• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
znriae.gif
dcyi4n.gif

2vifdx0.gif
2ptqaag.gif

efkmc5.gif
mqc7o.gif

Well ive been sick for 3 days (still am) so Ive just watched One piece none stop:lol picked up from the Brook(e?) filler after TB right up till the snake fight finale on Amazon lilly. Have to say I think the archipelago (not sure of the proper name) saga is now probably my favourite due to how mental and fucked up it is compared to the rest (the whole scene with the guys neck ring going off and then she just shoots him etc) It was just awesome.

Bit sad theres only 4 more or so then I have to start waiting each week :(!

Neo C.

I can't get enough from Hancock. I'm surprised how smooth her transformation from a bitchy character to a really cute person was. Oda really creates some awesome characters.

More shoujo sequences! Hancock is so awesome. :lol :lol

EDIT: Chopper and Sanji in trouble, for entirely different reasons. :lol
EDIT 2: Wow, you could pretty much make quality anigifs out of the entire episode. :lol

grandjedi6

The Hancock/Luffy scenes this week were actually from the manga unlike last week. To be specific, its from 2.25 pages of chapter 524. It makes me wonder if 2 episodes from now will contain something far more interesting instead of the typical Luffy/Hancock scene ;)

The chopper scene pretty much switched between "haha look at Chopper get hurt" and "aww look at poor little Chopper".... meh. And wtf @ Toei not mentioning that Chopper is in South Blue. Seems like its kinda important, you know?

The Sanji scene totally made up for it and saved the episode. I especially love how not only did Toei build it up but had Sanji go out of his way to dig his own grave. Brilliance! :lol

grandjedi6 said:
The Hancock/Luffy scenes this week were actually from the manga unlike last week. To be specific, its from 2.25 pages of chapter 524. It makes me wonder if 2 episodes from now will contain something far more interesting instead of the typical Luffy/Hancock scene ;)

The chopper scene pretty much switched between "haha look at Chopper get hurt" and "aww look at poor little Chopper".... meh. And wtf @ Toei not mentioning that Chopper is in South Blue. Seems like its kinda important, you know?

The Sanji scene totally made up for it and saved the episode. I especially love how not only did Toei build it up but had Sanji go out of his way to dig his own grave. Brilliance! :lol

Chopper's exact whereabouts aren't too important; he's just completely lost like everyone else who was teleported. The episode was funny just to show that he's basically a lost little kid who's now in a situation where everybody treats him like food. Sorta like Sanji's situation, only Sanji's is entirely his own fault. :lol

Hancock fits in so well now since both she and Sanji have such strong delusional qualities. :lol

JDSN

Banned
:lol I was laughing out loud during most of Sanji part, is amazing how they used his quirks for make the final outcome way more satisfiying than on the manga.

Edit: I need a gif of the dream shattered part. :D

grandjedi6

So next week is Brook & Zoro's episode, but later in November and December...

Hm, the table is about special episodes connected with the movie "Strong World".

Here's the translation:

15.11. #426: Movie-connected Special: Gold Lion's aspiration becomes true

22.11. #427: Movie-connected Special: The aim is Little East Blue

29.11. #428: Movie-connected Special: Fierce Attack of the Amigo-Pirates

06.12. #426: Movie-connected Special: Decisive battle! Luffy vs Largo

So another filler before Impel Down Arc starts!? But I'm really excited about the movie special...^^
http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1307821&postcount=1477

Movie specials to promote the movie are pretty interesting and will probably just further increase the canon speculation. But what are they going to do with the 4 episodes that will air inbetween Zoro/Brook's story and the movie specials? Are they really going to go into Impel Down and then immediately intertrupt it with filler? Or are those 4 episodes themselves going to be filler? I don't know, guess we'll find out in 4 days when the schedule updates.

they cut off Usopp's story since Robin's was pretty long. I liked hers. and I liked the whole Hancock/Luffy moment in the beginning :lol.

grandjedi6

DMPrince said:
they cut off Usopp's story since Robin's was pretty long. I liked hers. and I liked the whole Hancock/Luffy moment in the beginning :lol.

16kxfe0.png

So first we had pretty boy Luffy and now we have Pimp Luffy.

Dresden

So I'm up-to-date on the manga releases now, and I'd like to start watching the anime again--should I start from the end of Enies Lobby, or just skip ahead to Hancock/Impel Down? I already know what happens, I'd just like to catch up.

gdt

Yeah, just go from Water 7 on.

The ending (especially animated) of Thriller Bark is so amazing and emotional it should not be missed.

Another great episode. :lol

Zoro's irritation vs. Negativity powers, and Brook's pervert cult. Fitting. :lol But Hancock once again steals the show with her utter delusional state. :lol

Firestorm

Rightstuf has 33% off all Viz manga. Brings One Piece Volume 1 - 48 to ~$265 USD. I am SOOOOO tempted to order this. However, half of it are pre-orders (1-12 and 25-48) which means it'll probably ship late next year since I'm in Canada and they don't send partial payments.

BUT SO TEMPTED.

I think I'm going to order tomorrow (last day).

Neo C.

Now I think it's rather unlikely that Hancock will be a crew member of Luffy. There a several arguments against this scenario (her role as a shichibukai and empress of the kuja pirates, her power level). I bet Oda will let her chase him (with her crew) to the new world.

