• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

ffdgh

So recently i decided to watch some of the One Piece filler that i skipped when trying to catch up to the series, i'm currently watching that arc where the merry is taken by the marines in that base after skypeia. I saw this drawing of nami and oh no. What is Toei doing?!?!? I dont care if this is a filler arc or whatever, there's no excuse for this.

aDim2.png

her portions are enormous
ly off

If you guys talking about making arcs into movies or specials Marinesford would be a awesome one .
It was really short in the manga , the TV series destroy how fast pace that arc was .
I just don't care about the anime because of how bad the pacing is , still only watch it to see certain things and sometimes even that is done badly .

Mr. Fix

If you guys talking about making arcs into movies or specials Marinesford would be a awesome one .
It was really short in the manga , the TV series destroy how fast pace that arc was .
I just don't care about the anime because of how bad the pacing is , still only watch it to see certain things and sometimes even that is done badly .

Wait... The anime and manga for the war were at about 1:1, and about 30 episodes, no?

Steroyd

Wait... The anime and manga for the war were at about 1:1, and about 30 episodes, no?

That's why it's a problem.

The manga has an average of 18-19 pages per chapter and each chapter got extended to a 20 minute episode in the anime, which didn't work because it was all about Luffy doing a hit and run on alot of people who he was clearly outmatched against while running towards Ace.

You have to remember while the war was about 33 chapters the chapters hardly had any text and was panels were most of time were huge which is not normal OP pacing .
The war could have been done in 10 to 15 eps and be much better .
Right now this 1:1 is crap the OP anime was at it best when it was at a average of 2:1 which stop happening during water 7 .
It was not that bad back then but after Enies Lobby it turning horrible , so much things get draw out or change just to add time.
Which not only makes the pacing suck but also mess up the characters \ story .

Cwarrior

oh shit
slendernami

honestly, the pacing is so horrible in the TV show that im pretty sure they could do it in one long movie or two standard ones

your insaiyan, it would never work, they would need to flush the story down the toilette rewrite it to point it's not water 7 anymore or make it a water 7 best hit moments video like movie 8, it's clear you don't care about a coherent story, but I watch one piece for the story so without it's nothing.

You talk crap about the tv pacing when even the original source material the manga water 7 arc took 109 chapters that's over years 2 to tell this story.

Mr. Fix

1:1 isnt long when marineford was mostly fighting
doesnt take long to get through in manga

That's why it's a problem.

The manga has an average of 18-19 pages per chapter and each chapter got extended to a 20 minute episode in the anime, which didn't work because it was all about Luffy doing a hit and run on alot of people who he was clearly outmatched against while running towards Ace.

I see. Well I did hate those extended Buggy scenes with a passion.

You have to remember while the war was about 33 chapters the chapters hardly had any text and was panels were most of time were huge which is not normal OP pacing .
Right now this 1:1 is crap the OP anime was at it best when it was at a average of 2:1 which stop happening during water 7 .
It was not that bad back then but after Enies Lobby it turning horrible , so much things get draw out or change just to add time.
Which not only makes the pacing suck but also mess up the characters \ story .

I didn't read the manga until the War started, so I assumed that individual chapters back then were at about half the content of the current. Interesting.

hence 2 movies!
come on, the scenes in that arc are just begging for budget

If they do end up making a movie for Water 7, then I really hope they try to preserve the themes played specifically during:
- the walk to Franky's hideout
- the jump off the Enies Lobby bridge
- Mother Sea during Merry's funeral (this one's key!)

I've got 2 friends left who haven't been assimilated so hopefully it's beginner friendly, but I realize that you'd need some context behind the characters to fully enjoy the arc.

Cwarrior

Which not only makes the pacing suck but also mess up the characters story .

you still had a ton of text in the marine ford arc with multiple character speaking/commenting on one page, the one piece manga has changed quite lot from back then when the anime did 2 to 1s, no longer are the backgrounds clean now every single millimeter on the panel is used up with stuff going on the background and foreground, they do quite often do 1.5ch to 1ep but it sometimes resorts to them having to cut out background chatter.

-one of things that makes the anime so good is how it knows to build up scenes in a dramatic effect and knows what tracks to play & when.

