• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors |OT| Gomu Gomu no Musou

8125669630_6db343fb6b_z.jpg

Isn't that going to upset people who bought it at full price? I'd be mad anyway if a game I bought went on sale so shortly afterwards. I got the game for free though. On disc, I add.

Actually the DLC is ten costumes and ten stages.

The DLC is pretty much already discounted compared to what it would have costed if they had released them individually as they did in Japan and Europe.

How is the DLC? Is it just another log or main log stuff too? What are the ten stages? Is it worthwhile?

EDIT: Looked it up and it seems to me that you're incorrect. There are no new stages, it's just repeated stages in new scenarios from what I can tell.

My main disappointment (aside from the missing arcs of course) is that none of the villains are playable. They already have models and movesets, so why not? Would have loved to play as Crocodile in particular. And no Smoker at all? Come on. Camera was also a pain when trying to open up chests during boss fights.

Had a lot of fun with it though. Still having fun in Another Log's co-op mode. Whitebeard is a blast to use, especially his 2nd special attack.

I thought the game had loads of minor issues, and the ones you mention are some of the more major ones. Yeah, the missing arcs is a shame. I'm especially sad by the lack of Thriller Bark. That's definitely my favourite part of the manga. Instead we got the CP9 level (on the rooftops) which is easily the worst level of the game. It's just quick-time events.

As for playing as villains though, it's not quite as easy as you make it out to be. There's definitely some work involved in getting the controls to work and such. Oh and yeah, lack of Smoker is a shame. None of the straw hat pirates can hit him, right? They could have made it so that Smoker follows you on a level, and you always have to avoid his attacks.

As for another log, I've only played it a little so far and is it just me or is it extremely easy? I've been playing as Zoro and seriously, I one-hit kill all leaders with one special attack and I just beat Don Krieg with two specials. His intro cut-scene didn't even get time to get played. Also, why is there only one level to play when you play as for instance Whitebeard and Ace? I guess they wanted it to be somewhat more realistic but Ace attending his own execution makes no sense anyway.

I think it should be "by" as well. A lot of the subtitles are kinda iffy, particularly the names. At one point I believe Blueno is called Bruno. They jump between "Hawkeye" and "Hawkeyes" as well.

Yeah, there seems to be several grammar errors. Over-all the localization job is really poor. During quick-time events and certain other actions, the subtitles don't even show up so you have no idea what they're saying. At least you can press start and go to battle log to read up on what's been said.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Bought the game yesterday from the US PSN (and it took all night to download). Is the DLC on the US store really a bundle of everything that's on the EU store? The price difference seems a bit drastic.

How is the DLC? Is it just another log or main log stuff too? What are the ten stages? Is it worthwhile?

EDIT: Looked it up and it seems to me that you're incorrect. There are no new stages, it's just repeated stages in new scenarios from what I can tell.

Ah, that's what I meant. New scenarios, more musou stages.

Bought the game yesterday from the US PSN (and it took all night to download). Is the DLC on the US store really a bundle of everything that's on the EU store? The price difference seems a bit drastic.

Yeah, it really is a bundle of all the DLC that has been released in EU and JP. All ten costumes and ten scenarios.

Reknoc

Replaying this reminds me of what a huge misstep it took. As far as mechanics go it's probably my favourite musou with combos and a good dodge mechanic (I also recently got 7 and it's hard to switch between the two). So it's a real shame the main game is so poor.

Also having a Vivi model for cutscenes but no playable Vivi is pretty much the worst thing, way worse than not being able to play as the villains who already have move sets.

Psht all night? Took me a day to download (because PSN signed me out at some point and I hadn't realised).

Aru

I'm playing Main Log Episode 3 and I can't figure out what to do. Zoro said something about having found Hatchan but I can't go where he is because the door is shut. There aren't anymore enemies on the map. What should I do ? Maybe it's a bug :/

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I hope this game does good enough to warrant a sequel, cell shaded hopefully.

It fucking sold a shit ton in Japan alone, so a sequel is pretty much a done deal at this point since lesser ones like Fist of the North Star enjoyed such treatment.

Definitely need to see Logue Town, Thriller Bark, and Jaya/Skypiea from pre-time skip in the next game for a lot of stuff to make sense (Smoker, Don Flamingo/Poneglyphs/Mantra, Four Emperor fear from Moria), maybe chuck in Strong World, and then theyve got at least Fish Man Island, Punk Hazard, and maybe even Movie Z to pull stuff from for post time-skip.

Aru

I watched a level 3 walkthrough and it seems something was supposed to happen where I am, but it's not happening. I tried loading a previous save, but it still doesn't work :/ My save must be glitched. Damn it Namco Bandai !

Dragun619

I definitely think there's a sequel already in the works. It's One Piece. Very popular series in Japan, and I'm pretty sure it sold it past the million mark easily in japan.

