• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 |OT| New World Disorder

Banzai

Is the multiplayer any better in this one? in the first splitscreen was almost impossible because of the cluttered screen, and online coop was either really out of sync with other players or connecting to friends wouldnt work at all.

either way, my game should be here tomorrow!

CE pics:
6hm37sO.jpg

kVm2McR.jpg

Who said it's average? Have you played it? It looks like an amazing game.

EmptySpace disagrees.

low-resolution textures, especially environments. flat textures is fine. see ni no kuni. creative side is dependent on one piece, but technical side is lacking. pop-ins. no aa. no dof. no motion blur, object- or camera-based.

pre-baked animations and physics. non-procedural. enemies fall the same way, regardless of where you hit them, how you hit them. check rockstar games' euphoria engine, or any havok engine demo for physics sim and collision detection. also, inertia/motion do not affect impact of attack. animations look clunky and rough, evident when moving character or transitioning between attacks, granted it could be a design choice like how sprites in fighters don't necessarily show full-motion swings especially light attacks. animations are varied, though.

map design is non-existent in majority of levels. maybe musou restriction. just flat grounds all throughout, arena-based areas and a new coat of paint everytime. camera is not smooth.

no distinct playstyles between characters, just non-stop repetitive attacks or at least majority of them. musou genre in general is flawed design-wise. can not evolve, slow progression of genre from 17 years ago until today. there is satisfaction with hitting 1000 enemies on-screen, but no deeper experiences.

would rather play an action-adventure one piece a la god of war. puzzles, much better ai, platforming, map and level affecting gameplay, etc.

would go against one piece manga and anime style, but there can never be 1:1 scale across platforms. ever. harry potter movie is different from harry potter book. walking dead game different than walking dead comic. people should understand each medium should stand on its own and not try to make one medium be like the other. spiderman in comics cracks jokes every time, amazing spiderman movie tried to replicate comic book style but did not work.

Ew, stop referring to yourself in the third person, its not cute and you aren't going to develop a cool NeoGAF persona...

As for the game, do the characters that were in the first play differently in this one? Are their movesets upgraded? A lot of non luffy characters felt pretty clunky in the first game

Ew, stop referring to yourself in the third person, its not cute and you aren't going to develop a cool NeoGAF persona...

As for the game, do the characters that were in the first play differently in this one? Are their movesets upgraded? A lot of non luffy characters felt pretty clunky in the first game

robotzombie should not care about how EmptySpace posts, but rather the context of his posts.

Whatever EmptySpace wants his persona to be is EmptySpace's own problem, and robotzombie should just care about his apostrophes and hyphens and his own problems as well.

Takuan

EmptySpace disagrees.

low-resolution textures, especially environments. flat textures is fine. see ni no kuni. creative side is dependent on one piece, but technical side is lacking. pop-ins. no aa. no dof. no motion blur, object- or camera-based.

pre-baked animations and physics. non-procedural. enemies fall the same way, regardless of where you hit them, how you hit them. check rockstar games' euphoria engine, or any havok engine demo for physics sim and collision detection. also, inertia/motion do not affect impact of attack. animations look clunky and rough, evident when moving character or transitioning between attacks, granted it could be a design choice like how sprites in fighters don't necessarily show full-motion swings especially light attacks. animations are varied, though.

map design is non-existent in majority of levels. maybe musou restriction. just flat grounds all throughout, arena-based areas and a new coat of paint everytime. camera is not smooth.

no distinct playstyles between characters, just non-stop repetitive attacks or at least majority of them. musou genre in general is flawed design-wise. can not evolve, slow progression of genre from 17 years ago until today. there is satisfaction with hitting 1000 enemies on-screen, but no deeper experiences.

would rather play an action-adventure one piece a la god of war. puzzles, much better ai, platforming, map and level affecting gameplay, etc.

would go against one piece manga and anime style, but there can never be 1:1 scale across platforms. ever. harry potter movie is different from harry potter book. walking dead game different than walking dead comic. people should understand each medium should stand on its own and not try to make one medium be like the other. spiderman in comics cracks jokes every time, amazing spiderman movie tried to replicate comic book style but did not work.

