• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 |OT| New World Disorder

My god, Marco is incredible. My jaw dropped when he took out maybe two hundred guys at once at the beginning of one of the optional logs.

Kuzan's pretty fun, too.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are the Crew Fight/"optional" logs anything like the non-story stages in Gundam Musou? That is, are the enemies/objectives randomized at all?

Have to agree on Kuzan. EXTREMELY FUN. Amazing. Just a really powerful and crazy character to build combos and get rid of hordes in general. I tend to either freeze and kick them with R2 (which is pretty damn cool that it connects to everyone frozen) or make it hail when I'm in a Style Action. Got the hang of Marco and I'm having a blast with him too.

I'm a bit disappointed with Perona. Tried playing as her and she was almost always vulnerable in hordes (especially when you use her ghost form). Is it me or is she really hard to build up the crew gauge?

Kuzan is super fun to play as. Seems to be one of the most useful and powerful characters in the game, too.

Marco feels way too flighty, though. I feel like every other move of his has him flying up and all over the place. Maybe I just have to get used to him?

Yeah I felt that at first for Marco, but I actually got quickly used to him and he's ultra fun.

GRHH!! Robin is a right bitch when you're up against her. Spamming her hands everywhere. Especially with a slow character she's just an annoyance.

Game froze on me yesterday part way in a level and I seemed to have hit a glitch on Thriller Bark where it wouldn't let me progress, as all the gates were closed where I needed to get to. Just kept getting spawning Zombies and cloned Robins :/

Not a fan of Kuma unfortunately. Mihawk is superfast and you can chain his square combos without a break.

Sweet, I got the game today. Didn't think it would show up until Monday. Considering whether or not I should record my footage and upload to Youtube or not. There's quite a bunch of footage up already.

Have to agree on Kuzan. EXTREMELY FUN. Amazing. Just a really powerful and crazy character to build combos and get rid of hordes in general. I tend to either freeze and kick them with R2 (which is pretty damn cool that it connects to everyone frozen) or make it hail when I'm in a Style Action. Got the hang of Marco and I'm having a blast with him too.
I find him incredibly useful when the enemy still on their style gauge lol, just triangle and square all the way for those moments lmao; Marco is awesome especially when you need to take out a higher health enemy/general.

Played for a while today. It's great and they've really made a whole bunch of improvements. I really like the way you can level up characters by spending money -- it's clever and works well. The story really is nonsensical though. Literally nothing makes sense. But that doesn't matter too much really.

I just unlocked Chopper and Brook. Haven't tried Brook yet, but Chopper indeed isn't too much better now. Shame. He's okay to play as, but his moveset is really lacking. Nami is really powerful though. She was weak in the first game but now she's incredible. Create some clouds with square and press R2 to deal insane damage.

Also, the zombies are pretty much just regular enemies painted green :X Meh. Still glad Thriller Bark is in. Love that place, and although the atmosphere isn't really there in this game, it's still great to run around in this environment.

Acid08

Banned
Is the Vita version import friendly? Guessing none of the versions have English menus or subtitles but as long as it's simple to navigate or should be good.

I find him incredibly useful when the enemy still on their style gauge lol, just triangle and square all the way for those moments lmao; Marco is awesome especially when you need to take out a higher health enemy/general.

Exactly. When I played the Marineford episode with Kuzan, it got super chaotic and had to use the Style Action. Damn, I obliterated everything in my path. Leaders, bosses, and everything in sight froze and broke. It was amazing.

Played for a while today. It's great and they've really made a whole bunch of improvements. I really like the way you can level up characters by spending money -- it's clever and works well. The story really is nonsensical though. Literally nothing makes sense. But that doesn't matter too much really.

I just unlocked Chopper and Brook. Haven't tried Brook yet, but Chopper indeed isn't too much better now. Shame. He's okay to play as, but his moveset is really lacking. Nami is really powerful though. She was weak in the first game but now she's incredible. Create some clouds with square and press R2 to deal insane damage.

Also, the zombies are pretty much just regular enemies painted green :X Meh. Still glad Thriller Bark is in. Love that place, and although the atmosphere isn't really there in this game, it's still great to run around in this environment.

Yeah Chopper hasn't been fun at all. Nami, though, was been a vast improvement. I really like her in this game. I hear ya on the zombies. Makes me wish they could have just used the zombies from the Cruise game or something.

Just played the first few missions and it's definitely an upgrade over the first. Still, I really really wish Omega Force would clean up the framerate in their recent releases. It's getting pretty grating.

Really hoping this game will come to the PS4's online store/streaming service, or I'll just import the 3rd one because surely it'll come to PS4, this game does look like a ton of fun, how long does it run?

Wow, Marco is incredibly strong. Easily the strongest character I've unlocked thus far. Kuzan is also great, but holy shit Marco just wrecks everything. Brook is also really strong. I can't seem to find much point in turning enemies to sleep though. You can make them dance by pressing R2 while they sleep, though I don't know if that's just for giggles or if it's actually useful. Brook has one heck of a strong special move also. Played some more of Franky and he really isn't all that great. He's the second weakest character thus far. I just unlocked Perona and she's alright. Not too weak but also not particularly strong. Jimbei is strong but slow; fast enemies can interrupt his attacks pretty easily.

