• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

tumblr_mf496xdDaf1qzj1clo2_400.gif

Filler arc still good, though it doesnt make sense in the context of canon, or rather it highlights a major flaw of one piece.
How does it even make sense that Zoro and Luffy would struggle against such characters when they have such huge bounties and have both defeated foes much stronger than these filler characters, utterly baffling that they could only stay on the defense the whole time
. Why we only get a silhouette of Z...

Diablos54

tumblr_mf496xdDaf1qzj1clo2_400.gif

Filler arc still good, though it doesnt make sense in the context of canon, or rather it highlights a major flaw of one piece.
How does it even make sense that Zoro and Luffy would struggle against such characters when they have such huge bounties and have both defeated foes much stronger than these filler characters, utterly baffling that they could only stay on the defense the whole time
. Why we only get a silhouette of Z...
That always happens with filler though, nothing to do with OP.

Drago

Man, I'm almost through with Alabasta (just finished ep.121)...

This show is really something else. I love it.
3AQmK.gif

Honestly, one of my favorite things about it is how much it makes me hate it's villains. Makes their defeats all the more sweet.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm almost through with Alabasta (just finished ep.121)...

This show is really something else. I love it.
3AQmK.gif

Honestly, one of my favorite things about it is how much it makes me hate it's villains. Makes their defeats all the more sweet.

Crocodile is the best. Still one of my favorite villains in anything ever. His ONLY undoing is the fact that he's in a shounen manga. Otherwise he's got absolutely everything covered. Such a boss.

Moaradin

I'm 30 episodes into this show and so far I'm enjoying it. It's a little slow so far though, I gotta admit. When does the show REALLY hit it's stride? I heard the Arlong arc a couple times. Is that true?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm 30 episodes into this show and so far I'm enjoying it. It's a little slow so far though, I gotta admit. When does the show REALLY hit it's stride? I heard the Arlong arc a couple times. Is that true?

Yea that's when the steep and endless ascent up awesome mountain begins. It never really stops being good after Arlong.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

REALLY hit its stride? It keeps building for a couple hundred episodes. But yes, Arlong is the first time the show really starts to hit some of the high notes.

Episode 37 in particular, I'd say.

Moaradin

Is that a bad thing? =P

But yeah, Arlong for sure.

Yea that's when the steep and endless ascent up awesome mountain begins. It never really stops being good after Arlong.

REALLY hit its stride? It keeps building for a couple hundred episodes. But yes, Arlong is the first time the show really starts to hit some of the high notes.

Episode 37 in particular, I'd say.
I'm looking forward to it!

789shadow

Banned
The Arlong arc is the first of many, MANY "hook" moments for the series. If Arlong doesn't quite do it, something else may, such as Whiskey Peak, or Alabasta, or ESPECIALLY Water Seven/Enies Lobby.

Steroyd

The Arlong arc is the first of many, MANY "hook" moments for the series. If Arlong doesn't quite do it, something else may, such as Whiskey Peak, or Alabasta, or ESPECIALLY Water Seven/Enies Lobby.

I'd say Water7/Enies Lobby has the biggest hook, but that's a ridiculous number of episodes to go through if you haven't been feeling it prior.

I feel like if someone got all they way to the end of Alabasta and still wasn't invested in the series there would be no way they'd get though Skypiea to get to Water Seven/Enies Lobby.

Jaroof

Huh.. I was looking at fights on youtube, and ran across Luffy's fight with
Don Accino

I was wondering how
he was able to even hit him, even though he was 10,000+ degrees.. they never really explained it. Well, I looked at this video, and someone pointed out that at 3:51, a blue aura surrounds Luffy's arms. Haki!
Though it wasn't explicitly said, that pretty much shows what happened.

This was pretty much the only fight in the series that was left me feeling cheated out of knowing what happened... until now ^_^

Filler bro

I know, but still. It was the only fight that left me confused.

Don Accino

I was wondering how
he was able to even hit him, even though he was 10,000+ degrees.. they never really explained it. Well, I looked at this video, and someone pointed out that at 3:51, a blue aura surrounds Luffy's arms. Haki!

