• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 |OT| New World Disorder

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hancock and Ace are pretty similar to the first game as expected, but they do seem to have a bunch of new moves. Ace is really powerful. Slightly surprised that he has conquers haki. Not sure if they ever showed that in the manga; although it could be noncanon as well.
He did. But he only ever used it as a child during Luffy's flashback.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'll have a read of it later. Seems a little on the low side for me but I'd like to compare with it now I've finished it.

Reviews have been few and far between for the game which is a shame. Though I guess it's not really going to appeal to anyone outside of One Piece fans or maybe Musou fans.

I'm not a HUGE One Piece fan myself, I mean I like it, but I haven't watched/read much of the series (though I know a fair amount of the plot thanks to games/Wikipedia skimming). However I'm a huge musou fan and I have to say that this is one of the best musou games I've ever played, and definitely the best of the anime spin-offs. And I say that as someone who's put 200 or so hours into DW Gundam 2 and 3 combined (Platinum'd 3, played 2 on the PS2 so I couldn't Plat it, heh). And I Platinum'd the first Hokuto, too.

I'll have a read of it later. Seems a little on the low side for me but I'd like to compare with it now I've finished it.

Reviews have been few and far between for the game which is a shame. Though I guess it's not really going to appeal to anyone outside of One Piece fans or maybe Musou fans.

I'm not a HUGE One Piece fan myself, I mean I like it, but I haven't watched/read much of the series (though I know a fair amount of the plot thanks to games/Wikipedia skimming). However I'm a huge musou fan and I have to say that this is one of the best musou games I've ever played, and definitely the best of the anime spin-offs. And I say that as someone who's put 200 or so hours into DW Gundam 2 and 3 combined (Platinum'd 3, played 2 on the PS2 so I couldn't Plat it, heh). And I Platinum'd the first Hokuto, too.

We need Jim Sterling to review this =P, he's a huge Dynasty Warriors fan, no idea about One Piece though XD

Banzai

Having a lot of fun with this game. Sooo much better than PW1. It's a great game to play with my little brother.
I seriously hope there's gonna be a next-gen Pirate Warriors 3. Wait for the Manga/Anime to get a few more New World Arcs, throw in more playable characters (reuse old ones) and then turn up the enemies-on-screen to Fishman Island numbers thanks to new hardware. Would be glorious!

TBH I've only ever dabbled in Dynasty Warrior games over the years, mainly demos. I've never been able to really enjoy them or get into them. Maybe it's just the subject matter that doesn't enthrall me. Being a One Piece fan though and combining mindless violence with the cast was a big win. It's all terribly good fun, especially if you have some experience with the series and at least know bits. I personally wouldn't have played the game until I'd gotten a bit further into the series, as I'd rather the character was introduced to me beforehand than go in wondering who they are and then getting that character in my head before seeing them in the actual anime. But I don't think you need to have anywhere near an exhaustive knowledge of the series to enjoy the game still. It's all just great to have a blast with good characters.

I didn't care for the story, I'd preferred if they'd kept to the actual anime, but we've already done that with the original. But still the story was background noise to me and didn't take away any fun of the game itself. Yes it gets a little repetitive. You are pretty much doing the same shit every level, but as I say, it's fun doing it overall, so it takes out that repetitiveness a little. They tried making the gameplay more varied in the original but what you got were some downright awful platforming parts, so taking those out and just letting you run riot every level suited me fine. Maybe they could try to add some other variations in future... I'm not sure what, but the game itself worked fine and I was never bored.

I seriously hope there's gonna be a next-gen Pirate Warriors 3. Wait for the Manga/Anime to get a few more New World Arcs, throw in more playable characters (reuse old ones) and then turn up the enemies-on-screen to Fishman Island numbers thanks to new hardware. Would be glorious!

I hope so too, and yeah it'll need a bit of time before another one I think, to build up some more places and characters. Hopefully as well, being able to play as some of the ones in this game that aren't playable too.

meppi

We need Jim Sterling to review this =P, he's a huge Dynasty Warriors fan, no idea about One Piece though XD

Was thinking the same thing. I only recently got into musou games due to most them always getting terrible reviews and being written of as repetitive drab that isn't worthy of anyones time.
Till I got interested in the Gundam series. Picked up DW Gundam 3 for cheap on a whim and haven't looked back since.
Now I have 16 musou games on PS3 and counting, including several Japan only ones. Looking to complete my collection in the coming months.

