• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Meh, once again I enjoy the filler as well.

Better pacing!

Funny!

zQuy2.gif

images-i208005bknq50.gif

It only sucks that I can't see the movie right after this mini arc. I hope they will start some other filler arcs in between the canon ones again now that the plot allows for other stories to be inserted without consequences.
I still would prefer them to make episodes of all the side-story manga arcs of course but by now it's too late...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I take it back.

Ugh, people still use that word? When will people learn it's not this "super special awesome magical word that can NEVER be translated" and can easily be translated to fit the situation?
Fucking Kaizoku-Fansubs and their damn laziness. Good thing that in a year or so, there will be no more use for them.

Cedric

This is a funny coincidence, I've been checking this thread out for a while and it seems that I started One Piece around the same time as Brazil and everytime he posts his impression at the end of an arc it just so happens that my views are incredibly similar and our timing is almost identical... I watched a bunch of episodes in a small period of time right after finishing Thriller Bark though so I'm actually already at Marineford. Something's been bugging me though, am I the only one who feels that sometimes there are too many jokes during serious moments? This is particularily obvious during
Enies Lobby, Impel Down and the Whitebeard War. Whenever I feel like it's getting epic and dramatic Buggy or Hancock break the mood. Same goes for all the toilet jokes with Magellan, he's cool when he's serious but I could've done without the diarhea stuff. Also, I feel like some of the music is misplaced during marineford. I'm at the part where Whitebeard forgives Squardo and Akainu throws meteors and stuff.
With that said, I'm still enjoying the saga, just a little disappointed.

Mr. Fix

This is a funny coincidence, I've been checking this thread out for a while and it seems that I started One Piece around the same time as Brazil and everytime he posts his impression at the end of an arc it just so happens that my views are incredibly similar and our timing is almost identical... I watched a bunch of episodes in a small period of time right after finishing Thriller Bark though so I'm actually already at Marineford. Something's been bugging me though, am I the only one who feels that sometimes there are too many jokes during serious moments? This is particularily obvious during
Enies Lobby, Impel Down and the Whitebeard War. Whenever I feel like it's getting epic and dramatic Buggy or Hancock break the mood. Same goes for all the toilet jokes with Magellan, he's cool when he's serious but I could've done without the diarhea stuff. Also, I feel like some of the music is misplaced during marineford. I'm at the part where Whitebeard forgives Squardo and Akainu throws meteors and stuff.
With that said, I'm still enjoying the saga, just a little disappointed.

I feel that the music has always been placed properly, at least where it matters anyway. I kind of agree about Magellan, but then again, he would have wrecked the others quickly without his gag. The same kinda applies for Kizaru. He has the potential to be the most broken OP character, but Oda balances that out by making him slow-minded. The only real offence is Buggy's extended scenes in the animated Marineford arc.

Cedric

I feel that the music has always been placed properly, at least where it matters anyway. I kind of agree about Magellan, but then again, he would have wrecked the others quickly without his gag. The same kinda applies for Kizaru. He has the potential to be the most broken OP character, but Oda balances that out by making him slow-minded. The only real offence is Buggy's extended scenes in the animated Marineford arc.

The music is usually really well placed, this is something specific to Marineford. I felt like sad/epic music should be playing more often, the atmosphere is too light in general (maybe it's also the fact it takes place in broad daylight, I know this is nitpicking but there's something about the atmosphere that I can't quite put my finger on). When Luffy
advances through the battlefield, you have old allies backing him up and telling him to push on. When Smoker appears and Hancock decides to block his path, thirty seconds later she's dreaming up this fantasy world where she's getting married with Luffy or something.
Between this and emotional scenes like
Ace desperatley screaming for Oars to retreat while he's slowly dying
I feel like if there's one arc where there should've been no joking around it's this one.

This scene at 1:20 is exactly what I'm talking about. This is supposed to be a war and yet stuff like this kinda breaks the mood they're trying to set... (
I'd like to add though that I love how One Piece has a lot of humour, while still having plenty of sad and dramatic moments. However, I do also think there are times when it seems so out of place.