Firestorm said:
Rightstuf has 33% off all Viz manga. Brings One Piece Volume 1 - 48 to ~$265 USD. I am SOOOOO tempted to order this. However, half of it are pre-orders (1-12 and 25-48) which means it'll probably ship late next year since I'm in Canada and they don't send partial payments.

BUT SO TEMPTED.

I think I'm going to order tomorrow (last day).

Yeah, it's a good deal, but since you'll be waiting til June minimum it's a tough wait. Also, expect a brutally heavy box. :lol (Also, at that price level the membership may give you a better discount than the price of the card)

The really crappy thing would be the customs charge though. If you're lucky they won't open it up just to charge you the extra five bucks.

Firestorm

what have i done D:
296f4v7.gif

Yeah, I ordered the membership. 10% was $26 off on top of the above price. Way cheaper than Canada prices even if Chapters put on their Buy 3 get 1 Free sale again. Asked my friend who works there and he said those sales were really infrequent anyway.

I should get it in May / June I guess! They ship using DHL. Hopefully customs charge isn't horrid.

Maron

Hooray, I'm fully* caught up to the anime now! :D

And I'm in chapter 528 of the manga, the Impel Down arc.

*I've skipped all fillers and specials, and I haven't watched 421 yet, but I think I'm close enough.

Firestorm said:
what have i done D:
296f4v7.gif

Yeah, I ordered the membership. 10% was $26 off on top of the above price. Way cheaper than Canada prices even if Chapters put on their Buy 3 get 1 Free sale again. Asked my friend who works there and he said those sales were really infrequent anyway.

I should get it in May / June I guess! They ship using DHL. Hopefully customs charge isn't horrid.

Holy Shit!

bathala

Banned
Firestorm said:
The episodes on the Funimation site haven't worked for me for the last two weeks -_-
just finished watching from their site (used IE browser - dunno if makes any difference)

LOL Brooks :lol

finally, anime is moving along

Himuro said:
Major spoilers from manga

The fact that Ace says,"It doesn't matter to us at all. Because Luffy and I unfortunately have the blood of the world's most infamous criminal in our veins anyway." makes me STILL think that the fact Ace is Gold Roger's son, and not TRULY Dragon's son, to be a total copout.
That's a bad translation. The correct one reads something like
"We both have the blood of a world class criminal in our veins."
How can it be a cop out when it was planned out years in advance? Oda's foreshadowed it from the very beginning by giving Ace
a different last name than Luffy.
Not to mention
Garp never once referred to Ace as his grandson
even at Water 7.

Twig

Banned
Himuro said:
The whole,"She kept the baby inside her belly for 2 years!
thing is really fucking reaching.
If this wasn't One Piece, I'd agree... but this is One Piece. This is a world of amazingly bizarre and impossible feats.

Mikey Jr.

Himuro said:
I dunno. I guess it could use clarification but
the manga made it seem like she had it in her womb for like 2 years
which is beyond stupid to me.

Well she died. So maybe it is plausible. Dunno.

edit: From one piece wiki.
"There she held her pregnancy for 20 months through sheer willpower in order to deceive the world of Ace's connection to the Pirate King. The result of holding Ace for so long however led to her death from exhaustion after giving birth."

Just wondering what you find stupid? Serious question.

Firestorm

bathala said:
just finished watching from their site (used IE browser - dunno if makes any difference)
Yep switching to IE seems to work. I think my Firefox is borked. Crashes a lot more now too.

Samara

I'm like really far from the current episode(like episode 100), but Holy Shit at the gifs :lol :lol :lol , Can't wait to catch up

Himuro said:
One Piece episode 423: A Reunion in Hell?! The Man Who Ate The Chop Chop Fruit!

Wow. The episode itself is great - Hancock's delusions continue :lol :lol - but damn, I guess funimation's compromise is over. Each of the places in the original episode that would have commercial breaks (end of intro, mid-ep) have actual commercials now (the same crappy Windows 7 ad).

Still better than nothing, but if we have to endure the ads it would be nice to have all of this year's episodes...

EDIT: sigh. now the ep failed 3/4ths in. Time to wait through some crappy commercials again...

EDIT: ughhhh so many commercials. This is almost unwatchable.

Himuro said:
Uh, I didn't see any commercials.

You running adblock? Maybe that works for it...but vanilla Firefox install, and the ep was paused for commercials four times, with another 3 because the ep stalled midway and the only way to get it going again is reloading the page.

Yeah, there were advertisements this time. I was watching on IE8 because it wouldn't load on Firefox.

I believe there were three commercials, one after the intro, one in the eyecatch, and one sometime after the eyecatch.

watervengeance said:
Yeah, there were advertisements this time. I was watching on IE8 because it wouldn't load on Firefox.

I believe there were three commercials, one after the intro, one in the eyecatch, and one sometime after the eyecatch.

There's also the one before the episode loads, that's how I counted four. -_-

I got one commercial at around the 20 min. mark. It seemed so weird and random since I normally only see one before the video loads. They really need to get more than At&t to advertise. Tired of seeing Hansel and Gretel (or whoever they're supposed to be) running around the city.

Other than that another good episode. I'm going to miss Hancock's imaginations since it will be awhile before we see them again. Although short, I liked the scene where the Blugoris chopped up the Sea King. Can't wait to see Luffy and Buggy fighting together.

Top Bottom