• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Diablos54

Perfect theme used again during the rise to the New World. I'm disappointed that they didn't show the sea of flames though.
We'll get that after the filler, right? That was my favorite part of that scene, really showed how crazy the New World's gonna be.

BDGAME

Man, i love one Piece! How the hell I don't see this topic before? NEPEC is the best shounen I ever read. I mean, there is good shounen, there is great shounen, threre is amazing shounen and there is One Piece!

But recently I heave a question: Is Luffy gay? I now Sanji, Zoro, usopp and Franky are straight, but Luffy is a strange dude. In Allabasta he go see Namy naked, but he does not demonstrate any interest in females at all, especially Boa.

ffdgh

Man, i love one Piece! How the hell I don't see this topic before? NEPEC is the best shounen I ever read. I mean, there is good shounen, there is great shounen, threre is amazing shounen and there is One Piece!

But recently I heave a question: Is Luffy gay? I now Sanji, Zoro, usopp and Franky are straight, but Luffy is a strange dude. In Allabasta he go see Namy naked, but he does not demonstrate any interest in females at all, especially Boa.

Nah luffy isn't gay, He's just extremely oblivious/pure .

The Luffy nose bleed in Alabasta I think was completely forgotten about by Oda during the Amazon Lilly Arc lol unless they're trying to establish Luffy only has feelings for Nami which would make Luffy self insert fan fic for Oda cause Oda married a Nami cosplayer :O

dani_dc

The Luffy nose bleed in Alabasta I think was completely forgotten about by Oda during the Amazon Lilly Arc lol unless they're trying to establish Luffy only has feelings for Nami which would make Luffy self insert fan fic for Oda cause Oda married a Nami cosplayer :O

Oda actually replied to this in one of the SBS.

D: Hey, Oda. In volume 53, chapter 518, Hancock's "Mero Mero Mellow" had no effect on Luffy at all, but in volume 23, chapter 213, it looked like he had a reaction to Nami's "Happiness Punch". Why did he respond to Nami's naked body but no to Hancock's? Is Nami's body just that amazing? -Kazu

O: Wow, I got a lot of questions about this. Is this what you guys are paying attention to? Don't just read manga all day, go study some more!! Okay? Well, I say that, but I do nothing but draw manga. I noticed this when we were drawing it, but if Luffy had a nosebleed when he saw Hancock's body, I think you would all be like "Ehh!?". That's not the Luffy we know. I believe that Luffy reacted to Nami's naked body twice, in volumes 18 and 23, and both times it happened, Usopp was with him! He's the suspicious one! In other words, when Luffy is alone, his reaction is what it was with Hancock. He's interested, but he's not entranced by her. But when he's with Usopp, who's the same age, it's like a kid on a school trip: his bad side comes out!! Yeah, both sides of Luffy feel right to me, so the culprit is definitely Usopp!!

So Usopp is to blame!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Actually, Oda explained this in the Volume 54 SBS. Apparently, Usopp is a bad influence on him, and it's like a school kid acting out in a field trip or something.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_54 You can find it here.

EDIT: FUCK ME I got beaten.

BatDan

If in doubt, blame Usopp. But Oda is right, why aren't you studying? stop over-analyzing this dumb shit, also go take a nap.

But I'm not tired!

Actually, I do wonder how many questions are asked by kids (the target demographic) and how many are asked by adults. Especially since One Piece has a massive adult fanbase (compared to other shonen manga at least). I get the feeling the ones asked by kids involve farting and if Devil Fruit powers effect tits and genitalia.

BatDan

*sees preview for One Piece Romance Dawn RPG on PSP* I can't make myself excited for this because there's zero chance of this coming out in the west.
Hell, I'm surprised we got Pirate Warriors (though a dub would have been nice).

*sees preview for One Piece Romance Dawn RPG on PSP* I can't make myself excited for this because there's zero chance of this coming out in the west.
Hell, I'm surprised we got Pirate Warriors (though a dub would have been nice).

