• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 |OT| New World Disorder

I honestly like Sanji, then again I guess since he's my favorite character I guess it makes me a bit bias. He is a bit flighty I'll admit, but the weirdest part is I hate playing Marco vehemently but I don't mind Sanji. I'm still upset we didn't get more Chopper transformations, his crew strike could have been amazing. Also, Chopperman DLC costume, get on it. I still don't have Akainu, which is kind of upsetting, though I'd honestly rather play as Kizaru.

Sora_N

Having a bit of trouble with the game, playing on normal. My crew mates always seem to get in trouble, way too often. Should I try to conquer territories more first before I advance in the objectives? I just levelled everyone up with Beli, not sure if that helps.

Jaroof

Luffy said that he would "kill" Blackbeard in one of the last missions. Way to go being disrespectful to Oda. Luffy has never used the word "kill" in the manga, and not only does he never use that word, but he never actually kills anyone.

Yeah, that kind of bugged me, too. He said it multiple times. Every time, I was just like "...what?".

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The game's pretty poorly localized in general. Aside from the character weirdness, there's a TON of grammatical errors (I even spotted a your/you're error once).

Banzai

Luffy said that he would "kill" Blackbeard in one of the last missions. Way to go being disrespectful to Oda. Luffy has never used the word "kill" in the manga, and not only does he never use that word, but he never actually kills anyone.

yeah that annoyed me a little. Did he actually say it though, or was it just the subtitles that said it? I know enough japanese but i wasnt paying attention to the the voices at the time.

Having a bit of trouble with the game, playing on normal. My crew mates always seem to get in trouble, way too often. Should I try to conquer territories more first before I advance in the objectives? I just levelled everyone up with Beli, not sure if that helps.

Really? I found the game to be pretty easy, although some of the latter missions were a little more difficult, especially that one where Ener keeps reviving pacifistas and Garp would get in trouble all the time.

Yeah, your allies will get in trouble a lot, so you should definitely go to them, heal them and drop some attacks on whoever is attacking them.

You should always start by taking territories, unless some objective is urgent. Look at the effects that the territory has -- does it up attack or defense; does it heal; etc -- and then decide which territory to conquer first.

yeah that annoyed me a little. Did he actually say it though, or was it just the subtitles that said it? I know enough japanese but i wasnt paying attention to the the voices at the time.

No idea if the script or translation is at fault for this.

Akito

I finished this a couple of days ago, really fun game which is better than the predecessor in almost every way. First of all no more shitty and infuriating platforming sections and QTEs. I like the new assist and haki mechanics even though some of the mooks can be annoying at time when they got haki on before you can oneshot them. Coin collecting is also much more bearable this time around and it's a godsend that you can level up characters with berries now, that way you can pick up any new character with no real drawbacks especially with the gigantic size of the roster.

Most of the characters play as I imagine they would, in both style and effectiveness, the more overpowered characters in the series tend to turn out overpowered as well, like the 3 admirals, WB, BB or Boa. The upgraded version of BB in particular is just ridiculous. Marco, Law and Enel are also pretty good but I needed sometime to get used to them. The strawhats themselves only got some tweaks in comparison to their pre-timeskip versions but that's not necessary a bad thing, only Chopper got actually worse, he's more of a joke character now.

The online mode works this time and the game runs almost as good as if you were playing alone. There are almost too many things to unlock in this game, I wish there was a "Buy all" option because that would have saved me like half an hour clicking through the gallery.

Now to the more negative side of things, I think the game is of the right length but is now way too easy, I don't think I died even once during the entire game on normal, only once or twice I had to start a mission over because I didn't pay attention to some of the NPCs. The first game did this better, some of the boss fights were actually challenging as they should be. The story made no sense at all, I don't think I can write a more incomprehensible mess even if I tried to.

Quick question while the thread is bumped: How do I unlock the 'final episode' of the main log? I assumed it was something like play all the crew episodes, but there's a lot of those and it'd be handy if it's only specific ones I need to do.

On the subject of characters... am I missing something or is there any particular reason Chopper is so fucking useless to play as? I remembered him being a lot more useful in the first game.

Akito

Quick question while the thread is bumped: How do I unlock the 'final episode' of the main log? I assumed it was something like play all the crew episodes, but there's a lot of those and it'd be handy if it's only specific ones I need to do.

On the subject of characters... am I missing something or is there any particular reason Chopper is so fucking useless to play as? I remembered him being a lot more useful in the first game.
From the PS3Trophies forum

Complete the Pirate Log main episodes up to the final episode of chapter 4. Then go to the the Pirate Log crew episode menu and complete the episode of said characters:

Luffy
Zoro
Nami
Usopp
Sanji
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brook
Hancock
Jinbei
Crocodile
Buggy
Mihawk
Kuma
Ao Kiji
Garp
Hannibal
Magellan
Marco
Jozu
Vista
Ace
Whitebeard

Whitebeard’s episode will unlock as last. When completed return to the Pirate Log main episodes and replay chapter 4’s episode 2. Halfway through you’ll get a mission to rescue Whitebeard and lead Ace and the others to him instead of defeating him, so whatever you do don’t touch Whitebeard.