It's kinda typical how most video game news outlets don't give these games the time they deserve, or even cover them at all. Oh well, sign of the times I guess.

I'm not a One Piece fan at all. In fact I haven't seen a single episode and I'm not planning to do so either. But from everything I've seen from this game it looks extremely good and I'll be sure to pick it up soon. If only I wasn't trying to juggle 5 of these games right now. ;)

All these people playing One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 who have never read/seen One Piece will think that One Piece has the dumbest story-line ever, hahaha.

Loved the first game, only thing delaying me is I really need to play catch up! I didn't start watching the show until just last year and I've only seen 250 episodes so far.

demidar

All these people playing One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 who have never read/seen One Piece will think that One Piece has the dumbest story-line ever, hahaha.

They're missing out, One Piece probably is the best told, most coherent shounen series ever (though if anyone can name a better one I'd be grateful).

Loved the first game, only thing delaying me is I really need to play catch up! I didn't start watching the show until just last year and I've only seen 250 episodes so far.

Read it, don't watch it. Reading is faster, better paced, no filler and better art :)

They're missing out, One Piece probably is the best told, most coherent shounen series ever (though if anyone can name a better one I'd be grateful).

Oh, I agree.

Theorymon

I'm a pretty big One Piece fan, but I've never played any of the One Piece games. Should I get the first Pirate Warriors, or should I skip that and go to this one?

Reknoc

I'm a pretty big One Piece fan, but I've never played any of the One Piece games. Should I get the first Pirate Warriors, or should I skip that and go to this one?

You won't really miss much by skipping the first game other than some poorly thought-out action stages and a severely abridged version of the manga's story.

Masamuna

This post plus your input in the battride thread has convinced me. I need this game now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

He definitely does need to review it. Maybe I'll bug him on Facebook about it. :lol

This post plus your input in the battride thread has convinced me. I need this game now.

Haha, well, not sure what I may have said in the Battride thread that convinced you that you need this, but I'm glad either way. :lol

(This is way better than Battride, too. As much as I like Battride, there's no way it deserved 9/8/8/8 from Famitsu. Then again, lolfamitsu.)

Masamuna

Haha, what i meant is that as far as musou games are concerned we have the same mindset. So reading about how much you're enjoying OP2 from a musou fans perspective has me pretty excited.

Battride is fun but has a hell of a lot of room for improvement. I still have rider road to finish but by then I'll be ready to cave in on this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man...Sanji is so bad. =/

Haha, what i meant is that as far as musou games are concerned we have the same mindset. So reading about how much you're enjoying OP2 from a musou fans perspective has me pretty excited.

Battride is fun but has a hell of a lot of room for improvement. I still have rider road to finish but by then I'll be ready to cave in on this.

Well, it's nice to hear that my opinion means something around here, then. :lol

And yeah, Battride is fun, but I feel like you really have to be a Kamen Rider fan to have fun with it, whereas this game, you don't really have to be into One Piece to enjoy it. I mean, it helps, yeah, but you don't really HAVE to be. But with Battride, I kinda feel like the game itself isn't really strong enough to appeal to musou fans who aren't Kamen Rider fans. The difference between a musou game made by Omega Force and a musou game made by Eighting, I suppose.

Man, my hype was growing until I heard Dynasty Warriors.
Why can't we just have platinum make a One piece game? That's the type of game One piece should be!
Just like some crazy expansive blood dragon esque dlc for bayonetta!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, 4-1 is actually really tough. Between trying to deal with the Pacifistas and trying to keep everyone alive (dammit Garp and Whitebeard, you should be able to take care of your damn selves), it actually gets pretty hard.

Amazingly, Namco has put up some free DLC costumes this week.

Looks like it's all prequel (so last game) costumes.
What sorcery is this?
Man, 4-1 is actually really tough. Between trying to deal with the Pacifistas and trying to keep everyone alive (dammit Garp and Whitebeard, you should be able to take care of your damn selves), it actually gets pretty hard.
Yep 1st game over I got was for this level, the A.I for those two annoyed the hell out of me, Kizaru included as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huh. So the costumes for Nami and Robin that just went up on PSN are for the pre-timeskip versions. And the interesting thing is that if you don't already have the characters unlocked, downloading the costumes will unlock them.

geebee

Banned
I have three DLC codes to give away, so for the first three people that quote this, please choose the code you would like.