Out of all the characters I've unlocked so far, Kuzan is my go to character. He's very fun and powerful.

Have they toned the runner speed down? I remember the first one Luffy was like Speedy Gonzales. Perhaps a wee bit too fast but this one they run too slow at top speed.

Yeah, it feels like you move slower. It also feels like some characters are slower than others, although maybe that's just because of running animations.

Speaking of running, not only is Chopper a pretty weak character, but the sound he makes when he runs gets very annoying very quickly.

Speaking of running, not only is Chopper a pretty weak character, but the sound he makes when he runs gets very annoying very quickly.

You can take some of the edge off by lowering the sound effects and voices in the options menu. I had to put them at levels 3 or 4 to be able to hear the music without voices and sound effects screaming on top.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gah. I fail to see how S, A, S averages to an A, while A, B, A also averages to an A.

Oh yeah, also, couldn't put up with how shit the first game is anymore, so I took the plunge and grabbed the second. It's sooooooo good.

Finished the Main Log
(sans the true Final Chapter)
. Overall, I really liked this game. WAY better than Pirate Warriors 1, that's for sure. The story was definitely weird and not very New World oriented (since it's just Punk Hazard), but it's a dream story, so hey, long as the gameplay is good, it's all good for me. I used Sanji for the first time for the last episode and I kinda wish I had used someone else. Didn't like his movesets at all.

I'll tackle the characters Logs later. I'll probably use the remaining characters I haven't played as yet for those (Buggy should be fun).

Sora_N

Just tried Franky, what a damn beast lol. Used him in Thriller Bark episode.

Just unlocked Brook and Chopper, probably gonna try Chopper next.

I think I'm not into the 'Technical' people, didn't like using Nami because her moves didn't feel that strong. Smoker was ok though.

Gah. I fail to see how S, A, S averages to an A, while A, B, A also averages to an A.

When you get S, A, S, it's not that the average is an A, it's just that you didn't get an S in all categories.

I think I'm not into the 'Technical' people, didn't like using Nami because her moves didn't feel that strong. Smoker was ok though.

Pretty sure technical is just their style, i.e. what happens when you press R1. Her moves has nothing to do with it. Also, you're probably playing her wrong if you think she's not very strong, but that's perfectly okay because you can't like all of the playstyles.

EDIT: The biggest difference between technical and attacker is that when technicals use their style time slows down for all the enemies, and it's also easier to make combos. Attackers get a large boost in attack, and a few other bonuses.

Just making my way through the Crew Logs now. Boy this game is never ending. Ha!

I've unlocked the majority now. Teach and Akainu are rather fun, particular the latter.

Lol at Kizaru's alternate costume.
He gets a tie!

Damn that 2nd challenge is HARD!! :(

Hancock and Ace are pretty similar to the first game as expected, but they do seem to have a bunch of new moves. Ace is really powerful. Slightly surprised that he has conquers haki. Not sure if they ever showed that in the manga; although it could be noncanon as well.

Still waiting for Zoro, Law and Usopp. Really want to try them!

Oh, one thing that annoys me is how you can't open chests after you've won a battle. It's such a minor thing, but on several occasions now have I noticed a blue, secret chest right after I defeat the last boss -- you know, the moment when characters are talking in the background and you can move but not attack. That's just dumb design.

Hancock and Ace are pretty similar to the first game as expected, but they do seem to have a bunch of new moves. Ace is really powerful. Slightly surprised that he has conquers haki. Not sure if they ever showed that in the manga; although it could be noncanon as well.

Still waiting for Zoro, Law and Usopp. Really want to try them!

Oh, one thing that annoys me is how you can't open chests after you've won a battle. It's such a minor thing, but on several occasions now have I noticed a blue, secret chest right after I defeat the last boss -- you know, the moment when characters are talking in the background and you can move but not attack. That's just dumb design.
Not shocking when you find out
he's Gol D. Roger's son
and yes he feels more powerful as oppose to the first game.

That is so annoying, that I've developed the habit of checking for treasure found message in the battle log before facing the last boss.

Just tried Franky, what a damn beast lol. Used him in Thriller Bark episode.

Just unlocked Brook and Chopper, probably gonna try Chopper next.

Wait till you get Kuzan. You won't be talking bad about technical then :p

I never played as Chopper or Perona once except for in Crew Strike. I knew I didn't rate then too well then.

I'm gonna go with Akainu as my fave character in the game. Delicious special that guy has.

Ice Age and Ice Star are fantastic moves. Oh and Ice Block is fun too. Oh and the one that rains down a hail of ice. Well Kuzan is overall just great to play as.

Shame you couldn't play as Moria. He'd have been great some if his moves. Especially making himself big. Even one mission as him would have been a great inclusion :(

"This alliance will is NOT forever!"

This game is typo heaven! XD

Haven't found my character yet, but Marco is nuts and Kuzan is huge. Back to it!