When this is done the level should end and the final chapter should unlock.

Yeah you'll have to slog all the way through Crew Episodes once you've completed the main game. Play through all/most the character missions until you unlock Whitebeard and complete his log. Then you get a message pop up saying there's an alternative story to complete on 4.2. When you finish that you'll get the final act.

Edit: Or what he said ^^ :p

Quick question while the thread is bumped

While it's bumped? I see that you're a junior, so just in case you didn't know, in the top right corner of the thread there's a "subscribe" button. You can then see your subscriptions from the control panel or subscriptions links in the top left of the forum. It's really useful for big threads and OT:s. Some people only ever visit their subscribed threads even.

Oh and you never need to be afraid of bumping an OT by the way.

Jaroof

I just started playing with Kizaru, finally.. I've had him unlocked, but I never played with him.
I love how spot-on the animations are in this game. They definitely put a lot of work into these games.
It just makes me wonder: are the developers really One Piece fans, too, or do they just get a bunch of information from Oda & the writers in order to get the game to where it is?

While it's bumped? I see that you're a junior, so just in case you didn't know, in the top right corner of the thread there's a "subscribe" button. You can then see your subscriptions from the control panel or subscriptions links in the top left of the forum. It's really useful for big threads and OT:s. Some people only ever visit their subscribed threads even.

Oh and you never need to be afraid of bumping an OT by the way.

Haha... actually I wasn't quite a hundred percent on how the subscribe button works. Last forum I spent any real length of time on didn't have any such feature, so it's all very new and scary to me.

Cheers for the tip though.

Whoa, Eneru really is fast. He's a very strong character. I'm surprised that he has another action bar. Some characters like Franky and Brukk had that in the first game, but they don't in this game so I figured no character would have it. Really odd seeing that show up out of nowhere. Meanwhile, Kizaru is quite average. And for someone who's supposed to move at the speed of light, he does it too little.

I just started playing with Kizaru, finally.. I've had him unlocked, but I never played with him.
I love how spot-on the animations are in this game. They definitely put a lot of work into these games.
It just makes me wonder: are the developers really One Piece fans, too, or do they just get a bunch of information from Oda & the writers in order to get the game to where it is?

The Gundam games are the same way! The characters do a lot of their famous poses and quotes from the various TV shows all throughout battle, which make them a lot of fun to play. Same with the Fist of the North Star games. I suspect that they comb over the shows and manga to get things "just right" for the fans to geek out over.

In other news, the Hong Kong store still doesn't have any English DLC! This is really disappointing for those of us who imported the physical edition of the game from Asia. :(

Uhm... Neither does Europe. Unless some DLC was just released some day ago.

Well, I don't have a Euro account so I wouldn't know that, heh. It's still awful considering that the US store already has four DLC costumes available.

Going to the Hong Kong store is an exercise in frustration since they have all the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors costumes as DLC available...but only for the Chinese language and Japanese language versions of the game...the English-language version has nothing.

Lol at Kizaru's alternate costume.
He gets a tie!

Wow, just got it myself. That 500,000 Beli tie.

Well, I don't have a Euro account so I wouldn't know that, heh. It's still awful considering that the US store already has four DLC costumes available.

Going to the Hong Kong store is an exercise in frustration since they have all the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors costumes as DLC available...but only for the Chinese language and Japanese language versions of the game...the English-language version has nothing.

Only Dynasty and Samurai Warrior costumes, huh? No huge loss then I guess. I think there are Film Z and/or Strong World costumes in Japan, or maybe they're not out yet? I hope they bring that over.

Wow, just got it myself. That 500,000 Beli tie.

Only Dynasty and Samurai Warrior costumes, huh? No huge loss then I guess. I think there are Film Z and/or Strong World costumes in Japan, or maybe they're not out yet? I hope they bring that over.

There are free costumes for all the characters as well (Chinese and Japanese versions), they might be from Film Z or Strong World, I haven't seen either of those (I only read the manga). Like Luffy in samurai gear and some of the female characters in kimonos.

If you buy the Asian English-language disc version it comes with some DLC code for a Luffy costume (the only alt costume I have now darnit) where he's wearing what looks to be some kind of red overcoat with a big piece of meat hanging from his back. I think that's from one of the movies.

There are free costumes for all the characters as well (Chinese and Japanese versions), they might be from Film Z or Strong World, I haven't seen either of those (I only read the manga). Like Luffy in samurai gear and some of the female characters in kimonos.

If you buy the Asian English-language disc version it comes with some DLC code for a Luffy costume (the only alt costume I have now darnit) where he's wearing what looks to be some kind of red overcoat with a big piece of meat hanging from his back. I think that's from one of the movies.