Yup, sounds like a musuo game - which is fine by me. I'll likely pick this up if there's a PSN+ sale.

Will answer you when I unlock characters to try other than Luffy.

Luckily coins are no longer search for an attack one etc but rather any coins can be set on Attack, Defense or Life and depending on it's rarity/stars. Also you can use Belli's to add levels to characters now, whooo!
Oh man that Luffy figure looks greeeeaaaaat!!

:( I don't think I can justify spending an extra £30 on it though :(
Seen my above post? Good thing I used my Shopto credits to drop the price else I will be really pissed lol.

Edit: Word of advice do not try to take on the (early story spoilers)
Strawhats (when they turn 'evil')
when they're bunched together, they hurt.

All the strawhat pirates seem to have completely new moves based off the trailers. They all have post-timeskip powers. No idea about Ace, Hancock, Whitebeard and Jimbei though.

i don't think EmptySpace played a musou-like game this gen.Euphoria physics is nice but when you're showing 30+ like ennemies at once , you're seeing the limits of what you can do on consoles.

Animations are that way because it's an anime game and you're relying on anime effects.

It's been said up there but this is nothing that isn't like all the games of the same genre , especially on this gen.
That would have been a complain if this was a next -gen title but even those beautifull havok demos are limited and aren't used fully on console , and never in a context of a musou game.

Seen my above post? Good thing I used my Shopto credits to drop the price else I will be really pissed lol.

Yeah, it's a great price. If I was paying £40 for the game itself I'd have bumped it up to the SE. But this years going to be expensive with one thing or another so I can't justify it unfortunately :(

Does someone want to test something with me sometime soon? I have the Japanese Vita version and I want to see if I can play with EU/US PS3 players sometime, haha.

Estimated Delivery Date
On or before 9th September

* Most items arrive within the estimated delivery time. If you have not received your item in this time, don't worry as delays do occasionally occur. We ask you to wait 14 calendar days for UK, 21 calendar days for Europe and 30 calendar days for rest of world before you contact us to let us know you have not received your item.

Welp. That's what you get for being cheap :p

Setsuna

Wheres my bleach game japan? like really! I know we had the bleach games on psp those were good.

I feel like soul resurrection ruined all chances of a bleach fighting game on consoles

Awesome! I'll figure out how to start an online match(lol) and try to invite you now?

Sure just customising my coins etc.
Edit: View invites is darkened out =/
Wheres my bleach game japan? like really! I know we had the bleach games on psp those were good.

I feel like soul resurrection ruined all chances of a bleach fighting game on consoles
Bleach manga ruined the chances tbh, because of how slow it went, the anime was cancelled and thus any chances for any games.

Got the game but promised a friend I'd play it in co-op with him starting monday. It will be hard to keep my hands of it untill then :p

Does anyone know if a character's level carries over from the first Pirate Warriors? (Either for their New World or pre-timeskip variant)

Well, I don't have a ps3, or a tv, so nope. But I kinda miss the manga though. Is there anywhere I can read it online (that is legit)? And no, I don't want to watch the anime crap which half of the episode is just everybody making weird noises out of their mouth because of something that isn't surprise worthy.

Well, I don't have a ps3, or a tv, so nope. But I kinda miss the manga though. Is there anywhere I can read it online (that is legit)? And no, I don't want to watch the anime crap which half of the episode is just everybody making weird noises out of their mouth because of something that isn't surprise worthy.

There are loads and loads and loads of websites to read it online, and you can find it in high-quality too. They're all illegal though, so linking to them is a no-no.

Kensuke

So, I've been playing the game a ton for review. Here are a few impressions. Didn't play the original, so can't comment on that.

- You get a new character after pretty much every story level. The game is obviously very repetitive, but changing characters has kept it fresh for me. I love discovering what moves work best for each character. Kuzan an Ace are a lot of fun to play with.

