• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
spiderman123 said:
I lol'd this week eps all the way hahahaha

One Piece is the one show that manages to consistently and genuinely crack me up. I love it.

[Edit] Oh shit I was laughing about how dumb the ASL flag is for English people then I remembered Ace's dumb tattoo that never made sense and now I am EXTRAPOLATING THINGS OH SHIIIIII (manga-readers shut up pls)

smurfx

get some go again
wait a minute is one piece going into filler hell or something? the ace flashback was nice and now they are going to ruin it with pointless filler.

Raxus

smurfx said:
wait a minute is one piece going into filler hell or something? the ace flashback was nice and now they are going to ruin it with pointless filler.
This is good and bad news. We are about to hit the
time skip
so why not drag out the Ace and Sabo backstory and how Luffy trained until they are ready to do the Fishman Island Arc.

smurfx

get some go again
Raxus said:
This is good and bad news. We are about to hit the
time skip
so why not drag out the Ace and Sabo backstory and how Luffy trained until they are ready to do the Fishman Island Arc.
there is no need for filler. they are forever going to do 1 chapter per episode so i don't see why they need filler.

smurfx said:
there is no need for filler. they are forever going to do 1 chapter per episode so i don't see why they need filler.

Yah agree I'm beginning to hate this one chapter per eps crap. No need for fillers if they do it.

I heard on the unofficial OP podcast that Oda is only half way done with the Manga! Isnt that fucking marvelous? Ill be 40 before the manga ends.

smurfx

get some go again
Dedication Through Light said:
Of all the times for the site to go down, guess I will rewatch Bleach. After reading the one piece chapters for this flashback, I was ready to see it animated.

tumblr_lkixcvYi851qbxqfpo1_500.png

I wonder what theyre planning
hmm do not want if this means even more breaks for one piece.

Steroyd

spiderman123 said:
Yah agree I'm beginning to hate this one chapter per eps crap. No need for fillers if they do it.

This post confuses me, surely any resentment to the 1 chapter per ep is negated by there being no filler arcs.

smurfx

get some go again
Stat Flow said:
Yes. If you don't follow the manga, you'll see why this makes sense soon.
the second half of the story can be even longer than the past ten years. luffy has to become pirate king and then the whole situation with the world government has to be resolved. if that resolution includes a huge war then damn its going to take a really long time. plus with oda taking breaks every 3 weeks now its going to take a long time for this story to conclude.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
smurfx said:
plus with oda taking breaks every 3 weeks now its going to take a long time for this story to conclude.

Wait...what? When did this go into effect? Or have I just not noticed it?

smurfx

get some go again
Dedication Through Light said:
Didnt he take a 1 month break, and then upon coming back took a week off within three weeks?
it may not be exactly every three weeks but that is usually when he takes breaks. when he got back from the 1 month break he didn't take a break the 1st month back i believe. during the making of strong world is when he started taking more regular breaks.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Uchip said:
so does everyone agree that strong world was the best movie?

Taken by itself, it's in the middle of the pack. However, given the hype they built up for it, it slips to one of the worst. Keep Oda focused on the manga and away from the movies because this one sucked.

smurfx

get some go again
i didn't really like strong world all that much. oda should have went with his original story instead of what strong world ended up being.

Im still waiting for Strong World to come, I wish these companies would do like Funimation and bring out the movies, still agitated that, like Naruto, we are missing recent One Piece movies, especially SW.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Strong World sucked, it ruined Impel Down. "No one has ever escaped Impel Down, except for that one time Golden Lion Shiki!" Fuck that noise.

smurfx

get some go again
Plywood said:
Strong World sucked, it ruined Impel Down. "No one has ever escaped Impel Down, except for that one time Golden Lion Shiki!" Fuck that noise.
he wasn't even that strong. if he could hang with roger then how the hell would luffy be able to beat him? you can't use that age excuse because rayleigh is still a beast even after retiring for all those years. shiki escaping impel down is bullcrap.

smurfx said:
he wasn't even that strong. if he could hang with roger then how the hell would luffy be able to beat him? you can't use that age excuse because rayleigh is still a beast even after retiring for all those years. shiki escaping impel down is bullcrap.

