• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Mikey Jr.

One thing I've always wanted to know about devil fruit users and water.

Like, if they took a bath, they would get weak? What about if they were on the beach, and they stepped into the shallow water. What would happen? What about pool water? Or is it sea water only? What about if I took sea water and splashed it on them?

The whole water thing and devil fruits still confuses me.

Mikey Jr. said:

Like, if they took a bath, they would get weak? What about if they were on the beach, and they stepped into the shallow water. What would happen? What about pool water? Or is it sea water only? What about if I took sea water and splashed it on them?

Oda mentioned somewhere that DF users are affected by bodies of water, not moving water. They wouldn't get weak if they were rained on for instance, but if you dropped them in a pool, they would. Also, it only affects the parts of the body submerged in the water.

robox

Mikey Jr. said:

they're affected by sea water. fresh water seems ok.
and affected by the "sea water stone"

Maron

sweetwasabi said:
I'm like really far from the current episode(like episode 100), but Holy Shit at the gifs :lol :lol :lol , Can't wait to catch up

I think what may a good idea would be to occaisonally alternate between the manga and the anime while trying to catch up (that's what I did). For example, I've never really watched Alabasta animated (and I won't until the uncut DVDs come out) but I found out that that was a good move since the anime drags it out (they've also done this in another recent arc, but you're nowhere near that yet). Also, skipping filler arcs isn't a bad idea.

Johnlenham said:
Just watched it, what if buggy joins instead of hancock?:lol

The love you bit cracked me up aswell.

I think Buggy's ego is too big for him to want to join.

I thought I remember Oda saying the person's body has to be submerged at least half-way for them to be affected mentioning normal baths wouldn't work.

But anyway, just saw the episode (yeah I know I'm late) Buggy and Hancock are awesome, why can't they BOTH join? ^.^

Oh and while waiting for the next episode, you guys HAVE to check this out. I'm seriously floored by how amazing it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhbehkVC2UU

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
r - b - x said:
they're affected by sea water. fresh water seems ok.
and affected by the "sea water stone"
Nope. Both fresh water and salt water will affect them. The only thing that matters is whether the water is standing or moving, as watervengeance mentioned.

Maron

DeathNote said:
gawdamn. 400+ eps?

Should I start at 1:1 and go through? I know nothing about this anime/manga.

As long as you try to just relax and enjoy the manga (or anime, but that'll take longer) and sticking with it , you should be fine. Your mileage may vary on the earlier arcs of the series though, although I personally enjoyed it right from the start, I'll admit the story didn't jump into high gear until the Arlong arc.

Hey guys, I moved to Japan about 5 weeks ago, and this is my favorite show on TV. I had read the manga, but never watched the show. It's a great supplement to the manga, I think.

robox

grandjedi6 said:
Nope. Both fresh water and salt water will affect them. The only thing that matters is whether the water is standing or moving, as watervengeance mentioned.

does that mean you can win if you turn a hose on them?
does that mean they can survive the calm belt?

r - b - x said:
does that mean you can win if you turn a hose on them?
does that mean they can survive the calm belt?

The hose would not affect them, because it's moving water. The calm belt would, because it's standing water.

LaneDS

Rewatching the series from it's start with the roommate, and I have to say... I really think the look of the series peaked around Water 7. The newer episodes (from Thriller Bark onwards) just seem like they're being made with less love and care than some of the earlier ones. Can't really put my finger on it, but I just feel the visuals aren't quite as good.

Anyone else feel that way?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Anth0ny said:
I've seen the fucking Cover Girl ad and the first second of the episode 7 times. It will not go past 00:01.
I downloaded Opera and it seems to work fine in that browser. IE and Firefox don't work for some reason.

As far as the episode itself, it was great. The part where Buggy got his head chopped off while his body fell got more laughs outta me than anything else in OP so far. :lol

Anth0ny

2q30kuw.png

nvm, old.

But the screencap is nice :D

LaneDS

What's the best option after K-F, which has subbed up to episode 261 as of today? I looked at ADC Elites but some of their episodes don't have a single seed on them anymore. Any suggestions?

LaneDS said:
Rewatching the series from it's start with the roommate, and I have to say... I really think the look of the series peaked around Water 7. The newer episodes (from Thriller Bark onwards) just seem like they're being made with less love and care than some of the earlier ones. Can't really put my finger on it, but I just feel the visuals aren't quite as good.

Anyone else feel that way?

I do. Especially Amazon Lily. It feels way off. It seems to be getting better now that we're in the next arc but Water 7 / Enies Lobby were awesome except for a few.

Anth0ny

So, after the shit fest that was last week's episode, I just watched 425 perfectly with no ads. How does that work?

-Great episode. I liked the new animation on Mr.3's flash back. I'm really happy that they aren't half assing them... seeing old stuff in HD is cool.
-Magellen's voice is good.
-As soon as Sengoku popped up, I knew there was going to be a segway into the movie tie in episodes (No one's ever broken out of Impel Down, OWAIT).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Anth0ny said:
So, after the shit fest that was last week's episode, I just watched 425 perfectly with no ads. How does that work?
Funimation turned off all the ads on the videos because of the problems it was causing. They'll undoubtably come back, but hopefully after Funimation fixes all the errors.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Great episode.

I'm a tad disappointed that Magellan's skin color was flesh and looked more human. Thought he'd have a greenish tinge to go with his poison thing.

Twig

Banned
Entropia said:
Great episode.

I'm a tad disappointed that Magellan's skin color was flesh and looked more human. Thought he'd have a greenish tinge to go with his poison thing.
I thought it'd be more purplish, but yeah.

LaneDS

Anyone know where I can find episodes 295 onward? Vegapunk's tracker has been down for months and my roommate is now stuck in the final few episodes of Enies Lobby without any way to see the resolution (which is painful even for me, who has seen all of it already).

Mikey Jr.

LaneDS said:
Anyone know where I can find episodes 295 onward? Vegapunk's tracker has been down for months and my roommate is now stuck in the final few episodes of Enies Lobby without any way to see the resolution (which is painful even for me, who has seen all of it already).

Megavideo

Search: One Piece 295

Quality isn't bad and most of them should be subbed on there. Can't download them though.

Is anyone else starting to get pist off at the fact that they play commercials in the middle of the show?

What makes it worse is that it's the same commercial too. How many times do I have to see a child wish his soldier father a Christmas present?

Firestorm

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is anyone else starting to get pist off at the fact that they play commercials in the middle of the show?

What makes it worse is that it's the same commercial too. How many times do I have to see a child wish his soldier father a Christmas present?
I've never got that. It's always Cover Girl. I'd be fine with three commercial breaks but it happens at weird times. It should just be between OP and episode, between the two splits, and one at the end before showing a preview.

Firestorm said:
I've never got that. It's always Cover Girl. I'd be fine with three commercial breaks but it happens at weird times. It should just be between OP and episode, between the two splits, and one at the end before showing a preview.

Exactly.

And wait. Walmart? Covergirl? How do these things appeal to One Piece's target market? One commercial is conservative and depicts a retailer that I'm sure most anime fans shun and the other obviously targets women.

Top Bottom