- I also really appreciate the fact that you can spend money to level up characters. Limited to the level of your highest character. You get plenty of money, so even if you use a lot of characters there is no need to grind.

- The new partner support mechanic is cool. I love bringing in Franky and spamming his massive fireball with R2.

- Story shits all over the canon, but I get it's all in good fun.

- The game looks terrible. Animations, character models, all of it. Menu's elicit PS2 memories. It's very hard on the eyes after playing Ultimate Ninja Storm.

Overall, I'm having fun. Not sure if I would recommend it to people that have never seen One Piece though. The best thing about it is playing with all those familiar characters.

I stopped reading the manga right before Punk Hazard started. Will this spoil that for me? All I know about it is that
Smoker and Doflamingo are involved and at some point the crew fights a dragon (I learned that bit from the Unlimited World Red reveal).

I wanna dive into this asap, but I'll wait until I can get caught up in the manga if need be.

The thing I'm concerned about is how they use the content they lift from the canon arcs.

Ex: Stage 1 Spoilers
Enel's post-fight cutscene in the first stage is how the actual fight went down in the manga, despite the story being Time Skip crew escaping Smoker / Garp and none of the stage events really being related to anything that actually happened in Skypiea.

I just don't want something major like that being spoiled for me via playing this game. I'm not even sure how far along Punk Hazard was at the time of the game coming out originally, so IDK if they would even be able to do similar or not.

Does anyone know if a character's level carries over from the first Pirate Warriors? (Either for their New World or pre-timeskip variant)
Nope. For having a OPPW1 save you get a 3 star One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 coin and a bunch of money (50k maybe? Not 100% sure on the amount).

Started the game today

-Nami in dynasty warrior clothes rocks.

-Story is delicious nonsense ( even by one piece standards )

-I'm glad QTE are gone.

-Game is quite fun

Do you need to be friend with someone to play online with or there is Random ?

You can play with friends or random, for battles you can press start to request an S.O.S before you start and random people may respond to you and can co-op with you. You can even go online to check for randoms who are sending S.O.Ss, but like I noted above they may cancel the battle etc.

Tizoc

I stopped reading the manga right before Punk Hazard started. Will this spoil that for me? All I know about it is that
Smoker and Doflamingo are involved and at some point the crew fights a dragon (I learned that bit from the Unlimited World Red reveal).

I wanna dive into this asap, but I'll wait until I can get caught up in the manga if need be.

The thing I'm concerned about is how they use the content they lift from the canon arcs.

Ex: Stage 1 Spoilers
Enel's post-fight cutscene in the first stage is how the actual fight went down in the manga, despite the story being Time Skip crew escaping Smoker / Garp and none of the stage events really being related to anything that actually happened in Skypiea.

I just don't want something major like that being spoiled for me via playing this game. I'm not even sure how far along Punk Hazard was at the time of the game coming out originally, so IDK if they would even be able to do similar or not.

Nope. For having a OPPW1 save you get a 3 star One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 coin and a bunch of money (50k maybe? Not 100% sure on the amount).
Story-wise I'd say what you know at that point should be enough, since this was developed while the gang were still on PH.

Just got my copy today. Really enjoying it. It's a blast to play and such an improvement on the original. No more annoying platforming. Boy I sure dont miss those bits. It's just full on action. Just done 3 levels so far and having fun levelling and finding the coins.

Check out Viz's online Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha subscription. :)

Thanks for answering. Saves me hours of trying to grind the remaining characters to max. I've only managed to max out the monster trio, Robin, Brook, and Hancock.

Can't wait to come home to this installed tomorrow, provided the Store updates before my PS3 does its daily checkup.

I'm incredibly excited, first game was the reason I got my PS3 and I loved it. As badly as I'd love to play as Shanks finally getting Enel and Aokiji should be good enough to hold me over. How is the dream story though? That's the only thing I've been wondering about.

Top Bottom