• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Entropia

No One Remembers
Mikey Jr. said:
I still haven't warmed up to Franky and Brook as Straw Hats. I'm not sure why. Like, if Oda got rid of them, I wouldn't care. I don't really hate their characters, but to me they don't really fit with the crew. What do you guys think?

Also, Opening 6 is the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xr36cysodg&fmt=18

Brook I could careless about, but Franky made their ship! So he's somewhat an integral part to the crew. :p

Also wasn't opening 6 only used for like 10-15 epsiodes?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mikey Jr. said:
I still haven't warmed up to Franky and Brook as Straw Hats. I'm not sure why. Like, if Oda got rid of them, I wouldn't care. I don't really hate their characters, but to me they don't really fit with the crew. What do you guys think?

Well lemme preface this by saying that, Franky was fine with me because seeing Luffy's drawing seemingly come to life was both a funny and eerie coincidence.

I feel as an anime watcher only, that Brook is there as comic relief. Which is fine, while Franky I personally, really, enjoyed the turn around with him. At first he came off like a jerk. But then they showed his past and what he had been through and I just couldn't hate the guy for being what he was up until that point.

Now I'm not saying that Brook is bad but Franky actually brings something to the table as shipwright (which is a big deal, he did build Thousand Sunny, afterall.) The issue with Brook is that he seemingly only serves as a connection to Laboon. Which was a nice connection, but, that's about it. I mean sure it's great that they have a musician and he can be funny, but he isn't quite there yet. I say that all the while still liking Brook, I just want to see some expansion on his part.

I also want to say that, the only reason I watch the anime and refuse to read the manga is because, if I knew and could spot the differences, I'd probably freak out if the anime or the manga did an area better.

As for the OP 6, I have to admit after about the 10th time I had to skip it, or else Hashiridase would be stuck in my head forever. :lol

Stage On

Mikey Jr. said:

Dude how can you NOT like a Coke drinking Cybrog and a preverted afro skelton? Brook is so wacky that he's just plain awsome!

The first opening I ever really liked was the bon voyage one during Skypea. Before that I always just sort of skipped them. I'm tired of the current one but that's just because I always watched the whole thing each time. :lol

This one.

Himuro said:
Bon Voyage is good.

The best thing about Bon Voyage is the final image, which owns. I wish there were a hi res version of that image, without the text. :(

Hmm, that's good but I find the best part of it the small snippets of each crew member's backstory! I just LOVE that part of it.

Oh and the image is in on of the Color Walks, the art books Oda does so you should be able to "find" it...

LaneDS

VGChampion said:
Wow. I want a full version with video linking them all now. I like the Binks Sake segment towards the end.

Or Sogeking's theme mixed in the middle.

Great video, for sure.

The new opening doesn't fit but I rather hear this then the freaking J-pop from the previous one. The previous man makes me want to gauge my eyes out.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ballistictiger said:
The new opening doesn't fit but I rather hear this then the freaking J-pop from the previous one. The previous man makes me want to gauge my eyes out.
Technically it was K-pop.

LaneDS

The new OP has grown on me after watching it a couple more times. I don't like it per se, but I don't hate it as much as I did initially. And the events shown are great (sad that we won't see that stuff for probably many months though).

Someone needs to Gif Boss picking up Ussop, though im not sure it would be the same withought the "ooohh-- ohh--- ohh ---ohh noooooooo" :lol

Maron

Entropia said:
After listening to it a few times, without knowing what the translated lyrics are it's not that bad. :lol

Some of the ending themes were really weird, like the last two I think. Talk about depressing.

Good Ending Themes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Q7Ru7-29w (A to Z, ending 11)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42bQnQVkKz4 (Watashi no iru yo, ending 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hccHZ2-KiY (Faith, ending 10)

How was Adventure World weird? It sounded very nice to me.

Maron

Entropia said:
The 2nd half of the opening was good because it showed actual content.

(WTF Ivanka has blue hair??)

But uh, the song just doesn't have that adventurous feeling previous OP songs have had. :|

Impel Down and Marineford aren't really lighthearted adventurous arcs...

