• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Diablos54

Much as I get annoyed with the 1-1 chapter/episode ratio, it's episodes like this that make me love OP. That was pretty much perfect.

I really don't like how Hordy was able to take every punch from all-new Luffy and just eat more Energy Steroids to get stronger(&faster). Like, 5 times, at the end he even surpassed him kinda (Luffy should have been still be faster AND predict his attacks via Haki).
After getting cut by Zorro and eating tons of it to turn grey, THAT should have been his limit before the drug kills him or something. I would have been fine with having a totally underpowered villain and just making Noah the main threat for Luffy to solve. (though he didn't really solve it anyway as he promised NOT to destroy it... Decken is just unconscious in the story.. I would have though that was on purpose to being able to save the day using him, but nope, just the usual no-one-dies in OP)

Wiseblade

I really don't like how Hordy was able to take every punch from all-new Luffy and just eat more Energy Steroids to get stronger(&faster). Like, 5 times, at the end he even surpassed him kinda (Luffy should have been still be faster AND predict his attacks via Haki).
After getting cut by Zorro and eating tons of it to turn grey, THAT should have been his limit before the drug kills him or something. I would have been fine with having a totally underpowered villain and just making Noah the main threat for Luffy to solve. (though he didn't really solve it anyway as he promised NOT to destroy it... Decken is just unconscious in the story.. I would have though that was on purpose to being able to save the day using him, but nope, just the usual no-one-dies in OP)

That part was anime filler I believe. I don't remember Hordy ever putting up that much of a fight in the manga.

upandaway

In the manga it wasn't even clear that Hody was still popping more steroids every time Luffy hit him. You had to look carefully in one of the smaller panels and watch for the sound effect.

Raxus

Yup thats right...but the anime apparently wanted to make luffy not seem TOO invincible XD

Yeah the fight was WAAAAAAY more one sided (like in the square) when Luffy fought Hordy. I am actually surprised how much of a fight he is putting up.

I am pumped for the next arc since it is fantastic.

I hope someone .gifs the monster chopper dance and laser reactions.

Wiseblade

Someone better gif happy dancing monster chopper!

ibLp3pEfU9IkR.gif

and laser reactions.

ircMPrSmNREuG.gif

BONUS:
imZqvVRIJwdOo.gif
i5kBLr7kkVWkg.gif
icpM8I7eCOzxf.gif

SykoTech

Great new moves all around, but Brook's was probably the best. Dat humming.

Zoro said it best. This whole was only a decent warm-up before going to the New World. It's entertaining, but I hope they get pushed to their limits more in the next arc. And I hope Nami and Robin actually get some fights next time.

And Robin looks so badass in that gif. Haha.

Eps 182 - 195

tumblr_m46g27uOxY1qi030io1_250.gif

Finally this awful Skypeia arc is over. I do not know what Oda was thinking when he penned this but he should have definitely gone back to the drawing board or something. This is one of those cases where I wish he had been inspired by Mashima, of Fairy Tail the other grande adventure battle shounen writer of the age, to learn how to structure his arcs in such a way as to continuously keep my attention. Skypeia was plagued far too much with fights no one cared about, history that was just dull and placed in the worst places, themes that are just boring, and an antagonist that is just awful. Even worst, how the arc concluded is just really unsatisfactory
Enel simply just not even being defeated and going off to space
. I thought the anime would make it better but it just made it just as bad. This arc is truly the worst canon arc in all shounen anime that I have seen and experienced, just as bad as this anime's portrayal of Davy Back.

The best moment of the arc is actually episode 195 as well as the very first episode. Rising up to the clouds and then just the whole thing back down is always an epic adventurous experience full of great moments of crew camaraderie. One Piece is at its best when all the straw hats are together.

And is mantra, really pronounced MAN_TA_DAH? Funidub...

smurfx

get some go again
fuck this episode. god it pissed me off so much. what the hell was luffy doing jobbing to hodi so damn much? the point of this arc was to show how much the strawhats had powered up. luffy getting his ass kicked and coming from behind was not the way to show it. usopps attack looked really weak as well. didn't like sanji's attack all that much.