I agree, Luffy ended up beating him down pretty easily. I could understand him escaping if he was much stronger and Luffy had a really tough time, but they ended up portraying him as pretty weak overall :/

That was a terrible episode. The only nice thing was disclosure to Luffy on Ace being Roger's son, but otherwise, it was great to get the plot moving with Sabo in the last 30 secs. I honestly cant wait for the flashback arc's climax and resolution.

Kintaro said:
Taken by itself, it's in the middle of the pack. However, given the hype they built up for it, it slips to one of the worst. Keep Oda focused on the manga and away from the movies because this one sucked.

I think it was the second best, after the second movie...all the other movies are lame. I doubt Oda had that much input in this one..

In the film Shiki power was actually pretty broken, so it seemed a little bit like plot armor when he got taken out...still luffy had to pull a custom move out of the bag.

Really, none of the movies apart from the second are particularly good.

Which one was the second? It's been so long since I've seen them I don't even remember what I liked. I think I did enjoy one where they went to a pirate town and entered into a big race that started out in the town.

upandaway

Crakatak187 said:
I rather have fillers at this rate. At least I don't have to watch it unlike these episodes where I have to pad through the added crap.
There was still real content this episode (mostly in the last two minutes but though).

upandaway said:
Just saw the episode.

They're overdoing it. The padding was fine before, but this is pushing it.

Id rather they remove it and quickly speed through to getting our favorite strawhats back involved in the plot. Every since watching One Piece, Ive still not seen a single episode with them altogether. (even in starting from episode 1, its taking so long for everyone to join, need to look to see if the dub is even that far with everyone together)

Then again waiting as long as possible to get to the current drab arc in the manga would be ideal, as its gonna be painful to watch.

Kaizer

Banned
With flashback episodes in just about any anime I tend to lose interest after 2 or 3 episodes and One Piece is no different. I totally understand why they're padding and stretching it out though, but I didn't even watch the past two episodes, I'm ready to move on.

zlatko

Banned
I really liked the ending to this weeks episode. I hope we are in the final 3 of this arc though... I miss me some Zoro.

I figure what's left is:
Next Episode Sabo is captured/taken back
Big Fight to save him
Some shit and stuff on where Sabo is now
Back to the present

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
zlatko said:
I really liked the ending to this weeks episode. I hope we are in the final 3 of this arc though... I miss me some Zoro.

I figure what's left is:
Next Episode Sabo is captured/taken back
Big Fight to save him
Some shit and stuff on where Sabo is now
Back to the present

I don't expect a return to the present for at least another two episode, most likely three.

upandaway

I didn't watch the episode yet, but are they done with that filler? If so, I think we might have 3-4 episodes left.

No, scratch that, I don't think we'll get less than 4. What's the point of adding filler if they go ahead and blitz the rest of the flashback?

Raxus

The thing I hate most about these flashbacks is the manga is also in the middle of a long flash back as well. Completely killing the pacing with drawn out background stories.

Raxus said:
The thing I hate most about these flashbacks is the manga is also in the middle of a long flash back as well. Completely killing the pacing with drawn out background stories.
You don't need to look at them as background stories. Just stories. If you don't like them that's another issue.

Plywood said:

I didn't mind that he escaped, considering he was able to hang with Garp and Roger, but the movie making him weak enough that Luffy could beat him was a problem for me. A BIG problem

Raxus said:

this times a million. Seriously, the manga is 600+ pages long, do we realllly need flash backs not pertaining to the story or following the manga.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:
I didn't watch the episode yet, but are they done with that filler? If so, I think we might have 3-4 episodes left.

No, scratch that, I don't think we'll get less than 4. What's the point of adding filler if they go ahead and blitz the rest of the flashback?
Yes, we seem to be done with the filler now.

We should have about 4 episodes left, 5 at the absolute most, depending on how exactly they handle the transition back to the present day. Even with some slowed down pacing and added filler, they did more or less exactly half of the flashback arc in 4 episodes before these last 3 episodes of filler. The filler came at almost the exact midpoint of the arc.

Really hate the current filler comments in here, so far this flash-back has been more fun and interesting than all the endlessly padded and poorly paced Marineford episodes.

What was up with that animation when Ace fought Naguri, kind of reminiscent of Naruto level animations. Anyway, fun episode. I guess it filled in the void in the manga with explaining how they learned of pirates a bit. ASL vs the Tiger was phenomenal!

Top Bottom