BatDan

The music is usually really well placed, this is something specific to Marineford. I felt like sad/epic music should be playing more often, the atmosphere is too light in general (maybe it's also the fact it takes place in broad daylight, I know this is nitpicking but there's something about the atmosphere that I can't quite put my finger on). When Luffy
advances through the battlefield, you have old allies backing him up and telling him to push on. When Smoker appears and Hancock decides to block his path, thirty seconds later she's dreaming up this fantasy world where she's getting married with Luffy or something.
Between this and emotional scenes like
Ace desperatley screaming for Oars to retreat while he's slowly dying
I feel like if there's one arc where there should've been no joking around it's this one.

This scene at 1:20 is exactly what I'm talking about. This is supposed to be a war and yet stuff like this kinda breaks the mood they're trying to set... (
I'd like to add though that I love how One Piece has a lot of humour, while still having plenty of sad and dramatic moments. However, I do also think there are times when it seems so out of place.

A lot of that you can blame on Toei. Because of their stupid "1:1 ratio", they padded out each episode with superfluous comedy scenes, most of the time just repeating jokes we've seen too many times (Buggy's followers thinking he's a God, Hancock's love for Luffy). The manga does have some comedy in this arc, but nowhere near the levels of the anime. I get the feeling kids are the main reason scenes like that are added, they're still the target demographic.

Cedric

A lot of that you can blame on Toei. Because of their stupid "1:1 ratio", they padded out each episode with superfluous comedy scenes, most of the time just repeating jokes we've seen too many times (Buggy's followers thinking he's a God, Hancock's love for Luffy). The manga does have some comedy in this arc, but nowhere near the levels of the anime. I get the feeling kids are the main reason scenes like that are added, they're still the target demographic.

I figured the manga version would be a lot better, but reading doesn't have as much impact as seeing and hearing for me. Concerning the demographic, is that really what's to blame though? I find they pulled off the dark, heavy atmosphere extremely well from episodes 234 to 247 for example, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here. It does get better though, and I know there's still a lot left to be seen so I'll wait til I finish the arc to see what happens.

As a manga reader I watched part of end of the Marineford arc that was really powerful in the manga
whitebeard dies standing
and they sort of ruined it by inserting all sorts of unnecessary images and generally not quite nailing the tone. But they did not insert jokes there and maybe it just goes to show that anime cannot match Oda at his best when it comes to presentation.

One Piece 574

Yes I loved this episode, the Maelstrom is one of Oda's most ingenious creations and set pieces for the series and they adapted it and the whole moment so well even the whales and what not and then surfacing in the new world. Everything after FI has been so good if only we didnt have filler to break the excitement :(

BatDan

Episode 576

Weird animation spots aside, this was a good episode.
This is how they should do filler. No damn kids around to ruin it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Pre-Strong World filler arc was so bad.

So bad.

Ugh, people still use that word? When will people learn it's not this "super special awesome magical word that can NEVER be translated" and can easily be translated to fit the situation?
Fucking Kaizoku-Fansubs and their damn laziness. Good thing that in a year or so, there will be no more use for them.

lol

BDGAME

Ok, since Rufy is not gay, is it possible that
He and Boa Hancock have a child with, more or less, 1 year old
?

So when I said that "I want to live" is the best moment of the show so far, someone went "Dude, 312" and I watched 312 and it was the best moment of the show so far.

So let's try this again. If I told you that vs Crocodile is Luffy's most awesome and memorable victory, would you say "Yup" or "Keep going"? My next episode is 337.

Mr. Fix

So when I said that "I want to live" is the best moment of the show so far, someone went "Dude, 312" and I watched 312 and it was the best moment of the show so far.

So let's try this again. If I told you that vs Crocodile is Luffy's most awesome and memorable victory, would you say "Yup" or "Keep going"? My next episode is 337.

