• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors |OT| Gomu Gomu no Musou

Tizoc

If there's one thing I've learned about Musou games, it's NEVER PLAY ON HARD. Play on Easy or Normal, once your characters become full powered up, Hard mode becomes more tolerable.

Tizoc

Games this gen usually make hard mode an unlockable for beating easier modes, good thing this isn't like that.

In a way yes, but if there's one thing I've learned from DW7 XL, Gundam Musou 3 and Hokuto Musou, is to NEVER touch Hard mode until your character(s) are very strong.

episode 2 boss
Don Krieg
is such a bitch. the dash/evade, can't seem to get it right. maybe i'm doing something wrong. died twice D:

Tizoc

episode 2 boss
Don Krieg
is such a bitch. the dash/evade, can't seem to get it right. maybe i'm doing something wrong. died twice D:

That's one of the things one needs time to figure out: Do you tap X to keep doding or do u run? With time you'll figure it out but if you're playing on Hard mode...just play on Normal or Easy, no shame in that.

If there's one thing I've learned about Musou games, it's NEVER PLAY ON HARD. Play on Easy or Normal, once your characters become full powered up, Hard mode becomes more tolerable.

I'll take your advice. Hope there ain't no trophies for playing on Hard.

Reknoc

Isn't there an easy albeit boring-ish way to ensure you get a lot of coins?

I believe there is a coin combo that makes it easier and you can just grind the musou levels.

I think some of them may only be obtainable online as well?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I just had one big doofy grin on my face for all of Episode 0.

Got through episode 1 last night, no real trouble other than some jankery on some of the platforming. A ranking on both levels so far.

Looking forward to playing some more later.

That damn smug Kizaru and the roaming Pacifista were not making one of the later story stages easy at all, got quite a few failures in that one and I also seemed to have issues trying to stop certain straw hats from committing suicide as they foolishly decide to try and take down pacifista by themselves, I guess it makes sense to be tricky considering the story section it's based on but damn I was in a bunch of character health related predicaments towards the end there. The map layout was annoying as well.

As for the music question, It sounds like standard musou game fare with wailing guitars and all that during battles, maybe with a bit more of a One Piece styled emphasis at times.

How's the music? Any of the music from the show present?
It's the usual Musou/Warriors Electric Guitar musics, kinda dissapointed they didn't use the anime music.
And holy hell I hate Kizaru's light crap >.< you try to hit him he becomes light, dashes everywhere. Got first game over cause after chasing him away from Ussop the pacifista came hounded him whilst Kizaru went after Nami. Gonna need to level up my Luffy XD

So who's everyone's favourite character to play as? I finding I really like Sanji's move list, very suited to Musou games.
Bearing in mind haven't unlocked everyone XD need to play it more in freetime.
Oh and the platforming gameplay, I think I've been spoilt by Mario or something, feels very awkward IMO.

The camera doesn't help. it's so bad sometimes. and the sensitivity during the platforming and lock on. other than that. i still enjoy the game. not $50 enjoyment. maybe $25.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The camera doesn't help. it's so bad sometimes. and the sensitivity during the platforming and lock on. other than that. i still enjoy the game. not $50 enjoyment. maybe $25.
Yeah i'll wait for a price drop but i will definitely get this game. My friend is a huge OP fan he'll freak out when he sees the game.

It's the usual Musou/Warriors Electric Guitar musics, kinda dissapointed they didn't use the anime music.
And holy hell I hate Kizaru's light crap >.< you try to hit him he becomes light, dashes everywhere. Got first game over cause after chasing him away from Ussop the pacifista came hounded him whilst Kizaru went after Nami. Gonna need to level up my Luffy XD

So who's everyone's favourite character to play as? I finding I really like Sanji's move list, very suited to Musou games.
Bearing in mind haven't unlocked everyone XD need to play it more in freetime.
Oh and the platforming gameplay, I think I've been spoilt by Mario or something, feels very awkward IMO.
The best Kizaru cheese for me was when I was one hit away from death and had to head over to stop him from mauling Chopper, I promptly dashed into the area hoping to nab some meat before fighting and was immediately killed by a beam of light before the camera had even swivelled around to display the layout of the area itself, to top it off it turns out he blasted me through a gap in the scenery to boot (and with his boot), I tell you it's like the man has premonition skills.