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7FmBF5WFJM

Yes a 2:36 second scene were a man flips the earth & sea on it side, would of taken 7 seconds to read the in manga but just wouldn't be as satisfying or as dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWuw_76fmk

some dude throws a log at 3 other dudes and yes it's hyped as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kLO10PLEp8

Takes 1-2 seconds in the manga stretchered to a boss epic entrance lasting over a 1min, you just can't do that dramatic effect in manga.

I do think marine ford could of been paced much better by cutting fat at the start of the arc shorting it by like 3-4 episode max but shorting it down by half would of require them to start cutting panels and I want my panels if they did that they would be no point in watching the anime at all.

-I mostly enjoy the extra scenes for example like smoker vs luffy one

hence 2 movies!
come on, the scenes in that arc are just begging for budget

Still a horrible idea, it doesn't matter if the budget is a 100 billion it means nothing if you can't keep the story intact, what the point might aswell make an original story then.

I wouldn't mind streching arcs with cool extra battle scenes but for example that buggy shit in marineford really started to get on my nerves. Obviously those buggy scenes were cheaper to make but with One Piece budget really shouldn't be a issue.

Cwarrior

yep marine ford was the first arc with some extras I didn't like, like the whitebeard vs blackbeard(making wb look like a dunce trying the same thing twice).

I didn't have much of problem with Shirahoshi but definitely the worst character in the series and I've liked pretty much everyone up until now(yes even next to crazyed racist like hody jones I liked him).

you still had a ton of text in the marine ford arc with multiple character speaking/commenting on one page, the one piece manga has changed quite lot from back then when the anime did 2 to 1s, no longer are the backgrounds clean now every single millimeter on the panel is used up with stuff going on the background and foreground, they do quite often do 1.5ch to 1ep but it sometimes resorts to them having to cut out background chatter.

-one of things that makes the anime so good is how it knows to build up scenes in a dramatic effect and knows what tracks to play & when.

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7FmBF5WFJM

Yes a 2:36 second scene were a man flips the earth & sea on it side, would of taken 7 seconds to read the in manga but just wouldn't be as satisfying or as dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWuw_76fmk

some dude throws a log at 3 other dudes and yes it's hyped as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kLO10PLEp8

Takes 1-2 seconds in the manga stretchered to a boss epic entrance lasting over a 1min, you just can't do that dramatic effect in manga.

I do think marine ford could of been paced much better by cutting fat at the start of the arc shorting it by like 3-4 episode max but shorting it down by half would of require them to start cutting panels and I want my panels if they did that they would be no point in watching the anime at all.

3 to 4 ep getting cut out don't mean much , Marine ford is way to long and full of nonsense.
All of stuff you have there could been done with 15 eps just like how it was done before .

When was the last time you read the war arc because i just read before i made my post ( to make sure of certain things ) .
There not much text at all compare to a normal arc , also chapters are shorter than normal thanks to strong world coming out .
I mean just look at chapters 554 , 555 even in anime format where they add stuff to make it flow better 20 mins each for those chapters is crazy .

Mr. Fix

3 to 4 ep getting cut out don't mean much , Marine ford is way to long and full of nonsense.
All of stuff you have there could been done with 15 eps just like how it was done before .

When was the last time you read the war arc because i just read before i made my post ( to make sure of certain things ) .
There not much text at all compare to a normal arc , also chapters are shorter than normal thanks to strong world coming out .
I mean just look at chapters 554 , 555 even in anime format where they add stuff to make it flow better 20 mins each for those chapters is crazy .

Yet, despite some of the shortcomings, it still completely shits on Bleach's and Naruto's war. Though both aren't finished yet, what we've seen so far is disappointing as hell.

Cwarrior

yeah your right the arc could have been a lot shorter thanks to it being a very different breed of arc one piece usually does & it having a ton scenes were strangly detailed unique one time pirates fight marines inorder to give it a sense/feeling of war, but I'll give you 20eps cause I want savoir the arc.

here's list arc I think would work as movies and ones that won't

Work
Marine ford
along park(already done, didn't work as I hoped it would, didn't manage to get everything in but got most of it)
chopper arc(already done hey it worked for me)
saobondy arc
Impel down
foxy arc

Will not work

alabasta arc (movie 8 is a classical of what happens when you take big arc with lot of trick story developments you end up having to cut a lot of the best moments and make something that confusing to first time viewers)
skypiea
thriller park
fishmen Island
Water 7/skypiea

Mr. Fix

Truth is i rather we get new Movies instead of them redoing stuff .
From the spoilers that online the new movie sounds awesome as hell .