Diablos54

Finally this awful Skypeia arc is over. I do not know what Oda was thinking when he penned this but he should have definitely gone back to the drawing board or something. This is one of those cases where I wish he had been inspired by Mashima, of Fairy Tail the other grande adventure battle shounen writer of the age, to learn how to structure his arcs in such a way as to continuously keep my attention. Skypeia was plagued far too much with fights no one cared about, history that was just dull and placed in the worst places, themes that are just boring, and an antagonist that is just awful. Even worst, how the arc concluded is just really unsatisfactory
Enel simply just not even being defeated and going off to space
. I thought the anime would make it better but it just made it just as bad. This arc is truly the worst canon arc in all shounen anime that I have seen and experienced, just as bad as this anime's portrayal of Davy Back.
LOL. I'm so glad I don't take you seriously anymore, you would infuriate me so much. :p

Korosenai

fuck this episode. god it pissed me off so much. what the hell was luffy doing jobbing to hodi so damn much? the point of this arc was to show how much the strawhats had powered up. luffy getting his ass kicked and coming from behind was not the way to show it. usopps attack looked really weak as well. didn't like sanji's attack all that much.

I agree with you on Sanji's attack. It was very weak in comparison with everyone else. It didn't even show the point of impact with the kick. It just went from him being on fire and about to kick, to Wadatsumi having a giant crater in his side from the impact.

SykoTech

I'd say Zoro's was the most unimpressive. Looked the same as a regular Onigiri.

The main thing that bothered me was how weak Red Hawk looked this time. It looked like a mindblowing attack last episode, and that was underwater. This time Luffy uses it on dry land, and it doesn't seem to do much at all. I know Hordy ate a lot more pills and all, but Red Hawk should have at least knocked him back some.

But it was all anime filler in the end, so whatever.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It kind of feels like Toei doesn't give a crap at this point. They know One Piece ratings will always be extra-high so they feel they don't have to put as much effort into the show.

I'm hoping for a filler arc after Fishman Island, just so we don't have the same 1:1 pacing for a while. Something like "Post-Timeskip Boss Luffy" or some other alternate universe.

197 - 206

Finally managed to seal the gap in the dub episodes that Ive seen. Now Im completely caught up with the funiDub up to their recent set so episode 217. This filler arc between Skypeia and the Davy Back was actually really enjoyable and fun. Lots of fun moments all around for just about every crew member with Sanji and the cooking captain being my favorite one, Zoro had a few cool moments, and Luffy was just Luffy so there was nothing to dislike. Overall fun and a nice recovery from the Skypeia arc.

Just realized I never ordered the next set, so cant wait for end of this month to come for more One Piece.

Still have about 200 or so episodes I never saw since I jumped in at late impel down.

Yeah the filler in 566 was very poorly done...Hody is nothing to Luffy in the manga. Hody gets destroyed by Red Hawk and then a few seconds later pounded by Elephant Gun. Toei's efforts are pathetic at this stage

BatDan

Yeah the filler in 566 was very poorly done...Hody is nothing to Luffy in the manga. Hody gets destroyed by Red Hawk and then a few seconds later pounded by Elephant Gun. Toei's efforts are pathetic at this stage

I recommend people read the manga from now on, and then when they're caught up, watch the anime.
I will agree, the anime did a piss-poor job on this fight. It was supposed to be a curbstomp battle.

In Funimation news, Rightstuf shipped my copy of Season 4 Volume 2 despite not coming out until the 30th. I know they ship stuff like 2 weeks in advance, but normally not an entire month. Ah well, at least I get to see Funimation's Kuzan.

I recommend people read the manga from now on, and then when they're caught up, watch the anime.
I will agree, the anime did a piss-poor job on this fight. It was supposed to be a curbstomp battle.