I haven't played as anyone else yet in the other modes so aside from the few moments in the story mode i've been stuck with Luffy but Sanji has been good fun in the brief sections I got to use him.

As for the platforming, well it's best to remember that this is still a musou game at heart and isn't really built for platforming in its more traditional form, it's not really good by any stretch (pun not intended but i'll take it) but at least it's not slowly dragging yourself across rocky outcrops by the fingertips for a change like when most non platformers try their hand at platforming, later game action sections are a bit more varied, though that's mainly with more quick time events which isn't anything to write home about either.
But yeah it's pretty awkward, I still sort of appreciate the addition for varieties sake though.
The aiming cursor feels pretty twitchy when trying to target points to grapple onto, they could have done better with that.

Tackling Bosses when in corners is the big one as far as camera problems go, it starts flipping out all over the place.

I would agree that the camera isn't as smooth as WO3 or even DW7. Pretty much reminds me of the camera hate I had in Sengoku Basara.

Pietepiet

Thinking about picking this up. Looks great! I haven't watched One Piece in ages though, and I've only seen very little of it. Do I have to know what's going on to really enjoy this?

I can't believe that Wapol gave me the most trouble out of all the bosses. Aokiji and Magellan come in at #2 and #3, though.

Still, I finished Main Log. Good times! Playing through Main Log stories now and Zoro's first, since I think I like playing as him the most.

A dub would have been good, how does one manage to pay attention to the action and character moves while reading the random text.

Otherwise, at least at ep 0 this is epic, its so cool being Luffy!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's such a bummer that Crocodile isn't playable despite him being in the main story more than just about anyone in the game.

It's such a bummer that Crocodile isn't playable despite him being in the main story more than just about anyone in the game.
ergh don't even remind me

It doesn't help that he's one of my favorite characters in the series. Another huge bummer is the fact that Smoker was completely left out.

Just beat the main log and I fairly well enjoyed it. The various "platforming" areas are really weak and should have been scrapped or made better, The crypt stage was the worst for this reason. Aokiji was the hardest boss I fought the whole game, wapol's 3rd form and magellan 1 also get honorable mentions for being really annoying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've also finished it

Pros
&#8226;Game looks nice, but I think it could look better. A lot of the effects in particular look good, like the smoke and snow on feet.
&#8226;Combats more complex than any other Musou, but it's still not DMC or anything like that.
&#8226;Good character selection for the first entry. I am sure they will make a sequel and get the rest. The first one's usual testing to see how well the anime translates to gameplay like Gundam. The second will be a lot better if it's like Gundam
&#8226;Definitely more production values than previous musous
&#8226;It feels 'different', or the main log does. Mostly because there's more 'quiet moments'
&#8226;The characters feel more fleshed out in terms of movesets compared to a Dynasty Warriors or Gundam
&#8226;Decent costume selection. I like that they mostly get the costumes accurate to the show in the main log arc's
&#8226;Nice looking cutscenes
&#8226;For a musou game, the environments can look pretty great
&#8226;Boa and Nico

Cons
&#8226;The puzzle solving is awful. Throwing feels TERRIBLE in the game. Their 'jump' button is also awful.
&#8226;Too many QTE's. WAY too many
&#8226;The game's real bad about making you want to solve a puzzle then having the game take control away from you to zoom in on what you need to do. It's some of the most handholding I've ever had in a game. Especially when you consider musou games almost never take control from you
&#8226;The characters feel weighty like Fist of the North Star, and the camera does as well. It's nowhere near as slow as FOTNS, but if you played Warriors Orochi 3 or DW7 or DWG3, it's way slower.
&#8226;The 'unique' moves feel real gimmicky, and some are just useless.
&#8226;They miss some pretty key moments from the anime, but it's not surprising, but I'd say Crocodile's role in Marineford was important, and I won't spoil what they leave out from that.
&#8226;Soundtrack's okay for a Musou game, but they really should just use the fantastic music from the show for the entire game.