Luffy costume DLC
Extra Scenario 1 DLC
Extra Scenario 2 DLC

Edit: All gone!

Have any of you folks played a rescue request thing yet? I keep seeing them pop up but when I go to join it says it's been closed or something like that. Are they even worth doing?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man...Sanji is so bad. =/

Well, it's nice to hear that my opinion means something around here, then. :lol

And yeah, Battride is fun, but I feel like you really have to be a Kamen Rider fan to have fun with it, whereas this game, you don't really have to be into One Piece to enjoy it. I mean, it helps, yeah, but you don't really HAVE to be. But with Battride, I kinda feel like the game itself isn't really strong enough to appeal to musou fans who aren't Kamen Rider fans. The difference between a musou game made by Omega Force and a musou game made by Eighting, I suppose.

Yeah, the joy of Battride is seeing all the characters pretty faithfully re-created and battling alongside the familiar catchphrases and battle cries and music.

I'm not a huge One Piece fan, although I caught up to the Fishman Island Arc, but I'm gonna check this out because I enjoyed GDW3 and Battride...I spent 100$ on Battride, so 50$ on a game I can actually understand is nothing.

Looks like it's all prequel (so last game) costumes.

Namco has put up some free DLC costumes

Namco some free DLC costumes

1BcdT.gif

Jaroof

Chopper's Triangle>Square combo is ridiculously strong.

I beat the Pirate's Log.. now I'm trying to
unlock the last two secret missions

Free DLC? Wow, really? But it's only the pre-timeskip costumes for the Strawhats, eh?

Have any of you folks played a rescue request thing yet? I keep seeing them pop up but when I go to join it says it's been closed or something like that. Are they even worth doing?

Yeah, it seems like people often have connection issues, or that they just cancel it. I also imagine a lot of people pressing "start" by mistake. I've only done one of those thus far. It's basically just like playing a level in co-op. There are no additional rewards or such.

Chopper's Triangle>Square combo is ridiculously strong.

Really? I thought everyone here agreed that he's the worst character in the game. I don't remember him having any strong moves, though triangle square is usually a strong move on all the characters.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played around with Kuzan for 3 minutes .... *_* woahh holy shit is he broken XD

Kuzan is amazing. His C5 (Square, Square, Square, Square, Triangle) is ridiculous (it's the same move he does as his Crew Strike). And once you figure out how his R2 works (kick a frozen enemy and all other frozen enemies around them shatter, causing massive damage), he gets even MORE broken. He's great, for sure.

Sanji? I've unlocked him but haven't had time to test him yet. He was pretty good in the first game. When I get more time to play I'll try him out, but I really doubt he's worse than Chopper.

Just wait until you try Marco. He wrecks everything.

From the little I used Sanji in the first game, he's definitely worse here. Too many aerial moves with very little AOE. He's okay one-on-one if you just spam his C3, but in crowds he's absolutely awful. And even his basic Square combo that does have decent AOE isn't very good because the damage on it is pretty low. He's basically like Marco, except without Marco's ridiculous AOE and damage. Plus Marco's moves generally don't launch him as high into the air as Sanji's do. Marco's absolutely a death machine though, yeah.

f@luS

More than a member.
Im level 26. Didnt try all of playable

Luffy is good. Dont like jimbey or crocodile. Marco i dont feel it too aerial. Mihawk is gréât. As is ace. Luzan is Broken. Level 2 circle take down 150ennemy :eek:

I'll echo what Seraphis said, best anime/manga musou title. Skill system, Bingo, partner moves and all that jazz. It's all very well done and feels fresh when compared to other musou style offerings. Some really great tunes, as well!

Kuzan is amazing. His C5 (Square, Square, Square, Square, Triangle) is ridiculous (it's the same move he does as his Crew Strike). And once you figure out how his R2 works (kick a frozen enemy and all other frozen enemies around them shatter, causing massive damage), he gets even MORE broken. He's great, for sure.

