• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

I started in on this show after hearing about it for ages...this was about 6 months ago? I wasn't impressed, and I didn't hate it. Quit at about episode 40ish. I'm gearing up to give another go and hop back in.

I started in on this show after hearing about it for ages...this was about 6 months ago? I wasn't impressed, and I didn't hate it. Quit at about episode 40ish. I'm gearing up to give another go and hop back in.

That's where I stalled in watching the first time through as well. Picked it up a while later and pretty much caught up very quickly.

Cedric

Well, I finally finished Marineford and just wanted to say that although I'm sure the manga version must be superior by far, I feel that it really picked up from the part that I was at during my last post. I wish we could've seen more of the off-screen fights,
most of the time two badass characters cross paths but you never see the outcome, like Crocodile versus Doflamingo. I "enjoyed" both Ace's and Whitebeard's deaths, the whole Blackbeard situation and of course Shanks' badass entry.
Can't wait to be up to date with One Piece, I've been spoiled so much stuff in the past, so from that point on I'll finally be able to enjoy the story without knowing what's ahead.

So Brook seems kind of like one of the greatest characters in anything ever. Just saw him murder the spider thing by walking past it and I'm a fan and his yohohoho is stuck in my head.

aechris

Can't wait to be up to date with One Piece, I've been spoiled so much stuff in the past, so from that point on I'll finally be able to enjoy the story without knowing what's ahead.

I've been caught up since Water 7 and I've had TONS of shit spoiled for me. :(

You'll be safe if you never watch Youtube videos, never read message boards (even unrelated to One Piece) and never talk to anyone who reads to comic ever.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've been caught up since Water 7 and I've had TONS of shit spoiled for me. :(

You'll be safe if you never watch Youtube videos, never read message boards (even unrelated to One Piece) and never talk to anyone who reads to comic ever.

Pretty much.
Anything that was a shocking twist when it was first revealed has since become common knowledge that going in spoiler-free is nigh impossible.

Z ambition filler arc is starting out alright, surprised how fast the first 13 minutes went, everything so good then while afterwards spiraled downhill a bit to introduce stuff. Everything so adventurous and fun with the Momomemendum waters stuff.
Rediculous when it parted the waters, what even how is that possible?

Like Zoro and Luffy's matching outfits

BatDan

Voice actor news.
Upcoming arc villain Caesar Clown will be voiced by Ryusei Nakao, best known as the voice of Freeza from Dragon Ball Z.

That... actually works.

q9nIL.jpg

One Piece 578: Z's Ambition Arc - Luffy vs. Shuzo!

One Piece 579 Preview: Landing! Punk Hazard, The Burning Island!

Eww at Luffy jobbing again, why does anime filler love to make Luffy look much weaker then he is? The scene at the end with Z made it all worth it though.

Drago

So I just started watching this show about a week ago (subbed). I'm already up to episode 50... this show is so addicting to watch, especially during the Luffy battles.

I have too much free time ._.
Probably won't be posting in this thread much, spoilers and all... hope to be completely caught up on everything by the end of March, but that seems a bit too hopeful seeing as I still have ~525 episodes ahead of me. Oy...

Edit: nm

789shadow

Banned
So I just started watching this show about a week ago (subbed). I'm already up to episode 50... this show is so addicting to watch, especially during the Luffy battles.

Probably won't be posting in this thread much, spoilers and all... hope to be completely caught up on everything by the end of March, but that seems a bit too hopeful seeing as I still have ~525 episodes ahead of me. Oy...

Also, to get this out of the way: I've been watching subbed episodes through Hulu but the subs stop at around ep.250 and go straight to around ep.390, what's the best place to find subs for the episodes not on Hulu, whenever I get to that point?
Not sure if I can say without getting banned.

Also, to get this out of the way: I've been watching subbed episodes through Hulu but the subs stop at around ep.250 and go straight to around ep.390, what's the best place to find subs for the episodes not on Hulu, whenever I get to that point?

I believe it's because no official subs exist for those episodes yet, there are lots of unofficial places you can find fan subs for those episodes but you'll get banned for posting/linking to them.

Also if you are planning to skip filler arcs/episodes you can cut out about 60ish episodes from your viewing of OP.

So what happened at the end of Thriller Bark exactly?

That Kuma guy was sent in to kill everyone. What does Zoro (and then Sanji as well) hope to achieve by offering their heads instead of Luffy's? Kuma will take their heads and then everyone else's as well because that's what he is there to do. Offering to be first in line is kind of weird.