Played it earlier and I'm a bit impressed. I'm liking everything in this game. The graphics, coin system, combos, etc. I haven't tried DW7 yet, but man I think this the best Musou game I've played in a while. The only problem I have is the story/characters they left out.

Also, I was reading through the trophy guide for this and apparently there's a problem in unlocking one of the skills that's needed for "We're running away! We stole some gold!" trophy. Anyone experienced this?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah if Hokuto Musou got one, One Piece will get one

and at the current price point on top of all the DLC I'm likely to just wait. If it's like other musou games it'll probably end up being the same content + more anyways in the sequel

Yeah if Hokuto Musou got one, One Piece will get one

and at the current price point on top of all the DLC I'm likely to just wait. If it's like other musou games it'll probably end up being the same content + more anyways in the sequel

Haha, nope, if you compare 6 and 7. Oh boy.

What I didn't like about this game, and I'm sure they'll add it in later, is that we missed a lot of the Strawhats fights. No Mr.2 vs Zoro? Shame shame shame.

It fucking sold a shit ton in Japan alone, so a sequel is pretty much a done deal at this point since lesser ones like Fist of the North Star enjoyed such treatment.

Definitely need to see Logue Town, Thriller Bark, and Jaya/Skypiea from pre-time skip in the next game for a lot of stuff to make sense (Smoker, Don Flamingo/Poneglyphs/Mantra, Four Emperor fear from Moria), maybe chuck in Strong World, and then theyve got at least Fish Man Island, Punk Hazard, and maybe even Movie Z to pull stuff from for post time-skip.

I want a OP game with cell shaded graphics like the UNS games.

Sequel that goes up to Fishman Isle and includes all the skipped arcs is practically guaranteed after the monster sales in Japan.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, nope, if you compare 6 and 7. Oh boy.

What I didn't like about this game, and I'm sure they'll add it in later, is that we missed a lot of the Strawhats fights. No Mr.2 vs Zoro? Shame shame shame.

I meant in these licensed games(Hokuto and Gundam) covering content from their respective franchises

I imagine a One Piece sequel will cover the content in this game + missing and/or new stuff.

SykoTech

Oh and yeah, lack of Smoker is a shame. None of the straw hat pirates can hit him, right? They could have made it so that Smoker follows you on a level, and you always have to avoid his attacks.

That would hve been cool, but there are a lot of characters that the Straw Hts shouldn't be able to touch but can anyway. Crocodile, Aokiji, Kizaru, Akainu, and Ace all get beat up pretty handily despite being Logia types like Smoker. So I doubt they left Smokey out beause of that.

That would hve been cool, but there are a lot of characters that the Straw Hts shouldn't be able to touch but can anyway. Crocodile, Aokiji, Kizaru, Akainu, and Ace all get beat up pretty handily despite being Logia types like Smoker. So I doubt they left Smokey out beause of that.

Oh, you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that they left him out because of that reason; I just thought it would be a nice concept.

Aru

I watched a level 3 walkthrough and it seems something was supposed to happen where I am, but it's not happening. I tried loading a previous save, but it still doesn't work :/ My save must be glitched. Damn it Namco Bandai !

Quoting myself just to say I resolved the issue by starting the whole level again. It definitely was a bug.

Quoting myself just to say I resolved the issue by starting the whole level again. It definitely was a bug.

Yeah, this game has a lack of polish. The second Impel Down level glitched for me. Some event was supposed to happen but it didn't, even though I did everything normally. Had to restart the level.

Jaroof

Oh my GOD, the Sabaody Archipelago level frustrated the crap out of me!
Kizaru is an asshole!
It took me like 5-6 tries to finally beat him. Not because I couldn't.. but because he or a Pacifista kept taking out Chopper!! >_<

That being said, I love the hell out of this game.
It's fun, has a lot of content, and is even multiplayer!
I love how they put it every one of the Straw Hats' moves, too.
I'm probably gonna end up buying that DLC after I'm done with the main game.

Tizoc

Kizaru is an asshole!
It took me like 5-6 tries to finally beat him. Not because I couldn't.. but because he or a Pacifista kept taking out Chopper!! >_<

If you have an EU copy...better to wait for it to go on sale >_>;

Kizaru is an asshole!

Kizaru wasn't too bad, but yeah, fighting him was my first game over. But why did you fight him when there were still Pacifistas around? You can defeat them before triggering him. I thought the final boss was a bit harder though.

Dartastic

Just bought the game from PS+. First Musou game, so I'm kinda figuring stuff out. I'm also struggling with the controls a bit, mostly with locking onto stuff and whatnot, but I'm learning as I go along.

Game. Is. Awesome. It really is super fun, and is hitting all the right spots for the One Piece nerd in me. Love it. Just finished Arlong Park. Love it. =)

Tiu Neo

Actually the DLC is ten costumes and ten stages.

The DLC is pretty much already discounted compared to what it would have costed if they had released them individually as they did in Japan and Europe.