This was pretty much the only fight in the series that was left me feeling cheated out of knowing what happened... until now ^_^

Filler bro

Moaradin

Just got done with the Arlong arc. Wow, great stuff. I'm definitely hooked now. Got one question though.

Since I'm nearing my first set of filler episodes, I would like to know if they are worth watching or not. Do they fit with the canon episodes, or are they kinda random and aren't worth watching?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The thing about One Piece is that every canon arc is important, as small details can and will be used later for extremely important reasons.

My favorite is always
Silvers Rayleigh's
ultra-early cameo. He shows up in Chapter 19/Episode 8 punching out Shanks and Buggy for a petty argument, and then becomes mega-significant during the Sabaody Archipelago arc 10 years later.

Just got done with the Arlong arc. Wow, great stuff. I'm definitely hooked now. Got one question though.

Since I'm nearing my first set of filler episodes, I would like to know if they are worth watching or not. Do they fit with the canon episodes, or are they kinda random and aren't worth watching?

There's a filler arc coming up that mixes in a scene from the manga. Thankfully it's in the beginning of the second episode so you can skip the rest after that.
To clarify, it answers why pirates can't just directly sail into the Grand Line.

Watch the filler in Loguetown (honestly if you didn't know half of it was filler you'd never guess), feel free to skip the Apis/Warship island arc if you want. It's not that it's bad there are just two issues I have with it

1. It establishes things that will be completely contradicted later (Zoro cutting steel, Straw Hats meeting dragons)

2. None of the fights are any good

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Don Accino

I was wondering how

I know, but still. It was the only fight that left me confused.

Impossible. Ice Hunters aired before the concept of Haki was introduced. That was just a visual effect.

Also Ice Hunters is one of the fillers that Toei cares so little about that its not even included on their DVD collection boxsets.

Drago

Marathoned the rest of Alabasta last night. Really great arc, definitely my favorite as of now. Only complaints are that it could have probably been shorter (the filler in the beginning was awful, wish I knew it was filler before watching), and I don't know what it was exactly but I didn't really like Vivi at all. :/

Apparently episodes 131-143 are filler, any of those worth watching?

BatDan

Marathoned the rest of Alabasta last night. Really great arc, definitely my favorite as of now. Only complaints are that it could have probably been shorter (the filler in the beginning was awful, wish I knew it was filler before watching), and I don't know what it was exactly but I didn't really like Vivi at all. :/

No. Skip to 144.
Actually, 135 is supposedly the story of how Zoro met Johnny & Yosaku. But it's filler so... take it with a grain of salt.

Cedric

This has probably been asked many times, but do we have an idea of how much sagas are left til the end of the story? I just reached Fishman Island, I'm going to stop for a while, at least until they finish recording Punk Hazard or something. I was talking to my friend a while ago and he was saying how he'd like One Piece and those other shows to continue "forever", maybe it's just me but I'd prefer if it didn't drag on for too long. Two more years sounds reasonable, I can't imagine starting One Piece in 1997 and still be reading it in 2013 knowing there might be 7 more years left, sounds like torture! :p

789shadow

Banned
This has probably been asked many times, but do we have an idea of how much sagas are left til the end of the story? I just reached Fishman Island, I'm going to stop for a while, at least until they finish recording Punk Hazard or something. I was talking to my friend a while ago and he was saying how he'd like One Piece and those other shows to continue "forever", maybe it's just me but I'd prefer if it didn't drag on for too long. Two more years sounds reasonable, I can't imagine starting One Piece in 1997 and still be reading it in 2013 knowing there might be 7 more years left, sounds like torture! :p
I'd say it has about 8 more years.

Diablos54

Two more years sounds reasonable, I can't imagine starting One Piece in 1997 and still be reading it in 2013 knowing there might be 7 more years left, sounds like torture! :p
Well, the timeskip is about halfway point so... Yea, we got quite a few years left to go.

Cedric

I'd say it has about 8 more years.

Whaaat? Apart from One Piece, the only other anime I've watched is Dragonball (which by the time I started watching it GT was already over) and Samurai Champloo (which is like 20 episodes)... This is the first time I've started something with no ending in sight... But wow 8 years is a long time! Is there someone here that's actually been reading since 97?