Well I mean, if we're talking full fights, then it peaks at Luffy vs. Lucci- for me anyway. Thriller Bark's a team effort, and I'm going to say yes, there is a fight in there that I think beats the Crocodile fight. It's not a 1 on 1 though, but it's still awesome. Oh, and get ready for some megatons near the end of the arc. You'll add another "memorable scene" to the collection, but rather than it being a sad one like
Merry's funeral
, it is by far, one of the most epic moments for a certain crew member. A victory though? Depends on how you interpret that. :lol You'll see.

The first half (up to 354 or something) was a snoozefest for me though. So you'll just have to drag yourself past that. It gets good though!

BatDan

In DVD news, Season 4 Volume 3 officially comes out next week. Rightstuf pre-orders should be getting it this week.

In the anime no fight has topped Luffy v Crocodile mostly because of the music choice, in the manga Luffy v Lucci is the best fight. In terms of "holy shit that was awesome" 377, 396, and 521 are real highlights, in terms of emotionally powerful moments 380, 404/405, and 483 are the highlights for that. They're all great moments, but none of them beat the scenes from Enies Lobby, it's still the highlight of the series.

Korosenai

In DVD news, Season 4 Volume 3 officially comes out next week. Rightstuf pre-orders should be getting it this week.

I'm excited to hear Frankie's voice actor for this arc.

I already know he's done some voice acting for the US games, just want to see it and hear it during the anime.

Astral

I'm excited to hear Frankie's voice actor for this arc.

I already know he's done some voice acting for the US games, just want to see it and hear it during the anime.

It's Patrick Seitz right? I'm not sure that's a good choice for Franky. It's just so different from his Japanese voice, though I don't think anyone can top it anyway.

BatDan

It's Patrick Seitz right? I'm not sure that's a good choice for Franky. It's just so different from his Japanese voice, though I don't think anyone can top it anyway.

Having seen some clips, I'll just say that Seitz as Franky will take getting used to. Hopefully he can pull of Kazuki Yao's flamboyance in certain scenes.

On the bright side, it could have been a lot worse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJaFunXGVs
Be glad 4Kids never got to him.

BatDan

Episode 577

At least Z showed up in a cameo, so they did actually try to connect this to the movie.

Speaking of that, it came out today. The part that sucks is waiting for an English version of some sort, hopefully Funimation gets it in their next One Piece acquisition.

There's a new opening after this movie tie-in filler is over, right?

No one knows. Lots of people think so. I just don't see it coming. Seems like there was usually some info like an artist or band doing the song, etc... I'm guessing it's going to be like We Are where it lasts awhile since it's the beginning of a new "series".

dani_dc

I figured the manga version would be a lot better, but reading doesn't have as much impact as seeing and hearing for me. Concerning the demographic, is that really what's to blame though? I find they pulled off the dark, heavy atmosphere extremely well from episodes 234 to 247 for example, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here. It does get better though, and I know there's still a lot left to be seen so I'll wait til I finish the arc to see what happens.

I used to think this as well, but since the anime started being 1:1 it just became unbereable and I eventuallly just started to read the manga instead. I have to say that I enjoy the manga much more than the anime(when comparing the same arcs). The current pace just completely kills the anime for me.

Impel Down was especially bad, in the manga it was a very fast paced arc with a feeling of "can't stop", yet in the anime it felt like a field trip, it completely ruined the arc.

Wiseblade

No one knows. Lots of people think so. I just don't see it coming. Seems like there was usually some info like an artist or band doing the song, etc... I'm guessing it's going to be like We Are where it lasts awhile since it's the beginning of a new "series".

We Go's already lasted 60 episodes to We Are's 47.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Punk Hazard doesn't start for another 3 weeks in the anime, so there's still plenty of time to release info about it. At this point the only OP to last longer than We Go! is Believe, the second OP of the series, which clocked in at 69 episodes, so this current opening is even closing in on that now.

Also, while they usually release info about new opening themes in advance, they don't always do so.

Top Bottom