At least for PSP it'll be easy to import

572 - 573
tumblr_mebxvzI7Qv1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Its been so long since I heard Tashigi that I forgot how she sounded in JPN, kind of annoying voice for her. Anyway 574 looks like something that Ive been waiting for for post Fishman Island stuff and in 572 Pekmons punch to the logia user was epic, I always thought Logia > than other DF's but I guess it isnt simple rock paper scissor scheme for what trumps what in the DF web.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That was quick! Cross-posting from the AnimeGAF thread, haha.

One Piece - Sabaody Archipelago Arc (385-405)

That was certainly different. It felt like one of those amazing in-between-arcs episodes they use to introduce new characters and make the viewers remember that Luffy ain't shit yet... Except that this time it lasted 21 episodes.

If I were to rank the arcs I've watched in terms of epicness, Sabaody would only lose to Enies Lobby by a tiny margin. I remember complaining about the usual structure of every One Piece arc back when I finished watching Skypiea (eight months ago, damn), and Oda really went out of his way to break such paradigm with this one.

I watched these episodes way too quickly, and because of that my impressions are still a bit scrambled in my head, so I'll go ahead with a cool list:

-
Racism and human slavery
are themes I certainly wasn't expecting One Piece to touch in such a... Strong way.
Sabaody must be the most fucked up place in this series' canon. Wow. Before they get to the Auction House you feel a bit sorry for the opressed population, but then you understand what really goes on inside their own heads and... Ugh. I was hoping Luffy would destroy the entire Archipelago like he did with Spa Island in the previous filler arc, haha. But the delicious punch he gave that ugly fuck was enough, I guess.
- I remember reading here that Oda created the Supernovas in like a day. That'd be absolutely batshit insane if true.
Even if just like Luffy most of them were crushed to the ground during the Marines attack, just having them there walking around made all these events so much more interesting. All of their designs and powers were awesome. Hopefully not only Kid and Trafalgar survived this ordeal, but the others too. I want to see more of them.
- I shouldn't, but I love this
Willpower
thing. It's so unlike everything else in One Piece, but I guess that's what makes the concept so appealing.
I almost squealed when Shanks walked into Whitebeard's boat two hundred episodes ago, and now Luffy and Zoro are both showing signs of developing their own Willpower... W00t. Also, Rayleigh. So good.
- Fuck
Kizaru,
man. His mouth movements annoy me so much, and the fact that
he's a Logia that'd leave Enel crying in a corner
only fuels my hate.
- Oh, why, hello there, episode 405! I'm starting to notice a pattern here: every
Bartholomew Kuma
-focused episode is the best in the show yet! What a goddamn reality shock that was.
It was obvious Kuma was only sending everyone off, but everyone's shock at their nakama disappearing was really... Something. Oh my feels.

I really don't have anything negative to say about this arc. Some episodes left me unable to move for a couple of minutes due to their amazingness. Even Papugg and Duval were fun, haha. It was basically the most awesome set-up for the final part of the
pre-time skip half (?)
of the series Oda could've come up with. I know some stuff that'll happen in the next 100 episodes, but I really wasn't expecting
the crew to get separated now. I was sure that they'd part ways right before the time skip...
But I was wrong, and I'm so glad for that. I have no shadow of doubt that the next two or three arcs will blow my mind hard.

Previous impressions: Arabasta, Jaya + Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7 + Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark.

I'm not sure if other people will agree with me but I think you're at the right place to watch Strong World now. You're technically at the point you should watch it, and if you ignore that and continue, you'll quickly reach a point where you might think "so all this stuff in the movie happened before this and this and that.. and this and this and that". I'm terrible at explaining myself but I hope you get what I mean.

Brazil if you were planning to watch Strong World this is the part of the story line it would take place (after Thriller before Sabody) of course the character of Shiki won't be mentioned for a few arcs IIRC but as elements of Strong World are canon you should eventually check it out.