In Funimation news, Rightstuf shipped my copy of Season 4 Volume 2 despite not coming out until the 30th. I know they ship stuff like 2 weeks in advance, but normally not an entire month. Ah well, at least I get to see Funimation's Kuzan.

Rightstuf always shifts things super early, and it's generally cheaper then anywhere else for ordering anime.

I've noticed that I'm deliberately holding myself back from watching too much of this at once. I'm loving the fact that I have hundreds of episodes to watch so much that I don't want to be caught up ever.

I've read a lot of whining about Skypiea, which is upcoming for me. Is it objectively worse than what came before or is it a vocal minority thing or what?

789shadow

Banned
I've noticed that I'm deliberately holding myself back from watching too much of this at once. I'm loving the fact that I have hundreds of episodes to watch so much that I don't want to be caught up ever.

I've read a lot of whining about Skypiea, which is upcoming for me. Is it objectively worse than what came before or is it a vocal minority thing or what?
Dedication Through Light hates on it a lot. So that means it's awesome.

The two sagas before and after are better though.

I was biased against Skypiea going into it and as a whole in the One Piece scheme, it just feels different than what the rest of the series is (heavily skewed towards more of the adventure side of things, and etc, IMO) and doesnt really focus on what I want from One Piece. Arcs after it are really good.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Skypiea's a decent arc overall, and it gets really epic towards its conclusion. Its biggest issue is that it is, for all intents and purposes, a 45 episode long diversion from the main adventure of sailing onward through the Grand Line (though the Straw Hats' time there is absolutely critical to many things in the main plot of the series), and it takes a while to really get started. It's also not nearly as good as the Baroque Works Saga that came before it or the CP9 Saga that comes after it.

Among the 5 (well, 6 now I guess) major canon sagas, it's probably the weakest, but that's more a factor of the others being so good than anything else.

BatDan

Plus, some elements introduced in Skypiea won't make themselves important until much later (Mantra, Roger's writing, and the ancient weapon Poseidon come to mind).

You'll also hear a lot of whining about Fishman Island, but I really enjoyed that arc (in the manga at least) and like Skypiea is better in one go rather than waiting weekly.

Thanks to speedy shipping, I got my DVD in. Kuzan/Aokiji sounds great, as does Kokoro and Chimney.
Season 4 Volume 3 comes in December, I have that pre-ordered too.

Thanks to speedy shipping, I got my DVD in. Kuzan/Aokiji sounds great, as does Kokoro and Chimney.
Season 4 Volume 3 comes in December, I have that pre-ordered too.

I should really start ordering from rightstuf instead of amazon, but that stiff 49$ for free ground shipping is too hard to justify for one dvd, especially, since AMZN prime and all.

Who is the VA for Aokiji?

Meh, I liked certain stuff in Skypiea way more than in the previous arc, like the setting. Pretty much everything was so alien to the Strawhats (and me).
They also had no clue what's going on and that made the enemies and "friends" seemed much more powerful as well (apart from being actually powerful with the Mantra/Haki and the Dials).
Overall, I guess it was just more interesting to watch for me, although I didn't had to wait for each episode back then.
Also Enel. Crocodile was already pretty invincible, but they topped everything with Enel, including his awareness Haki combined with far-reaching electrical attacks.
They also have this nice plot buildup about making Enel so godlike and the pay-off of the first encounter with Luffy was so great because of it.
In retrospect it's even better. I mean, only just now after the timeskip is Luffy able to actually fight Logia users (w/o tricks). Enel is pretty much on par with the admirals.

I loved the Skypedia arc, especially the showdown between Enel and Luffy.
I just love how if Enel fought anyone else (that didn't possess Haki) then he would have curbstomped them into the ground. Seriously, what are the chances that those two devil fruit powers would come up against each other?