Agreed. Sucks that we'll have to wait like 6 months for it though.

I'm still confused about Strong World in terms of it actually being canon. I know Shiki himself is canon, as are the events in episode/chapter 0. I wonder if he'll ever make his debut in the manga/anime later on. He was a cool villain, but being tied to a movie really only had one outcome for him.

yeah your right the arc could have been a lot shorter thanks to it being a very different breed of arc one piece usually does & it having a ton scenes were strangly detailed unique one time pirates fight marines inorder to give it a sense/feeling of war, but I'll give you 20eps cause I want savoir the arc.

here's list arc I think would work as movies and ones that won't

Work
Marine ford
along park(already done, didn't work as I hoped it would, didn't manage to get everything in but got most of it)
chopper arc(already done hey it worked for me)
saobondy arc
Impel down
foxy arc

Will not work

alabasta arc (movie 8 is a classical of what happens when you take big arc with lot of trick story developments you end up having to cut a lot of the best moments and make something that confusing to first time viewers)
skypiea
thriller park
fishmen Island
Water 7/skypiea

Instead of trying to fit a whole arc into one movie, they should give it the Berserk treatment and split them into multiple movies.

New trailer for the Z film.

It's got hobokiji and kizaru
getting blasted in the face.

Looks great. Hopefully the plot is good.

Mr. Fix

Hot pink afro Brook x Snorkel cigar badass mofo/Avril Lavigne x Nickelback.

I'm so goddam conflicted right now.

I don't think they actually play the movie trailer themes during the actual move. I could see them thrown into the opening (I'm probably thinking of the pokemon films here) or just the ending.

Also, I'm hoping Oda keeps this design of Kuzan in the manga. He's got them burn marks and that neat coat.

tumblr_mdmwhnAkHo1rnoltyo7_250.gif

Cwarrior

New trailer for the Z film.

It's got hobokiji and kizaru
getting blasted in the face.

am conflicted while hobokoiji & kizaru are the reason am interested in the movie, am not happy about the prospect of them jobbing for luffy it's very uncannon(hopefully they don't)

it's odd hearing avril, should of just got nickel back if your using one of there songs., I like the later half of the trailer(hobokoji & snorkel cigar looking to the sky).

ep 570

Im all behind and stuff. Yeah disappointed the anime didnt animate the Aokiji and Sakazuki fight, I was hoping they'd do it since the manga left it off panel and hear they left it off screen, gah. Would have saved time and they could have put the candy stuff and hody stuff for the next episode.

Fun episode with good times with Luffy, Zoro, Sanji.

ep 571

Still behind, actually was really good, seems post Hody FI really brought One Piece back to be enjoyable, fun, and just plain adventurous, so glad about that. That stomach acid...

Its good that at least of JUMP's larger anime adaptations that at least One Piece is staying with canon material while Naruto Shippuden is back and continuing in the land of filler.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, I want to FINALLY watch fishman island and I see that it is esentially done with that latest episode.

I have skipped essentially this entire thread and I really don't want to look back for fear of being spoiled.

Can anyone tell me the episode where that arlong guy and the guy who throws axes at the girl shake hands and make a pact with each other? Thats how far I got before deciding to wait till the arc is over.

Thanks a lot!

Bonus question: How was the arc anyways?

Mr. Fix

Hey guys, I want to FINALLY watch fishman island and I see that it is esentially done with that latest episode.

I have skipped essentially this entire thread and I really don't want to look back for fear of being spoiled.

Can anyone tell me the episode where that arlong guy and the guy who throws axes at the girl shake hands and make a pact with each other? Thats how far I got before deciding to wait till the arc is over.

Thanks a lot!

Bonus question: How was the arc anyways?

The pact is made at the end of 532. As for your other question, it's definitely one of the weakest arcs. It does have it's epic and sad moments though. Watching it in bulk should ease it though.

Mr. Fix

Woah, whats the new movie about? Akoji with burn marks and Kizaru getting punched? Cool!