I found the characters in the crew strike that weren't playable disappointing. I mean they are in the game and have their move sets already. How hard could it have been to implement them even just in this mode.

mintylurb

Oh lawdy..I thought the slowdowns in dw8 360 was bad..This game tops that by a mile.
It looks as though Omega Force decided have their interns work on this game.

Hope the next version will be on x1/ps4.

It's dumb how you have to re-equip the coins for every character. I mean, you're going to use the same coins for every character anyway, right? Skills I understand setting for each individual character, but not coins.

So anyway, played as Kuzan again and he's good but honestly not that good. His only really good move is square, square, triangle, triangle. Triangle, square is incredible in style action though. It's quite ridiculous. That's the only time when I feel like Kuzan is insane -- style action and that move. Kuma is okay. He has a few incredible moves and a few pathetic moves. His special attacks are kind of weak. Mihawk is insane. Tons of powerful moves. He also has an incredible square-combo. It seems to go for 15 button presses, unless I'm mistaken, which is three times more than most characters. He's so fast. And I finally got Usopp! Love playing as him. He's a bit fragile, but there's so much variety in his moves. Some of them are hard to pull off and remembering, but nonetheless I love all the different plants and stuff.

Game is dropping quite a bunch of characters now. I have three characters unlocked that I haven't had time to play as yet.

"This alliance will is NOT forever!"

This game is typo heaven! XD

Yeah. The first game was even worse.

I love the GET COIN and GET SECRET though.

I found the characters in the crew strike that weren't playable disappointing. I mean they are in the game and have their move sets already. How hard could it have been to implement them even just in this mode.

When do you unlock those anyway? I've been playing for quite a bunch of hours now and haven't unlocked any of those yet. Are they strong? Otherwise, what's the point of using them?

Bit of an OT ask here if no one minds:

I just started playing this and it's a lot of fun, but I have to ask as someone who is still relatively new to One Piece (Up to episode 110 or so on the anime right now, already know most of the story though)... What in the name of god happened to Nami's breasts? They're as big as her head now! In the show she's much more reasonably proportioned, so it's very jarring.

I mean, I get that this is something that happens in animu sometimes, but the difference here is so extreme that I have a hard time believing it was never explained in the story, even as a joke/aside. Was it?

Plus, her default outfit? Come on!

Althane

This game came out about a week ago, right?

Where the heck can I find it?

Cheapest on Amazon seems to be about $70.

When do you unlock those anyway? I've been playing for quite a bunch of hours now and haven't unlocked any of those yet. Are they strong? Otherwise, what's the point of using them?

In the Crew Episodes section. You play against all the characters and unlock them for use in crew strike mode and some you unlock as fully playable.

I agree about the coins. I found it annoying everytime I switched character I had to do that over again.

Bit of an OT ask here if no one minds:

I just started playing this and it's a lot of fun, but I have to ask as someone who is still relatively new to One Piece (Up to episode 110 or so on the anime right now, already know most of the story though)... What in the name of god happened to Nami's breasts? They're as big as her head now! In the show she's much more reasonably proportioned, so it's very jarring.

I mean, I get that this is something that happens in animu sometimes, but the difference here is so extreme that I have a hard time believing it was never explained in the story, even as a joke/aside. Was it?

Plus, her default outfit? Come on!

Everyone in One Piece got huge breasts after the time-skip. There's been a lot of talk about it.

This game came out about a week ago, right?

Where the heck can I find it?

Cheapest on Amazon seems to be about $70.

Since you use $, I assume you're American? The game didn't get a retail release in the US.

In the Crew Episodes section. You play against all the characters and unlock them for use in crew strike mode and some you unlock as fully playable.

I agree about the coins. I found it annoying everytime I switched character I had to do that over again.

I've been doing all the crew episodes as they get unlocked. I guess those characters are unlocked some time later then.

Correct. Wikipedia lists it as releasing on Sept 3rd though for NA. Canada only or something?

Oh, it's out in the US but only on PS Store. You can import it from Europe if you want the retail version. All PS3 games are region-free if I recall correctly and plenty of European stores have free shipping. Not sure about taxes and such though.

Althane

Oh, it's out in the US but only on PS Store. You can import it from Europe if you want the retail version. All PS3 games are region-free if I recall correctly and plenty of European stores have free shipping. Not sure about taxes and such though.

Ah, gotcha.

Good to know. If it's $50 on the PS Store, that's not bad then. Thanks!

Reknoc

Picked up a copy on my lunch break yesterday. Loaded it up, first thing I did (after the lengthy install) is check the collections to see how many coins there are... a part of me died, then I did the tutorial stage and saw the crew bond level up thing, then the rest of me died.

I'm ghost typing this.

cool game though, Nami is beasting in this.So much better than she was in PW1.

IGN Video Review -
6.5/10
. Can't say I agree with it, but each to their own.

I'll have a read of it later. Seems a little on the low side for me but I'd like to compare with it now I've finished it.

Reviews have been few and far between for the game which is a shame. Though I guess it's not really going to appeal to anyone outside of One Piece fans or maybe Musou fans.

Top Bottom