Maron

Ok, just got my Season Four: Voyage 2 DVD. Last three episodes feature Aokiji and Chimney & Kokoro around the end. For anyone curious I went ahead and uploaded a little clip of Aokiji. He's played by Jason Douglas in the series, not Bob Carter like how it was in the video game.

Ep 564 - 565

564 was quite boring, backstory of characters I dont care about etc. I did like Zoro's part though.

565 was amazing, one of the best episodes this arc, it even had Ace, and Luffy thinking of Ace, which was awesome. Red Hawk was quite cool to see animated.

This.

Coming from the manga I literally facepalmed when I seen Luffy jobbing for Hodi. So what if he's over a 100 milliion in bounty if he had one. Your ass beaten pirates with over 250 million.

That was an awfully paced episode, next week looks pretty weak as well, should have combined the two not enough content to warrant a full episode. As much as I love people yelling Straw Hat for 5 minutes...

Bururian

So I just finished with the Mermaid Island arc. Was it just me, or was the story mostly useless except to showcase the new powers of the Straw Hat Pirates? Also,
Sanji can fly now, that's hilarious.

Bururian

what is this "revenge" hordy keeps going on about
such a terrible villain

This is nice and spoiler-y
I think..
Hordy wanted revenge on humans who kept putting down his kind
so
he pretty much just wanted to kill humans to keep Fish men from getting the idea that humans don't actually hate them. He's just slightly retarded.

So I just finished with the Mermaid Island arc. Was it just me, or was the story mostly useless except to showcase the new powers of the Straw Hat Pirates? Also,
Sanji can fly now, that's hilarious.

Several points of interest happen

- Shows off post time skip powers for SH
- Jimbei
basically says he'll join the SH at a later time
- Luffy
Challenges the emperor Lin setting up that fight
- Introduction of Shirahosi
Reveals she is Posiedon one of the 3 weapons
- Reveals motivation for
Arlong and expands upon Boa's story of how she escaped slavery
- Shows fishman's desire to join the surface world, and that meeting of kings is happening soon

Much of the story is setting up events that we will see eventually in the plot. Saying the story of this arc is useless right now is extremely short sighted, it'd be like saying the Laboon and Little Garden arcs were useless, they didn't establish much right away but they came back to play major roles in later stories.

what is this "revenge" hordy keeps going on about
such a terrible villain

The truth about Hordy is
That there is no hidden reason, he is just a fishman who was raised in a racist environment and became the very thing the royal family/fishman tiger feared. Hordy believes he was given divine power to eradicate all humans and fishman who ally themselves with fishman. It may not be as complex as past villains, but it fits thematically with the story the arc told

Raxus

Just to add on Bass' comment. This is a slow arc but no worries since it picks up towards the very end with some cool revelations and set ups. The next arc is great in the manga and will probably be even better if the anime does it justice.

Bururian

Several points of interest happen

- Shows off post time skip powers for SH
- Jimbei
basically says he'll join the SH at a later time
- Luffy
Challenges the emperor Lin setting up that fight
- Introduction of Shirahosi
Reveals she is Posiedon one of the 3 weapons
- Reveals motivation for
Arlong and expands upon Boa's story of how she escaped slavery
- Shows fishman's desire to join the surface world, and that meeting of kings is happening soon

Much of the story is setting up events that we will see eventually in the plot. Saying the story of this arc is useless right now is extremely short sighted, it'd be like saying the Laboon and Little Garden arcs were useless, they didn't establish much right away but they came back to play major roles in later stories.

The truth about Hordy is
That there is no hidden reason, he is just a fishman who was raised in a racist environment and became the very thing the royal family/fishman tiger feared. Hordy believes he was given divine power to eradicate all humans and fishman who ally themselves with fishman. It may not be as complex as past villains, but it fits thematically with the story the arc told

Fair enough, when I say I just finished, I just not ten minutes beforehand, but the initial reaction was that I was a bit underwhelmed. reflecting back after what you've posted, you're pretty much on the money. I just felt that it didn't need to go on for as long as it did.

Top Bottom