• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Big One

Banned
Lol you should've seen people's reactions when this happen in the manga. It was so out of the blue but awesome at the same time. Will be watching this later cause I want to see it animated.

Hira Hira no Mi actually not so impressive irl.

Dxc0ab9.gif

Does anyone has any idea how long this dressrosa arc will still last? Has been saving around 30 episodes already (One Piece is so much better as a binge watch) and thought that I will hold One Piece marathon when the arc is done. Is the arc even done in manga yet?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Does anyone has any idea how long this dressrosa arc will still last? Has been saving around 30 episodes already (One Piece is so much better as a binge watch) and thought that I will hold One Piece marathon when the arc is done. Is the arc even done in manga yet?

It finished up in the manga.
The latest episode covered Chapter 776. Dressrosa ends around Chapter 800.
There's still quite a bit to cover.

It finished up in the manga.
The latest episode covered Chapter 776. Dressrosa ends around Chapter 800.
There's still quite a bit to cover.

So basically something like July 2016. Has this been the longest story arc yet? At least the longest within the same place.

I hope after this Oda will do a few smaller plots. I miss the island hopping with more focus on the crew shenanigans. Especially now that half of them are MIA.

Nightbird

So basically something like July 2016. Has this been the longest story arc yet? At least the longest within the same place.

I hope after this Oda will do a few smaller plots. I miss the island hopping with more focus on the crew shenanigans. Especially now that half of them are MIA.

It has certainly been the longest Arc in the Manga yet.

1/8th of the entire One Piece Manga took place on Dressrosa alone.

It has certainly been the longest Arc in the Manga yet.

1/8th of the entire One Piece Manga took place on Dressrosa alone.

True, it's interesting when you look at it like that, but through the history of OP, long arcs have always been a significant portion of the length as a whole.

At the time, the Alabasta arc was 35% of OP's entire story, and Skypiea was 20% of the story at the time.

Cwarrior

Two really awesome episode in a row which no suprise when you have top class directors all up in your line up, plus good material to work with.

I expect tonights episode too be good aswell.

jbug617

Banned
Via ANN

Gvnl2pv.jpg

One Piece will get a TV anime special on December 19 titled One Piece ~Adventure of Nevlandia~. The special will be the anime's first winter special.

The special with a completely original story will take place on a "Devil Fruit blocking" fog island in the New World that keeps Devil Fruit users from being able to use their powers. The Straw Hat crew find themselves in a desperate crisis on the island. The crew will also again meet and have a rematch with the Foxy Pirates from the Davy Back Fight arc. Foxy now has three new subordinates: Dōjack, Kanshō, and Kōmei, the latter of whom is a genius tactician.

https://t.co/zhcgTu3azC

Cwarrior

Via ANN

Gvnl2pv.jpg

Kônosuke Uda (One Piece episodes 1-278, One Piece: Dead End, One Piece: Mega Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle) will direct the special

Konosuke uda also directed Galaxy Express 999: Eternal Fantasy,lovely complex,Ginga e Kickoff!, Niji-Iro Hotaru ~Eien no Natsu Yasumi~ movie and majine bone.

Interesting the original one piece serise director is returning to direct this.

Love konosuke uda directing very excited to see him on one piece again and also interested to see which animation directing his going to be teamed up with.

Squishy3

Brook and Chopper aside. Wouldn't Sanji and Zoro just body everyone and arc over?
Luffy can probably body people even without his Devil Fruit. He's still got Armament Haki, Observation Haki and Conquerer's Haki.

Unless the fog conveniently removes Haki too.

When is that supposed to happen in the timeline or is that special not even anime-canon?

(I guess they could put it before Punk Hazard like the Movie Z?)

BatDan

I swear they used that shot of Pica's foot like five times.

Next week should be hype though
Zoro totally goes RULES OF NATURE on Pica

Zolo

Yeah. The pacing is essentially 1:1 with the manga chapters (18 pages to a 18-23 minute episode). I guess that's what happens when you go on for this long, don't take breaks, and don't have fillers.

Squishy3

naruto is the only other anime I can compare this shitty pacing to, but the latest OP episode breaks records with its shittiness
It could be worse, at least the plot is progressing at a glacial pace. In Naruto the plot is progressing at an even more glacial pace and they haven't gone back to the main plot for any significant amount of time. THE MANGA IT'S ADAPTING IS FINISHED. Like, seriously.

CSzEAybU8AAXgmZ.jpg

BatDan

It could be worse, at least the plot is progressing at a glacial pace. In Naruto the plot is progressing at an even more glacial pace and they haven't gone back to the main plot for any significant amount of time. THE MANGA IT'S ADAPTING IS FINISHED. Like, seriously.

CSzEAybU8AAXgmZ.jpg

I heard about this last night during Toonami.
Pierrot are severely milking the Infinite Tsukiomi dreams. Something that was 1 or 2 panels in the manga and making mini-arcs out of them.

Can you imagine what Toei will attempt when One Piece gets close to the end?

I heard about this last night during Toonami.
Pierrot are severely milking the Infinite Tsukiomi dreams. Something that was 1 or 2 panels in the manga and making mini-arcs out of them.

Can you imagine what Toei will attempt when One Piece gets close to the end?

I would be actually happy with long filler arc in One Piece if it would allow faster than 1 chapter per episode pace for canon material.

BatDan

I would be actually happy with long filler arc in One Piece if it would allow faster than 1 chapter per episode pace for canon material.

I can see a substantial filler arc happening after Dressrosa ends. It will allow Oda to work at his own (company-mandated) pace, and the
the ending of Dressrosa provides some interesting opportunities for filler

I can see a substantial filler arc happening after Dressrosa ends. It will allow Oda to work at his own (company-mandated) pace, and the
the ending of Dressrosa provides some interesting opportunities for filler

I really can't see it, especially since they probably want to get the other half of the crew back in

Soriku

CSzEAybU8AAXgmZ.jpg

Dear lord

If they would finally animate and flesh out the remaining manga cover arcs (in some sort of flashback :p), that could be great "filler" that lasts for a while...

They generally avoid that because episodes without the Strawhats get less viewers.
Yeah I know it's unrealistic to hope for it. Though I think the times have also changed a bit and OP is now simply too big for people not to tune it.

I guess my reasoning is: more content = more episodes than what the manga allows for, even if they have fewer viewers that's better than none. But then I realized they will not just do fewer episodes (w/o the cover arcs) but stretch the strawhats arcs out even longer :p

Top Bottom