WOHOO!! Been comtemplating One Piece for a while, so this sale is exactly what I need to jump right into getting it!

The One Piece DLC sounds like... a bundle of Warrior games $5 DLCs.

Ok, reading up on it more, the DLC is fantastically priced for a Koei game, lol. I wish they'd make a pack like this for Hokuto Musou!

According to a user on Siliconera, in comparision to the EU prices:

So, Tiu Neo, I don't think we should expect any sale on the DLC at all, lol. It's already a good amount cheaper.

Nice that this sell allows new buyers to get the DLC and Game for cheaper than the games purchase when off sale, itself. Maybe it'll go on sale in a few weeks, as a folowup to the full game being on sale? I could see them not wanting ot drop the price TOO fast, as it'd anger those who just bought it so recently.

A 40% off discount on a game very unlikely to go on sale (heck, Musou games rarely go on good sales at retail) is a nice Plus bonus to me. Happy with that.

Ohhh, I read somewhere else this first pack would be only three levels and three costumes. Saw the price, tought it was just koei being koei, and ignored the pack.

Good it was wrong, it really is a good price for the content. I'll buy it as soon as I get my buy 100 get 20 back money.

Ohhh, I read somewhere else this first pack would be only three levels and three costumes. Saw the price, tought it was just koei being koei, and ignored the pack.

Good it was wrong, it really is a good price for the content. I'll buy it as soon as I get my buy 100 get 20 back money.

That's what Europe got for their first week of DLC. Yeah, this DLC bundle is quite a steal compared to what Europe and Japan had to paid to get all the DLC.

Tiu Neo

That's what Europe got for their first week of DLC. Yeah, this DLC bundle is quite a steal compared to what Europe and Japan had to paid to get all the DLC.

Yeah, I must have confused them. Wouldn't mind if they did that to every musou game. US already receives all the DLC after EU and JP anyway.

Reknoc

Oh okay.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors – Grand Line Edition (game + DLC)
Price: £49.99/€59.99
PEGI: 12
Availability: All

Aru

Oh okay.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors – Grand Line Edition (game + DLC)
Price: £49.99/€59.99
PEGI: 12
Availability: All

I'm glad I bought the game for less than half that price, even if I don't have any of the DLC.

Dragun619

Saw that I have a Patch for One Piece downloaded. Did a quick search and it looks like it should fix the coin problem that prevented you from unlocking a certain skill. So now those that couldn't get the trophy for collecting all the skills can get it.

B-Dex

Saw that I have a Patch for One Piece downloaded. Did a quick search and it looks like it should fix the coin problem that prevented you from unlocking a certain skill. So now those that couldn't get the trophy for collecting all the skills can get it.

The game did well enough for Scamco to patch it? This pleases me.

Jaroof

This game is wonderful.
I beat the game a few days ago, and still find myself coming back to it.
I've been playing Another Log with my brother, and have been leveling up the characters.
They really did a great job transitioning the characters from the anime to the game and keeping the feel of them really similar.
Whitebeard is a beast.

Why is there a "Choose Ship" option, though?
You can choose between the Sunny or the Going Merry, but what's the point?

Tizoc

This game is wonderful.
I've been playing Another Log with my brother, and have been leveling up the characters.
They really did a great job transitioning the characters from the anime to the game and keeping the feel of them really similar.
Whitebeard is a beast.

Why is there a "Choose Ship" option, though?
You can choose between the Sunny or the Going Merry, but what's the point?

It's just a novelty really, at least you get to choose which of ur fav. ship Luffy's gonna stand on =p

Aru

Too bad the camera is so awful. The game isn't really challenging in normal mode. I switched to hard on Episode 9 and got my ass kicked so much that I went back to normal mode. With a better camera system, playing in hard would have been more enjoyable IMO.

This made me giggle. I don't know if you just weirdly phrased that or if you really meant it to sound like you don't usually come back to a somewhat short arcade game like this a few days after you beat it.

Jaroof

This made me giggle. I don't know if you just weirdly phrased that or if you really meant it to sound like you don't usually come back to a somewhat short arcade game like this a few days after you beat it.

Depends. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
I honestly didn't expect myself to.

BHK3

Banned
Just got the game on sale, is the DLC worth it? $7.49 seems really really expensive to me for some musou DLC...

The new info on Pirate Warriors 2 is pretty damn sweet btw

Sora_N

Just got the game on sale, is the DLC worth it? $7.49 seems really really expensive to me for some musou DLC...

The new info on Pirate Warriors 2 is pretty damn sweet btw

Hard to say, I probably should have just bought the game first and DLC after I played a bit. I just finished the tutorial, game looks sooo good. I bought it for the costumes mainly, seems worth it for $7.49. It will extend the game a bit after you finish the main stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
You need double the space to install the game (install data will then be deleted, so in the end the game will only use 10.8 GB). So you need to free another 2GB.

Top Bottom