Lirlond

I like it, as we all know, this portion of the story has Luffy away from the strawhats for an extended period of time.

Its nice to have the opening remind us that the crew is a family, not to forget about the other members. It really captures the spirit of One Piece.

I'll admit, it's a bit /too/ lighthearted, especially considering what comes next, but it'll be needed down in Impel Down. You'll all grow to love it ;p

According to J-Cast, the official BBS of Toei Animation has been filled with hundreds of complaints against the new OP theme song of "One Piece". The audience resented that the new song was completely mismatched with the serious OP animation.

Toei Animation One Piece BBS

The new OP song "Kaze wo Sagashite" is a tie-up work with a TV quiz program "Quiz! Hexagon II" and the singers are idols and comedians. Toei Animation said it's usual to see such negative reactions when theme songs are switched. They don't plan to make any explanations to the audience and the new song is likely to be used for the next one year.

Source: J-Cast

Uh-oh.

They don't plan to make any explanations to the audience and the new song is likely to be used for the next one year.
Wait, what exactly does this mean. Someone tell me this doesn't mean what it sounds like.

Anth0ny

They don't plan to make any explanations to the audience and the new song is likely to be used for the next one year.

2uxw70i.gif

grandjedi6

watervengeance said:
According to J-Cast, the official BBS of Toei Animation has been filled with hundreds of complaints against the new OP theme song of "One Piece". The audience resented that the new song was completely mismatched with the serious OP animation.

Toei Animation One Piece BBS

The new OP song "Kaze wo Sagashite" is a tie-up work with a TV quiz program "Quiz! Hexagon II" and the singers are idols and comedians. Toei Animation said it's usual to see such negative reactions when theme songs are switched. They don't plan to make any explanations to the audience and the new song is likely to be used for the next one year.

Source: J-Cast
Uh-oh.
Japan's soooo pissed :lol

Oh course I can't blame them. According to Greg @ apforums this opening song is the type to be used in little kid shows, ie Sesame Street. Or in other words: Japan got 4kids' rap'd :lol

Oh an apparently the "1 year" comment was just speculation from J-cast and Toei didn't actually say anything like that. Phew!

louis89

When does One Piece become widescreen/HD?

I'm watching from the beginning, I'm about half way through season 1 so far. Currently it's SD and 4:3. When's the first widescreen episode, and when's the first HD episode (if there is one)?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
louis89 said:

I'm watching from the beginning, I'm about half way through season 1 so far. Currently it's SD and 4:3. When's the first widescreen episode, and when's the first HD episode (if there is one)?
IIRC, Around Water 7, is when it goes HD, I could of course be wrong.

louis89

Sorry, should've said - I'm new to the show and watching for the first time, so that doesn't mean anything to me. >__>

Do you know about what episode number or season that is?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
louis89 said:
Sorry, should've said - I'm new to the show and watching for the first time, so that doesn't mean anything to me. >__>

Sorry, sometime around episode 227.

Again I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The last episode of One Piece I saw was something like episode 330 or 340. I'm hoping to get caught up and I see Funimation has streaming subtitled episodes starting at 391 (MAJOR kudos to them for that).

Can anyone direct me to a group that subbed ~340-390, so I can DL those and begin getting caught up? I'll switch to Funi once I hit the eps they've started doing.

grandjedi6

louis89 said:

Episode 207 starts both widescreen and HD. Its also the beginning of both the Davy Back Fight arc and the 5th opening.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GDJustin said:
The last episode of One Piece I saw was something like episode 330 or 340. I'm hoping to get caught up and I see Funimation has streaming subtitled episodes starting at 391 (MAJOR kudos to them for that).

Can anyone direct me to a group that subbed ~340-390, so I can DL those and begin getting caught up? I'll switch to Funi once I hit the eps they've started doing.
Afaik Instantz was the only one that did 340-380 and after that I'd recommend Yibis, cause around that area there quality(Instantz) started to decline IMO.
grandjedi6 said:
Episode 207 starts both widescreen and HD. Its also the beginning of both the Davy Back Fight arc and the 5th opening.
I was close.

grandjedi6

Shit story, shit pacing, shit animation, shit episode.

