• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Steroyd said:
Ah Naruto was Sabo, I was sure I recognised the voice just wasn't sure where ( hasn't watched the anime for months).

Didn't Ichigo voice Marco in the last arc to lol.

I laughed at Luffy's inability to lie.

Best part of the episode for me, so hilarious.

smurfx

get some go again
upandaway said:
Man the past two flashback episodes were awesome. They're really handling it well.
yeah i'm loving the flashback episodes right now. like them better than the manga chapters.

Steroyd said:
Ah Naruto was Sabo, I was sure I recognised the voice just wasn't sure where ( hasn't watched the anime for months).

Didn't Ichigo voice Marco in the last arc to lol.

I laughed at Luffy's inability to lie.

Ive been waiting for that scene forever!
tumblr_ljtckwEGWh1qdx0s9o1_500.jpg

This flashback is too good.

Anth0ny

Wow that is Naruto. I knew I recognized that voice.

Luffy's inability to lie is still funny. Porchemy's reaction was great.

Anth0ny

Okay everyone. It's clear that One Piece has been selling like shit in America, because FUNi hasn't renewed the show for another "season" (the final DVD release has ended with G8).

The most common complain I've heard is "the sets are too expensive". Well, here's your chance:

FUNi is putting out season sets. Episodes 1-26, July 26th, $26. That's a dollar an episode. You have no excuse now.

If you want DVDs (or Blurays) of the series, this may be our only chance for a long, long time.

Cwarrior

One piece 493
Nostalgia bomb Opening

had to listen the op like 10 times before watching the episode, find hard believe its really been 493 it doesn't feel like it, the part where ace pushes luffy is really sad:(

ep explain luffy every man for himself eating habit

Anth0ny said:
Okay everyone. It's clear that One Piece has been selling like shit in America, because FUNi hasn't renewed the show for another "season" (the final DVD release has ended with G8).

The most common complain I've heard is "the sets are too expensive". Well, here's your chance:

FUNi is putting out season sets. Episodes 1-26, July 26th, $26. That's a dollar an episode. You have no excuse now.

If you want DVDs (or Blurays) of the series, this may be our only chance for a long, long time.

lame as shit. gimme the first 400 eps for $200 max, then we'll talk.

That Naruto voice sure does wonders, it fits his character. I'm liking Sabo more because of it, beats the imaginary voice I had of him when I read the manga.

Uchip

Banned
Maron said:
You read the manga, you should know that
the Straw Hats have those same flashbacks to when they met Luffy right after his flashback to meeting Ace and Sabo ended. Plus there's the fact that this will likely be the last opening before the timeskip...

She's strange looking, but there's no way she's the 2nd weirdest looking character in OP.

the small one at the bottom right is like 10x as freaky looking

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
CSSer said:
Didn't get to post this because the simulcast website didn't update at the usual time, so I went to bed :D

One Piece - Ep 495 - I Won't Run! Ace's Desperate Rescue Operation!

One Piece - Ep 496 - Preview
That preview at least explains why both of the next two episode titles seem to come from the same manga chapter. Looks like
they're fleshing out Sabo's backstory in High Town much much more in the anime than they did at this point in the manga

Considering this episode was basically only half a chapter, I really enjoyed it.

MetatronM said:
That preview at least explains why both of the next two episode titles seem to come from the same manga chapter. Looks like
they're fleshing out Sabo's backstory in High Town much much more in the anime than they did at this point in the manga

Considering this episode was basically only half a chapter, I really enjoyed it.

Wow, do they usually slow the pace down that much, I guess were crawling towards the next arc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
Wow, do they usually slow the pace down that much, I guess were crawling towards the next arc.
To be fair, Oda did kind of blaze through parts of this arc in the manga. Much of the story of the boys and their bonding takes place over a couple of dialogue-less montages in these chapters. The whole scene with the gator and Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Fuusen in this episode, for example, came from literally one single panel (that had no dialogue). I don't think it's really a bad thing for them to take the time to turn those quick flashes of scenes into proper little vignettes to flesh out the boys' relationship and characterization.

That scene with Dadan finding them asleep was painful, though...

Trickster

Dedication Through Light said:

It's better than having them throw in a half year filler arc like they do from time to time in bleach wouldn't you say?

Anth0ny

Ace...Luffy...Huh?
Ace...Luffy...Huh?
Ace?Luffy?Huh?Ace?Luffy?Huh?Ace?Luffy?Huh?Ace?Luffy?Huh?Ace?Luffy?Huh?Ace?Luffy?Huh?

I really liked the episode. The animation was great, and it's been great for the entire flashback so far. Despite the fact that they're dragging it out, I think I'm enjoying the flashback more in the anime than the manga so far.