Yep, don't forget to watch episode/chapter 0 before you do so. There's sub for it on youtube.

I didn't know this. I guess I'll go watch Strong World now, then. Thanks for the tips, guys.

What's with the filler hate? OP is in dire need of filler arcs right now if we want any hope of a well paced arc.

I have no shadow of doubt that the next two or three arcs will blow my mind hard.

It's good but it's no Enies - Sabaody stuff. Sabaody to me is the final high point. :/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know this. I guess I'll go watch Strong World now, then. Thanks for the tips, guys.

The actual place to watch Strong World is still 20 episodes away, really. The villain of the movie is actually introduced in canon (sorta), and there is even a break in the canon arc for a 4 episode filler arc that vaguely ties into the movie that marks the movie's release. (You don't need to watch that filler arc. It's really, really, really bad.)

BatDan

I'll take One Piece's 1:1 pacing over what happened to Bleach or Naruto any day of the week.

Let's be somewhat reasonable. I don't see One Piece ever getting to the insane levels of the Bount or Sword Beasts in Bleach, or the 85 episode FILLER HELL of Naruto.
The longest bout of filler One Piece ever had was 13 episodes.

Still, it's a double edged sword. 1:1 pacing means no filler but the episodes suffer, and filler is... filler.

Because of the stigma that filler is garbage. Outside of G8, most of the filler has been garbage.

I know I've said it here before but I can skip horrible episodes. I can't skip a 1:1 or even slower paced episode. Amazon Lily -> Fishman would be better condensed. Especially those fast paced arcs that are supposed to take place in like a day. I'm not saying go on a two year filler spree. I'd just like some filler arcs in-between again now that the story allows it.

I mean, just take a look at this list. Earlier episodes had two chapters on average per episode. Sometimes they leaked into a third. Fishman Island has episodes that don't even cover a chapter.

http://onepiece.animelag.com/

572 - 573
tumblr_mebxvzI7Qv1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Its been so long since I heard Tashigi that I forgot how she sounded in JPN, kind of annoying voice for her. Anyway 574 looks like something that Ive been waiting for for post Fishman Island stuff and in 572 Pekmons punch to the logia user was epic, I always thought Logia > than other DF's but I guess it isnt simple rock paper scissor scheme for what trumps what in the DF web.

Armour Haki beats Logia.

BatDan

The issue with Amazon Lily to Fishmen Island was that there was no place to put filler.
... Holy shit I thought of something they could/should of done. Alternate Reality filler arcs, like a 10 episode arc of Boss Luffy, or arcs dedicated to Chopperman, the mobster Straw Hats, or the animal Straw Hats. That way it wouldn't interrupt the main story in an area that doesn't make sense.
Then again, that didn't stop Little East Blue from interrupting the early events of Impel Down. Damn it Toei.

At least we're getting a filler arc that ties in with the upcoming movie starting tonight.

The issue with Amazon Lily to Fishmen Island was that there was no place to put filler.
... Holy shit I thought of something they could/should of done. Alternate Reality filler arcs, like a 10 episode arc of Boss Luffy, or arcs dedicated to Chopperman, the mobster Straw Hats, or the animal Straw Hats. That way it wouldn't interrupt the main story in an area that doesn't make sense.
Then again, that didn't stop Little East Blue from interrupting the early events of Impel Down. Damn it Toei.

At least we're getting a filler arc that ties in with the upcoming movie starting tonight.

I remember reading that ratings for OP tanked when they did that kind of alternate reality stuff same as when they did episodes based upon the cover stories.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Armour Haki beats Logia.
Not necessarily. However, a point has been made several times in the series that some logias tend to get arrogant with their powers and forget what its like to get hit for real, thus contributing to their downfalls (Ex. Enel, Caribou, even Ace). But logias who don't fall to this trap still end up being tough opponents (Ex. The 3 admirals).