Some retired Admiral named Z steals a Marines' Dyna Stone - a trump card that supposedly rivals the Ancient Weapons in the manga/anime, to destroy pirates or something. Hobokiji seeks out the crew (which I would assume would be to ask the crew to take Z out, while he hides from the Marines). There's also an army of PX-Zs. Coby and Helmeppo are in too, as a Master Chief Officer and Chief Officer. Whether or not their New World appearances are canon though, remains to be seen/heard from the man himself.

Full hobo gear:

Kuzan_Post_Timeskip.png

Pacifistas modified by Z:

PX_Z_concept.jpg

BHK3

Banned
My memory is my greatest ally, I completely forgot about strong world until I stumbled upon a subbed torrent one day :D

Mikey Jr.

The pact is made at the end of 532. As for your other question, it's definitely one of the weakest arcs. It does have it's epic and sad moments though. Watching it in bulk should ease it though.

Thanks. Yeah, I always enjoy watching things in bulk.

Sucks to hear about the arc, but oh well.

Mr. Fix

Real talk, we need another arc that pits the crew against one another. Though given how well they already mesh together, there'd have to be a huge catalyst.

It's what made Water 7 and the 6th movie so good.

Seriously, there's no fucking way I'm the only one infuriated with this Shirahoshi shit. I mean you want the damsel character, I get that, fine. But do you have to make her THIS high pitched and this loud and this fucking annoying?!

FreeMufasa

About 2 years ago I said I was gonna hit one piece so it could get ahead in episodes. I hate watching 1 a week. So I started last week and had about 100 to watch. Just finished the whiteboard war. My god I love this series. 2 fucking years and it almost makes me she pd a tear.

Watching the Sabo flashback now and it's great so far.

Man I love one piece.

Mr. Fix

Seriously, there's no fucking way I'm the only one infuriated with this Shirahoshi shit. I mean you want the damsel character, I get that, fine. But do you have to make her THIS high pitched and this loud and this fucking annoying?!

I actually had a hard time thinking about who'd be more annoying than here. The voice is bad to the point where I have to turn down the volume. The "not my type" scene was great though.

About 2 years ago I said I was gonna hit one piece so it could get ahead in episodes. I hate watching 1 a week. So I started last week and had about 100 to watch. Just finished the whiteboard war. My god I love this series. 2 fucking years and it almost makes me she pd a tear.

Watching the Sabo flashback now and it's great so far.

Man I love one piece.

Almost passed it up due to the 4kids dub, and having watched Usopp's arc first. I was naive back then, and fell to aesthetic-ness of Bleach and Narutu, whose dubs were/are superior to OP's. Glad to see that you enjoyed the war, and are enjoying Luffy's flashback (I didn't care much for this one tbh).

Blair

Banned
Even though movie 6 is amazing, i've found myself watching movie 4 (dead end adventure) so many times. Something about it, especially the first 1/3, its just so classic.

Mr. Fix

Even though movie 6 is amazing, i've found myself watching movie 4 (dead end adventure) so many times. Something about it, especially the first 1/3, its just so classic.

Wow, you weren't kidding. I'm only halfway right now, but it's been great so far. I think the 5th movie's the one with a different Chopper VA. That's gonna be kinda painful to watch.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Some retired Admiral named Z steals a Marines' Dyna Stone - a trump card that supposedly rivals the Ancient Weapons in the manga/anime, to destroy pirates or something. Hobokiji seeks out the crew (which I would assume would be to ask the crew to take Z out, while he hides from the Marines). There's also an army of PX-Zs. Coby and Helmeppo are in too, as a Master Chief Officer and Chief Officer. Whether or not their New World appearances are canon though, remains to be seen/heard from the man himself.
Oda worked on Z just like he did on Strong World. All the characters and designs are canon, just like Strong World. The actual integration of events into the storyline canon is probably not, also like Strong World.

Mr. Fix

Oda worked on Z just like he did on Strong World. All the characters and designs are canon, just like Strong World. The actual integration of events into the storyline canon is probably not, also like Strong World.

So the movies didn't actually happen (i.e. Shiki's still at large)? Not that I'm too concerned, I just hope that the new designs stay for when they eventually show up in the manga/anime.

Top Bottom