And we'll likely not have to deal with filler arcs after this flashback is done, considering how slow they're going to with this. That is a good thing.

I loved how Luffy was always sprinting to keep up with Ace and Sabo. Nice touch, anime dudes.

Is Funimation's website down for everyone? Can't watch this week's episode yet because of it.

Anyways, here's the cover for the One Piece Collection:
cjBWn.jpg

Easystride said:
Is Funimation's website down for everyone? Can't watch this week's episode yet because of it.

http://i.imgur.com/cjBWn.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

there is OP this week not subbed yet b/c I think its down as well

Of all the times for the site to go down, guess I will rewatch Bleach. After reading the one piece chapters for this flashback, I was ready to see it animated.

tumblr_lkixcvYi851qbxqfpo1_500.png

I wonder what theyre planning

Just watched the latest few episodes and I gotta say, is it me or is the animation getting better or something?

I remember being ..well, kinda bored through most of the war arc (despite loving it in the manga) yet this flashback seems much more fun to see animated as a whole. (and although I wasn't a hater, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as most of the war in the manga.)

Maybe it's the lack of meaningless Buggy/Mr.3 filler that makes me like it more.

Trickster said:
It's better than having them throw in a half year filler arc like they do from time to time in bleach wouldn't you say?

I'd rather a filler arc or two. I'd rather a better show in the long run than a slow show. Filler is annoying at the time but it's easy to skip if you want to go through the series again.

Maffis

Neoriceisgood said:
Just watched the latest few episodes and I gotta say, is it me or is the animation getting better or something?

I remember being ..well, kinda bored through most of the war arc (despite loving it in the manga) yet this flashback seems much more fun to see animated as a whole. (and although I wasn't a hater, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as most of the war in the manga.)

Maybe it's the lack of meaningless Buggy/Mr.3 filler that makes me like it more.

I have noticed that as well. I almost planned to stop watching during the war arc because of all the stupid buggy and mr.3 jokes, and the pretty dissapointing animation. But the animation has definitely gotten better now, and feels more like One Piece again.

upandaway

VGChampion said:
I'd rather a filler arc or two. I'd rather a better show in the long run than a slow show. Filler is annoying at the time but it's easy to skip if you want to go through the series again.
I'd much rather have the Luffy flashback in the form it is now, than a more manga-paced one compensated for by filler arcs. Sorry. I think it works incredibly well.

Steroyd

VGChampion said:

Problem with filler arcs is that they can slowly kill your drive to watch the series when the canon eventually starts, I didn't mean to stop watching Naruto. :(

Steroyd said:
Problem with filler arcs is that they can slowly kill your drive to watch the series when the canon eventually starts, I didn't mean to stop watching Naruto. :(

What do you mean it kills the drive? If one is a fan of a series why would they stop when non canon stuff appears? If anything a fan would want more, I would think, and keep watching for new story.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I wanted to marathon the show over the summer and I got excited hearing that it was online...

But the subs on Funimation's site goes from 1 to around 158 and then jumps to 389 basically. Any idea on when that gap will be filled?

Firestorm

Easystride said:
http://i.imgur.com/cjBWn.jpg
Damn that looks nice. Maybe I'll have to collect those as well as the manga :eek:
Watch Da Birdie said:
So, I wanted to marathon the show over the summer and I got excited hearing that it was online...

But the subs on Funimation's site goes from 1 to around 158 and then jumps to 389 basically. Any idea on when that gap will be filled?
You'll likely have to just grab the fansubs.

vareon

Uchip said:
so does everyone agree that strong world was the best movie?

The hype killed it for me unfortunately. All the talk of it being canon, that prologue chapter Oda made for this, the movie being hyped as "Luffy & other's last adventure" (or something like that) and in the end it was just...like any other One Piece movie, only a bit better.

An OK movie but I still liked movie 6 best.

I been watching One Piece on Hulu Plus recently & have to say I'm disappointed.

The animation around the save Ace arc is absolutely terrible. Huge downgrade from what I remember seeing.

I remember when One Piece was started, it had such a unique art style to it, but now it is just generic crap, badly animated generic crap at that.
Are there any episodes like with Naruto that have special animation teams?

Anth0ny

See You Next Wednesday said:
I been watching One Piece on Hulu Plus recently & have to say I'm disappointed.

The animation around the save Ace arc is absolutely terrible. Huge downgrade from what I remember seeing.

I remember when One Piece was started, it had such a unique art style to it, but now it is just generic crap, badly animated generic crap at that.
Are there any episodes like with Naruto that have special animation teams?

Yes. In the war arc, however, it was usually just certain scenes as opposed to full episodes.

In other words, they'd blow entire episode budgets on single, epic scenes.

Top Bottom