"Ice A G!" I love all of his pronunciations. "Ice Block Pheasant Beck" being a favorite. :)

Finally had some more time to play tonight. Been a little busy with my university studies. I beat the main game, and I was quite surprised that it just ended like that. The finale could've been a tad more epic, but it was good nonetheless. The weird thing though, is that
Law didn't make any appearance at all. He showed up in the credits which made me remember him. I guess you need to complete crew episodes to unlock him. Seems to be two more main episodes as well. Will be interesting to play them for sure.

Buggy is all over the place. His moves feel like they're all the same. It feels like I'm just pressing buttons and body parts are flying all over the place. He's quite mediocre in strength, although his R2 attack is really strong and seems to have a high chance of confusing enemies. Still a decently fun character to play as.

Crocodile is much weaker than I expected. Definitely a bottom-tier character. Zoro is amazing. Love playing as him. Strong, reliable, responsive -- simply a great character. Robin is pretty mediocre. I didn't like her playstyle in the first game, and I don't like it in this game. Her special attack level 2 is insane though. It only attacks one enemy, and it can be hard to make it attack the enemy you want too (and not just some random weakling), but it does insane damage if you get it in. Did about 50% of a big boss's health, and 100% damage on a Pacifista (instantly killing it). Garp is cool. He revolves around grabbing enemies. He doesn't have all that many moves for crowds, but he gets the job done there to. He can grab all enemies, including major bosses, which is really awesome. Strong special also.

From the little I used Sanji in the first game, he's definitely worse here. Too many aerial moves with very little AOE. He's okay one-on-one if you just spam his C3, but in crowds he's absolutely awful. And even his basic Square combo that does have decent AOE isn't very good because the damage on it is pretty low. He's basically like Marco, except without Marco's ridiculous AOE and damage. Plus Marco's moves generally don't launch him as high into the air as Sanji's do. Marco's absolutely a death machine though, yeah.

I tried Sanji today and I really don't understand you to be honest. He's really strong. I agree that he's a lot like Marco. I find him to be a little less floaty but he doesn't wreck quite as much as Marco does. Some of Sanji's triangle moves don't work too well, but his square moves are all great. His special attack level 2 is also really, really strong.

No freebies... or anything, for Europe on the Store this week :(

Oh right, I forgot to check this when I was on, but I'll take your word for it. Hopefully it'll show up later.

So I finally got my copy of the Asian version of the game...went to the Hong Kong PSN store and there's some free DLC for it, but it's all for the Chinese or Japanese version of the game. Does anyone know if the DLC for the Chinese version would be compatible with the English release, or would I have to wait for the English version of all the DLC to pop up?

Jaroof

Really? I thought everyone here agreed that he's the worst character in the game. I don't remember him having any strong moves, though triangle square is usually a strong move on all the characters.

Nope, Sanji's definitely one of the worst... The only way to use Sanji effectively seems to be if you use his air walk after every single combo.. and even that isn't guaranteed to get a lot of KO's.

I don't get the hate for Chopper. I've had a blast playing with him in this game. And yeah, that combo I mentioned is crazy strong. Probably one of the strongest in the game. You can take out bosses easily with it.

Oh, and Garp disappointed me a bit. :/
Playing with him wasn't as fun as I expected it to be.

Edit: Eneru is lots of fun to play with..
Has anyone gotten every single crew member? I can't figure out who the last is..

Edit: Eneru is lots of fun to play with..
Has anyone gotten every single crew member? I can't figure out who the last
is..

Depends on how you mean by last. If you mean the very bottom right character, it's
Teach (Double Ability)

So I finally got my copy of the Asian version of the game...went to the Hong Kong PSN store and there's some free DLC for it, but it's all for the Chinese or Japanese version of the game. Does anyone know if the DLC for the Chinese version would be compatible with the English release, or would I have to wait for the English version of all the DLC to pop up?

Unlikely. Your version of the game has to match where you're getting the DLC from.

Luffy said that he would "kill" Blackbeard in one of the last missions. Way to go being disrespectful to Oda. Luffy has never used the word "kill" in the manga, and not only does he never use that word, but he never actually kills anyone.

Unlikely. Your version of the game has to match where you're getting the DLC from.

Yep, you're right. I tried it and it didn't work. Funny thing is, the Hong Kong store actually has a lot of DLC for the game, but only for the Japanese and Chinese versions of it (I guess they both got an official release over there), but none for the English language version, other than a code that comes on a slip of paper inside the game's case.

Maybe I should have bought the European version instead? :(

Top Bottom