BatDan

Whaaat? Apart from One Piece, the only other anime I've watched is Dragonball (which by the time I started watching it GT was already over) and Samurai Champloo (which is like 20 episodes)... This is the first time I've started something with no ending in sight... But wow 8 years is a long time! Is there someone here that's actually been reading since 97?

Eight years might be generous, it could go on for even longer. There's still a ton of stuff to cover.

Also, I imagine the only people reading since 97 are from Japan.

EDIT: There used to be a site that would keep track of every notable loose end and major mystery in the series. It's gone now though...

Cedric

There used to be a site that would keep track of every notable loose end and major mystery in the series. It's gone now though...

That sound's pretty cool, I wonder if there's a backup of this somewhere.

Right now Oda says he about 60% done so if i had to guess 8 - 15 years left .

One Piece has been going on for approximately 15 years, if there is really 15 more years left then wouldn't the majority of the fans be completely replaced countless times over the course of 30 years? Maybe I'm missing something, but apart from the money is there any reason for a decision like this? Regarding the financial opportunity for the artists, even though I know very little about Bleach and the like, isn't it because of the fact these series last forever that they've decreased in popularity (which I suppose would cause a loss of profits on the long run as opposed to if they had ended the series earlier)? Don't want t complain too much, I'm just legitimately curious.

KtSlime

One Piece has been going on for approximately 15 years, if there is really 15 more years left then wouldn't the majority of the fans be completely replaced countless times over the course of 30 years? Maybe I'm missing something, but apart from the money is there any reason for a decision like this? Regarding the financial opportunity for the artists, even though I know very little about Bleach and the like, isn't it because of the fact these series last forever that they've decreased in popularity (which I suppose would cause a loss of profits on the long run as opposed to if they had ended the series earlier)? Don't want t complain too much, I'm just legitimately curious.

While it is only anecdotal, most every one of my Japanese friends (males and females ages 18-35) reads or has read One Piece. Some do catch up, some keep up with the latest issue, and some just read while bored (manga are all around Japan in waiting rooms, cafes, salons, etc).

Who knows if the anime will last that long (probably will) but there are several well known manga series that are read well into adulthood, and One Piece is one of them.

Diablos54

One Piece is as big today and it's ever been, hell most likely bigger, and that's likely due to the fact that it has both an older audience who were around at the beginning, and a younger audience who are newcomers, and this will keep happening until OP ends.

And yes, normally being so old would mean it would decline, but OP is so good it doesn't seem to be effected by age.

And as for why it's so long, Oda gets carried away a little and keeps adding things, I doubt he thought 15 years ago he's only be at most, 2/3's through.

Alabasta third best arc, terrible that it takes close to 100 episodes from there for the anime to get watchable again.

Moaradin

So is there any comprehensive list of filler that is decent/has canon material mixed with it, and filler that's bad and has a lot of inconsistencies with the story? I don't mind filler that's decent, but if it just plain contradicts important things then I rather not watch it.

I feel like if someone got all they way to the end of Alabasta and still wasn't invested in the series there would be no way they'd get though Skypiea to get to Water Seven/Enies Lobby.

And honestly, there's really no reason to watch that far if someone isn't enjoying it. I loved Water Seven / Enies but if I didn't like the show up until that point, I can't see one arc changing my mind over the entire 200+ episodes up until that point.

So is there any comprehensive list of filler that is decent/has canon material mixed with it, and filler that's bad and has a lot of inconsistencies with the story? I don't mind filler that's decent, but if it just plain contradicts important things then I rather not watch it.

The main contradiction people bring up is a comment from Zoro about cutting steal during the Apis arc. I personally don't think it's a big enough reason to skip that filler though. There is some fun stuff in it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
But the concept of Haki was introduced in like, the very first chapter of the manga with Shanks giving the death glare to the sea monster.

Retroactively it was. And anyway, we're talking about armament haki, which definitely wasn't shown before that.

Good filler: G-8

Useless filler: Everything else

Most of the filler arcs are completely separate from the canon but a few (Apis, pre-Water seven, mid-Alabasta) are mixed in with a couple canon scenes, annoyingly enough. Only the very early filler (Apis, mid-Alabasta) have inconsistencies with the story.

Wiseblade

"Gee, I wish there were two episodes based off of Buggy's side story placed right before Loguetown."