Free? They gotta bring that over here asap. I also pretty much only read the manga but seriously, watch Strong World and Film Z. They're far from perfect but they're still really good. They're the only films written by Oda and they have great pacing. Also much better animations than the anime in general.

Yeah, the Luffy costume you mentioned is Luffy's Film Z-costume unless I'm drunk and confused.

Eneru might just become my main. He's ridiculously fast. You can combo bosses so easily; especially if you use the stun skills. Kizaru was way more fun to play as the second time when I realized the power of his dash. Akainu is great. Blackbeard is strong but slow, and like all of his attacks are "black hole". His special attacks are insanely powerful, and the double ability version is even more insane. He might be slow, but holy crap his special attacks are absolutely crazy.

SykoTech

I love the little touches in the game, like how Sanji can only do chip damage against women.

And how Robin has to change her attack method when she uses her Level 2 against a female. Lol.

The main game's a lot of fun too. Lots of great combos and animations.

There's also a big lack of "little touches". Like again how Luffy says that he'll kill Blackbeard, and how Sanji first says that he'd never attack a women and then does it anyway, how Jozu is just a reskinned commander, how the zombies are just regular enemies coloured green etcetera.

Still love the game though :p It's my GOTY so far. I just think there's quite a big lack of details.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
More new DLC:

Bundle 2 ($3.99)
Extra Challenge Scenario 3 ($0.99)
Extra Challenge Scenario 4 ($0.99)
Nami Dynasty Warriors Costume ($1.99)
Prequel Costume: Zoro (Free)
Robin Dynasty Warriors Costume ($1.99)

The first challenge is pretty fun to try to get as high of a score as possible in. I imagine it would obviously be easier the higher level you are, but this is one of my best attempts so far. I didn't get my record on camera but this is pretty close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuaZxwxlls The second challenge is way tougher. The enemies deal insane damage and they're all logia-types, so it's difficult to take them out when you don't have any style action.

Also, here's a 20-minute version of the best song in the game, if anyone is interested :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiCcIWKkiDM

Kanokare

Wish this thread was more alive :( My friend and I have been uploading some videos to our Youtube and compared to Dynasty Warriors, it's like an inception of niche in a niche. Game seems really underrated as a Musou game goes. Maybe a cross over One Piece musou game will get the musou community interested more.

Wish this thread was more alive :( My friend and I have been uploading some videos to our Youtube and compared to Dynasty Warriors, it's like an inception of niche in a niche. Game seems really underrated as a Musou game goes. Maybe a cross over One Piece musou game will get the musou community interested more.

I tried to keep it alive but yeah there's not a huge amount of interest for it, which is no surprise since it's an anime game :p But yeah, it's a great game. It's one of my GOTY-nominees.

Started playing this since it's so cheap the past week and I am pretty enjoying it.

I really do like the new mechanics such as using money to level up people, coins not being the end-all to raise stats, BINGO!, the crew strikes and the improvement to the characters.

I'm also enjoying the fanfiction story and do like how much more musou this game is instead of half musou/half bad platform the first game was.

There are some things that I wished they changed though. Really wish there's a jump button, I mean it's not needed, but just feels weird that there isn't one.

I really dislike how slow everyone feels while running. Doesn't help that I have wasted time basically running from one part of the map to the next trying to keep everyone alive or whatever. Kinda wish the game would tell me what I need to meet for the S ranks too.

I'm having fun though and this definitely scratches my Musou itch now that I'm done with DW8.

Why would there be a jump button? What purpose would it even serve?

I just want to jump!

I guess it's less actual jumping but I do find it annoying if I'm caught up in an enemy combo, there's really no good way to get out of it. I can't use a special, maybe activate my style if my gauge is fill.

I just want to jump!

I guess it's less actual jumping but I do find it annoying if I'm caught up in an enemy combo, there's really no good way to get out of it. I can't use a special, maybe activate my style if my gauge is fill.

You can try to use the X button to dash out of it. I think jumping would break the game and be completely unnecessary with the level design. Oh, it's been a while since I played, but at least Sanji can jump, right? So at least there's that :)

Refugio

Bought this about a month of two ago for $30(I guess there was a price drop or something. I remember getting the first one for $50). Just went through the main log for the first time so now I think I have to do all the crew logs in order to unlock the final episodes.

Really enjoying it a lot more than the first. Love being able to use berries keep level parity between the characters. Let's me just pick a random character when I want without fear that I'll suck. Though I just barely used Kuzan for the first time and my goodness is he fun to use. His attacks have nice range and I had much easier time getting rid of the enemies when they used their haki. I can't wait to unlock the other Admirals.

Going at a pretty slow pace. Hope I can complete it before Unlimited World Red releases lol. Been playing so many One Piece games lately.

Top Bottom