice first score, now I'm even more hyped. Than again, that score isn't surprising given that you can do this:
650x.jpg

Mesoian

So is this more fully fleshed out than the first one? I was about two steps away from purchasing the first one before reading reviews and seeing that it was basically the lightest mosou game on the market (as far as content is concerned). Does it look like this one has similar problems?

Ah, that makes sense.

There's been other reviews in English, but they've been of the Japan import.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant, non import reviews.

So is this more fully fleshed out than the first one? I was about two steps away from purchasing the first one before reading reviews and seeing that it was basically the lightest mosou game on the market (as far as content is concerned). Does it look like this one has similar problems?

Yeah this is much closer to other Warrior games and does away with crappy platform sections. The first one is great too, no doubt and you should track it down if you can get it cheap at some point.

Masamuna

I had no interest in the sequel after spending a good deal of time with the original earlier this year. But after reading the OP Ill definitely cave in once/if it goes on sale via ps+. Hopefully by the time I'm done with DW8/Next/Kamen Rider I'll be able to gomu gomu with Luffy!

Tizoc

Just beat the prologue. The story looks lame so I'll skip it whenever possible.
Gonna finish up the game on easy first then do another play through on normal for the s-rank bonuses.

EmptySpace has been a One Piece fan for the past 14 years, but the gamer inside EmptySpace can not reconcile with a $50 game that is "quite average, quite okay, pure fanservice".

Top Bottom