^said by no one ever.

You and I both know the anime would be far better if it adapted the "where are they now" cover stories instead of pumping out filler or using the glacial one chapter per episode pacing.

BatDan

"Gee, I wish there were two episodes based off of Buggy's side story placed right before Loguetown."

^said by no one ever.

You do realize that happened in the manga right? The first cover story, along with the two-episode mini-arc with Coby & Helmeppo.
I guess they weren't popular, which is why the other cover stories weren't animated. A shame since some of them do explain things that happen later on. Like why Jango is in the Marines, how Hatchan managed to escape and start a Takoyaki shop with Camie, and how four members of Baroque Works ended up in Impel Down. There's also Wapol's story that introduces Wapometal, which Franky uses on General Franky. But that isn't too important.

A couple don't really matter (Ace's and Gedatsu's stories) and others look like they'll eventually have a purpose (Eneru's and CP9's).

Raxus

You do realize that happened in the manga right? The first cover story, along with the two-episode mini-arc with Coby & Helmeppo.
I guess they weren't popular, which is why the other cover stories weren't animated. A shame since some of them do explain things that happen later on. Like why Jango is in the Marines, how Hatchan managed to escape and start a Takoyaki shop with Camie, and how four members of Baroque Works ended up in Impel Down. There's also Wapol's story that introduces Wapometal, which Franky uses on General Franky. But that isn't too important.

A couple don't really matter (Ace's and Gedatsu's stories) and others look like they'll eventually have a purpose (Eneru's and CP9's).

I know Eneru
winds up on the moon
but what happens to CP9?

I took a long break with the manga until Impel Down and Marine Ford.

Also, Skypeia only seems like filler at first but a ton of it pays off in the long run. Dials, ponyglyph, first intro of observation Haki I recall and probably some other stuff I can't remember. Most importantly the arc establishes Robin in the crew and without it you lose the impact of Water 7/Enies.

^said by no one ever.

I liked it, plus it's important from a story point of view, otherwise both captains showing up together at loguetown feels random.

Also Cody & Helmeppo's one is brilliant. I wish they kept doing them, I really wanted to see Enel's one animated.

I know Eneru
winds up on the moon
but what happens to CP9?

Spandam blames them for losing and they go on the run from the WG.

I actually loved the Skypeia arc. Especially everything Enel, Jaya & Norland's story.

i'm at 630-ish in the manga spoiler

i don't really like the underwater fish arc thingy, hope this ends quickly and we can get in to the new world. will important stuff happen soon or will it be slower again after the crazy shit that went down before the time jump

BatDan

I know Eneru
winds up on the moon
but what happens to CP9?

I took a long break with the manga until Impel Down and Marine Ford.

Also, Skypeia only seems like filler at first but a ton of it pays off in the long run. Dials, ponyglyph, first intro of observation Haki I recall and probably some other stuff I can't remember. Most importantly the arc establishes Robin in the crew and without it you lose the impact of Water 7/Enies.

After recovering from their defeat (Lucci got the worst of it), they travel back to their homeland where children are trained to be future Cipher Pol agents. The Marines show up to capture them, after Spandam threw them under the bus and blamed latest mission's failure on them. Not wanting their homeland disturbed, they defeat the Marines. Lucci calls Spandam and tells him they will one day return and likely kill him. They steal a Marine ship and sail off into the sunset.

In the most recent arc, Punk Hazard, a bunch of shadowed figures are seen watching the big bad's Transponder Snail broadcast of his newest weapon. One of the figures resembles Lucci, though it's not confirmed.

And yes, Skypiea is far more important in hindsight. Mantra is Observation Haki, Rayleigh even notes that people in Skypiea call it that when he teaches it to Luffy. The events leading to their new ship wouldn't really happen if they didn't take all that gold. They wouldn't have the money, it wouldn't have gotten stolen by Franky, he wouldn't have bought wood from the Treasure Tree Adam, and Sunny wouldn't exist.
Also,
Robin sees the name of ancient weapons when looking at the Poneglyph. One of them is Poseidon. At the end of the Fishman Island arc, we learn the Mermaid Princess Shirahoshi is Poseidon.

Top Bottom