I think it's good for a One Piece fan, but I probably would recommend Warriors Orochi 3 for a musou fan. Or DW:7 Empires when that comes out. Or Ken's Rage 2. Anime musou games tend to be real shallow the first time, Gundam suffered from this as did FOTNS. I think the second will be fantastic, and I'm sure they're making it because you know they'd milk more dlc out of this one if it wasn't.

LaneDS

I've also finished it

Pros
•Game looks nice, but I think it could look better. A lot of the effects in particular look good, like the smoke and snow on feet.
•Combats more complex than any other Musou, but it's still not DMC or anything like that.
•Good character selection for the first entry. I am sure they will make a sequel and get the rest. The first one's usual testing to see how well the anime translates to gameplay like Gundam. The second will be a lot better if it's like Gundam
•Definitely more production values than previous musous
•It feels 'different', or the main log does. Mostly because there's more 'quiet moments'
•The characters feel more fleshed out in terms of movesets compared to a Dynasty Warriors or Gundam
•Decent costume selection. I like that they mostly get the costumes accurate to the show in the main log arc's
•Nice looking cutscenes
•For a musou game, the environments can look pretty great
•Boa and Nico

Cons
•The puzzle solving is awful. Throwing feels TERRIBLE in the game. Their 'jump' button is also awful.
•Too many QTE's. WAY too many
•The game's real bad about making you want to solve a puzzle then having the game take control away from you to zoom in on what you need to do. It's some of the most handholding I've ever had in a game. Especially when you consider musou games almost never take control from you
•The characters feel weighty like Fist of the North Star, and the camera does as well. It's nowhere near as slow as FOTNS, but if you played Warriors Orochi 3 or DW7 or DWG3, it's way slower.
•The 'unique' moves feel real gimmicky, and some are just useless.
•They miss some pretty key moments from the anime, but it's not surprising, but I'd say Crocodile's role in Marineford was important, and I won't spoil what they leave out from that.
•Soundtrack's okay for a Musou game, but they really should just use the fantastic music from the show for the entire game.

I think it's good for a One Piece fan, but I probably would recommend Warriors Orochi 3 for a musou fan. Or DW:7 Empires when that comes out. Or Ken's Rage 2. Anime musou games tend to be real shallow the first time, Gundam suffered from this as did FOTNS. I think the second will be fantastic, and I'm sure they're making it because you know they'd milk more dlc out of this one if it wasn't.

Good write-up. I bought it and played through the first two chapters the other night and agree with a lot of your points (not a big Musou fan so I have no opinions in that regard). As a One Piece fan, it's definitely fun, but some stuff (like the traversal QTE overabundance) makes it a so-so game. Would recommend to those that like or love the series, but I don't think it'd be very fun for someone who isn't familiar with things.

I'm glad it's subtitled as I'm so attached to the voices for each role, but having to ignore the combat to follow some of the dialogue is frustrating at times.

Finally finished the main story after kinda slacking off. So thoughts time:

Pros:
ONE PIECE! Pretty fun playing as the characters from One Piece and kinda going through the story was pretty enjoyable as well.

Game looks really nice. The graphics are stellar, all the backgrounds and the events, even the random mooks look nice as well.

Combat is pretty nice. Much more options than regular musou games and gets pretty fun dashing like a maniac.

Also, the movesets are pretty well done too. Since there are a fewer number of characters, everyone feels unique to play as.

The trophies aren't that annoying to get. Just a few of them look grindy or damn you boss, but nothing terrible.

Cons:
Not Musou enough. By the latter half, I was pretty much sick of the adventures parts.