Then he says that taking Luffy would be the dishonorable thing to do because he's half dead already. So...how about you take everyone else while you're here? Aren't you here to do exactly that? Also, seeing how he has the power to remove all pain and exhaustion from people, how about you to do that to Luffy and then have an honest fight?

How does presenting Zoro with a pain bubble and then leaving make any sense?

Mr. Fix

That Kuma guy was sent in to kill everyone. What does Zoro (and then Sanji as well) hope to achieve by offering their heads instead of Luffy's? Kuma will take their heads and then everyone else's as well because that's what he is there to do. Offering to be first in line is kind of weird.

Then he says that taking Luffy would be the dishonorable thing to do because he's half dead already. So...how about you take everyone else while you're here? Aren't you here to do exactly that? Also, seeing how he has the power to remove all pain and exhaustion from people, how about you to do that to Luffy and then have an honest fight?

Kuma isn't exactly a bad person,
given his history with the Revolutionaries.
Besides, he's a warlord, not a marine. They're all just barely "government dogs". Also, you can't doubt Zoro's role as the 1st mate. That shit was boss all around.

The spoiler part is also something to keep in mind for the the next arc.

It'll make more sense later on when you find out
Kuma used to work for Luffy's father Dragon and he actually wants to and does help the Strawhats on 3 different occasions, this being the first one
so if you don't want to be spoiled just wait it'll make sense later.

I got Collections 1-8 today. :)

Oh cool! I wish I could continue my anime collection again. I'll likely will after I catch up with Viz's current OP releases.

Got volumes 9-17 for Xmas. I really like that they reprinted them with the saga title and the quality of pages are much better, imo. I'm now 31 volumes behind (now own 1-17, 24, 39-54). I might get 18-23 soon to fill that first gap. I just can't wait to have the entire story thus far (and to share!). :)

BatDan

Not in a million years would I ever pay for that shit.

At least he's not recommending Fairy Fail I mean Tail.

I'm not looking forward to my crusade of purchasing every OP volume, so much unneeded Zolo in my life

I'm waiting for the special edition that restores it. At least, that's what editor Alexis Kirsch promised in an interview. Then again, he is a troll.

I'm not looking forward to my crusade of purchasing every OP volume, so much unneeded Zolo in my life

I hate "Zolo" too, but it's still readable. I just read it as "Zoro" as I have been doing with each one. Also, reading the characters' bubble with the Funi dub voices makes it even more enjoyable for me.

tumblr_mes10j803w1r6kceto1_250.gif
tumblr_mes10j803w1r6kceto2_250.gif

Zoro and Sanji were epic as usual (Zoro can fly?!) though their new outfits are so stylish and distracting. Wish they could keep them. Luffy was funny. I think this is a pretty good filler arc of sorts, if it can stay like this. Only issue I see is that we dont know who Z is? or at least how Z looks?

tumblr_mes10j803w1r6kceto1_250.gif
tumblr_mes10j803w1r6kceto2_250.gif

Zoro and Sanji were epic as usual (Zoro can fly?!) though their new outfits are so stylish and distracting. Wish they could keep them. Luffy was funny. I think this is a pretty good filler arc of sorts, if it can stay like this. Only issue I see is that we dont know who Z is? or at least how Z looks?

Yeah Sanji learned Geppo/moon walk during the type skip, which makes sense given his strength. He shows it off in his battle against the giant in Fishman Isle.

BatDan

Guess I'm buying Voyages from now on.

Probably a good idea. You can still double dip if you fear holes in your collection.

I managed to almost all the Voyages, including one of the out of print ones for like $70 dollars. The Collections are a better deal at this point. All I'm missing are Season 3 Voyages 4 and 5. Shouldn't be hard to get.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That filler arc ended weirder than anything since Rainbow Mist

When is the next Collection coming?

Funimation usually releases their collections about 1 year after their done releasing the individual DVDs of a series. And like Batdan said, they'll probably due it once season 5 is done. So we're talking very end of 2014/beginning of 2015 before they release collection 9.

789shadow

Banned
Funimation usually releases their collections about 1 year after their done releasing the individual DVDs of a series. And like Batdan said, they'll probably due it once season 5 is done. So we're talking very end of 2014/beginning of 2015 before they release collection 9.
I had no idea all 8 Collections were basically released this last year.

Top Bottom