But overall you're right: Armor Haki always logias to be hit... unless their really good lol

I remember reading that ratings for OP tanked when they did that kind of alternate reality stuff same as when they did episodes based upon the cover stories.

This actually isn't really true. The cover story episodes and all the Boss Luffy/Chopperman/whatever filler episodes all did just fine ratings wise. The cover stories don't get animated probably because Toei wants the Strawhats in every episode. Why the alternate universe episodes don't get done more often is more questionable, but probably has to do with both the larger difficulty in making any long arc with them and more importantly, a fear that it will hurt more long-term ratings. Of course its all speculative either way since its not like Toei comes out and says why they don't animate more filler or cover story material.

Not necessarily. However, a point has been made several times in the series that some logias tend to get arrogant with their powers and forget what its like to get hit for real, thus contributing to their downfalls (Ex. Enel, Caribou, even Ace). But logias who don't fall to this trap still end up being tough opponents (Ex. The 3 admirals).

But overall you're right: Armor Haki always logias to be hit... unless their really good lol

Marines with admirals/vice admiral rank all have haki training. When Kizaru fought Rayleigh he immediately switched to a more defensive and controlled style of combat. But armour Haki immediately nullifies an advantage that Logias start with while not doing the same for the other types, which is why Caribou was a noob.

SykoTech

So they upload episodes at 9 pm EST now? Neat.

Obivous filler of course, but it wasn't that bad. Already more enjoy than Little East Blue. I like Usopp's and Franky's outfits too.

BatDan

I'm just glad the focal filler character isn't a kid. I know this will likely be superfluous to Film Z but so far this is better than Little East Blue.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How long have PVs only been eight seconds?

I'm like a year and a half behind in the anime, but I'm going to miss hearing that little version of We Are at the end of each episode.

I'm like a year and a half behind in the anime, but I'm going to miss hearing that little version of We Are at the end of each episode.
I think the previews bounce between 8-28 seconds or something, not sure how or why they change the length sometimes.

Unless I'm going crazy!

BatDan

I think the 8 second thing is recent in order to show previews for Film Z. It'll go back to 15/30 next month (I'm guessing).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think the previews bounce between 8-28 seconds or something, not sure how or why they change the length sometimes.

Unless I'm going crazy!

Come to think of it I think that previews were abridged during Marineford for a while. This might just be a temporary thing after all.

I think the 8 second thing is recent in order to show previews for Film Z. It'll go back to 15/30 next month (I'm guessing).

Oh, that definitely makes sense.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

The start of the Marineford arc. Judging by the opening, I imagine that this arc is going to be stupidly intense?

Luffy vs Lucci concluded I think (Watched episode 309). I'm disappointed.

I've loved One Piece for not doing the thing they did here. Luffy was completely beaten, but then seemed to use the power of friendship, love, justice, and being a main character to get up and win. He got seriously knocked down waaaaaaay too many times (And Lucci way too few times) for his victory to not look wrong to me. Just how many unsurvivable ultimate attacks of doom did he get hit with? I loved the Crocodile and Enel fights because there it seemed that stubborn persistence is what keeps Luffy going, and not the power of being the good guy as it was with Lucci.

Other thoughts:

* Robin's "I want to live" = Best moment in the show so far.

* Zoro is using Usopp as his sword while fighting a wolf and a giraffe AND IT DOESN'T EVEN REGISTER HOW WEIRD THAT IS. Kind of awesome how you get used to everything being weird in this universe.

* Berserk Chopper is cool, but I really hope they don't use that too much. Seeing how the last two openings have shown me Mihawk while he doesn't actually seem to show up ever, I have faith in the writer knowing that some things are best when used sparingly.

* Franky went from "Oh god, this is the shipwright they're gonna bring along? Oh god no why no" to an excellent character I can't wait to see more of. How the hell.

* When the Crazy Crazy Rainbow Star chorus kicked in, I burst out laughing.

Top Bottom