Lack of a real jump button was killer as well. Especially when you have that psudeo game which may work and you properly jump or you misstep and fall to your doom.

Way too many QTEs. They were everywhere. Pretty much brought me out of the musou experience by having to pay attention for further buttons to press.

Camera's terrible. Doesn't help that the boss fights were generally run in a circle, smack them a little and keep running. Even worse were the boss fights were they toss in adventure stuff like grabbing something cause the boss will totally stop attacking you at that moment.

I didn't really like that Luffy was basically the only playable character in the story mode. Sure, it gives a nice narrative but kinda neglects the other 12 playable characters. Of course there's Another Log, but that doesn't seem to be as fleshed out.

In addition, while it's not new, pretty annoying being suddenly switched out to another character in story mode. Sure nice to use someone new (well besides Nami/Brook), but at least some warning.

The music wasn't that amazing. Or at least, not using the music from the anime was a bad idea.
Hell, the final boss fight was basically a theme stolen from DW7.

But, it's not a bad first musou game for One Piece. I do hope they make a sequel but make it more like a musou game, like kicking out the adventure part all together.

Ive played for a bit but why did the game start with the
pacifista
? Not playing any further until I'm more advanced in the anime.

Ive played for a bit but why did the game start with the
pacifista
? Not playing any further until I'm more advanced in the anime.

That was a flash forward, to hook people who are currently watching the anime in Japan and to show first-time players what your characters will eventually develop into once you've leveled them enough.

I'd rather they flesh out the Adventure part instead of outright cutting it, less QTE platforming would be ideal.

I guess I was too hastily in saying I wanted adventure part tossed out. It was probably from having to deal with it and all of its QTEs in one big go.

But, yeah, if it was more fleshed out and probably had the proper controls such as an actual jump button I would be more ok with it.

I also just started Another Log and finished Zoro's section. I am liking this a whole lot more. Maybe because it's a new character or maybe because I don't have to deal with platforming and QTEs but I do wish Story Mode was more like this.

As I said previously, I appreciate what they went for with the action stages as an attempt at variety. It's just a shame that it's not really that good, main log could use more musou stages but as a consolation another log is nothing but musou stages.
I finished the main game over the weekend, i'd throw in my pros and cons but the other 2 posts detailing as such pretty much nailed it.

For those who has interest on trophies: The US/EU release of this game has a glitch on 1 skill making impossible (for now) gain one of the Gold trophies (We're running away! We stole some gold!). That means it's impossible to reach platinum trophy (on legit way) until NB patchs this error!!. More info on PS3trophies.org

Okay finally finished the Main log/story mode and if anyone has played it to that certain part...
...What the hell Koei?!? One of the emotional impactful storyline and you had to ruin it by scripting it out that way.
Spoilers:
Seriously they made Ace's sacrifice into a joke, the part where Luffy releases his Haki fists at Akainu and beat him senseless, I mean if anything they should have used Whitebeard to beat Akainu, even if it is Luffy's storyline. It would have still worked out using Whitebeard and letting a us go nuts bashing the button. I'm mean this ain't DragonBall logic, Luffy did not have to go Super Saiyan after Ace's sacrifice ala Krillian =; I did a double take when it suddenly made a magma hand stage...
Rant over, will play another logs later, Ace seems like he will be a lot of fun.
Anyone have any idea what the remaining 3 CG movies are?

Btw if anyone is having trouble with bosses.
Protip: Lock on to boss dodge a move and then spam Bazooka at them as it almost always stun them. Once they are dizzy and on one knee do the Gomu Gomu no Kane attack, takes off quite a lot of health from the bosses, in comparison to other attacks.

hswbaz

Neo Member
Man, I just had one big doofy grin on my face for all of Episode 0..

I'm glad I wasn't the only one, this game has brought out joy in gaming I thought I had lost decades ago. I'm taking my time playing this as I'm pretty sure I will never feel this happy playing a game again.

Top Bottom