Blech. And its totally unbelievable that Luffy, Zoro and Sanji would have difficulty with these pirates. Boo @ jobbering the main characters just to increase the dramatic tension about a girl and her beetle who the audience doesn't give a crap about.

Zel3

I knew this arc was going to suck since that little girl got introduced.

I almost stopped watching the episode when it was revealed she hated pirates, such a overused plotline already.

Zel3 said:
I knew this arc was going to suck since that little girl got introduced.

I almost stopped watching the episode when it was revealed she hated pirates, such a overused plotline already.

It'd almost make you think pirates are evil villainous scum or something. :lol

Belfast

#1 way to shit up One Piece (or anything really): Add a little kid with a problem! Bonus if he/she is an orphan! Usually found in filler and/or One Piece movies!

It's a shame they didn't let Franky or Brooke get in on the action. They already have less screentime than the earlier crew members, so why not let them fight?

Would've been more believable if the net guy had beaten them instead.

neoanarch

I had a good laugh when the giant beetle shed its skin and it still had the Marine symbol. Especially since the flashbacks showed the little girl painted it on there.

Twig

Banned
watervengeance said:
It's a shame they didn't let Franky or Brooke get in on the action. They already have less screentime than the earlier crew members, so why not let them fight?

yeah, lol zoro

I was optimistic for it at first 'cause usually OP filler ain't too bad but this...

Firestorm

I kinda like this arc except for that part where they somehow got caught in that dude's stupid trap. But that's probably because I'm a nostalgia whore and that Little East Blue thing just makes me happy.

louis89 said:

Just remember that this show started airing in 1999 or so. It takes a while.

Twig

Banned
Firestorm said:
But that's probably because I'm a nostalgia whore and that Little East Blue thing just makes me happy.
It made me happy, too. A lot, actually, I really liked it.

But the story that goes along with it is, so far, shit. ):

grandjedi6

watervengeance said:

The "best" part was when Luffy torn open his netting slightly at the end so he could punch the beetle away. Despite the fact his arms were always hanging through the net and his tear didn't change anything in that regard. In fact, since their limbs were hanging out, there was no reason why Luffy & Zoro couldn't have been attacking the bad guys instead of just sitting there as the villagers got attacked.

I mean, what advantage does the bad guys even have? An ability to make nets so weak that even a fire that couldn't burn clothing can vaporize it? Hell, even Nami and Ussop could have taken them easily had they decided to do something other than gawk.

I had hoped Toei had gotten better at making fillers over the years but they're apparently just as bad as they always were. Sure, they get how to do all the individual pieces -- tearful emotions, determination scenes, slow-down, ect. -- but they completely fall apart when it comes to putting it all together. As seen in this episode where they pull out all of their "emotional scene" tricks for the girl & her beetle without bothering to justify any of it first.

Not bothered to watch it yet mostly due to the responses :lol so whats this got to do with shiki (sp) the beetle is one he controlled and its got away or something? Kinda sucks we wont see the film for ages :/

grandjedi6 said:
The "best" part was when Luffy torn open his netting slightly at the end so he could punch the beetle away. Despite the fact his arms were always hanging through the net and his tear didn't change anything in that regard. In fact, since their limbs were hanging out, there was no reason why Luffy & Zoro couldn't have been attacking the bad guys instead of just sitting there as the villagers got attacked.

I mean, what advantage does the bad guys even have? An ability to make nets so weak that even a fire that couldn't burn clothing can vaporize it? Hell, even Nami and Ussop could have taken them easily had they decided to do something other than gawk.

I had hoped Toei had gotten better at making fillers over the years but they're apparently just as bad as they always were. Sure, they get how to do all the individual pieces -- tearful emotions, determination scenes, slow-down, ect. -- but they completely fall apart when it comes to putting it all together. As seen in this episode where they pull out all of their "emotional scene" tricks for the girl & her beetle without bothering to justify any of it first.

Pretty much nailed it.

I mean couldn't Luffy just do Gear 3 and break the "net"?

Top Bottom